Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kyouryuuger VS Go-Busters movie released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/ZyuDen_Sen ... Go-Busters

AbareRed is a druggy evil guy again? Are we back to W?!

Why is every situation where Youko meets the girl this weird girly girl situation. I don't really get it, since she's portrayed as such a tomboy in the rest of the series (that's what a real tomboy is like, Amy!)

Where did Escape's shots go when she was shooting Youko and Amy at point range.

Some of the CGI was bad in this movie. ZyuRanger's Tyrannosaurus was terrible looking. And it looks like the CGI guy forgot to draw in a background for the ZyuRangers and Abarangers in their mechs.

I have a few nerdy nitpicks. While I can accept there being back ups of Enter and Escape, this Enter should not have the Dark Buster power-up. That wouldn't make any sense.

No AbareBlack or Killer? I also would have liked to have seen Nakamura and Morishita again too. A pity.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Kyouryuuger VS Go-Busters movie released

Post by DaVinci030 »

takenoko wrote:I also would have liked to have seen Nakamura and Morishita again too. A pity.
You're right.

Speaking of which, Yayoi uses the lines for Nakamura. LOL
takenoko wrote:Some of the CGI was bad in this movie. ZyuRanger's Tyrannosaurus was terrible looking. And it looks like the CGI guy forgot to draw in a background for the ZyuRangers and Abarangers in their mechs.
CGI of Tyrannosaurous wasn't the same as normal.

So the original ZyuRangers are back as the voice-over while Geki is acting. (I thought the actor of TyrannoRanger Geki retires from acting.)

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I just realized the buddies aren't here either, aside from Nick and J. Bummer.
prsentai
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club

Post by prsentai »

It's really sad, but I think last year's VS set a trend of non-mixing between teams. I'm not sure if this year was just because of the dino festival, but just like last year, the Busters had a completely separate fight from the current team, even if this year's had a bit more relevance to the plot. Though incredibly notable is the fact that there was no double-team roll-call with Kyoryu and the Busters, with them opting instead to do the triple dino team roll-call. I think the entire Go-Busters team got sidelined this year, considering that so many people were left out, probably again because of the dino festival. And I must say, the ToQ cameo was absolutely, completely terrible, but I'm glad it didn't interrupt the flow of the movie. Though I am not having the easiest time learning the ED dance.
Kiva Jyu Fly Ken Tatsulot
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

One of the biggest criticisms that was resounding throughout the fandom even before this movie was released in theaters was that the Go-Busters were getting pushed out of their own versus movie. Having actually seen the movie, I don’t get how people can still say that. Yes, the Kyouryuugers and Go-Busters didn’t have the joint transformation and back-to-back roll call scene. Would I have liked to see that? Sure. But it’s not a bad movie or a movie that ignores the Go-Busters just because that one tradition is missing.

I rewatched nearly all of the Sentai Versus movies a few months back, and it was easy to forget how short the movies used to be when they were direct-to-video releases. They didn’t do the best of jobs at spreading the focus on all of the regular cast members back then. To me, the Go-Busters/Kyouryuugers parts of this movie feel like they fit in that older era.

I loved seeing Mochizuki Yuuta on screen again. To be honest, my feelings for Zyuranger range from ambivalence to outright dislike. The show just never clicked for me. But I am a huge fan of the Sailor Moon musicals, and Mochizuki Yuuta’s presence over the first half of the musicals’ run really endeared him to my heart. I would probably be happy to watch him in anything.

As a series, I have generally positive feelings toward Abaranger. I liked all the characters, but none stood out too much. What I can’t get over is how little Ryouga’s actor has changed over the years. I cracked up with the way he ran past the line-up, then went back so he wasn’t in front of everyone. Yukito’s scene in the base was really enjoyable too. It was good to see them.

Considering they haven’t been off the air for that long, I was surprised by how happy I got after seeing the Kyouryuugers in their first scene. I ended up loving all of the characters from that series, so it was like seeing family again. However, I think I enjoyed the Go-Busters scenes the most. I thought they were well-written and had some great interactions with the Kyouryuugers early on in the movie as well as in the base with Torin and Yayoi. I loved the old man trio. It’s rare that a Japanese pun translates well, but the Gold will go-old made sense in both languages. The abuse heaped on Hiromu to knock him out of a chicken-induced freeze is never not funny. I love that they took advantage of Torin’s name to revive that gag.

I didn’t miss Gorisaki and Usada’s presence until I finished the movie and started reflecting on it. Kind of strange in hindsight.

Chief among my criticisms of this movie are the evil Kyouryuugers (and Abared and Tyranoranger). I don’t find fault that they made them “evil”, although that’s getting to be a bit repetitive, but the pacing of it. They were good, they were evil, they were good again - I recognize that the movie only had a finite number of minutes, but a plot point like that usually spans most of the movie. Maybe it’s because they blended it with the scene in the base, but it was almost over before they got started.

Even with Daigo’s comment very early on about the T-rex having green eyes, it didn’t click for me that it was Gabutyra until very late in the movie. I had it stuck in my head from the TV commercials that the dinosaur was the villain, so I had trouble picturing it as anything else.

Speaking of the villains, I think they were the biggest problem I had with the movie. I’m glad that Geki said Griffozer’s name as soon as he appeared, because I would not have connected the two otherwise. Gairton resembled Geildon enough that I got the connection by myself. But besides the resemblance to notable villains from the earlier dinosaur sentai series, they just didn’t strike me as threatening villains. It was nice to see Enter and Escape again, but (excuse the pun) they felt like cheap copies of the characters they were by the end of Go-Busters. And the great CGI meteor-dinosaur-flower monstrosity at the end was just ugly.

I do have to criticize something that I never did during either series - and that is the civilian fight scene after the Kyouryuugers come back from their trip through time. Obviously, the fights are choreographed, but this is the first time I can think of in a long time where it looked choreographed. Punches and kicks being telegraphed, characters that were on top of each other distancing themselves so they could get the proper angles with their guns to miss, gratuitous slow-motion, etc. I had to check the credits, because that did not look like something I would expect to see with Sakamoto Koichi as the director.

I like that they incorporated the choreography for both series’ ending dances into the movie theme’s dance choreography, but the at points the new bits make everyone look like they were spasming. It got a little too complicated for their own good. The perfectionist in me is also a little annoyed that they let some people lip-sync the lyrics but not everyone. Well, at least everyone got to join in.

The post-credits cameo by the Toqgers is kind of bizarre, but in a fun way. Also, it’s unintentionally funny that it looks like the costuming department only had created suits in all the colors for Ichigou by this point in Toqger’s pre-production.

Final thought - I’m bummed that there was no Kyouryuuya reference. This movie even had the Abarangers in it!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Eh? Gairton is supposed to be the exact same name as the Abaranger equivalent?

The design of the end boss was supposed to have been a six headed dinosaur, but I don't think that was conveyed in the CGI. I like the idea of the dinosaur sentai fighting one of their own, but the execution's not there. And it wasn't until I was reading up on it after the movie that I learned that the evil Kyouryuuger symbol is representative of the six-headed dinosaur guy.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

The Go-Busters were just there for exposition, plot purposes, and messages about keeping your buddies alive. Sure they were there more than I expected but it's still the Triple Dino Orgy featuring the Go-Busters. Besides not being in the massive fight until the end of the giant fight. By the way, they did get shafted in that fight with only having Lioh being there as a mere shield head.

I just can't shrug off these feelings toward it because of the way it was marketed and such. If it was just the Triple Dino Orgy and not have the Go-Busters in it, I would be totally fine with it but the CMs focused way too much on the Dino Orgy aspect.

I would defend Youko in the scene with her and Amy because she was slowly becoming more like a girl at the end of the Go-Busters.

The villains were blah and usually I'm with fine the massive CG battle at the end but this time no way. Bordoss was just a mess and ZyuRanger's Tyranno's head wasn't shaped properly. I guess they blew the budget on that so there wasn't money to make a CGI cockpit for Zyu or Aba.

Yayoi counting down like Nakamara was funny.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Phoenix512 wrote:Yayoi counting down like Nakamara was funny.
I agree. Real funny.

Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

ZyuRanger is, without a doubt, my favorite Sentai, so of course I loved every minute of this. It's really a shame we didn't get DragonRanger, AbareBlack, AbareKiller, KyoryuCyan, KyoryuGrey or KyoryuViolet in on the big fight at the end, but there was probably only so much room in the budget. I can forgive lack of cockpits, plot holes and stuff happening just to have stuff happen. This was a nostalgia piece, pure and simple (much like "Day of the Doctor") and it works quite well for that.

My only complaint is that Go-Busters and ToQGer were here at all and, in fact, exist and are not just horrible, horrible nightmares I keep having...
tr0jance
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Mayuko Arisue
Favorite Band: Loaded Diaper
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Imagination
Quote: (silently fades in shadows)
Type: INFP Healer

Post by tr0jance »

Haven't watch it yet, but the HD stuff's are having issues on my phone, maybe it's just my phone, It's really odd the pack is for SD but only the movie is SD..
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

If nothing else, this VS movie strikes me as having an especially thin plot. Granted, thin plots are something of a staple of Sentai movies since they're just action movies, but Kyouryuuger VS Go-Busters was even thinner than usual. They essentially just threw out set pieces and filmed a movie from that. Where does Bordoss come from? Who cares, let's get back to fighting!

Then again, Sentai movie plots are typically a disaster. So while we have fighting being driven by the thinnest of plots, it may still have been better than the alternative of something SHT-caliber.

Also, the ToGGer appearance can only be suitably classified as "weird." The fact that it's a stinger and not part of the movie itself is actually kind of neat. But it's slapstick in a terrible way. The music is (sadly) very fitting for how it was handled.
takenoko wrote: Some of the CGI was bad in this movie. ZyuRanger's Tyrannosaurus was terrible looking.
Ditto to this; it was noticeably bad and they couldn't even get the proportions right. And did anyone else notice that Daizyujin didn't take part in the attack on Bordoss? It makes me wonder if they only have the Daizyujin hero suit, but we saw Daizyujin fighting in the previous VS.
PHurricane wrote:One of the biggest criticisms that was resounding throughout the fandom even before this movie was released in theaters was that the Go-Busters were getting pushed out of their own versus movie. Having actually seen the movie, I don’t get how people can still say that. Yes, the Kyouryuugers and Go-Busters didn’t have the joint transformation and back-to-back roll call scene. Would I have liked to see that? Sure. But it’s not a bad movie or a movie that ignores the Go-Busters just because that one tradition is missing.
That's admittedly a fair point. This still never should have happened, but I will give Toei credit for finding a way to keep the Go-Busters in there. It could have been much worse.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Takenoko decided not to do SD versions of the CMs. The CMs are at 1080p by the way.

I do have to give credit on the job they did for recreating the breaking of the earth for Neo-Griffzor giant growing sequence. It was very well done.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

Never thought I'd see the day when Babel Attack actually worked. :P
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

I liked the Toqger arriving late. That's what trains do, being late.
Also, Right just doing what he want while the four others are watching, and then complaining about him stealing the spotlight.
I liked the pairing between him and Kagura. Another shipping maybe?

Escape seemed to enjoy dancing and I liked that they didn't forgot the other Red Buster.
Too bad the backup for Jin can only be used one, maybe it's just a matter of energy or of stress on the hardware.

So, Youko finally learnt some English. But no shipping between Hiromi and Youko, too bad.

At least Yayoi was there even if she didn't get to fight, and the parallel between her and Nakamura was nice.

As always, the 1080p doesn't play right whatever player I'm using. The SD and the 720p tend to always work though.
TankCoyote
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Joe
Favorite Actor?: Gai
Favorite Band: Yes
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: my GF
Quote: GOKAICHANGE! GoooookaiSiiiilver!

Post by TankCoyote »

Kamen Rider Gumo wrote:ZyuRanger is, without a doubt, my favorite Sentai, so of course I loved every minute of this. It's really a shame we didn't get DragonRanger, AbareBlack, AbareKiller, KyoryuCyan, KyoryuGrey or KyoryuViolet in on the big fight at the end, but there was probably only so much room in the budget. I can forgive lack of cockpits, plot holes and stuff happening just to have stuff happen. This was a nostalgia piece, pure and simple (much like "Day of the Doctor") and it works quite well for that.

My only complaint is that Go-Busters and ToQGer were here at all and, in fact, exist and are not just horrible, horrible nightmares I keep having...
OR KyouryuuNavy

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”