KR Gaim 46 released

Such a fruit
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: KR Gaim 46 released

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:
ViRGE wrote:I do feel like Mai got marginalized towards the end though. She became a plot device rather than a person. Her final episode is her basically following Kouta. It's an unsatisfactory conclusion to a character that started out a lot stronger/interesting. And telling a 17 year old to be fruitful and multiply just comes off as all kinds of weird here...
Agreed. Funny how her job of "choose the next king of the golden fruit" turned into "you two, fight to win the hand of the princess' love for marriage". And considering the implication that they're going off to make a bunch of Helheim babbies, it's a little more creepy?

I mean, it's hard not to notice that when Kaito was telling Mai that he would have her, we don't really get what Mai's reaction is. Because she doesn't have one, because they need to make it okay for her to end up with either Kaito or Kouta in order for the conflict to work. If Mai just went "Oh, I will only give the fruit to Kouta, go fuck off, Kaito" there would be no last battle.

Also "Mai, go wait in pocket dimension for your knight to save/marry you."

So while everything else in the writing in Gaim is superb, it's a bit sad that it has this as one of its flaws.
And to be fair, doing a lousy job with the female sidekick is practically a Kamen Rider trope. But Gaim had so much more potential; it was doing much better with Mai until she got kidnapped for the final time.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

ViRGE wrote:
takenoko wrote:Deleting my quote since it's not relevent
And to be fair, doing a lousy job with the female sidekick is practically a Kamen Rider trope. But Gaim had so much more potential; it was doing much better with Mai until she got kidnapped for the final time.
I'll admit, the way female characters ended up handled in this show was, sadly, not as good as it could have been, but maybe it was an editorial decision, and Urobuchi did the best he could with what he was told?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I guess the weird thing for me is that, Mai always seemed to be more attracted to Kaito. Sure, Kouta is her good friend, but there was never any chemistry there.

The love triangle just doesn't work because they never expressed Mai's indecision between picking between Kouta and Kaito.

But nitpicks aside, a great work with a few problems doesn't make it any less of a great work. Would definitely eat at Urobutcher's again.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote:I guess the weird thing for me is that, Mai always seemed to be more attracted to Kaito. Sure, Kouta is her good friend, but there was never any chemistry there.

The love triangle just doesn't work because they never expressed Mai's indecision between picking between Kouta and Kaito.

But nitpicks aside, a great work with a few problems doesn't make it any less of a great work. Would definitely eat at Urobutcher's again.
really? unless I've been misinformed, the official site for the show says that she's in love with Kouta.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Conan_Edogawa wrote:
takenoko wrote:I guess the weird thing for me is that, Mai always seemed to be more attracted to Kaito. Sure, Kouta is her good friend, but there was never any chemistry there.

really? unless I've been misinformed, the official site for the show says that she's in love with Kouta.
If that's the case they did a terrible job of showing it. I'm in agreement with Takenoko on that one.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/gaimu/cast/

I don't see anything about that. Although I am surprised to see that the character profile is updated up to this episode. All that it says is that she's Kouta's childhood friend (trope childhood friend) and that she takes care of Team Gaim like an older sister (trope sisterly friend who takes care of things)
FudgeNuggetPug
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by FudgeNuggetPug »

I didn’t write last week because I wanted write on the final battle.

It was awesome, there was action, but not because like, “I’M GOING TO FIGHT YOU BECAUSE I AM.” But there was something riding on each of them. It felt like Kouta never really wanted the fruit, but the only way to stop Kaito is to kill him. But Kaito was not bad, just like Kouta said, he just chose a different path to achieve it.

Sagara’s words,"be fruitful, etc." and First Man and Woman. Somewhat reminds me of the bible, which was quite interesting and well done.

Questions though:
Kouta said that he wanted to fulfill Kaito’s wish, right?
So, to do so, he just leaves it as it is, but sucks the Inves into an another planet.
Wouldn’t that still make the world, I don’t know the way it was; which Kaito wanted to change?
Was the wish really granted?

I’m glad that Micchi didn’t die not because I like him, but~

He kept backstabbing (sometimes literally backstabbed) everyone he knew, only to lose the most precious “thing” he cared about. His relation with his brother is probably is the only thing left. Granted, he did put him in a coma, but he regrets his actions and now in a state of confusion.

His brother, Takatora, being alive is very refreshing. Because let’s be honest, he doesn’t deserve a death like that because he was not a bad guy overall. He had a lot of things to shoulder like trying to save humanity, only to get betrayed by his “friend” Prof. Ryouma.

I actually liked the scene with Takatora and Kouta and even though Kouta is gone, he still cares for Micchi despite everything they have gone through. Even Takatora (in my opinion) cared for his brother, but doesn’t what to do. (and getting put into a coma by him, kinda ruins the relationship)

Also, I think Mai was more into Kaito. I mean the last two episodes and other episodes (can't say which) she was more into Kaito than Kouta. Also Kaito is somewhat into Mai. (I don't know, that's what I think) Because the Kouta/Mai scenes didn't really have much impact than to Kaito/Mai.

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode, but kinda confused about next week’s episode. I just really don’t hope they force a happy ending like Philip returning all the sudden in W.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Kouta said that he wanted to fulfill Kaito’s wish, right?
So, to do so, he just leaves it as it is, but sucks the Inves into an another planet.
Wouldn’t that still make the world, I don’t know the way it was; which Kaito wanted to change?

I kind of feel like they didn't really grant Kaito's wish. Sure, maybe their new world will be the utopia that Kaito wanted, but this world where the strong step on the weak is still going to be around. Then again, Kaito's solution to that was to kill almost everyone, so maybe it doesn't really invalidate Kaito's wish.

>I’m glad that Micchi didn’t die not because I like him, but~

I'm glad someone else likes Micchi.
MVZ-800
7X
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Video games

Post by MVZ-800 »

I guess with Takatora being alive at the end, it gives a resolution to Mitsuzane's story. A sacrificial death would have been too common, and a lingering presence wouldn't have provided resolution.

I'm hinging on next week's "finale" (spin-off) being that the new rider is an offshoot of Kouta; the dark side that left him once he took the forbidden fruit! But I could be wrong.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

takenoko wrote:>Kouta said that he wanted to fulfill Kaito’s wish, right?

I kind of feel like they didn't really grant Kaito's wish. Sure, maybe their new world will be the utopia that Kaito wanted, but this world where the strong step on the weak is still going to be around. Then again, Kaito's solution to that was to kill almost everyone, so maybe it doesn't really invalidate Kaito's wish.
Well, to be able to grant exactly Kaito's wish, for HIS world to be one where strength isn't what decides all, they would have to destroy the world, which we've established Kouta strongly does not want. So, I'm pretty sure, the idea is that they would make a new world, with the Inves, where Kaito's ideas where strength is not the determining factor can be created fresh, without the need of the world Kouta was protecting ending up destroyed. bit of a stretch but still.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
andyreal
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Iwashimizu Luna
Favorite Actor?: Miura Ryousuke
Favorite Band: Aqua Timez
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Ore Sanjou
Quote: Finish what you leaved undone

Post by andyreal »

Oh really? I always ship Kouta and Mai
KamenRiderScar
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Yes
Favorite Band: A little bit of all
Quote: "It doesn't take the world's greatest nations to create the next global conflict, just the will of a single man." -Makarov
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by KamenRiderScar »

I called it. Takatora is not only alive but he's seemingly unscaved.
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
Dreamy: UM SNAKE DAD
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Making music videos!
Quote: We're the Heroes of Our Time

Post by Gottis »

I've never seen Kouta/Mai, and this is NOT just because I ship Kouta with Takatora. >_> I've always thought Mai had better chemistry with Kaito. Maybe, I think, it's just that their ideologies differ so much, that she eventually chose Kouta for the Fruit instead? (I wouldn't know, I can't really pinpoint her character at all.) I loved the episode though, especially the 3 months later thing. Much because Micchi has somehow turned into my favorite character, and seeing how he's coping with his fall from grace is heart-wrenching in a good way. (I also spot Zack/Micchi possibilities, and that makes me happy~) Zack though... He still has a limp after three months? That can't be good, can it? =/ The conversation inside Takatora's mind made my shippy heart happy. ^.^
Finished: All Heisei
Watching: Zi-O
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

What an uplifting and bittersweet ending. I love it. Gaim is definitely one of my favorite KR series for sure. What a ride it has been, just wow.

To the question of fulfilling Kaito's wish, I'm guessing Kouta and Mai will create a world free of oppression. (In the new world of course) As for Earth, there's not much they can do to keep Kaito's wish here. Humanity must decide their own fate for better or worse since it's their birthright, to rule them would be exactly what Micchi tried to do. Or one can just kill all the worthless, which is what Kaito tried to do. Either way, Kouta's decision to paint the world is pretty meaningful, leave it as is.

Don't know how the next episode is gonna be, but if it sucks, I'm just gonna pretend this is the finale.
HyperDrake
Gabu
Favorite series: BLADE
2nd Favorite Series: KUUGA
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: "Rotten branches weaken even a great tree."

Post by HyperDrake »

takenoko wrote:Haha, Kouta turned into an anime guy. Funny how the Femushinmu turned into monsters while Kouta and Mai just became more caucasian-looking.
Despite the change in her looks, Mai still retains her human form (just like Rosyuo's lover did). But I wonder how in the world Kouta has yet to have his own monster form (either standard Inves or Overlord) after:
1. He has used Kiwami Lockseed (which was created from a seed of Golden Fruit) many times
2. He has eaten a regular Helheim fruit (which turned Yuya and Hase into Inves and Kaito into Overlord)
3. He has eaten the Golden fruit itself
I mean it's kinda odd that only Kouta to still not have his own monster form.
Phoenix512 wrote:Hase being dead is a secret since the truth of him turning into an Inves would be too hard for people to accept. It's probably better for them not to know the full truth behind what happened to Hase.
With all due respect to Hase, is he that special to the point that it would be too hard for people to accept him being an Inves?
More so than Kaito being Overlord, Yuya being Inves (and killed by Kouta), Kouta having Overlord's power (now Man of the Beginning) and Mai being Woman of the Beginning? It's much better if people were to know the fate of Hase, especially for Jonouchi so he can move on.
ViRGE wrote:And telling a 17 year old to be fruitful and multiply just comes off as all kinds of weird here...
Aside from that, how do the rest of Kouta's and Mai's offsprings to keep being fruitful and multiply? Incest?

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”