KR Drive 01 released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How are you liking Drive so far?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:13 pm

5 Great
27%
4 Good
44%
3 Neutral
28%
2 Bad
2%
1 Terrible
No votes

Total votes: 64
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Re: KR Drive 01 released

Post by HarryFA1 »

Gotta say, I found this episode pretty underwhelming. The prologue scenes were fine (for the most part), & the first half of the episode was ok. But the second half of the episode seemed too much like a toy commercial. Granted, Rider & Sentai pretty much exist to sell toys, but there's a way of being subtle about it.

Some general notes:

-Why do we even need Drive? It seems like the Shift Cars can just 1-hit KO-ing all the Roimuid by themselves. It's like having a bunch of Fang Memories, or Mini-Denliners.
-Speaking of which, I find the Shift Cars really silly (yes I know we just had Fruit locks, but still). Maybe I'd be ok with them if they didn't make the stupid "beep beep" sounds.
-And as for the Roimuid, I really like their aesthetic. They give off this cool, twisted machinary kinda vibe.
-Solid opening theme by Eternal himself; Mitsuru Matsuoka.
-"You've forgotten how to start your Engine", "It looks like he shifted into gear", "The road just got wider." Aaargh! Stop it with all the car metaphors!
-I know it's "Funky Spike", but I'm pretty sure we all heard something different.
-Did that Roimuid have 2 numbers?
-That was pretty unique Rider Kick. Don't think I've ever seen anyone use the 'pinball' technique before.
-There definately wasn't much focus on the "mystery" this episode. Gotta show off them Hot Wheels!
-I'm left with a bunch of questions, such as; Did they just give Shinnosuke the car without telling him anything? Did Shinnosuke ever think it weird he was given a race car to do police work? Why does Drive need to be kept a secret from the rest of the special cases department? They're all cops so why does it matter? But I'm guessing these will be answered later on (if at all).

Like I said, I felt this was a pretty rough start for Drive. But hey, sometimes a rough start results in a really solid show. I mean look at Blade for instance. In any case, I'll be sticking with Drive for now, we'll see where it goes.
Kilowog
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: That's a secret :-P
Favorite Actor?: too many
Favorite Band: too many
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: OOO
Quote: "Life goes on. If you make struggle with your seriousness you will not feel an uneasiness."

Post by Kilowog »

Oh, Cool!! Another talking belt!

While I love Kivat, this one is actually more laid back and "cool" :)

I'm liking the car a lot. While I heard it transforms it's odd seeing the two wheels on the top back. I still like the car XD. Did I tell you l like the car? lol Sorry, it is a sweet ride and awesome that a big company can come up with something like this :)

It's nice to see the police force being the main focus and doing things. While the police have done some things in past series it has been a while.

As a car enthusiast I can say that I like the theme and execution of Drive's abilities. His finisher blew my mind!

The Shift Cars are interesting! Wish these things were around when I was a kid; all I had were Hot Wheels XD

The villains, truth be told, seem rather intimidating with their powers and design.

But yea overall this picked up rather well from our fun with Gaim.
Shanneene
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
My boom: hitop sneakers

Post by Shanneene »

I usually wait until a few episodes are available, and then I will watch it, and have a mini marathon of it. That being said, this looks to be a great new Kamen Rider series. :)
jomelcaelum
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kyouryuger
2nd Favorite Series: Wizard and Gokaiger
Favorite Band: The Black Mages
My boom: Final Fantasy Series

Post by jomelcaelum »

I'm having fun on all Kamen Riders when i started watching it every week here in TV-Nihon since Kamen Rider Wizard and I think that Drive is unique and cool! The 1st episode feels like they are introducing all Drive's powers and i like the Drive Kick Combo too! I hope more actions to it and effects! :)
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

I'm having mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the plot looks very interesting, and it's a global phenomenon! (hmm... Happiness Charge Pretty Cure also had the Phantom Empire invasion be a global thing... I wonder if we will see cameos of global riders just like HapCharge...)

Also like the fact that the victims weren't actually killed, our main character-san was smart enough to deduced that, and I'd like to see where this is going.

On the other hand, the CGI looks very cheap; if they keep spamming this kind of cars-on-tracks effects every episode, it's going to get annoying fast.

I didn't care much about the numbered monsters but the three main antagonists (I assume they are antagonists, from the looks of the OP even though we only saw one of them at the end) look interesting, even better if they were human and commanding/manipulating the monsters.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

HarryFA1 wrote:-Why do we even need Drive? It seems like the Shift Cars can just 1-hit KO-ing all the Roimuid by themselves. It's like having a bunch of Fang Memories, or Mini-Denliners.
Because Shift Cars can't completely kill a Roidmude by themselves (but then again, Drive can't kill some of them either).

Also it's Roidmude now. That's what Toei has the spelling as.
narshkajke
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Kiba Yuuji
Favorite Actor?: Tetsuo Kurata
Quote: If ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think…. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart.. I’ll always be with you -winnie the pooh-

Post by narshkajke »

death by hot wheels, wow, just wow.
The monster seems competent in the first half, killing many people, stopping time and stuff, but then getting curb-stomped by toy cars.

So let me get this straight, the police department don't know about him being a kamen rider? and his car and him as a kamen rider is a secret?
So why nobody asking why he got a weird red car as a police car??

on the plus side, defeating 3 monsters on the first episode? That's a new record
kyoichikiller90
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

Is it me or do you guys realized that Kamen Rider Drive first appeared to be black suits and not red?
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

The Black Drive is probably going to be like the White Wizard. We are going to see it thoughout OR somehow the Belt was a person who was the Black Drive.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

So, it's Kabuto meets W? I'm hoping I'm not the only one that thinks of Kabuto's clock up with the whole speed down speed up thing.

Wish Tendou can step in and be like "let me show you how it's done. Henshin. Clock up! Kills all monsters before Drive even get to blink."

Okay back to the episode.

Not a bad start actually. I have a feeling I'm gonna like the OP song. It already kinda sticks to my head now. Gonna take a little getting used to with the goofy vibes after weeks of heavy stuffs from Gaim, but this looks like there's going to be some underlining of a darker tone. Maybe it will end up being more like Den-O than W.

Speaking of which, I hope they don't overdo the goofy-ness. A little here or there is good, but I prefer subtlety over in-your-face-kind. I hated Akiko's antics in W. Though Kiriko throwing her slippers boots at Shinno is some real nod at Akiko.

Why does Drive needs to go into all 4 forms in one episode? Jeez.

But it's a rather decent and enjoyable episode. Looking forward to the next spin!
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
gmottl
Mega
Favorite series: Rider-Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: ppgz, mrr, too many
Dreamy: fourze girls, luka
Favorite Actor?: jirou zanki garulu
Favorite Band: nightwish
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: MLP:FIM
Quote: just because you're a genius doesn't mean your a smart guy- PPG narrator
just because i'm an idiot doesn't mean i'm stupid- Spencer Shay

Post by gmottl »

worst part about episode 1- it's episode one, now i have to wait a week for more of this. i was really into gaim but now it's like "gaim who". cant wait for more.
Anyone remember when the news didn't want to make you punch the nearest thing to you, me neither.
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

HarryFA1 wrote: -I know it's "Funky Spike", but I'm pretty sure we all heard something different.
XD Glad to see I wasn't the only one. "F.ing Spike"

*EDIT* We go from *Dancing Fruit Ninja* to *Hot Wheels Detective* that gives me a RyuKenDo feel.
Last edited by Uzur9 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
Vraptor140

Post by Vraptor140 »

Glad to finally see the full episode, and it seems like it'll be an interesting story. I've seen the complaints about arcs but I think we got here a good compromise, Drive finished the roimude but it'll be back with a new body as well as with the resolution to the mystery.

As this is the first episode I do want to comment on the subs, particularly on the tire change effect, the tire silhouettes are fine but maybe their actual logos would work better since there's a chance some might end up looking the same in the current ones.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh, you mean like use the logo on Drive's belt? That's probably a good idea.
KamenRiderRival
Vaglass
Vaglass
Favorite series: KR OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Dreamy: Ankh/Enter <3
My boom: Kamen Rider Mortal
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by KamenRiderRival »

WHOOOO! I've been waiting for this to be subbed by you guys! :D

I got the OT subs so I could watch it earlier and on several rewatches my thoughts are pretty much consistent. I really liked the pace of this episode, it was a good mix between character introductions and the obligatory showing off of the new Rider and his gimmick. To me, the Shift Cars are perfectly fine, their 'beeps' make them feel more alive and I love the fact they can beat a baddie, somewhat, on their own. The fact that they can't permanently destroy it, doesn't make them feel over powered.
The characters are easy going and none seem to be dismissible as of yet, though Tomari seems to be a mix of Shoutarou and Eiji to me - the detective background and the laid-backness respectively and the tragic personal back story can apply to both - but it's early days so I hope he gets his own personality soon. The belt though, oh that belt. I was really worried it would be a flop - a terrible AI character - but actually I really like him so far. The voice is really cool, the dialogue is good that only thing I have against him is the god-damn awful faces he pulls on the Drive Driver (fabulous name I think! XD).
Although I love Drive's design, I wasn't 100% sold of the massive tire, and on seeing the suit without it doesn't make the decision easier, but because I also like the gimmick I can live with it if I decide against it. With Type Speed, it works well imo. I'll withhold the final judgement until I see more of Drive's other types (Wild and Technique) and of course his upgrades.
Gimmick was, like I said, well handled - yes it was flashy to show off the toys if you're a bit cynical - and I'm excited to see more of them. I love the names: MAX FLARE! FUNKY SPIKE! MIDNIGHT SHADOW! Also I love the fact the Tire Change (or Koukan) is produced by that awesome car. Nice touch.
On the subject of the car, it's flashy and red and looks awesome. That's about it, I don't overtly care that much about. I come for the fighting and characters, not the bikes/cars :P
And the opening. It's strong and clear and thankfully not so much of an earworm! Surprise Drive seems to reflect a more toned down approach to Kamen Rider this series, compared to the in-yer-face JUST LIVE MORE we had with Gaim just past. Also is it just me, or does this opening have a LOT of English words and phrases in it?

As for ze subs and that, I'm not personally 100% set on the typeset for general speech for some reason (it may change as the series continues), but Mr. Belt's speech and the baddie people's are really good. Also, thank you for keeping 'Tire Change', I saw it subbed as 'Tire Switch' somewhere and cringed. I have to admit though, the effects for said Tire Changes are absolutely brilliant. I love them, the fact you use the Tires themselves, rather then their symbols on the Driver, is a real nice touch. And the effect for the 'FL-FL-FLARE!' and whatever was great too (though from seeing a toy review, not sure about the whole 3 times lever thing being repeated, but that's a nitpick).

Drive on! :D
Finished:
Super Sentai: Gekiranger, Go-Busters, Kyoryuger
Kamen Rider: Den-O, OOO, Gaim

Current:
SS: ToQger
KR: W, Kiva, Drive

Check me out on DA: http://dragonsaregaia.deviantart.com/
Or on FanFiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/~kamenriderrival

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”