KR Drive 19 Released

I'm a fine-tuned supersonic speed machine
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Drive Wiki Link

< Gaim | Drive | Ghost >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

KR Drive 19 Released

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Drive_19

I was actually feeling this episode. It started out really good, a great explanation why Tachibana did what he did, a wonderful backstory for Akie, and actual (gasp) character development!

I'm not sure how much a non-Japanese viewer can appreciate the enka jokes though. It's like jazz or blues, there are some people who understand it and can feel the emotion behind it, and some can't.

It was actually going really well this episode. And then THAT FUCKING EXPLANATION. I mean, really. What. The Hell.

No writers, you do not just get to say "I found a pattern." You have to tell us what the pattern is or else it just looks like you pulled it out of your ass.

You also don't get to have Shinnosuke find the fucking button OFFSCREEN (y'know, that button that an entire police force was looking for for about 6 months or so and couldn't find but you found in 2 hours) and then claim that he found 2 perfect fingerprints (from 5 years ago) on it that were enough to convict.

That's bullshit and you know it.

I really liked this episode up until that point. You could have told me anything, make up a button-finding skill for the Shift Cars, having Otta look at a list and say "It's always a rich woman every 3rd victim" or something like that, I really don't care. This was just sheer laziness and completely ruined the episode for me.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: KR Drive 19 Released

Post by OOOKaiser »

I agreed with Lunagel with how badly the writing was done near the end. Other than that I liked the beginning of the episode.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I feel like tokusatsu makes lots of enka jokes.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I really liked the episode. Yeah, the explanation is bullshit, but the heart was in the right place, and it was fun and entertaining and kind of even a little moving at the end with Gen and Tachibana-san.

So Gen, what WAS the pattern between the victims? You've got to say these things. Also, Kiriko's legs are amazing.

I think the actual cultural stuff will fly over people's heads, but I think most people will get that Gen is an old fashioned detective from a time long gone, like Enka and Decoration Trucks. (Wasn't there a decoration truck in Tampopo? Hmm, guess it was just a regular truck with horns on it)

The culprit is always the cameraman!
Arigomi
Save the life
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

For some reason, I kept expecting a bittersweet ending to go with the old fashioned cop drama. My imagination ran wild as I came up with a ridiculous plot where the brother was actually Judge all along and had somehow faked his own death to assume a new identity. In retrospect, my concept would be difficult to execute without having Tachibana and Akie ending up emotionally devastated.

It was really creepy the way that Akie was standing at the scene while Shinnosuke searched for the evidence. She was like a ghost that appeared out of thin air.

Akie's broken engagement was surprising to me. I didn't release that modern Japanese families are still unwilling to look past dishonor by association. I would understand if the she still had contact with her brother but he is dead.

Won't they get into trouble for letting Tachibana go? The culprit was a witness to it as well.
megamanx132
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen rider Kiva
Quote: All those who lay eyes on a Gundam shall not live to tell about it.

Post by megamanx132 »

So do you think that Drive and Mach will be switching out every episode which one uses Deadheat, cause so far it seems that way. Very good start for the episode but the detective work needs some doing hell Detective Conan does better actual detective work. Mostly because they actually tell you the methods but still.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I also don't like how we got no explanation about who the villain (I can't remember his name) really was and what was his motivation.

Also, is Chase immortal? It's kind of depressing that he gets defeated every episode.

I desperately want this series to get better, but it seems like the staff really aren't trying.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

The Car-Fu this episode was pretty neat, if not a bit short.

What was with that scene in the garage? Could they not get Go's actor at the time?

I could've done without the heart-to-heart with Otta & Commercial. "Talking to this toy deco-truck has fueled me with Burning Justice!"

The resolution to the episode revolves around finding a button? Man, where's Nago when you need him?

"I knew you would target this request first because I read ahead in the script!"

Yet again they refuse to cuff someone who is obviously guilty! I don't care if his intentions were good, he orchestrated several acts of vigilantism & had a clear intention of interfering with Police business. "But he learned his lesson, so I guess it's ok". Jeez, I hope this doesn't start becoming a habbit.

As mentioned before, this episode started out good, but quickly came down to average/mediocre. Fingers crossed for next time I guess.
Katiana
Adventure
Favorite series: too many to list
Favorite Band: Eyeshine
My boom: Toku

Post by Katiana »

HarryFA1 wrote:
The resolution to the episode revolves around finding a button? Man, where's Nago when you need him?
*Laughs more than this probably warranted* I had to reply just because of this comment.

I have to agree with everyone else though. This episode started out good and then really got mediocre about midway through. Though I had to laugh at Gen and his comments about Shinnosuke's "Mini-cars" (not sure if this is what you guys put since I go to Over-Time for their fast subs and come here for the often hilarious discussions that I usually end up stalking and occasionally posting on).

As somebody else pointed out, I'm getting tired of Chaser showing up, fighting either Go or Shinnosuke and then having his ass handed to him seconds later. He used to actually pose a problem for Drive and now he's just more of a character that gets temporarily in the way and is way too obvious in all his reveals. If he ends up getting over his brainwashing somehow and going back to being a Rider I am not going to be surprised.

Also does anybody else think his attachments, especially the Spider thing, look ridiculously like Bionicle weapons in both the way they sit on his armor and just the design in general.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

The button wasn't even buried under the mud, the police should be fully capable of finding it 5 years ago. Finding 2 recognizable fingerprints on that small surface, which was under water for years, totally breaks my suspension of disbelief

Didn't Gen-san saw Drive during the last and at the start of the episode? They're done with the "I know what the Kamen Rider looks like!" subplot? And although Gen-san fainted, I'm pretty sure Tachibana-san saw Shinnosuke transformed. Secret identity much?

If Chase is a MOTW he'd have blown up after taking that hit, that's kinda bs that he just walked away unharmed.

Isn't Kiriko walking a dog before Judge show up? It kinda disappeared into thin air.

And I don't like they let Tachibana-san go. He has committed a crime and should answer for that. This is the kind of reason people lose trust in the police. They let him go because he's their friend. I think him getting arrested is a bitter-sweet ending that is prefect for this kind of show.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I really don't feel like Tachibana committed a crime though. All he did was sit at home and one day the Roidmude came to him and granted his wish.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

Being the planner behind but didn't get directly involved doesn't mean he didn't commit the crime. If so, all the crime boss wouldn't go to jail because all they did is sending their lackeys to do the job while they sit at home.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

takenoko wrote:I really don't feel like Tachibana committed a crime though. All he did was sit at home and one day the Roidmude came to him and granted his wish.
I got the impression that he was periodically meeting up with the Roidmude to choose the next targets, hence why it was there to attack Shinnosuke. And that he was the one running the revenge website.
neonblue2
Gabu
Favorite series: A lot
My boom: Kitties!

Post by neonblue2 »

HarryFA1 wrote:The resolution to the episode revolves around finding a button? Man, where's Nago when you need him?
Funny you should say that.
Spoiler

I'm pretty sure it's appeared in something else too.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

HarryFA1 wrote:I could've done without the heart-to-heart with Otta & Commercial. "Talking to this toy deco-truck has fueled me with Burning Justice!"
But you constantly hated everything that involve a Shift Car invoking its personality.

Return to “Kamen Rider Drive”