Ninninger 03 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.

Is Izayoi Kyuuemon a boy or a girl?

Male
19%
Female
71%
Neither
10%

Total votes: 59
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger 03 sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ninninger_Shinobi_no_03

It really seemed like this would be a Nagi-focused episode, but it seems like we only touch upon him in a superficial way. It's a bit too bad, since I would like to know more about him.

Instead, we get to learn more about the villains. Which is great! Although, now I'm confused as to whether Izayoi is female since it seems like she uses "boku". But a brief search seems to show Izayoi tends to be used for female names, so I'm going to stick with that.

Speaking of which, let's talk about Izayoi's name now that she's announced it. Izayoi Kyuuemon (十六夜九衛門). Izayoi comes from the word "izayou" which means "to hesitate", but it literally means "16th night". That's because the 15th night on the lunar calendar is the full moon, so 16th night is a bit too late, thus "it's hesitating". In this context, I wonder if this means Izayoi is the hint that she takes things and corrupts them, the way the full moon starts turning dark on the 16th night.

Kyuuemon means "the 9th gate". I don't know if that has any significance, but remember the ship in Shinkenger was called Rokumon "the 6th gate". What I do know is that kyuu means "9", so I'm thinking this fox might have nine tails.

Gabi Raizou means "moth eyebrow thunder house". (Does he even have eyebrows?). I thought his design was fascinating, since his face is clearly a split oni mask. He wears a splendid haori coat. And his sword hilt has alien tongues on them.

I like Kasumi's subtlety. I can't wait for an episode that's fully about her. I love the idea that she knows more than she's letting on.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Ninninger 03 sanjou!

Post by PHurricane »

Kasumi is subtle, but it's nice that the others recognize that and respect her for it. Actually, I see a lot of similarities between her and Kyuuemon in terms of the roles they serve for their respective factions, much like Gabi and Red are similarly battle-focused.

They’re really not holding back on the Magiranger references, are they? Family team, a magic user, and now water-propelled swords that basically function like broomsticks. It's almost like someone in the writer's room wanted to do another magic sentai but got outvoted.

I can sympathize with Nagi’s dilemma in this episode. I’m typically someone who puts their faith in books and book learning, and I prefer to make detailed plans before I act. Getting out of that mindset and working spontaneously can be extremely difficult. However, he managed to solve his problem awfully quickly once he decided to stop thinking before acting.

Red...is not impressing me. I’m starting to think that rather than not liking the directions he’s being given, he’s just not a great actor. (Although, I'm admittedly still irritated by his “I’m on fire!” thing. Not sure why, since it's very similar to Gentarou’s posturing and that never bothered me.)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

You know what, I should give Nagi more credit. I also know what it's like to have Hamlet syndrome, pondering and worrying over things when I should be taking action instead. That said, I wish the solution hadn't been easily breaking the cuffs that he was struggling with. Like maybe he could have bashed the door in with his feet or hands or something, rescued the guy, but then get rescued by Kasumi and the others.

Out of context gif:
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

Kinda disappointing that we didn't get to know Nagi more on his supposed episode. I hope he gets a better one later on since he's probably the only male character that's not full of himself, which makes him the only guy I actually like among the main team.

Don't stop being adorable Nagi!

No-Pantsumaru already? But what about Fuuka and Kasumi? D:
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Damn, guess we'll have to wait for another Nagi episode to figure out why he's mech is a dump truck (yea, keeping that joke alive and you can't stop me). Though, on the topic of a 'Nagi focused' episode... I honestly would not have guessed he'd be the 'but I read all the manuals' type... Partly cause his character was not that well defined as the rest in the last couple episodes.

Man, I am just realizing, that I am loving the monster designs this time around. Like, it's early on to say that but so far the only thing I haven't liked is the gap in 9gate's teeth.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh yeah, did I forget to bitch about Izayoi's mouth? I hate the way it moves. I almost would prefer that it doesn't move at all.

Edit:
Stealth adds a poll.

Edit edit:
I also may have made a thread for just keeping track of the stupid catchphrases in this series:
viewtopic.php?f=215&t=16681
Lucetia
Gao

Post by Lucetia »

Just finished it up. Surprised they didn't focus on Nagi more, as other's said. Plus I figured they'd touch on why he has the dump truck mecha. As from what we've seen so far Red having the Shinobi-esque one as he's the leader (and think's he's the best) who sits on the throne. Yakumo having the dragon which relates to magic (MagiRanger), but the dump truck is still huh? Though we find out he's a maniac for licenses which I'm guessing will translate into something with being strict on rules later on? Just a guess.

I agree though I was hoping for something more with the cuffs, but turned out to be nothing.

In this episode we see the familiar Red/Villian rivalry that usually goes on (though on rare occasions another color).

I have to agrew tih Kyuuemon's mask as every time I saw her talk it would distract me.
Spoiler
Looks like the next episode we get a new mecha already, figured it wouldn't be for a bit. From what I saw it didn't look like it focused on anyone in particular, but I'd image it'd be either of the girls as I'm guessing the elephant will be related to them. Much like how GaoWhite and GaoElephant.
Last edited by DaVinci030 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler tagged for the next episode.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

PHurricane wrote:They’re really not holding back on the Magiranger references, are they? Family team, a magic user, and now water-propelled swords that basically function like broomsticks. It's almost like someone in the writer's room wanted to do another magic sentai but got outvoted.
Good, so it's not just me. So far this series has come off to me as desperately trying to mix Magiranger and Shinkenger.
takenoko wrote: Out of context gif:
[ Image ]
"Hey, this isn't the Monty Python set..."
ponkan
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Shinken, Blade, Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Time, Akiba, GARO
Dreamy: Time Pink!
Favorite Actor?: Setsuko Hara
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: "Don't smoke too much, drink too much, eat too much or work too much. We're all on the road to the grave -- but there's no need to be in the passing lane. " - Robert Orben
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ponkan »

Red...is not impressing me. I’m starting to think that rather than not liking the directions he’s being given, he’s just not a great actor. (Although, I'm admittedly still irritated by his “I’m on fire!” thing. Not sure why, since it's very similar to Gentarou’s posturing and that never bothered me.)
got the same observation. Daigo, Right and Gentarou shared this similar hyperventilated optimistic attitude as Takaharu's but their actors are not that bothersome and annoying because they carried on their roles quite well. but there's always room for improvement, there's still 40+ episodes for him to catch up. :D
"My heart goes GABU GABU!"
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

Nagi's now my favourite character. (Though he did have me from the beginning with his smile!) He reminds me somewhat of Sen-Chan.

The was a great episode! I wasn't quite feeling it from the first two, but this one got me really excited.

I still think Takaharu's actor is overdoing it a bit much. He seems to think he's an anime character.

I like the villains a little more, now that they are interacting with the heroes. They still seem a bit typical so far though. We'll have to wait and see what Kibaoni is like.

I'd like it if the Ninninger were a bit more proactive. Maybe they could go on real missions and stuff?
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

I was actually kind of wished that they'd try and have Dumpmaru take centre stage of the mech, just to see how they'd manage it.

As for the Izayoi's gender... I don't know any more. I assumed female initially but that reference to being Gengetsu's page made me think of Oda Nobunaga's page Mori Ranmaru. And now I am confused. :?
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

Knight of L-sama wrote:As for the Izayoi's gender... I don't know any more. I assumed female initially but that reference to being Gengetsu's page made me think of Oda Nobunaga's page Mori Ranmaru. And now I am confused. :?
I was thinking the exact same thing! Did warlords even have female pages? Not that that really matters for this series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh, now that you mention Ranmaru, I kind of wonder if it is a similar situation. Being a page, having no obvious female features, and using boku. Maybe Izayoi is a boy after all?

/me changes his vote to male.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Doesn't help that there have been more than a few gags and references to Ranmaru's gender being in question.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

it wouldn't be the first time I saw a female character who referred to herself using "boku" pronouns.

heck, that's actually what led to confusion about Sheik's gender in Zelda, when she's supposed to be female (a fact made more clear in her update character model from the 3DS remake).

as for the Ranmaru/Gengetsu's page thing, there was an anime sometime within the last year or so with basically alt universe versions of historical figures like Oda Nobunaga & Friends, Leonardo DaVinci, Joan of Arc, Julius Caesar, King Arthur, and more, and in the series, Nobunaga makes Joan of Arc disguise herself as a man named Ranmaru to avoid political issues that might arise from him being around a woman.

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”