24%
* A Ghoul
5%

Total votes: 76
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Wizard

Post by wisdomcat »

It started pretty nice and all but then the writers had a chance to make it interesting and they didn't take it. Most of the time I felt like I was watching filler episodes. I'm giving it a 2.5/5 for the great story it had in the beginning

http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/tagged/Kamen-Rider-Wizard
Last edited by wisdomcat on Sun May 31, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Ratings Poll: Kamen Rider Wizard

Post by Catastrophe »

Definitely falls short. I liked the fact that the main was serious for once. However I feel the plot wasn't that great for the whole season and only really picked up at the end. Gremlin shouldn't have been the final boss either.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

A two for me. Sometimes the greatest disappointments are things that have the potential to be great, but aren't achieved. I really thought the series would have been wonderful if it focused more on Medusa and her sister since it was the more compelling plot. I also really liked Beast and the stuff going on with the white mage.

The music was really good too. We got some good songs from the Kamen Rider Girls and RIDER CHIPS. Rinko was also another great protagonist. She was a badass cop lady.

But sadly, all people will remember is the subpar Haruto/Koyomi plotline. Also, it probably would have helped if "the last hope" was said a bit less. It's not special if you say it in every episode (God damn it, Ninninger, quit it with the catchphrases).
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Good song? More like great songs. And this series gave us one of the finest Rider Girls.
Here's the thing. I like Wizard I really do. Enjoyed the series but I can see how it wasn't put together well. And that sucks because I feel with the lore the show had it could have been amazing.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I've got to be harsh on this one, I gave it a 1. My problem with it really is there was such wasted potential. The ideas were there and there were so many possibilities with the story. Medusa and her sister still are one of the most interesting subplots I've seen in KR. Unfortunately what bring it down is sheer lack of effort. There was very little effort put into the Mage costumes (still number 1 on ugliest Rider suit), and the dialogue was pretty stilted. I feel sorry for Haruto's actor, there were some scenes that were genuinely hilarious and you could see he's actually a pretty decent actor, it's just the director wanted him to act like he had a stick up his ass the whole time. If you made Haruto come off as a caring person, it would make all the people turning into monsters much more sympathetic, but most of the time he seemed rather disinterested.

The ideas were there, they were just executed poorly, and to me that's more damning then a mediocre show. Especially with the Koyomi subplot, which was almost insulting. If there's supposed to be a romance, then you'd better show our characters interacting. If the only scene you can find of them interacting without any other character is from episode 7, that's not gonna work. I know the actress was busy with her idol work, but then maybe you should find an actress who can actually be on your show?
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Ouch..harsh indeed. But alas it's somewhat true.
Well at least his powers were cool. Not to mention Infinity Style is probably one of the best Final Forms.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

It was kind of irritating for it to be generic Sentai-like. Every episode the antagonists talk about bringing in a new monster and that they'll definitely accomplish it, saying the same lines. There isn't any story to how those monsters appear. They just conjure monsters out of thin air and that's pretty much all (they did a good job with the Shunpei casting magic episode, but after that the writers got really lazy). I also didn't like Beast too much. He appeared as a random annoying guy who sided with the enemy.

But the good point of Wizard is the effects and music. The magic effects and voiceovers are one of the most epic I've seen. Even though they play the same battle music over and over again I never got tired of that majestic tune. The story is average. When it is good, it can be really good (like the ending) but it can be really bland most of the time.

I would give it 3/5 still because of really likeable characters like Haruto and Koyomi.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Wizard is kind of a mixed signs for me. It had all the potential, some interesting plot early on. But like other stated, it fell flat, too repetitive until the end, doesn't have a really good final boss, etc. So I'm thinking it deserved at least a 3. Like pretty seriously.

But then I remember it had Shunpei in it.

And thus my vote changed to 1.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

2 for me... While I enjoyed Haruto, the actor at least, as well as his interactions with Nitou... man this show was a disappointment... Also the choreography in a lot of the fights were fun... Damn it was disappointing. Especially that last big bad chosen it just, christ... Jesus just, a drag, one hell of a drag. I don't think, I had as much of a sense of potential as others disappointed in this show, that is likely why I only ranked it a 2 and not a 1.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I am sorely tempted to give this series a 1 based on just how miserable the plot is. Without a good enough plot to tie everything together, all the action scenes and special effects in the world don't count for squat.

That said, I typically reserve 1 for series/episodes that are outright incompetent. Errors, incoherent plots, clip shows, etc. Wizard wasn't any of those, it just wasn't in any way interesting. Plus they did do some things right, such as Rinko. I'm still not entirely satisfied with her character - in the end she had to be rescued too damn much - but on the other hand she was a confident and capable lead female, which is still very hit & miss in KR.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I can't believe I watched every single episode of this show. Haruto's actor was so hot and there was so much lost potential in his creation story, and it was all just glossed over. RIP Wizard.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
xPrimexTimex
Infinity

Post by xPrimexTimex »

I gave it a 2 only because the technical aspects of the show were pretty good, otherwise plot would drag it down to a 1. Shunpei was pretty annoying and you wished Rinko had more character growth in the series. I liked Wizard in the beginning, but it wasted a lot of potential and had a lot of predictable plot points. Gremlin and Medusa were good villains who weren't used to their entire potential. They could have been as awesome as Enter but sadly didn't quite work out. Haruto was...plain. There was nothing really good or bad about him and he wasn't particularly interesting. The concept of the show seemed pretty cool, but they tanked massively in regards to execution.
Cevian
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Quote: KIITE ODOROKE!

Post by Cevian »

I gave it a 2. It had a good premise, a lot of style and even more wasted potential. The Wizard half of the Wizard/Gaim movie did more with the premise then basically the entire show did.

I almost stopped watching it until Beast showed up. He really made the show for me.
Sakas
Quote: What a wee little part of a person's life are his acts and his words! His real life is led in his head, and is known to none but himself.
Mark Twain

Post by Sakas »

Gave it a 3 could have been better if not for the ending, and the way they ultimately dealt with Pheonix. So much potential just seems like they ran out of episodes or something.
miryoku
Adventure
Quote: Blacking tosh.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by miryoku »

I gave it a 2.
The series had great potential and started strong then started going downhill as it progressed through the series.
I want it to know more about the old wizards or primordial mages like beast, that would be interesting to see or more of Medusa and her sister, that would have been even more interesting that the main plot of Haruto/Koyomi.
Also most of the time i felt i was watching Kamen Rider Filler because it had way too much filler!! I think the story could have been resolved in 12 or 24 episodes not like 51 ¬¬

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”