Toku Beginnings and Finding TVN

guile_bio
Crossing a Millennium
Favorite Band: Weezer
Alignment: Neutral

Toku Beginnings and Finding TVN

Post by guile_bio »

Well, I wanna know how people got to liking this group/forum/fansub group, and I want to share how I got here.
Anyways, I first started out as a person who lost interest in Power Rangers, because after Dino Thunder, everything sucked, IMO. I've had this irritating gesture when I watch PR, seeing the lighting during the Megazord scenes, fight scenes(some), and transformations. I thought it was all in my head till I went on Wiki and searched up Power Rangers, and found Sentai. That answered everything. It was strange, because I thought they both had the same actors, but HEY, don't judge me monkeys. That was a beginning to finding out what it was, also, I ran into Boukenger 27, and watched it even though I haven't seen the 1st ep(just curious). It was amazing, I loved it, so I got into Boukenger first. I saw the "TVN presents" text, and searched it up. Thats how I found TN, and I hope an Imagin doesn't travel back in time to change it, because I will go back and perform my Rider Kick on it. Oh, and how I found out about when I saw a pic of Kabuto, which sparked instant interest. I searched and found "Kamen Rider", so I clicked on it, and looked around, but got lazy and searched on CR, and a watched Den-O on accident. Then found Kabuto. Watched it, was pretty plain, but got better.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Toku Beginnings and Finding TVN

Post by takenoko »

>Well, I wanna know how people got to liking this group/forum/fansub group, and I want to share how I got here.

I was in the channel that existed before it became TN. So I naturally made the transition with it. I was mainly there for Ryuki. That power rangers hurricanger stuff seemed kind of kiddy, so I didn't really watch sentai till Aba.

"I've had this irritating gesture when I watch PR, seeing the lighting during the Megazord scenes, fight scenes(some), and transformations. I thought it was all in my head till I went on Wiki and searched up Power Rangers, and found Sentai."

What's an irritating gesture?
guile_bio
Crossing a Millennium

Post by guile_bio »

^Oh, that gesture, its like the show is telling me that something is wrong with it...pretty much the sentai footage bugged me, because they oughta make their own fight scenes, not use ones from Sentai, because Gekiranger's adaption is good, only the parts where they get the weapons out and have the mech fights are reducing stock footage.
RiderLeangle
Faiz

Post by RiderLeangle »

Well I got into PR during Dino Thunder and watched older ones, then they had commercials for this episode where "They meet the japanese versions of themselfs" and I wondered what they meant, asked at a PR forum I used to go to and found out about Abaranger, watched it and was hooked on Sentai, Then while I was at episode 10 or so of Dekaranger, I kept hearing about this "Kamen Rider" show and asked about that and found out TVN had Kamen Rider Blade and watched that, got hooked on Kamen Rider, haven't watched too much Sentai after that actually, For example
Den-O: Episode 45
Gekiranger: Episode 2
ImageImage
AmienZero
NagoSan
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Favorite Band: Instrumental Music
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: SILENCE! I KEEL YOU!

Post by AmienZero »

i first know about TVN was when i bought a compiled DVD of Faiz. yep, you heard me, i bought it. it was incomplete, only bears episode 26-52. but at that time i didn't care much, as long as i get to watch the series. then again TVN pops up when i buy (yes, again) a 2 set DVD of Magiranger. still not complete, it has up to episode 33. eager to watch the series to the end, i started hunting magiranger episodes, and stumbles to rangerboard. at that time, TVN already subbing Geki, and some peeps at rangerboard recommends going to TVN to get them episodes. and here i am, and been here ever since. and no longer buying those compiled DVDs. :P
"Untouchable Spirit! Rin-Jyu T-Rex-ken!"

SILENCE! I KEEL YOU! *evil stare*
Dororo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Dreamy: Too many actresses
Favorite Actor?: Those that can act.
Favorite Band: Ones that play music
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Stuff

Post by Dororo »

I was always a Godzilla nut from the TNT late night airings(80s). From that I stumbled into Casshern (anime), then bubblegum crisis oav, all in the 80s. So I made a gradual transition into toku over time, even being prepped by such oddball kid stuff as Biokids and so on that parodied it, and many of the old myth movies like Jason and the golden fleece. I was also Honey baptized by the ADV dub of the OAV. So I've been hooked on her, and sailor moon for years. (Discovered sailor moon in the early 90s on USA network reruns, after I had bought the Honey dub oav.)

From there I just gradually shifted into power armor Scifi like Super Force, and in the early 80s captian power. Sentai cept for the USA network dub never did anything for me. PR was whatever when it started to me, as it evoked similiar feelings of nostalgia as classic G-zilla films. From that I just bounced around within the confines of various genres of various cultures that had the same nuances I liked. Eventually I migrated to a site named Hongfire, which then lead me to a post about an independant series called evolver with a trailer, and powerd Sis. Now I knew of some of the mainstreams, but wasn't a fan of some of the pre 80s series, as the 80s grit was where I dove in initially, so the thought of these independants were tantalizing to say the least. Someone in an irc chat on deja suggested TVN, so I came here for evolver and was told to 'buy the r2s since they are already subbed' but during that I was dling blade to serve so I could ask, and got hooked on it, because I watched ep 2 then ep1. At this point my knowledge of rider series cuts out before kuuga so I had no clue initially the newage riders happened. Ever since then I've been continuing my quest on just trying to find good sci-fi and nostalgia with interesting film techniques and originality for years, with even japanese media falling to the same shortcomings of the US media I started to stray from, predictability.

But hey, the nostalgia factor has yet to disappear.
Bauffie
Save the life
Dreamy: Nakatsu Shuichi
Favorite Actor?: Matsuyama Kenichi
Favorite Band: Gazette
My boom: Hayami's trendy hat

Post by Bauffie »

^
^ Dear goody, how much did you pay for them? XD

A friend of mine was into Sentai and Kamen Rider so he introduced me to them. He made me watch Black RX and explained the whole concept from beginning to end. I found it funny. I mean, the guy hides under a car and... hey this oddly feels familiar. I think I already said this stuff. XD Oh well, I made fun of Kamen Riders because the bike was called Hopper(it sounded rather cute than powerful), and that, until Faiz came into my life. Then, I watched Kabuto. I was so impressed at the hoppers because... THEY'RE HOPPERS! <3

I registered on the forums by curiosity, but it... scared me. xD Then, I had to come back because I didn't understand why there weren't anymore Kabuto episodes (SUBS PL0X). I became heart broken to learn that the show was still airing and it would only be completed in a few months. Blablabla, I watched Den-O and came regularly because I liked to read the funny stuff that people wrote about the Den-O episodes. I think TVN corrupted my mind more than anything and yet, I'm still here. XD

(And to think that I started watching other shows like GARO because the guy in Kouga's avi and sig looked so much like Kaiba... XD)
Algo Fonix
Crossing a Millennium
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Dreamy: Give me a minute
Favorite Band: Haken
Quote: You should be, 'cause I'm havin the time of my liiiiiife right now!

Post by Algo Fonix »

Gather round ladies, gentlemen, children of all ages... for a tale full of action, adventure, and edge-of-your-seat-nail-biting-intensity.

I suppose like all epic tales one should start from the beginning, no? Back at the wee age of five, a young Algo stumbled upon a television show, containing five fruity spandex clad warriors fighting foam/rubber monsters. Needless to say, Algo's young mind was entranced by the acrobatic skill that seeped from those warriors. He KNEW that he needed to watch this every time it was shown on this wondrous television device.

Fast forward a few years and a show much like the previous one was discovered, however, these warriors wore odd geometric shapes on their faces, while still fighting odd foam/rubber monsters. However young Algo was was 3 years older, and slightly wiser. He was beginning to lose a bit of interest in these fruity rainbow colored warriors.

The next year... things got ugly. Algo wept as his favorite group of warriors traded their (now familiar) geometric shapes for car grills and headlights. Algo didn't want to see anymore. He quickly turned away from his beloved television... and ventured into the vast wilderness to train his mind and body for 10 years.

After ten years of training that made him much stronger and wiser, Algo departed from the wilderness, and came back to his home... which also contained his once beloved television. He once again, out of boredom, decided it was time to check the airwaves for entertainment, only to find the beginning of a new set of fruity multi-colored warriors. This time, however, he was pleased with what he saw. He enjoyed their outer space antics, and watched many more teams of warriors fight their good fight...

UNTIL

The year is 2007. The month is February. The exact day... has been forgotten within the sands of time itself.

Yeah, last year I got bored and searched for various PR seasons on Wikipedia and found out about Sentai. I then searched for "sentai dubs" on google and found this place... thanks to takenoko's sig. xD

I signed up on the forums right after I found this place... now you're stuck with me. ^_^
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I suppose like all epic tales one should start from the beginning, no? Back at the wee age of five, a young Algo stumbled upon a television show, containing five fruity spandex clad warriors fighting foam/rubber monsters. Needless to say, Algo's young mind was entranced by the acrobatic skill that seeped from those warriors. He KNEW that he needed to watch this every time it was shown on this wondrous television device.

Power Rangers?

>He was beginning to lose a bit of interest in these fruity rainbow colored warriors.

Taste the rainbow

>and ventured into the vast wilderness to train his mind and body for 10 years.

Dramatic!

>Yeah, last year I got bored and searched for various PR seasons on Wikipedia and found out about Sentai. I then searched for "sentai dubs" on google and found this place... thanks to takenoko's sig. xD

Which sig was this?

>I signed up on the forums right after I found this place... now you're stuck with me. ^_^

Glad to have you on board AlGore Fox
Algo Fonix
Crossing a Millennium
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Dreamy: Give me a minute
Favorite Band: Haken
Quote: You should be, 'cause I'm havin the time of my liiiiiife right now!

Post by Algo Fonix »

>Power Rangers?
Aye

>Which sig was this?
It went something like "I prefer dubs because reading is hard" or something to that effect <.<

>Glad to have you on board AlGore Fox
Mm, well, I did create the internet...
Ninja_Commander
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: There's too many
2nd Favorite Series: See previous
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Ninja_Commander »

Well like many I guess I first got my first taste of toku when Power Rangers was on in the early 90s and saw most of them growing up. Till later i got bored of them and started doing other things till about 2 or so years ago I was talking to one of my friends and then something popped in my head, Power Rangers. And we talked about it and our childhood with how we grew up with them. Then came to my mind why not check on good old friend, Wiki.

Then as I was looking I saw a name in japanese so I checked it out. There I saw everything I need to know. Now i was researching sentai like it was a disease. So then after that I got on youtube and searched for any series till I got to Dekaranger. Thats when I began to watch it and after I finished Deka and Magi and on to Boukenger I read that it was gonna be in hd so I got around to looking for TV-Nihon, so then looking for the site I got in and what I saw was the best thing to ever happen, I found the shows translated. So then I got my bittorrent on and started downloading on Boukenger and Kabuto, which was my first Kamen Rider. And as they say the rest is history.
guile_bio
Crossing a Millennium

Post by guile_bio »

Heres how I started out from last year, from the start of July:
Boukenger(Still not finished...ep 26)
Den-O(Watched the whole thing)
Kabuto(Watched the whole thing)
Blade(Enjoyed it, everything, left some forms not shown, but had a really good ending. Completed)
Faiz(Completed, but I'd say the ending killed me, other then that, great series)
Ryuki(Pretty good series from where I'm at, hope TN gets back on it so that I can continue!)
Hibiki(On ep 2? Lack of interest....)
GARO(Pwns, and my cousin loved it too, Completed)
Madan Senki Ryukendo(On ep 2, pretty spiffy)
Gekiranger(on ep 3, slow start, looks promising)
Megaranger(Beats the adaption...)
Magiranger(Its fair, decent, ON EP 2)
Dekaranger(watched like a minute...)
Ultra-Seven X(Looks alright, I'm on ep2....)
Kiva (AMAZING....simply AMAZING, on ep 13!)
Go-Onger(A strange series, I don't know why I'm into it. Up to current TN ep)
Rescue Force(I gave it a chance and it made everything worth while, up to current TN)
shadowneko003
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Abaranger
Favorite Band: Cascada
Quote: Her boyfriend's a pilot

Post by shadowneko003 »

1994, my sister told my nephew (who's a year older than me) to take me upstairs and watch 6 people in spandex fight monsters. (I was 5, he was 6) Fast forward to the time where Disney took over, I now knew that PR was from Japan because of the little sentence at the end of the ED, "Based on Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger" and Toei. Then came PRDT and it's "Lost and Found in Translation." Instantly fell in love with Abaranger. XD Saw most of the OP theme of past SS on YouTube. Didn't get fully into SS until Geki. KR came with the package. And I just <3 Den-O. Another thing, I can't stand PR anymore.

Got to TN by looking for Yu-Gi-OH! subs. Started watching Toku from TN on YT and that was Sailor Moon. I decided to join the forums and here I am. You're not getting rid of this neko!
LJ Blogger
Do not PM me about DDL links. Please report them here in the correct forum

YES, we know our DDL links are dead! READ THIS.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

I grew up with MMPR, and Masked Rider, I remembered seeing a picture of 555, and I was like HUH?! The revelations began, after searching and searching I came across TV Nihon in 2004, never trusted Saban since.

gatoronfire4lord
Infinity
Favorite series: Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Maya (Kiva)
Favorite Band: Avalon

Post by gatoronfire4lord »

And now, my story.

I was amazed by Power Rangers when it first debuted. Watched it through to the beginning of In Space. The Power Rangers had to leap in orbit to jump over the shark in my book. The whole time, I had no clue of its Japanese origins.

Sometime between then and when I started watch PR again, I learned of the fact though. Probably I kept tabs on the show now and then and stumbled on the fact somehow. Anyway, just 2-3 years ago I stumbled onto Power Rangers Generations on Jetix and was amazed that I once again LIKED Power Rangers (think it was Dino Thunder). I used that lovely slate of showtime (which is now back off their schedule, replaced by timeslots for all the Disney seasons) to catch myself back up and also found that I'd probably have enjoyed In Space if I'd given it a chance.

Sometime last year, I was looking up a Ranger season on Wikipedia, and was reminded of the Japanese origins. I looked up the current Sentai of the time, Boukenger, and found I enjoyed it, but not really enough to keep regular tabs on it. The splash screen was how I learned of TV-Nihon. When I saw Boukenger become Operation Overdrive, I saw Sentai as a way to familiarize myself with a Ranger season in advance of it ever airing. I dedicated to watching the next series, Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger, all the way through. I found RangerBoard and RB led me here.

Boy, was I rewarded. Gekiranger turned out to be all the stuff I love about Power Rangers with the mature plots I wish PR had. I stayed with Power Rangers and to this day I still do, but I'm also a huge Sentai fan.

At one point, as can happen with the subbing team OMG having LIVES, Geki got a bit backlogged. Boukenger still didn't thrill me, some see it as the perfect Sentai, to me it was good but not great, and *Gasp* I think Gekiranger was better. I had seen people talk about Kamen Rider but it seemed so different. One hero, bulky armor as opposed to spandex, no mecha...wasn't sure I'd be into it. But seeing as TV-N had something like 10-15 subbed and ready to download, I started watching Kamen Rider Den-O. I loved it! The humor, the multiple suits, the complex-time-bending-headache-inducing-but-oh-so-worth-it plot. Even my fiance peeked over my shoulder one day and is now hooked on Rider as well. Workin' on Sentai and to a lesser extent, Power Rangers.

And that leads me to right now. I've written a summary page here (Engine Sentai Go-Onger, check it out), am absolutely loving Kiva and enjoying Go-Onger.

Return to “Off Topic”