Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

DekaRanger 10 years after released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Tokusou_Se ... EARS_AFTER

So I liked it. I didn't think Hurricaneger 10 years after was that good, but I chalked that up to a lack of familiarity to the series. This one definitely felt like a real DekaRanger continuation. The characters had moved on, but they were still the same characters with the same funny quirks that made us love them in the original series.

I thought it was a bit obvious for the new characters with no personalities to turn out to be the villains, but what can you do? Some story compression is needed, and I figure less time devoted to the new guys means more time with the ones we do care about.

Umeko looks the most different, which is ironic since she's got the most screen time. Hoji doesn't look like he's aged a bit. Swan and Jasmine are as lovely as ever.

I like Tetsu's new coat. I'm a bit sad that the original six don't break out the SWAT mode gear, leaving it mostly in the hands of the two new guys.

Maybe they could have cut the Clone Abrera scene. The jump to the city background felt really jarring. How much of that was previous footage cut to fit the wide screen resolution? It just didn't look good.

But yeah, it's good to see the team back together again. I wish Ban would stop leaving at the end though.

I think the ending would have been better if it ended with Sen and Umeko getting married.

Sad to say it, but this is probably the last time we'll see the Deka team together. Thank you, Special Police! You were my first major Sentai. I love everything about you.

Bits and pieces
*The first alien is the singer from the ending segment.
*I wonder if that's Kinoshita Ayumi's real son? He'd be the right age for it (he's apparently just a little over a year old now).
*Ooooh, Asumu's actor is the guy who played Asumu from Hibiki. Nooow that makes sense.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: DekaRanger 10 years after released

Post by takenoko »

I also think it's funny that they explain how Judgement Time works. Guess they got too many complaints about how silly the system was.

Hearing Jasmine's weird phrases and puns suddenly made me realize why she plays Nossan's sister. In a way... she created him.

Sooo... Swan didn't visit Doggie in two years? Guess they don't love each other THAT much after all.

Actually, the whole two year thing seems like a big plot hole. What exactly did Hoji get out of spending two years on the computer? Considering how skilled these guys are, it seems unreal that they couldn't get results faster. Also, where was Carrie during these two years? Mugi and Asumu have been there two years also? Maybe they needed it to be two years so Jasmine could get married and have a kid that's one year old. If it were me, I'd global replace all the two years with two weeks.

Umeko's interactions with Carrie are hilarious the second time around.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

It won't win any awards for being an original or unpredictable story, but that was a ton of fun to watch. They pulled out all the stops when it comes to recurring jokes/gags, didn't they? It felt a little like someone made a checklist and made sure that everything was crammed into one movie. (The only thing I don't remember seeing was Tetsu cross-dressing, although technically that was featured in one of the flashback montages. Plus, there was Ban-as-Carrie.) It's obvious that this entire cast still has a lot of love for their time in Dekaranger. Not surprising, since pretty much everyone has gone on to guest star in at least one other tokusatsu, which they wouldn't have done if they wanted to distance themselves from Deka.

I think I'm going to take Takenoko's advice and pretend the time gap between Doggie being shot and this movie was weeks rather than years. If the team is meant to be this close after ten years, there's no way they wouldn't make more progress on an investigation involving their beloved Boss for two years.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, it feels like they wrote up the script, then someone asked if Kinoshita's baby could be written into the story. I still haven't found confirmation that it's her baby, but her son would be the right age for it.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I enjoyed it greatly. Dekaranger is probably tied for my first or second favorite sentai. The time gap is a little odd, but I'm willing to give them a pass since everything else was very nice. The only thing missing was a proper answer to Umeko and Sen's relationship! We got one for Doggie/Swan and Ban/Houji after all ;)
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I mean, Umeko briefly talks about changing her name to Enari, but Sen felt that she was just avoiding the subject.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

Her baby was on set. So using her kid would make sense.

Umeko looks pissed.

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

Jealousy. Why do you think she spoke about changing her name... i.e. getting married? She wanted her and Sen to have babies too!
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

You never fail to amaze me, TV-Nihon. You brought again a wonderful work of art to us fans around the world. Excellent job for bringing it to us before the Christmas. I haven't watch the film yet but I know I will enjoy every second of it. Thanks again.
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

I just finish watching the film. Superb... excellent... Arakawa Naruhisa san's writing never fails. Like what I said earlier, I'll be enjoying every second of it and I did. :mrgreen:

Spoiler
Fukuzawa Hirofumi san even returned to suit act for this film. Probably Imai Yasuhiko san, Mimura Koji san and Eitoku san are busy with their schedule that they need to be replaced by Takada Masashi san, Takeuchi Yasuhiro san and Asai Kosuke san for each of their respective suit act roles (Deka Blue, Deka Green and Deka Break)

Excellent stunt choreography from Seike Riichi san. Otsukaresama, Minna san.
Twilights_Bard

Post by Twilights_Bard »

I disagree with people saying that weeks makes more sense then years, the fact that this is more conspiracy leads me to believe the longer time frame. Swan not visiting is easy, keep out Doggie's associates, and she'd be at the top of the list along with the other DekaRangers. Doggie being there was a fluke and a mistake, the fact that he was shot by the mafia he was supposed to be aiding is probably why he was kept under through drugs, even though they have the evidence of the video, there was this moment where my brain was unable to connect the dots as an outsider. And with him unconscious there's no need for this to go through a trial right, especially with all of those potential questions as to what was going on.

As far as the team, I can imagine Swan breaking the tech alone would have taken time, and Hoji was probably searching a different angle, as was Ban. It makes sense that they couldn't make a ton of headway on their own (or they were in contact just enough to avoid suspicion, Hoji and Ban had their own jobs afterall).

Overall though, I really liked this, this was a good movie and the cast had amazing chemistry here, Ban mellowed out, but you still saw the fireball there, and it felt like the cast never really left the set. The writing was good (with the exception that I would have liked the case against Doggie to be more then the video, and I would have liked some characterization from the newbies, but I guess that's story compression for you.), the action was good, the mecha battle felt a bit forced and cheap, but I kinda liked that it was there a bit, it felt more Sentai for me then the Hurricanger one.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

I actually quite enjoyed the film. Ban not yelling all the time actually shows his characters growth. A little note with the "mengo" trivia bit, it could also be an anagram for "gomen" much like how "Umeko" is an anagram for "Koume" in the dekaranger opening. I am suprised they didnt take a page from power rangers spd and have a complete team of neo-dekas involved.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, Mengo is an anagram of Gomen. People used to say it to be hip and cool, but now it's regarded as tacky and old to say it now.
envedges
Infinity

Post by envedges »

Dekaranger 10 year after was alright overall. I did enjoy it a lot more than Hurricanger's, considering they did a better job on setting up the characters, and provided a little more continuity and Easter eggs to the original series. After I watching this, I feel like most of joke I would make would be about Jasmine. I feel like the writer like to over empathize that Jasmine/Kinoshita Ayumi is taken to upset or troll fanboys which is hilarious in my part. Even go as far, of saying
Spoiler
she breastfeed his son to gain the power to teleport, WTF
, TMI! Also her relationship with his husband can be creepy now to think of it since she is like around a decade older, but then again she probably show her love towards him in the last few years when he became legal. Also I guess it's a double standard to some people, since marrying a MILF is probably one of the best things and it's also harder to score with an older girl considering most typical relationship would have the male be older, while if very young girl marries old dude is consider to be look down upon for example Enjo Kosai relationship.
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DekaBreak »

I was actually tearing up a bit seeing them after 10 years, love almost everything about this reunion special, even that cute explanation about how Judgement happens so quickly. I like that Tetsu's the acting chief and his ordering the team to deploy was nice - finally something nice for my favorite Deka, but still I wish he had more screen time. I worried he'd be offscreen in the base as Boss now, it kinda happened too. It was striking for me to see Jasmine hold her baby with bare hands, then I understood the charm of it all - in a marriage to a fellow ESPer, she wouldn't need to worry about her ESP. But as much as I like that, I don't like who she ended up marrying - that one really doesn't sit right with me, he was a kid back then!

Overall, Arakawa kept the whole Deka universe intact, and to see that last unaltered for 10 years is beautiful. Although we likely won't see this team together again, if they ever wanna make DekaRanger 20 Years After, I'd be ready to wait that decade out.

Return to “Tokusou Sentai DekaRanger”