Ninninger 38 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.

Rating

Poll ended at Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:21 am

☆☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆☆
15%
☆☆☆
31%
☆☆
No votes
23%

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger 38 sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

<Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Last week's rating: 4 / 5

We're in the last quarter of Ninninger already. Can you believe it?

Not enough Tsubasa, but to their credit, at least they let him transform on screen.

Maybe I'm no good with kids, but I thought the premise was pretty silly. Maybe it would have worked better if they were dealing with a woman who's Yakumo's age and not a little kid who obviously wouldn't have ended up with him? Also, what's the deal with Yakumo's stories all dealing with him falling in love with something or someone or something falling in love with him? Surely there's a better setup for his magical ninja substories than that.

Little details I noticed:
*Yakumo actually got to wear the silly armor suit.
*Everyone ganging up on Kinji and him exclaiming WHAT?! was pretty funny.
*It's funny that Kinji lent Takaharu his sword to replace his broken one, but we never see him use it.
*I thought the effects for Yakumo's magical ninja attacks were pretty nice.
*I think it's funny that Nagi got turned into a headband that said "sure victory". It seems like the kind of thing he'd (Nagi) wear while studying for some test.
*In the end sponsor text, they call Kasumi the "strongest ninja". I don't know how many people read those, but that pleases me.

3 for me. I liked the Tsubasa guest appearance, but the episode as a whole was only so-so. Maybe it would have been better if it had just been Tsubasa visiting from the start, and Yakumo has to make an actual decision whether to stay a ninja or return to England to be a mage. Then they could do jokes about Tsubasa making fun of the current "Mahou Sentai" and how different things were from his day. Also, Toei, if you have a decent bone in you, please make a MagiRanger 10 years after. You shafted them with Bouken VS Sentai, this is your chance to make things right.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Ninninger 38 sanjou!

Post by PHurricane »

This episode felt flat to me. I think part of that is because I'm still not impressed by Yakumo's actor so it's always a struggle to watch Blue-centric episodes, but hiding being a ninja because there was one time at magic academy that a little girl said they should get married someday and putting the town in danger by trying not to use ninjustsu was too ridiculous. Credit where credit's due, the magic during the hostage exchange was clever, but that was the high point for me.

Speaking of magic academy - that was totally meant to be Hogwarts without copying it directly, right down to the uniforms.

Even Tsubasa's guest appearance didn't amount to much. Honestly, I was a little bothered that Tsubasa didn't acknowledge that Yakumo is involved in a sentai, or that any of the ninjas express surprise that Tsubasa was also involved with super sentai when he transformed.

I wasn't expecting Kibaoni's lady to be freaking out like that because she was getting ready to give "birth". Pity the preview makes him look like a joke character. I'm hoping I'm wrong, because if they make Kasumi lose to him after calling her the strongest like that banner implies, I'm going to be even more irritated with this show than usual.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Yakumo wishes he were in a different sentai.
Last edited by VerusMaya II on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I told myself I wouldn't do it and I still fangirl squealed when Tsubasa showed up on screen. And I wasn't really paying attention to the dialogue either because I was too busy singing along to the theme song for Magiranger.

This has been the most emotion I've had for a Ninninger episode this whole season, and that says a lot. Toqger I didn't like so much while it was airing but I think it matures greatly with time. Ninninger I'm not feeling that at all.

Is it bad I wish the baby had stayed an actual baby? I think that would've bee much more interesting of a villain than another monster.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Like some creepy Lovecraftian baby monster? Babies are heck of creepy in Binding of Isaac.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

It'd definitely be something new and unexpected, and require some really intricate plans and backstory and I've just figured out why they wouldn't do it in Ninninger... *sigh*
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

Blog post links to the wiki page for episode 37 instead of 38.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Looks like I forgot to change it in the thread too. Fixed.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

The magiranger theme song at the end was amazing. Brings back so many memories. Is it a new arrangement?
bluegreen
Infinity

Post by bluegreen »

It would have been nice to have a little more participation from magi yellow than to swoop in at the end and say "You done good young man, now I'll take the pesky kid and go home on my maagi magi broom" I was kind of hoping for some magic teamwork to save the day or something.

Its been a long time since I watched magiranger, but I could have sworn that there was an episode where Tsubasa went running away from someone on the street who tried to speak to him in English, but now he's teaching at an English school. Yay self-improvement!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Haha, that's a good point. Maybe Tsubasa only teaches the Japanese exchange students. It was a nice touch that Elena referred to Yakumo as Cloud, but even in the flashback she only spoke Japanese. And she's the daughter of the principal?!
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

bluegreen wrote:Its been a long time since I watched magiranger, but I could have sworn that there was an episode where Tsubasa went running away from someone on the street who tried to speak to him in English, but now he's teaching at an English school. Yay self-improvement!
Can't remember the episode number, but it was one of the early ones where Makoto told everyone it was his dream to work abroad or something like that. Tsubasa's exact line was "Ai kanto supiiku ingurishu"

Why yes, I have seen Magiranger 3 times, why do you ask?
Shurikenger108

Post by Shurikenger108 »

The reason I love this episode is that, this episode is 38th, aired on 22/11/2015 and had Tsubasa cameo. 10 years before, on 20/11/2005, it was also episode 38 in MagiRanger, about Tsubasa vs Cyclops. This episode is one of the most emotional eps in MagiRanger.
zigmenthotep
Adventure
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zigmenthotep »

Average episode, which I absolutely loved because Magiranger references. Tsubasa taught Cloud the same thing he taught me!
And where's our Mahou Sentai Magiranger: 10 Years After?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This episode was mediocre. Kids aren't very interesting, and neither is Cloud. Plus the plot was incredibly contrived. At the very least this episode didn't do anything terribly wrong, it just didn't do anything right either. Edit: Actually, I take that back. This was a stock footage mecha fight. That on top of everything else definitely makes it a bad episode.
takenoko wrote:We're in the last quarter of Ninninger already. Can you believe it?
Yes, and thank goodness for that. 12 more weeks and we can move on to something new. Ninninger isn't so awful that I don't watch it, but man is it close at times. I'm ready to move on to something new.
PHurricane wrote:I wasn't expecting Kibaoni's lady to be freaking out like that because she was getting ready to give "birth".
Doesn't this imply that she was using fear energy as a form of birth control? And as we know, they primarily draw their fear energy from kids. The implications are really, really squicky.

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”