The great Zyuohger VS Jyuohger debate

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Preferred spelling?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Zyuohger
57%
Jyuohger
31%
Juuohger
No votes
Juuouger
6%
Juoger
2%
Something else?
4%

Total votes: 51
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

I agree with spelling it as Jyu.

I think everyone will be horrified with Zyuken Sentai Gekiranger and Hyakuzyu Sentai Gaoranger.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Jyuohger Promo 1 released

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

out of curiosity, if we AREN'T spelling it with a z, then why jyuohger and not juohger?
Banjo
Infinity

Post by Banjo »

I vote for Zyuohger. Official spellings need to take precedence in cases like this. Especially if it's on all products (even stuff like t-shirts: http://s9.postimg.org/gtc740owv/1450773110270.jpg)

I thought ToQger was pretty weird too, but that's how they spelled it sooo...
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Banjo wrote:I vote for Zyuohger. Official spellings need to take precedence in cases like this. Especially if it's on all products (even stuff like t-shirts: http://s9.postimg.org/gtc740owv/1450773110270.jpg)

I thought ToQger was pretty weird too, but that's how they spelled it sooo...
We already saw that t-shirt. But what if it's the animal themed Sentai, then it should be 'Jyu'.

I totally agree with takenoko's statement:
takenoko wrote:I like to use Jyu for animal and oh for king. I think it's good to have that consistency.
So I go for 'Jyu'. It's our spelling (like we did on Kyouryuuger and Toqger), not the official.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

LOL, t-shirts don't mean anything man, come on. Worst case scenario, they write a bunch of Z's on the mecha like in Kyoryuzin, but we can probably ignore it as long as their symbols aren't just giant Z's. We ignored the mecha spelling in Kyouryuuger, I think we can ignore it here.

I know some of you guys like the official spellings, but sometimes the official spellings are just ill-conceived and poorly thought out on the English side. I don't think we should be beholden to bad Japanese to English policies that were developed 100s of years ago. Like why the fuck does a J sound get spelled with a Z? It makes no sense!
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I vaguely remember that zou or something a kin both means elephant and zoo in japanese I might be wrong but aybe it was this instead of zyu or jyu?
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

takenoko wrote:LOL, t-shirts don't mean anything man, come on. Worst case scenario, they write a bunch of Z's on the mecha like in Kyoryuzin, but we can probably ignore it as long as their symbols aren't just giant Z's. We ignored the mecha spelling in Kyouryuuger, I think we can ignore it here.

I know some of you guys like the official spellings, but sometimes the official spellings are just ill-conceived and poorly thought out on the English side. I don't think we should be beholden to bad Japanese to English policies that were developed 100s of years ago. Like why the fuck does a J sound get spelled with a Z? It makes no sense!

Exactly. I love the Japanese, but I realized a long time ago that they don't always get their English right. And, unless I'm wrong, the official English spellings are not for the benefit of English-speaking audiences, they're mainly there to look cool to the Japanese audience. That's why I tend to take official English spellings with a pinch of salt.

There was a time, back in the late 90s and early 2000s, when a lot of fans referred to Denjiman as "Denziman" because it was spelt that way on the side of the Denji Buggy. Nowadays most people doesn't use the "Denziman" spelling anymore.
HengeBoy
Number 6
Number 6

Post by HengeBoy »

You Guys do know it's "Zyuohger" right.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

I agree with Zyuohger, and here's why. I was looking up pictures about [INFORMATION REDACTED], and I used Zyuoh (insert animal here). Google gave back a suggestion. "Did you mean Zoo (insert animal here)?" Which, of course, got me thinking. What if Zyu here isn't being used here to describe a dino series, but is being used as a play on pronunciation, as Zyu does sound like the English word zoo.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

That's an interesting question. Just what is the nature of something being "right"? Let's all steeple our fingers and sit back and think about it.

So your argument is that if a figure of authority tells you something to be true, your reaction would be to agree without further thought. Is that what you consider the best method for evaluating right from wrong?

Also, Zyu is pronounced with a j sound. So I have no idea as to what you're talking about.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

Huh, always sounded like a z to me. Then again, I don't listen as sharply as I used to, so a lot of things tend to blur.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

there doesnt seem to be a quick reply box for me on this thread?

a sentai team name with multiple meanings and a play on words? wouldnt be the first!

Ninninger seems to be borrowing elements its past ninja teams, so lets assume Jyuohger is too. if the play on words for "zoo" and "king of beasts" means anything then Gaoranger and Gingaman could be in the mix as past sentai special episode teachers. likewise, we have furries, so add in some gekiranger.

now, i read some of the comments that were on this pages youtube promo, and i think i read that rock and roll was a theme. so, perhaps kinji could make a cameo? but have any past sentai teams/teammembers been rockers? or any metal heroes? if the rock and roll theme is a reality, then we could assume that: A- the animal people are "party animals" and red will have to unlock his inner "party animal" which would be weird, but this could explain the 4 meet red last as they are looking for another member of the band. B- the t-shirt look to the uniform is intentional as 'rockers' wear t-shirts. but im sure this is also reference to the animal t-shirts you get from zoos.

finally, the mech look like building blocks. the only intention i can see for that is they were going for a totem pole, but at present it seems red is always on top. 9_9 but that doesnt mean anything at this point. but the idea of came to mind when i saw that animal waterfall in the promo.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Re: The great Zyuohger VS Jyuohger debate

Post by Fat D »

They are all wrong. It is Jew-Ogre and is about a man-eating mythical beast that converts to judaism. Those animal people are just decoys.
Hariken
Gao
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Favorite Actor?: Emmett J. Scanlan

Post by Hariken »

I'm partial to Zyuohger - mainly because they love having multiple meanings for their names, a play on words if you like. I also like to use romanizations that are used officially such as Gorenger, Denziman, ToQger, etc. Whether it's a play on the greek "Zoon" or "Zoe" which inspired the English word "Zoo" or not is debatable. I might lean towards Jyu/Ju if the show went with themes such as "10" (10 rangers), lessons (like Gekiranger) or guns. Out of interest, what was the reasoning for using "Zyu" for beasts in your Kyouryuuger translation and "Jyu" for the same kanji in the Gekiranger translation? Perhaps you could adapt a similar method here?

At the end of the day this is a common problem with romanizing Japanese characters and we all should be aware of that. The difference between Nihon-shiki and Hepburn romanization I guess. I'd pick a romanization method and be consistent with it to be honest.

Personally my biggest problem is romanizing a long o sound as "oh" when not using diacratics. Just seems fugly, but whatever.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I also like to use romanizations that are used officially such as Gorenger, Denziman, ToQger, etc.

Oh man am I not a fan of those. I always though the big Q was just something the English community made up. I've only seen one Toei thing that uses the big Q.

>Whether it's a play on the greek "Zoon" or "Zoe" which inspired the English word "Zoo" or not is debatable.

It's not since they don't use the z sound XD. Japan does have the sounds for z like zu, zo, za, etc.

>Out of interest, what was the reasoning for using "Zyu" for beasts in your Kyouryuuger translation and "Jyu" for the same kanji in the Gekiranger translation?

Because Kyouryuu was an homage to ZyuRanger. As far as I know, Jyuoh isn't, so there's no reason to pander to Toei's silly romanization ways here.

>I'd pick a romanization method and be consistent with it to be honest.

Oh, but our ways are consistent. And it makes room for being flexible for special situations. Consistency that doesn't recognize that no rule applies to everything is a denial of reality.

>Personally my biggest problem is romanizing a long o sound as "oh" when not using diacratics. Just seems fugly, but whatever.

I don't know which one you dislike from that phrasing, but I hate the one with the line over it. I think that it looks bad since it's not used in regular English usage.

I just think it's funny when people act like the official spelling is the word of God. Everyone's got their preferences and their reasons for them. I just like making people who act like their limited view of things is the only truth. In the end, we all know what Zyuohger or Jyuohger or Juouger refers to, so it's not like it's confusing or some communication problem. I just don't think it's a big deal.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”