Ninninger 44 sanjou!

Nin nin de gozaru!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Toqger | Ninninger | Jyuohger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:52 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
10%
☆☆☆
30%
☆☆
20%
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ninninger 44 sanjou!

Post by takenoko »

<Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Last week's rating: 2.33 / 5 (9 votes)

I've... never seen an episode get zero 5's before (like last week's did).

Okay, watched the episode. Maybe it was the two week break, but that seemed like a really good episode. It had the trifecta of things needed to make a Ninninger episode good. It removed Takaharu from the group/showed how the group was better without him. It had an actual teamwork/Sentai moment where the guys overcame the enemy using the bond that they had developed over the year. And third, there was some major plot stuff.

Shingetsu, huh? A pun on "new moon" versus "true moon"?

Have the Gamagama Gun blasts always been straight up laser tongues? If they were, I don't know how I didn't notice that before.

I love Fuuka's heart container shirt.

The end with Grandpa's flashback was cool to me for some reason. It felt like a live version of a scene from Ninja Gaiden. Oh, another factor for Ninninger being good, when there's actual ninja stuff going on.

I'm kind of excited to see what the rest of the series will look like now.

Edit:
Here's some dumb Kyuuemon trivia:

Code: Select all

Izayoi literally means the 16th night. I think that this is because the 15th night of the moon cycle in Japan (correct me if I'm wrong) is supposed to be the full moon. Like August 15th is the moon festival in Asian cultures since it's the closest full moon to the equinox, right? So the 16th night would be the first night that the moon starts to go dark after being at its brightest.

However, Shingetsu means "new moon" or when the moon is fully eclipsed by the Earth and is totally black.

So before, the kanji for Kyuuemon's (九衛門) name meant "9 guards at the gate" which we thought was a reference to the 9 tailed kitsune.

But now we know the kanji are 久右衛門 which means "long time ago right guard at the gate". I mean migi/right can mean "above, afore-mentioned" too so that probably fits better. I'm not familiar enough with underlying kanji meaning to know what significance this change has.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Ninninger 44 sanjou!

Post by PHurricane »

Hold on - how did Fuuka see Gabi Raizou on the balcony of the castle in the distance? Does she have binoculars for eyes?

Those GamaGama whips were cool. Wish we had seen them earlier in the season, because I'm pretty sure that was the first time they were used.

As for the plot...I think I have to acknowledge that there's practically nothing Ninninger can do to redeem itself in my eyes, so I may be unreasonably harsh. Tsugomori's plan was interesting, but it felt like Yakumo and Fuuka overcame the spell way too easily. I did get a laugh out of the imagery of Tsugomori being shoved into Takaharu's embarrassing moments and Tsugomori actually being ridiculously tiny (which allowed him to "survive" attacks that should be fatal).

As for the final test to becoming the Last Ninja being to kill the current Last Ninja...well, I didn't see that coming. I feel like it reminds me of something in another show or movie, but I can't put my finger on it. Pretty harsh if that's what Grandpa did to earn his title, but the one theme that Ninninger has consistently adhered to is that they don't follow tradition/expectations. With that in mind, it's obvious that no one will kill Grandpa to inherit his power. (Although this may all be for nothing, since I have serious doubts he's 100% alive anyway.)
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

PHurricane wrote:As for the final test to becoming the Last Ninja being to kill the current Last Ninja...well, I didn't see that coming. I feel like it reminds me of something in another show or movie, but I can't put my finger on it.
The Sith?
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

I agree that the break between episodes helped feelings going into this one, I enjoyed it alot more, instantly questioned how in Sentai Logic hell Fuuka saw Gabi from where she was (also am i just making it up or did Kyuuemon have a fragment of Gabi?)

The GamaGama whip attacks have been used before but not as proper whip attacks (first or second episode i believe they used that ability)

Tsugomori being all chii sized and piloting a karakuri version of himself was surprising, funny, and cleverly done. (amusing side note, I've never been good at pronouncing the names of most villains for a long time 'apart from gokaiger' but now they are rolling off my tongue with ease)

finally the key thing that stood out was the group dynamic without Takaharu, I would have preferred a four man team, with Yakumo, Nagi, Fuuka and Kasumi, with Kin-san coming in to fill the 5th member slot, while having Takaharu focus only on the last ninja stuff and not the sentai (with him trying to join in but getting tossed about) but all in all, great episode
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

PHurricane wrote: Pretty harsh if that's what Grandpa did to earn his title, but the one theme that Ninninger has consistently adhered to is that they don't follow tradition/expectations. With that in mind, it's obvious that no one will kill Grandpa to inherit his power. (Although this may all be for nothing, since I have serious doubts he's 100% alive anyway.)
And that's why I have a hard time taking any of this seriously. Killing Troll-Grandpa is not even a possibility for these characters (real-world considerations aside), so it's a false dilemma.
Eternal_Winterbane wrote:The GamaGama whip attacks have been used before but not as proper whip attacks (first or second episode i believe they used that ability)
Ditto. I know we've seen them used similarly at least once before. But it's very rare, to say the least.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Besides ignoring the fact that the Last Ninja power just transfers to someone else when they get killed by someone, good old Gramps really can't teach anything.

Due to the previous generation being a bunch of lazy or talentless people for being a ninja, Gramps really had no proper heir to pass his ninja way. For whatever reason, he disappeared for decades and thought to be dead so his grandchildren were raised by the good for nothing generation. He shouldn't expect any of them to kill him and did expect the dumbest ninja of the group to kill him was a major blunder on his part. He is really wishing that Kyuuemon was still his pupil because we all know he has no qualms of killing Gramps.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Well.....That Last Ninja Requirement came right the f*ck outta nowhere.

But alas, my thoughts echo Phoenix512's:
Phoenix512 wrote:Besides ignoring the fact that the Last Ninja power just transfers to someone else when they get killed by someone, good old Gramps really can't teach anything.

Due to the previous generation being a bunch of lazy or talentless people for being a ninja, Gramps really had no proper heir to pass his ninja way. For whatever reason, he disappeared for decades and thought to be dead so his grandchildren were raised by the good for nothing generation. He shouldn't expect any of them to kill him and did expect the dumbest ninja of the group to kill him was a major blunder on his part. He is really wishing that Kyuuemon was still his pupil because we all know he has no qualms of killing Gramps.
He pretty much just left them to learn by themselves (given that Kyuuemon stole their fathers Nintality)

Wait, that's another thing. If Kyuuemon was able to steal Tsumuji's Nintality somehow, why didn't Gramps try and find a way to transfer the power without killing himself? I have a feeling that's going to be revealed next episode, but still, it's a valid point.

Speaking of, I will admit that Kyuuemon being Gengetsu's son was a nice twist, but I think that they could've left it for this specific episode sequence instead of when Mangetsu died. Woulda really been a slap in the face there. Still, I expected them to change something about Gengetsu before he revived, seeing how they kept him hidden in the opening, but reveal him in episode 3 or 4, but it's whatever with this show by now.

It's good to see Raizo back, but it feels odd that they just glanced over the fact that he was denied the death he wanted by the hand's of Takaharu in a duel, and instead forced to fight as a giant by Kyuuemon. I don't know about you, but I'd still feel some type of way if that happened to me. Sure, he's the Big Bosses kid, but that doesn't mean their won't be a time I'd plan on returning the knife he gave me.

Overall, it's an Okay episode, and a proper set-up for the final battle.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

I was not sold on the "kill the previous Last Ninja" bit. Basically, the fact that Gramps is fading away keeps me from believing he's actually alive at all. If he's not alive then he cannot transfer the power, since it transfers upon death.

Personally, I think the father (Tsumuji?) is the Last Ninja, and the flashback scene was not Gramps claiming the title, but Tsumuji. Something I thought was interesting was that, in the flashback, the Masked Last Ninja was wearing the Gramps ninja attire, while the other was wearing the Takaharu-style attire. Also, his face was covered, so we're meant to understand that his identity is unclear. The whole "he's useless" always seemed like a hollow claim anyway, and I really think it's something of a misdirect for both the audience and the Kibaoni clan. Plus, from the next episode preview...

Spoiler
Both Tsumuji and Gramps are Akaninger as well, implying that he may actually be perfectly capable of being a Ninja

Anyway, if Tsugomori could make himself giant, why didn't he do that to make him human-sized? How stupid. I voted 2 of 5 for putting such a dumb plot point in the middle of the Last Ninja revelation. WAY TO RUIN IT.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

perhaps gramps is using his nintality to keep himself alive?
and however old gramps is, because if im following the plot right he'd have to be 444+ years old to have fought kibaoni gengetsu.
the previous last ninja doesnt have to be of the same clan, or even blood relative if thats how it works, and that was likely why it was easier for gramps to kill the last ... last ninja...
the gamagun's tongue was used very recently when Nagi and Takaharu did a finisher together, though in that case it was a sword not a whip. i think the tounge was used as a rope to tie up someone too.
Yakumo was loving his chouzetzu time.

finally, Gentgetsu was alot more gold and blue than i would have imagined.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

mholden020 wrote:Anyway, if Tsugomori could make himself giant, why didn't he do that to make him human-sized? How stupid. I voted 2 of 5 for putting such a dumb plot point in the middle of the Last Ninja revelation. WAY TO RUIN IT.
Because being small was what kept him alive through deadly attacks.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Well, this was a let down episode, it started quite good but soon fell into a mediocre episode.

On other stuff am i the only one surprised that the guy who played Young Yoshitaka is actually the son of old Yoshitaka? and also Gengetsu seems to be fairer with his wife than Mangetsu was.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

eijiman wrote:On other stuff am i the only one surprised that the guy who played Young Yoshitaka is actually the son of old Yoshitaka?
That's rad. His son is a good looking guy.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

I've been suspecting for a while that Tsumuji already inherited the Last Ninja title/power and this kinda confirms it, even though Kyuuemon stole his Nintality. I'm 99% sure Grandpa was testing Takaharu to see if the boy could kill his own father as Tsumuji could have done.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

If Tsumuji had the Last Ninja power, it would totally ruin the show on a whole new level.
Cyberman
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Cyberman »

I don't think Gramps is actually 444+ years old but his Last Ninja Nintality is actually 444+ years old via the Final Test flashback.

Return to “Shuriken Sentai Ninninger”