Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Retsuden 04 released

Post by takenoko »

< Prev Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last episode rating: 4.4 (5 votes)

Only five votes last time?

I honestly didn't like this episode very much. I mean, it's very much a Rian episode. Guys hit on her, she beats them up, she scolds a guy, she does some magic thing, and she kills a Horror, and she pines over Ryuuga. But that feels like sort of lazy writing? Maybe it's just because the guy she's with isn't very interesting himself.

Which is too bad. I really like Rian's character, and think she could has a real good story to be told. Either she needed to bounce off a character that was more interesting, or they needed to put her in a situation that wasn't the usual schtick that she usually does.

Oh yeah, and I guess Ryuuga's in the episode too? Since they didn't tell a compelling lone Rian story, I kind of wonder if maybe they should have just put them in a story together. I wouldn't mind seeing more Gold Storm spinoff characters showing up.

Do people still hand write letters nowadays?
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Garo Makai Retsuden 04 released

Post by XIII »

To me it felt like an early Gold Storm spare script, didnt really do much for the characters or their development. Maybe it would have been best to tell a story about Rian before she met the Golden Knight.

I couldnt stand the guy she was with in this ep, he had the worst character possible. Just didnt care for them.

I kinda wish we didnt get another Ryuuga-verse story so soon, there are so many other characters that they should be exploring first.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

From what I gather, it's a recurring theme that Rian and Ryuga can't seem to admit their feelings for each other. They have grown so accustomed as comrades that it just seems awkward for them to take that relationship to the next stage.

The main protagonist, for all his "loser-ishness", at least has someone he is not afraid to declare his feelings for, and in a sense, that makes him braver and more fortunate than Rian and Ryuga.

I dunno. The episodes have been mostly "a day in the life of X" so far. I guess we will have to adjust our expectations accordingly and not hope for any developments that could significantly shake up the plot.
kuroblack
Go Go!

Post by kuroblack »

Instead of Rian/Ryuga, I prefer a side story about the Takeru, Aguri, Burai, or even D. Ringo.

I think Zaruba should be a narrator too. He is probably the constant character across Garo series.
swb90
Go Go!

Post by swb90 »

Rian fanservice episode! i've got nothing to complain hahahaha!
i agree though that the Takumi (?) provides a strong contrast to Rian/Ryuuga. At least he is brave enough to face up to his feelings.
Still...Rian fanservice! I think I had a nosebleed at the end of the episode~
takenoko wrote:
umm I still do. except I hand them to the person directly. postage just doesn't seem to convey the same sincerity
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Well now that both of my Garo waifu have appeared, I'm quite pleased. I'll admit, I squeed a little when I saw those unmistakable legs at the very beginning.

The episode may have been too pedestrian for some, but it reminds me of some classic Garo episodes where priest events (such as obtaining pelts) were a major part of the plot. I know many people would rather have a lot of action, but the undertone of the entire episode was quite deep. You have a guy who was afraid of hisrelationship and ran (no connection there), who honestly loves his partner (again, no connection), and who has dropped pretty much his whole life for a journey (still no connection...).

The fan service was also quite lovely and I actually enjoyed seeing her kick back and boozing it up instead of being all business. The battle at the end was rather cheesy and overdone, though, and you could tell they really wanted to drive that connection with Ryuuga home. But I honestly would have rather seen her just shoot the Horror and head off. Ryuuga's cameo at the end was okay, and I did love the awkwardness (what is it about the Garo bearers that always puts them in awkward relationships?), but I would have been just as happy if her walking away was the end of the episode.

Maybe, just MAYBE Takumi gave her a little courage of her own...
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

a quite ok rian episodes. well yeah its kinda back like the usual for rian. miki nanri is always good in potraying rian with all of her unique personality + those legs mmmhh P.
the action kinda cheesy, and really2 so so. However i find the sound&music for this episode is GREAT. i like all the insert song timing/relevance to any scene. and i like the music as well.

agree with some of you it is beter if a Rian episodes tell something more/uncovered story of her. such as the day before she met Burai/ the days before Ryuga come to Volcity. Or her interaction with Takeru & Aguri. yah anyway, it still an OK episode.

as for the feeling, yup, it wanna show a contrast between the 2couple.
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

swb90 wrote:Rian fanservice episode! i've got nothing to complain hahahaha!
i agree though that the Takumi (?) provides a strong contrast to Rian/Ryuuga. At least he is brave enough to face up to his feelings.
Still...Rian fanservice! I think I had a nosebleed at the end of the episode~
takenoko wrote:
umm I still do. except I hand them to the person directly. postage just doesn't seem to convey the same sincerity
yeah and Rian doing all that stuff because she knew that the guy was not going to remember anything xD... also this guy have a girlfriend but still attracted to Rian... we can't blame the guy... she is amazing :lol:
Last edited by Kurow on Sat May 07, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Final Vent!
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Boring episode this week. If it wasn't because Rian was hot, I would've skipped the whole thing. Nothing much happened but I do understand the plot of it with the guy and his girlfriend. I get where they were going with it. I don't understand how the bully became a Horror. It just happened out of nowhere.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Rian episode,

skip to 2x speed to get it over ASAP.
edumiyagi
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Favorite Band: Superfly
Alignment: Neutral

Post by edumiyagi »

Only one good thing about this episode... I left thinking I would do if I had Ryan at home, a little drunk.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

fenrir wrote:agree with some of you it is beter if a Rian episodes tell something more/uncovered story of her. such as the day before she met Burai/ the days before Ryuga come to Volcity. Or her interaction with Takeru & Aguri. yah anyway, it still an OK episode.
In fact, it was already done : episode 25 of Yami.

Boring episode (especially compared to the first part of the previous one), but I liked the links to Yami and Gold Storm. First, look like everyone forgot about it, but Lago's tooth was among the thing that Rian "reenergized". I wish they would have summoned Lago sometimes in Gold Storm. Maybe Rian got disgusted after what happened during her first attempt at summoning it.
And second, there was the "look at me when thanking me", it totally reference something that happened in episode 1. I liked that. This is why I think it happened between the movie and the first episode of Gold Storm.

By the way, I feel like I've seen Takumi's and Kurumi's actors somewhere.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Mandalori wrote:This is why I think it happened between the movie and the first episode of Gold Storm.
I think that Ryuuga was already wearing in the movie the "amulet" thing that Rian gives him at the end of this episode, so it's probably between Yami ending and GoldStorm movie.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

That amulet was Lago's tooth and Ryuuga had always worn it from the beginning of Yami, it's not just something he got between Yami and Gold Storm. It something he always had and just needed to be refill with magic, like the Madou Brush.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

I see. Then it can be situated anywhere.

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”