Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Zero -Dragon Blood- 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki - http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Zero_-Dragon_Blood-_01
Next - viewtopic.php?f=155&t=20859

Not a bad start. I was worried that with a spinoff series, we'd just get dudes in zombie makeup and basic Horrors, but the bunny masks were cool (even if it was Bioshocky) and the mosnter bunny was a nice design. Also, noticed a white rabbit at the beginning of the hotel scene.

Alice is pretty cute and not annoying.

Man, that first lady though. Just walks into the room and doesn't even notice the people there. It's a good setup to compare Alice to normal people.

Got to love the western feeling of the town they're in. Garo always seems to try to do that, like with Kouga's mansion for instance. I felt like the architecture in this town as well as the wagon felt very western.

There's not much sense of a main plot besides the egg, but it's pretty well paced to me. We got an appetizer of being in the world of Garo again, met our hero and new heroine, and some hints of what's to come. Sometimes it's easier to get a flawless rating by not being overly ambitious and just failing. This episode gets a 5 for me. Good start!
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Zero -Dragon Blood- 01 released

Post by XIII »

I did laugh when I first saw the bunny masks, then thought about Donnie Darko

Nice to see the use of the timer again to denote the battle

The eye catches at the middle are very nice as well, kinda interesting that they did put it in English. Which now reminds me of a lunchboard sign early in the ep thats all in English and doesnt really make much sense, I should find that again.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Very good start. Hope the writing and action can keep me watching.

I'm hoping the MOTW's name is more than just a reference to the White Rabbit.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

takenoko wrote:There's not much sense of a main plot besides the egg, but it's pretty well paced
I feel that this is actually a much better way of writing. Rather than just revealing the whole plot at once and go straight to filler episodes.

And I really enjoyed everything. The entire episode was great, including both opening and ending song.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them

Post by takenoko »

Rei doesn't speak French, take away a star.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I enjoyed it. The last Zero miniseries left a lot to be desired, but this was a fun romp in the Garo-verse.

Didn’t the last Zero series have him battle a hallway of Horrors? That concept felt very familiar. I guess there's only so many things before you start repeating concepts. On the other hand, I liked incorporating the lighter into the fight against the masked group. That seemed pretty unique.

I liked the bunny theme, but I just now made the connection with our female lead being named Alice. D’oh. Speaking of repeating stuff, for a second I worried they were going to have Alice showered in Horror blood when the bunny's chopped arm went flying. I'm relieved they didn't go there.

My favorite part of the episode, strangely enough, was the return of the timer countdown. I love little details like that. Silva was a close second. She's awesome.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

TypicalStandUser wrote:I'm hoping the MOTW's name is more than just a reference to the White Rabbit.
Isn't the monster's name Kugano (At least according to the credits). How's that a reference to the White Rabbit?

I didn't notice the Alice+White rabbit connection until Phurricane pointed it out. The bloody arm flying scene had me thinking the same thing.

I guess Yuge is somewhere in this episode, but I didn't notice him. Maybe the wagon guy?

I really appreciate Amemiya for directing this episode himself. Let's hope he does more and doesn't just hand it off to some less talented directors.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

pretty great start for the series. I liked the timer during the fight scene and how they just left it at the corner which they didn't do for the past series. I hope that Dragon Blood isn't going for a total of six episodes because Black Blood was horrible like that.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Post by SacredCultivator »

Around 14:24 I was thinking... ooo crap is she gonna henshin it up in there? But then... was lead to disappointment.

But good first episode nonetheless.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

takenoko wrote:I guess Yuge is somewhere in this episode, but I didn't notice him. Maybe the wagon guy?
He was at the end, not the wagon guy, but the one hinted to be inside the egg.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

SacredCultivator wrote:Around 14:24 I was thinking... ooo crap is she gonna henshin it up in there? But then... was lead to disappointment.

But good first episode nonetheless.
I was waiting for her to pull out a madou brush and start kicking bunny ass to be honest :P
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

An easy 5 here.

Because the ep simply focus on introducing the world without worrying too much about setting up some arc.

Zero is back, the Horrors are back. And it actually feels like a Horror show. Good return to form.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Hotel Clock, Rabbit theme, Alice. I get it.

Great start. Strong first episode.

Special mention goes to ZEROs nipple grappling hooks. I know Raiga had some on his back. Guess he learnt it from Rei.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

takenoko wrote:Wiki - http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Zero_-Dragon_Blood-_01Got to love the western feeling of the town they're in. Garo always seems to try to do that, like with Kouga's mansion for instance. I felt like the architecture in this town as well as the wagon felt very western.
Have any of the Garo series explicitly stated where they take place? I looked as hard as I could during this episode and didn't see any signs that weren't in English. I noticed something was amiss when I became aware I was reading the signs in a toku show :lol:

So glad Garo is back. Rei's stories are always great, and they came out swinging with this episode. Probably going to let all the episodes build up so I can binge watch the season, but I'm excited.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Pretty sure Garo takes place in a world similar to our own world but not. I don't think they've ever mentioned a location that exists in the real world, but maybe they have?

The reason I think this is because of made up places like Vol City, Line City, or unusual location markings like eastern/western districts. Like, I don't know how big a district is, but the northern district looks like it'd be in Hokkaido in the real world.

Return to “Zero -Dragon Blood-”