KyuuRanger Space.07 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
16%
☆☆☆☆
12%
☆☆☆
36%
☆☆
20%
16%

Total votes: 25
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.07 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 2.65 / 5 (23 votes)

Alternate Title - Maybe everyone is just a bit slow?

It's still not coming together for me. I like the idea of a monster that steals birthdays and keeps all the food and presents for himself so that's fine (Although, it seems slightly random and doesn't quite fit a galaxy conquering army?) So I think that maybe the problem is the characters for me. Everyone is too jokey and too dumb.

Like when they use Balance as a lure, knowing that the monster steals birthdays. After Balance gets his birthday stolen, they go back and try to celebrate his birthday. Are you fucking kidding me? Is everyone in this group stupid or what?

I was initially going to say that I thought Naaga was slow. Since he didn't know what a birthday was. I feel like that Naaga doesn't come from a race of no emotions, he's more developmentally challenged or a slow learner or something? At least, that's how he appears from the way he's written.

Stinger and the two assassins are in this episode, but... I don't remember them doing anything except getting in the way?

Then there's Lucky and Ex-Aid. At least them mixing up Ika Devil with the other squid guy was kind of funny?

But overall, I never know how to feel or what to care about, because the show's all over the place. I also feel like having Balance be the one to get excited and to be depressed about losing his birthday seems like a bad fit. Balance is the cold-hearted thief who was savvy enough to use Lucky. Kind of feels like he wouldn't care about birthdays. If Naaga had emotions, he would have been a better fit since he's more childlike.

2 stars, you're not my lucky star. Lucky wasn't even annoying to me this time, the story is just bad in general. I really wanted to like this series too, but I guess it's going to be one of those years. At least this episode made me like Naaga a bit more.

It's not like I'm against fun or camp or jokes, but cut that back so that it doesn't affect the tone of the dramatic parts. And maybe actually write some funny jokes?
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: KyuuRanger Space.07 released

Post by PHurricane »

I’m a little ashamed to admit that I didn’t get the Governor’s name until he sang “Happy Birthday To Me”.

It’s funny - I wasn’t feeling the birthday plot until they got back to ORION and tried to celebrate Balance’s (stolen) birthday. I didn’t feel like they did a good job of explaining the effects of the stolen birthday until that point so I could forgive them for acting like business as usual, and by having the audience feel the effects along with the main characters, the effects of To-Me's power had a little more weight to it.

But having a governor whose power is stealing birthdays is definitely a really strange choice and doesn’t help to make Jark Matter feel like much of a threat. Since Earth supposedly has so many governors on it, maybe the big secret is that it’s a training ground for governors, or a place they send the reject-governors. I doubt it, but it would be an interesting explanation for the silliness we’ve been getting.

The biggest downer of the episode for me was Ikaagen and Madakko. I don’t see anything about them that resembles an assassin. Heck, Ikaagen literally had his sword at Lucky’s throat this episode. For a supposedly top-level assassin, it made no sense for him to taunt Lucky and then push him away without attacking him at all.

I’m kind of over the annual team-ups to promote the Taisen movies, but this was tolerable if only because it meant I got to hear Ex-Aid’s theme song twice this week. I love that song so much. But honestly, it wasn’t that bad. The plots of the two series don’t mesh, so they didn’t have much of a choice to have their interactions be more substantial. Plus, it was nice to see Ex-Aid use his base forms as much as he did again.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

This episode is okay

The whole birthday plot is ok but it felt dumb to me since I'm half not entirely caring for my birthday until I turn 21 but I can give it some slack since it reminds the audience of how much the Jark Matter love to be dicks with you and that they're the rulers of the whole universe

While Balance seem to be the main focus of the episode, Naga seems to be the one to be getting more spotlight & character development in where he's beginning, though that could be just me, to use emotions semi convincingly but not really and he's willing to help his friend get what he waited for despite struggling to understand what a birthday is

Lucky shut the fuck up already, you already lowered your catchphrase count before and now you're bringing it back up again, makes me want to choke the ever living live and all of that luck out of you

The crossover part should have been a special to tie in to the movie, which I already heard is crap anyway but to the point if you're going to make a crossover but make it a cameo in a battle, don't call it a crossover.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

Another Balance/Naga Tag Team Episode

He's 300 Years Old and Youngest!

Well, Emu/Ex-Aid is a guest in this episode ,also Lucky/ShishiRed will be a guest in Ex-Aid Episode 24
(for promoting Chou Super Hero Taisen)
Last edited by DaVinci030 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Even you censor the unreleased stuff, it's still not allowed.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

All-told, this wasn't a bad episode. KyuuRanger badly needs to do some more building (be it character or world), so this episode does what it needs to do by further building up Naaga and Balance*. Being big into birthdays makes a lot of sense for Balance, however I do feel like this ended up being more of a Naaga episode by the end. Balance didn't really grow from this escapade, whereas Naaga did. Which, if we're going to do character focus episodes, then by all means do the skinjobs first.

However the MOTW was just terrible. Sentai has its cheesy monsters, I get it. But a monster that steals birthdays? If this had been 20 or 30 episodes into the season, then it would be a well-earned, lighthearted break from more serious matters. However the series still needs to do too much world-building to throw us a birthday-stealing monster as episode 7. More than just the episode, it's undermining the series at a crucial point. The writers had the right idea with a character episode, but went about it the wrong way.

As an aside, I have to say I'm starting to grow a bit exhausted picking at Sentai. I'm not trying to be an all-critical fanboy, I swear. But after NInninger, Jyuohger, and now the start of KyuuRanger, it's been so damn long since Sentai had its act together. They've turned friggin Star Wars into a Sentai, which by all means should be awesome, and they're squandering it. I'm not expecting heaven & earth here, I just want a galaxy-dominating evil force given a bit more of a serious tone?

And I totally get that this may just outright be a comedy Sentai, ala Go-Onger. But Go-Onger kept its wacky characters in check, and did a very good job of using the villains to carry some of that humor load so that the heroes could still have their stoic moments. This isn't happening in KyuuRanger.

Edit: I almost forgot: Balance has different sets of eyes. I'm not sure this has been shown off before. When he's moping around the Orion, his eyes have been rotated 30 degrees or so, so that they're pointing outwards instead of inwards, making him look sad. It's a neat touch :)

* I'd argue that they need to build up Hame and Spada first, but what do I know?
takenoko wrote:I was initially going to say that I thought Naaga was slow. Since he didn't know what a birthday was. I feel like that Naaga doesn't come from a race of no emotions, he's more developmentally challenged or a slow learner or something? At least, that's how he appears from the way he's written.
I'm starting to think that the Sentai writers watched Power Rangers Dino Charge and got the wrong idea with Koda. Naaga's a total fish out of water, and that opens itself up to some good character stories. But it's badly straining the credibility of the character to be this slow.
Stinger and the two assassins are in this episode, but... I don't remember them doing anything except getting in the way?
I'm assuming they're being set up to be the next set of mini-bosses to eliminate. But right now they're absentee villains, which is just all-around disappointing. Though I'm having a hard time imagining how they'd develop the main characters if they had to siphon off any more time to develop the villains...
Then there's Lucky and Ex-Aid. At least them mixing up Ika Devil with the other squid guy was kind of funny?
I did get a good laugh out of that.:)
PHurricane wrote:It’s funny - I wasn’t feeling the birthday plot until they got back to ORION and tried to celebrate Balance’s (stolen) birthday. I didn’t feel like they did a good job of explaining the effects of the stolen birthday until that point so I could forgive them for acting like business as usual, and by having the audience feel the effects along with the main characters, the effects of To-Me's power had a little more weight to it.
Agreed. A birthday-stealing monster seems absurd. How can you steal a birthday? But that scene is where the episode finally illustrated just how his power works. As Take notes, it's still kind of dumb (maybe if the Rangers didn't believe in the MOTW's power...), but I can live with it.
I’m kind of over the annual team-ups to promote the Taisen movies, but this was tolerable if only because it meant I got to hear Ex-Aid’s theme song twice this week. I love that song so much. But honestly, it wasn’t that bad. The plots of the two series don’t mesh, so they didn’t have much of a choice to have their interactions be more substantial. Plus, it was nice to see Ex-Aid use his base forms as much as he did again.
I found myself in the same place when hearing the Ex-Aid OP. It's just so darn catchy. However when the OP of the cameo character is probably the most enjoyable part of the episode, that indicates the show has problems. :?

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of cameos. The ToQger/Gaim special is still the high water mark here; even though it was really a Sentai and a Rider episode, the productions of each show made it work as a cohesive special. It made the two meeting matter. Ex-Aid and Shocker popping up in KyuuRanger just doesn't have the same impact. It's superfluous, and takes time away from things like character or world building.

Preview:
Spoiler
Oh god, not another Ranger. Even though they don't show it, between the weapon and the fill-in-the-blank, Shou is obviously going to pull a DekaMaster here. We already have 9 Rangers! Isn't that enough?!
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

Contrary to all the opinion above, i do like this episode & give 5star for it.

I like that FINALLY all member have their each individual part in a mission. No matter how strange/silly it is. But this episode have a delegation of jobs for each ranger.
Teamwork also matters in here, showed much better for me than last week synchronize choreography attack.

Naaga stole the show for this episode, well EXCITE song from EX-AID also did that of course [Damn, agree with you above that song is GREAT!!!].
But yeah Naaga is a good character in here. He have personal objectives, and he's developing in this episodes.
I do think Balance/Naaga combination is a good thing for naaga learning of emotion if they can use it in a good way. Coz balance is really a full emotion chara & naaga is the opposite.

Agree with Virge, ToQ-Gaim crossover is good one. In here Ex-Aid not really guve that kind.of feeling. But it was ok still fine & action is good.

I have a theory for Kyuuranger now. If the sneek peak shows like next episode woukd be a focus for chara A, it would be character B who get the focus.
Perhaps they wanna try to be unpredictable+excite the audience.

For 2 assasins ya they in & out scene kinda not execute in a good way. But seems they gonna be a personal enemy for Stinger to handle later on.

Hopefully the show will be better in the future, the storyline need to be more serious sometimes i guess. Gokai did that. Less cheesy joke would be better as well.
Comedy is a good thing. But too much cheese comedy is not.
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

my Saint Seiya senses are tingling xD

Nayway, it was an Ok episode. The Birthday stealing wasn't executed very well, but it did have some nice moments. Have anyone noticed that every time we see one of the ranger's quarters we get a tiny character build? I wonder if we'll get more than just that in future episodes.

I still love Balance and his antics. And his poses, i love all of his movements during fights :D
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Haven't watched the ep yet, but what's the point of "stealing" a birthday? What does it mean IRL? Obviously it didn't mean you suddenly didn't get born -- then you wouldn't have existed; so what exactly was stolen?
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Just watch the episode to find out.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

1 star for me, it is worst episode so far, with boring and annoyed story, although Lucky is better in this episode.
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

I did not like this episode at all. The stolen birthday thing was just a bit goofy for me. If I felt like they were going for comedy sentai, such as with Kakuranger or Carranger, it would fit. I don't get a comedy sentai vibe from it, though. It feels like this series tries to take itself too seriously and then wants you to laugh at its goofiness.

See, this is why I'm so annoyed by the five member at a time gimmick. Champ was freaking there. Why did he have to return for Balance to go back down? Also, Champ suddenly just remembered he's not supposed to like Stinger? I'm already predicting the Champ/Stinger plot will end with a lame resolution that could have come earlier had Stinger just told Champ what really happened.

What's the point in having assassins hunting the Kyuurangers if they're not going to do anything but show up to foil the rangers' plan early on?

This may be the worst of the Kamen Rider crossovers to date. There was no need for Ex-Aid to be there. And he comes out of a Kyuutama? At least last year Ghost had a reason to be in the Jyuohger universe.
Last edited by redfarmer on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

better than randomly showing up
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Stealing birthdays... this kind of vague concept kinda reminds me of old sentai plot, I wonder why.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

When you compare this crossovers with let's say Gaim's or Drive's you begin to think what is going on on TOEI. I remembered the Shinkengers crossover with decade while watching this, and while i don't expect something that good, (At least to me Decade's was a great crossover episode) but something more elaborated than, he just shows up for no reason and beats some random monster.
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

Not a bad episode, but it could have been better. It is funny though how much of a jerk Jarkmatter governors can be like in this episode where the governor stole birthdays.

I guess the Ex-Aid cameo could have been done better but was good for what it was. But yeah, no crossover between Kamen Rider and Super Sentai have beaten the Decade/Shinkenger crossover yet.
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”