KyuuRanger Space.08 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:45 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
32%
☆☆☆☆
39%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
No votes
10%

Total votes: 31
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.08 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 2.92 / 5 (25 votes)

Alternate Title - 4-5 simultaneous plot lines

Oh man, what did I just watch? I feel like there's no way to process that in any way that's not just superficial. A lot of stuff is happening, but I don't know if it's entertaining or funny, or just frustrating and illogical.

Are we supposed to cheer for Spada for choosing his individuality over mindless orders? Or are we supposed to spurn him for defying orders, leading to further suffering later on? You used a KyuuTama just to make fish? What are you? Jesus?

Balance, Naaga, Champ hijinks in a cave?

The boy is a recurring character? Did we need to bring him in on this episode? And what happened to the little brother? Could you not afford to bring both of them back? Someone needs a big fat editing knife and they just need to start cutting. Cut this fat down till it's nice and lean, because this is too much to bite into.

Stinger, Raptor, Garou flying around destroying Moraimaazu.

Wait, what happened to the Kyuulette? The episode started with the group of five destroying Moraimaazu and they formed a robot without Spada, so that was 6 characters. What happened to the arbitrary 5 limit? What's the point of that limit if you can just ignore it whenever you want?

There's a 10th KyuuRanger? What's the point of prophecy if it's invalidated less than 10 episodes into the series? I know I complained about Shou Lonpou being superfluous, but doesn't my point still stand? We're just now starting to learn a little of Spada's back story (which he tells us, instead of showing us) and now there's another character who's a main.

Is anyone else disappointed by Maadakko and Ikaagen as the new main villains? Elidoron was cool. These two say their names like they're Pokemon. We needed 9 to beat Elidoron. Why do these two need 10 people? How are you going to keep this scaling up for 50 episodes?

Why is this called Shou Lonpou's secret? Are they going to answer that question or hope no one remembers in the next episode?

You named your show KyuuRangers and hyped the fact that there are 9 members, and you change that up in less than 2 months. If we're done plugging the toys and crap, can we please get some story and character development?
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: KyuuRanger Space.08 released

Post by PHurricane »

I really don’t want to be negative about this show, but I found myself shaking my head and sighing way more often than I’d like during this episode.

The good - using Balance and Naaga’s skills (and Champ’s muscle backing them up) to go off on a treasure hunt rather than just sitting around on ORION. If you're not going to deploy all 9 KyuuRangers in the same fight, at least let them be useful elsewhere.

The bad - just about everything else? More like, the execution of everything else was poor, because there was a lot of good potential in the different story threads.

The Commander’s plan was - shock of all shocks - really good. Five Moraimaazus near each other, so take them all out in a single campaign. They threaten the stability of the entire planet by removing Planesium, so they should be the priority.

Spada had a point though - the governors needed to be taken out along with the Moraimaazus (which I assumed would happen when they defended the Moraimaazus, but apparently not always...), and the team was certainly big enough to divert some of their energy toward accomplishing both tasks. From what I could tell, Kajiki wasn’t even attached to KyuuRen-Oh when it flew off to help the refugees, so I was okay with him focusing on the secondary problem. That doesn’t mean he wasn’t being hypocritical with all that “no one argues with the chef” stuff. He was conveniently ignoring the fact that, in this analogy, the Commander was the chef. Frankly, this episode made Spada come off very unlikable.

The next problem is that Lucky and Hame should never have followed Spada, especially since KyuuRen-Oh fell apart without ShiShi acting as the torso. But even with only three of them following the original plan, they still managed to take out a fourth Moraimaazu, so I could forgive that if things hadn’t fallen apart even further, which of course they did once Stinger saw Kotarou under attack.

Seriously, Commander - you left an Earth kid in charge of your spaceship?!

Anyway, I think the problem with this episode is that the Commander is treating the KyuuRangers like a military strike force, which is admittedly how I've been thinking of them as well. Truth is, this is a random group of people with little to no training on how to function as a team. Since this seems like a two-part arc, if they address that in the next episode, I think that would pave the way for stronger stories moving forward.

Oh, and the biggest problem for me? I still don't see Ikaagen and Maadakko as threats. Even having taken down 6 KyuuRangers this episode, it felt more like the odds being in their favor (2 vs. 2, 2 vs. 1, and 2 vs. 3) and the heroes fighting recklessly instead of them displaying some super assassin skills.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I don't think the 5 person thing is limit that they can't break but they try not to. I think transforming and being a Kyuuranger uses up some energy if I remember correctly. When it's small ops like typical monster of the week shit it's probably best to conserve that energy with the Member Limit. But with ops like taking out 5 towers I doubt they could skimp out on firepower and decided to go all out. That's the closet thing to explain that limit that I could think off.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

Well the name of the show is a lie now that there are more than 9 rangers. I really cant say much more other than this episode looked like a steak that was 75% fat and 25% meat.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
PTM966666
Adventure
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mikie Hara
Favorite Actor?: Tom Hanks
Favorite Band: Coldrain
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by PTM966666 »

I think this episode shows some drawback of the current KyuRanger. They are normal people from over the galaxy that are picked by the Kyutama; which mean they are not military trained and still work with their instinct. This is why they easily break off formation, refuse order and let the Jark Matter take advantage of that; which is a common mistakes for newly formed Sentai group. I still think that the 5 members limit is still a valid point since you shouldn't deploy all your troop in small-normal operation; but this operation is big so it makes more sense to send out a bigger force.

P/S: lol Stardust Operation ? any Gundam fan around here :D
Katiana
Adventure
Favorite series: too many to list
Favorite Band: Eyeshine
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Toku

Post by Katiana »

Can I call it now and say that Xiao Longbao is going to be revealed to be a former member of Jark Matter. Ikkagen and Maddakko's reactions to his appearance in the fight made it really obvious that the three had history, and they'd also seen his Ranger form before.

-snip-
Last edited by Lunagel on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no spoilers please
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

takenoko wrote: You named your show KyuuRangers and hyped the fact that there are 9 members, and you change that up in less than 2 months. If we're done plugging the toys and crap, can we please get some story and character development?
The issue with the number is in the translation. Apparently Kyu means various words including ultimate and savior. It's possible that everyone thought that we got the version that means nine and the constant talk of the number was a red herring. Go to the Power Ranger Wiki on Wikia for a better explanation.
Last edited by Lunagel on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary quote
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

The episode is what I needed. I liked the multiple plots because it showed that the rangers have a long way to go before becoming one supreme team. The lack of real leadership showed that Xiao has too many skeleton's in his closet to be the true commander...

Sparda's insubordination was merited because the bad guys will always have plenty of bases to use, but take out the leader then everything falls into place after that. There was such a big fuss about saving civilians in the first episode that it makes no sense to not take out the bad guys on both fronts.

The two assassins seemed to be the kind to adapt to their surroundings and if you look at what they're based off of it makes sense. Cephalopods have multiple nerve endings that allow for any changes around then to be detected and then avoided. this of it like a version of the Spider Sense and it takes similar power to counter this reaction.

As for the issue of the tenth ranger, there are multiple meanings for the word kyuu. The Wikia link gives all the translations, with other things that leads to serious spoilers, and some of the other words fit the team. Japan is full of words that sound the same and it was easy to be lead to the wrong conclusion about what form of kyu was being used. The talk of the all powerful nine was the big issue, but nothing ever goes as planned perhaps no one ever thought to find more than nine rangers because its many translations.

I think that the trailer including a time limit for the commander screams Mega Silver and the trench cloak look acts as the external power source.

As for the boy, look it up.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Wew, even more rangers. Can't wait for other colors to join.

No, seriously, just how many rangers this sentai gonna have? It's already ten rangers on eight episode.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
Draccy
7X
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nico Robin
Favorite Actor?: Liam Neeson
Favorite Band: T-Pistonz+KMC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Draccy »

So Shou finally shows off his henshin device, but that KyuuTama doesn't look complete. Oh, apparently the Ryu Violet suit is a helmet and chestplate from his
Spoiler
Ryu Commander form
combined with Toq 7gou's suit. I hope that's ture, because it'd be silly.
Not sure what to say about the rest. Yay for team split up, but... eh?

Edit: Apologies, I forgot the spoiler tag had its own rules. Won't do that again.
-snip-
Last edited by Draccy on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

This is a reminder NOT to talk about future rangers. Spoiler tags are for talking about the previews, not about unreleased material.
MagusKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Quote: The whole world is insane, we just have to be sane enough to accept it

Post by MagusKaiser »

after watching the episode all I can say is this, the pacing is getting a little nuts, eight episodes in and we're already tackling so many different plot points at once I have a feeling a lot of them are either going to die off right away or get lost in the madness, also seriously a tenth ranger now? what's next when it gets to the point of "Oh lets introduce the new ranger(s) that'll help the team and are over kill strong to begin with but taper off towards the middle of the high point of their appearance" and we get two or three more rangers is Kyuuranger just throwing in numbers to out do someone or some group (GAIM) just because they had more fighters or something? Also with this tenth ranger now shouldn't it be Jyuuranger?
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

takenoko wrote:You used a KyuuTama just to make fish? What are you? Jesus?
He was even doing it to feed a large group of poor people, the same thought occurred to me. :lol:
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I think I liked this episode more than the rest of the usual crew here. It definitely wasn't perfect, but I'm a sucker for two-part episodes; the greater stakes that come with it really helps KyuuRanger, which has been struggling to do anything serious.

Besides the above commentary, I was really surprised that they cut off Squid Girl's arm. Granted, she grew it right back - and I was expecting as much - but dismemberment is pretty serious for Sentai.:o

And for some reason, I find it really amusing that Shou's henshin device is a cane that he thrusts to the ground to activate. Coupled with his purple coat (and general purple theme) and I really want to start calling him Pimp Commander...

That said, i echo all the sentiments about yet another Ranger. We're only 8 episodes in and the core characters haven't even been fleshed out yet, and here we are adding yet another one to the mix. I don't know if this show has too many characters, but it certainly has too many people showing up to fight. Though for what it's worth, I get the distinct impression that Shou isn't our 6th Ranger, rather he'll be an auxiliary like the Spirit Rangers. However that also means we're going to be due yet another Ranger...

Production observation: Huh, they have actual physical models (or parts of them, at least) for the pink and blue Voyagers. I was not expecting that. Even the red Voyager's physical model almost never gets used. On the other hand, we only got one flashy henshin this episode, which is oddly low-key
takenoko wrote:Are we supposed to cheer for Spada for choosing his individuality over mindless orders? Or are we supposed to spurn him for defying orders, leading to further suffering later on? You used a KyuuTama just to make fish? What are you? Jesus?
I think it's safe to say that you're supposed to cheer for him. He's a good guy and acts with justice in his heart. I fully expect the conclusion of the next episode to validate that Shou's plan to ignore the governors was wrong.
Wait, what happened to the Kyuulette? The episode started with the group of five destroying Moraimaazu and they formed a robot without Spada, so that was 6 characters. What happened to the arbitrary 5 limit? What's the point of that limit if you can just ignore it whenever you want?
The episode that established the limit was pretty clear in its lampshade hanging that the 5 member limit is for production reasons. Presumably Toei doesn't have the manpower to actually stage large fights week-in and week-out. However that limit is going to be for suited fighting; when it's CGI stuff, then it's like any other CGI. But more to the point, I expect that this will be like Kyouryuuger: they're going to bring all 9 10 Rangers out on occasion to stage big fights for major story arc episodes.

At the end of the day, the 5 member limit is just a tool to allow them to hand-wave why average episodes only stage fights with 5 Rangers. Nothing more, nothing less.
Is anyone else disappointed by Maadakko and Ikaagen as the new main villains? Elidoron was cool. These two say their names like they're Pokemon. We needed 9 to beat Elidoron. Why do these two need 10 people? How are you going to keep this scaling up for 50 episodes?
Yes, I'm equally disappointed. I do like that Ikaagen can so smoothly dodge enemy attacks - that never stops looking cool - but otherwise these two don't have anything going for them. They're obviously not meant to last all season, so there's no sense in building them up too much, and at the same time the show is already drowning in characters.

I do appreciate that the production is trying something different than "Big Bad sits in his base all season while he sends his generals out one-by-one to get defeated every 10 episodes", but the lack of a real Big Bad is hurting this season. Jark Matter is omnipresent, but doesn't look very threatening to the viewer. To go back to Star Wars analogies here (since that's what the series is clearly based on), we've established the Stormtroopers and the Moffs, both of which are disposable bad guys. And somewhere in there is the Emperor, albeit disappointingly faceless here. However we don't have Darth Vader; Jark Matter doesn't have its scary enforcer that puts a consistent face on all of this evil.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

I've got it! We'll call him Kaji-sus! :lol: