KyuuRanger Space.09 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 am

☆☆☆☆☆
32%
☆☆☆☆
57%
☆☆☆
4%
☆☆
No votes
7%

Total votes: 28
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.09 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.79 / 5 (29 votes)

Alternate Title - Shou Lonpou gets his groove back

Great visuals in this episode. Loved the dawn scene with Lucky and Shou. The dragon is cool looking. I love the eastern dragons, and it reminds me and probably a lot of you, of DaiRanger's RyuuSeiOh.

Shou actually gets an arc. I honestly don't know how I feel about Lucky always being right though. He's honestly way too thoughtless and annoying to be the pseudo leader. It honestly sucks to see him charge in blindly and always go "I don't need to think about my actions because I'm the luckiest man in the galaxy." I wish Shou Lonpou were a cool and respectable leader like Doggie Kruger.

I also have mixed feelings about the commander talking about how obedience is the key to an organization, and then running off on his own like a hotheaded red. It kind of feels like the writer got the roles mixed up. I think the message of the episode would have been stronger if Spada (or any of the face characters) were the one learning the lesson instead of the commander. Instead, the message is split across the two characters, and it just leaves me confused as to what the writer was trying to go for.

So Spada got captured as a result of his disobedience. But he also disobeys the commander and saves him by fighting by his side. Mixed messages?

Wait, why did the assassins just capture Spada instead of killing him? Is Shou really that valuable? Wait, it's not like someone rescued Shou. The assassins could have taken them both. Honestly, an episode about Spada and Shou working together to break out would have been much better?

Other nitpicks, I don't understand why Shou acts the way he does. Why does he talk like a kid? Why did he hide the fact that he has KyuuRangerlike powers? Why try to save Spada by himself? Why didn't Octopussy and Ikaagen set traps if they were asking all the KyuuRangers to come? That was the whole point in taking a hostage, wasn't it? He didn't seem like he acted that way in the flashback. I'd love it if they were trying to present him as a flawed leader who sometimes makes bad decisions because he was thrown into the situation out of desperation, but that'd be giving this writer too much credit.

Don't think that's the last we'll see of Octopussy and big bear.

4 / 5 stars, good visuals, nice backstory for the commander, not as convoluted as last weeks in terms of multiple sub plots.

Please, Kotarou, go away. Can we please get some stories that flesh out the KyuuRangers some more? Also, when are we going to get some monsters-of-the-week that aren't just slight modifications of the generic trooper enemy?
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: KyuuRanger Space.09 released

Post by PHurricane »

This was definitely an improvement over last week. Our “assassins” are still the weak point in this arc, but I could forgive them for not immediately killing Spada. Their job was to kill all of the KyuuRangers. It would be a lot easier to lure them all in for the kill by giving them a chance to save their teammate rather than immediately kill him and have to chase them throughout the universe when they run. Honestly, it's one of the more logical plans they've had since their debut. It would have helped if they had guarded him a little better, but it's not like I was expecting much from them.

We also got a great explanation for why there was seemingly a 10th warrior for a team of 9. Of course, it is officially 10 now, thanks to Shou getting the approval from the constellation and the 9 KyuuRangers. I chuckled at the joke about changing the show’s name to JyuuRanger because of that. I thought that was all handled really well. We'll have to see how the pacing is during the middle third of the series, because a story arc like this would have been a great thing to introduce after we had more backstory on our existing 9 warriors. (Although waiting that long to give Shou and Big Bear's backstory might have been too much of a stretch.)

The Commander’s suit actor had to have worked on Wizard, because those spins and coattail flips look like they were straight out of that show’s action choreography.

I was so happy that Maadakko was killed because I thought Ikaagen had a chance of being written better without her, but then he had to go and pick up her tentacle. Can we not regenerate her? We really don’t need to keep another character around who is 90% catchphrase.

So, the only difference between the governors’ names was Meccha vs. Muccha? What is this, Ex-Aid?

One critique I can’t ignore: if they wanted the dark background for Ryuu Voyager’s debut, fine, I can understand staging that in space or on the moon despite the Earth governors usually sticking to fighting on the planet. But why did we instantly go from early morning/midday to the middle of the night on Earth as well? And then at the end of the fight, it turned out they were on Earth the whole time because the cityscape melted back into view? Seriously, this is not Ex-Aid where you can pull a Stage Select in the middle of your fight! Or if you are going to do that, mention how one of your TEN warriors has the power to pull the fight into a subspace.
takenoko wrote:I honestly don't know how I feel about Lucky always being right though. He's honestly way too thoughtless and annoying to be the pseudo leader. It honestly sucks to see him charge in blindly and always go "I don't need to think about my actions because I'm the luckiest man in the galaxy."
That line left a bad taste in my mouth. I actually liked Lucky following Shou down to Earth, but that should have been the point where Lucky reminded the Commander that he's not alone anymore and that the KyuuRangers are stronger when they fight together...not that Lucky ignored the order to stay on the ship because he never has to worry about the consequences of his actions. That's the opposite of the type of morals sentai can sometimes get too preachy about.
DERPDERP91357
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by DERPDERP91357 »

Ryuu Commander just reminds of Dekamaster...which is ironic cause Dekaranger vs Gavan is suppose to air in 2 months and the kyuranger plot suggests that the Dekas were dealt with.

Ignoring that ... this episode literally means the premise is irrelevant to the plot cause they can just inserting as many rangers as they want...and the preview shows that I'm right (which also makes red-exclusive power-ups all the more infuriating).
The number of back story episodes to explain each character is going to be ridiculous at this rate...(to explain Hammy, Stinger's brother complex, Lucky's mysterious past, etc)
And where do they store these auxiliary mechs... the orion clearly only has 9 parking spots.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

DERPDERP91357 wrote: And where do they store these auxiliary mechs... the orion clearly only has 9 parking spots.
I just started laughing my head off at that, thank you
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This wasn't a 5, but it was a solid episode.

Pimp Commander is still a dofus, but damn has he got style. Other than being the 10th gorram Ranger in 8 episodes, I like everything about the suit and weapons. He gets a pimp cape and a pimp cane that even fires bullets. Now if he only had a hat...

And yeah, the Dragon Voyager looks a lot like RyuuSeiOh, and that's okay. It's a nice design, and I really like the physical model for it.

On which note, I guess this does in fact make him the 6th Ranger, since 6ths get their own mecha complete with physical models, while extra heros are typically limited to CGI. I do wonder just how much we're actually going to see Pimp Commander in the field though. It's not like this show has a lack of characters. In fact this means a full 50% of the team is now composed of suits.:(

Meanwhile I appreciate that this episode was serious. We've had too many harebrained episodes from the start, so the fact that this episode had meaningful stakes and gave the characters a chance to grow may mark the turning point in what has been a weak series thus far. Though I also appreciate that it doesn't get too far away from being humorous; I had a nice, long cackle when Pimp Commander sucker punched Lucky. That that, you brain-dead walking catch-phrase!:D

The downside here, besides the convenient absence of 3 of the Rangers, is that the whole thing is just a bit too convenient. The purple power itself is a bit of an ass-pull; I guess Shou gets it because of his determination? But if so, why can't that happen with the other 78 Dragon Balls?

Also, the mecha fight leaves me with real mixed emotions. It looked great. But there's no logical sense whatsoever for the Earth to suddenly be the moon. It's so blatantly wrong that I seriously suspect something went wrong here. Either something had to be cut, or some footage was meant to be created that never happened.
takenoko wrote:So Spada got captured as a result of his disobedience. But he also disobeys the commander and saves him by fighting by his side. Mixed messages?
Very mixed. On the one hand I'm a bit pleased that the moral of the story wasn't that Spada was right, which is what I was expecting and is normally the "customary" Sentai answer to these questions. On the other hand, whatever the writer was trying to get across, I wish it were clearer. I guess they were trying to strike a balance between both points?
Don't think that's the last we'll see of Octopussy and big bear.
Not a chance that we're done with either of them. Octopussy's remaining tentacle is practically Chekhov's Tentacle at this point. And they wouldn't go through all of that effort to make a Big Bear suit only to use it in a handful of flashbacks.
Please, Kotarou, go away.
Oh god yes. The kid has got to go!
PHurricane wrote:We really don’t need to keep another character around who is 90% catchphrase.
That's something a tako would say. :P

Next episode:
Spoiler
What the flippity floppity floop?! How many more goddamn Rangers is this show going to get? We're on pace for having 50 Rangers by the end of the series! Stop and focus on the ones we already have
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I just want to say I'm really happy that everyone's calling her Octopussy now
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote:I just want to say I'm really happy that everyone's calling her Octopussy now
It's incredibly fitting. Also, it would have taken me longer to remember how to spell her actual name than how long she actually lasted on the show. :shock:
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

It was a good episode, a clear 4/5.

I really enjoyed how the Ryuvoyager appeared and fought, choreography deliciousness

Why do people find Katarou annoying? I like him so far, ha ha
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Good episode, gave me a balance of seriousness from Shou with the lighthearted moment here and there episode so I hope he stays like this for a little while

and Lucky, you not coming up with a plan of attack because you're the luckiest man alive, hell no you'll get your ass killed eventually if your luck runs out
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

-snip-

anyway, it's a 4. it's not perfect but it gives a decent background to Shou.
his choreography & movement really similar to Wizard indeed. and yes, his voyager really reminds me of Ryuu Sei Oh.

Lucky is always become the 1 is meh & the assassin is kinda dumb in their job if they let Spada rescued that easily. it can only be logical if arrogance of them both is the reason why no traps or anything block Shou attempt

anyway @ all the staff, what's the difference between v1 & v2 of this episode??
Last edited by Lunagel on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no spoilers please
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

fenrir wrote:anyway @ all the staff, what's the difference between v1 & v2 of this episode??
Wrong script (which is not final) for both SD and HD720. HD looks fine.

YamiYugi
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: Xenoblade Chronicle
Quote: I... No we wish for a world without gods.

Post by YamiYugi »

RyuuViolet is like MegaSilver: has a time limit for his henshin, is older but behaves like a child at times, but can get serious if he needs to.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i for 1 liked this episode. however no it wasnt a 5
reason 1 being this:
it resolved too quickly. megasilver needed time to figure out how to resolve his time limit issue. i would have prefered that shou fought with the time limit and eventually the ryukyutama acknowledged him, or his hopes and wishes and changed to grant him true or greater power. BUT, the 9 true kyutama responding to him, in the similar manner works too. so it works but still too fast.

EDIT: Lucky was actually smart asking Stinger if he knew about the commander being a kyuranger. as they had that secret mission before it was safe to assume perhaps stinger may have knew more.

when lucky followed shou to earth, was i alone in seeing the Ban/Kruger relationship? Shou's behavior is lucky from trying to seem cool, and keep the team even. they have the WHOLE universe to save. thats alot of pressure. plus since he has been fighting jark matter for so long, it allows for his knowledgability on them. perhaps he's acting aloof as they arent in the thick of it yet. or for a change we have a mentor who is a goofball. remember! they are breaking the molds here!

agreed they should have emphasized more on the youre not alone anymore thing, this is super sentai where the idea is "team work makes the dream work" and Shou himself be reminded that, he himself, stressed until all 9 were together they didnt have a chance. bvut im all for more ranger. i like huge extended teams. so long as they members actually are useful, and play a good role. Dekarangers huge and extended team was good. lets hope kyuranger is the same. (havent watched kyurouger yet)

lastly, RyuVoyager, came out of now where so where its going to be stored is the issue, not where it came from. like Wong Tiger was born as a new star beast in Dairanger, so too was ryuvoyager born here in this place.
and its 2017, when ryuvoyager was flying with the sun behind it akin to ryusei-oh, they could have CG'd that, instead of green screened. but wow is ryuvoyager huge! but hey is skill kyutama can be transformation kyutama someday then please let use have ....
"Dancing Star! PegasusWhite!"
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

Ok this episode started to show parts that i like, mainly visuals and the fact that even tho Shou has a Kyuutama he's wasn't a Kyuuranger. So even if they class him as a Kyuuranger i'm not going to classify him as such, I got reminded of Rusei-oh and Serpentera (Sorry i only know the Power Ranger's name for the big scary god dragon from Dairanger) which isn't a bad thing in my book.
Draccy
7X
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nico Robin
Favorite Actor?: Liam Neeson
Favorite Band: T-Pistonz+KMC
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Draccy »

I'm really biased towards anything Shou, in a dumb way, because it's Levi. So anytime Shou does anything, or speaks, I just see Levi in the situation. Always enjoying it.
RyuCommander likely my new favorite sentai look; and cane weapons are always awesome. Plus his personal "song" when transforming is great.

Hey, look, ToQger colors.
Zyuranger? Oh, Jyuuranger, close enough.

Next episode:
Spoiler
Well isn't that a f* surprise? 11 in 10 episodes. Is there no spacing? JyuuNiRanger!

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”