KR Amazons Season 02 Episode 01 released

A-MA-ZON2
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Amazons Link

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:35 am

☆☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
29%
☆☆
11%
4%

Total votes: 28
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Amazons Season 02 Episode 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... Episode_01
Next: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=21629

We're back in the ponderous and disturbing world of Amazons. Honestly, wasn't a fan of this episode. I didn't really wake up till half an hour into the episode when Iyu started doing stuff. Thought the pacing was ridiculously slow, overly ponderous and technical, and that the first episode didn't need to be 40 minutes long. Cut some of that fat down, Toei.

Don't really care about Chihiro and his Youtube boy band camera crew. How does Team X translate to being pronounced Team Ki-su? I thought it was Greek at first, since everything in this series is, but why the s? Pluralization? Team Kis?

I don't know what's going on with the new exterminator team. Were they not able to bring back the old cast, thus the time jump and organizational shift? Kurosaki yells a lot, but still comes off as bored and boring.

Tachibana is awesome as always. Kamio Yuu is turning up the suaveness this season, apparently.

The only thing that really hooked me about the episode was Iyu. Which is sad, since she apparently acts like a doll. But still, I felt like she was the only sympathetic character, and wondered what her deal was. I loved her introductory back flip. I don't know if I'm a fan of her transformed design though. Is Iyu the new Mamoru in this season?

Action was pretty bad with Chihiro at the beginning, mostly because you could tell they'd speed up the footage during the fight, but then it went back to normal speed when it cut to his jerk friends filming. The competing shots made it gross to watch. The giant flare up effect is annoying too. I guess this new breed of Amazons get to keep their clothes post-transformation? So much for that detail. What's the point of the belt talking, it's impossible to understand with such heavy effects.

I have mixed feelings about Fukuda being a part of the new exterminator team. I like the guy, but he's such a strong silent type, that I feel like a lot of my affection for him went with the feelings I had for the original exterminator team. To see him with new guys feels like a bit of a betrayal?

I don't know about the revelation that Shidou now runs a bar or whatever for hooligans. It feels like a way of giving the guy an epilogue and booting him off the new season.

Overall, pretty disheartened by this introduction. The new characters aren't introduced in a way to make them interesting or sympathetic, and most viewers are probably still wondering what happened to their favorites from season 1. The concept of humans getting infected by the Amazons cells is a good and natural way to expand the series, but I feel like I still need some convincing that there was a good idea to justify this sequel, since Season 1 ended pretty much perfectly.

2 stars for now. Now that the set up is out of the way, let's get into the meat of the story. It can only go up from here.

Is this the first time we've subbed a series with multiple seasons since AkibaRangers? It feels pretty rare.

PS: Other episode highlight: Kaijin in pretty, pretty dresses.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Amazons Season 02 Episode 01 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

takenoko wrote:Don't really care about Chihiro and his Youtube boy band camera crew. How does Team X translate to being pronounced Team Ki-su? I thought it was Greek at first, since everything in this series is, but why the s? Pluralization? Team Kis?
x is a texting symbol for kiss, as in two mouths kissing each other, like ><. They're dumbasses... I wouldn't worry too much about these teens coat-tailing Chihiro.
PS: Other episode highlight: Kaijin in pretty, pretty dresses.
Pixiv is gonna have some fun with this.

This is a slow introduction to the new world post-Season 1. Get the action going to overdrive, do it right and let's get this jet flying to the danger zone, Kobayashi-sensei!
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

will there be a 720p version for this series?
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

fenrir wrote:will there be a 720p version for this series?
Already out.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Tamaki Shirai (Chibi-Moon from the SeraMyu musicals) failed to succeed in Cannibal Sailor Moon's footsteps! No one wants to be your waifu!
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

this first episode was really slow but I remember that the first episode in the first season was really slow too before we all started liking it. There's a whole bunch of new characters this time and it seems like this new extermination squad actually has some good weapons to fight against this new breed of Amazons unlike the original extermination squad whose weapons seemed to be really useless (how the hell did they even survive with those weapons).

Preview:
Spoiler
i'm pretty excited to see the Haruka coming back. Also it seems like the guy in the blue jacket got infected with Amazon cells and is eating the guy in the red jacket. I guess they're going to kill off those characters to decrease the cast?
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by fenrir »

3/5 for this episode. it's a slow start for the new season indeed. But i do remember Amazons season 1 become very good when it goes ep.6, before it's just same slow as well.

contrary to what take said, somehow i do feel that Fukuda is the only 1 who stay in extermination squad while the others somehow go away.
for the new squad i think udamori = the new Kazu in here. kinda not serious but can do his part.
and about Shidou, i do think he already knows that Chihiro = Amazons.

tachibana is good in here, i dunno whether his motivation this time after he realize the truth about the Amazon case last season. and for Kanou now serving under him is kinda ironic for me. but yes, Kanou is a professional i think, he do his job in a good way even though he not really fond with Tachibana. The actor&character for these 2 guys are still consistent in portraying them as well.

Iyu is good chara in here, mysterious & apathetic. perhaps ya he's gonna be a new mamoru this season. is this a new thing from Toei when we will have a female as the 2nd Main Fighter/Rider throughout the series???

but, the thing i like the most from this episode is Fukuda confession when he said "we're not fail bcoz Haruka is Amazons, i failed as a creature".
this is some trace of Amazons season 1 grey area thing & it's also 1 of main reason why i like it

finished:
Densha Otoko
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Kamen Rider goth girl?
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Yea, I'm not feeling this quite yet. But it's only the first ep, so I'll let that slide. I nearly quit the first season for the same reason.

I got a feeling they're retiring old characters just for plot effect, then reunite everyone later to bring hype.

Shidou, Fukuda, maybe more. We'll see how many they can bring back to surprise us. I miss chief lady from season 1 though.

3. I wasn't entirely bored.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by fenrir »

i do believe Haruka's Mom should be back. she's much responsible for all of this.
and i do believe the old cast gonna be back. almost all of them i think, coz it seems like they still have issues in here

finished:
Densha Otoko
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

This is a bit odd, but both Haruka and Chihiro both have gender-neutral names, and ones that usually tend to be more female than male. Dunno if that's important, but it seems like an weird coincidence.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by fenrir »

agree with this one, when i heard Neo name is Chihiro is kinda get that kind of thoughts in me as well.
perhaps Kobayashi sensei wanna implies that this moral grey area thing can be applied to any gender, not necessary the hero should be a male ------> i mean perhaps 1 day in future it could be a factor when she write this Amazon story as a novel. ( and for the people who never & not really interested in Kamen Rider)

finished:
Densha Otoko
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Maybe it's like Jurassic Park. They're all female, until one of them turns into a male and you lose control over the population control. Remember that Haruka is a clone of his mom, and yet he's a male?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

In terms of art/style, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far in this season. The armored look for both the Rider and the monsters looks absolutely fantastic. Not that season 1 was bad, but the one drawback to the "organic" look of the monsters there is that you never escape the artificialness of the foam-rubber suits. Whereas the armored look embraces that and indeed runs with it; everything is still artificial, but now it makes sense why that is.

The fight choreography is also looking good, especially in the second fight. They made good (if perhaps a bit too exaggerated) use of wirework there for both Neo and Iyu. And Neo has a weapon! Heck, he used it twice in the same episode! (that was one of the things that bugged me about S1).

Monster bride was also a nice touch. I think it's a bit of an overdone horror trope, but it was well done here. The actress in particular nailed her facial expression as she was transforming; the line between lust and bloodlust gets to be surprisingly thin at times. It was the perfect transition from "I want to jump your bones" to "I want to break your bones". :shock:

Finally, I really like the chorus to the theme song for some reason. It has this odd 80s rock aesthetic to it, but it feels right at home in Amazons.

Now the downside to all of this was definitely the plot. Which let's be clear here, is kind of important.:P

Takenoko hit all of the low points there. In particular, the first half of this in particular was just too slow, too drawn out, too long. I get the desire to set the atmosphere, especially since it's trying not to be mile-a-minute modern KR, but the flip side is that a ponderous pace needs to have a payoff to justify itself. There wasn't one in this episode.

I also really dislike the 5 year jump and the fact that there's so little practical continuity from season 1. Given the episode naming system, I would have thought they had S2 figured out well in advance. But now I'm starting to think that they only really started planning out S2 after the fact. Time jumps are rather frequently used to jump-start a story so that the writers don't have to figure out how to get from A to B in a compelling manner...

And I wish the show would let itself be just a little more humorous. Mainstream KR has a bad habit of going too light, and Amazons is too damn serious. This episode had one really good joke, and that was Fukuda shooting Neo in the head to get his attention; it was a great gag, and the plinking of the bullet was the cherry on top. I want more moments like that.

Finally, speaking of the above discussion on genders, unless the regular cast is expanding next episode, this season is going to be extremely male dominated. We've gone from 3 women (Mama Amazon, annoying girl, and action girl) to just Iyu. I really like that Iyu is essentially a co-star here and not just a supporting character, especially as I think that the story they're setting up for her could be very interesting. But if this is the complete cast, then she's it.
takenoko wrote:The only thing that really hooked me about the episode was Iyu. Which is sad, since she apparently acts like a doll. But still, I felt like she was the only sympathetic character, and wondered what her deal was. I loved her introductory back flip. I don't know if I'm a fan of her transformed design though. Is Iyu the new Mamoru in this season?
I second the vote for Iyu being the most captivating character right now. Neo/Chihiro is our standard tortured hero, whereas she's a bit of a blank slate, and that opens up a number of possibilities. However if she doesn't get to have a personality, then it's all going to be for naught.

I really liked the scene at the end between her and Chihiro though. It was genuinely touching in both a figurative and literal sense. To see him stop and just be mesmerized like that. It's the setup to a boy-meats-girl kind of story, except I don't know if I actually want it to go that way since you just know if it does, it's going to end in tragedy.:(
What's the point of the belt talking, it's impossible to understand with such heavy effects.
I had the same thought. If you guys hadn't subbed that, I would have had zero clue what was being said. :?
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by fenrir »

@Virge

i think you forget the Nanaha (alpha's girl), which in my opinion also an important character in season 1

finished:
Densha Otoko

Return to “Kamen Rider Amazons”