KyuuRanger Space.12 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat May 13, 2017 10:51 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
17%
☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆
20%
☆☆
3%
10%

Total votes: 30
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.12 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.21 / 5 (24 votes)

Alternate Title - At Garou had a cool scene

This was alright. Loved that Garou had a good scene for the first time since he was introduced.

When was the last time Raptor deployed? I miss seeing her in action.

Lucky doesn't get chosen for once, but it's just a minor fight scene. Guess that's to be expected...

So... the trick was to get 11 people, but Lucky doesn't act like a team player. But it's okay since Ikaagen has more than 10 eyes anyway, which go away as soon as the scene changes, and it's up to Lucky to come up with a strategy that means not working with his teammates at all and him defeating Ikaagen all by himself. Also, Lucky learns nothing at the end of the episode? He gets rewarded for acting like a brat, then just goes back to his status quota? Man, this part of the episode is a real dagger in the gut. Like seriously, fuck that.

The mecha fighting in the rain was cool, especially with the shot of Hame in her cockpit, so of course that ended pretty quickly.

Ugh... so the combined for just turns RyuuTeiOh into Lucky's backpack? That's ugly and dumb.

Oh, Scorpio is coming? Maybe he'll save- Oh you can only afford him for voice overs? His monster face is dumb looking too? Great...

Don't get me wrong, this was definitely a 4 episode. I had a decent enough time watching it, but the flaws in this series don't get wiped clean just because they did some things right.

Oh, I just remembered the comment I wanted to make throughout the whole episode. If Ikaagen's trick is he has eyes... then why not just have Hame kill him with her stealth powers. She literally can turn invisible and does so in every battle. Seriously, why does Lucky even need the other KyuuRangers? Just Futago KyuuTama all the enemies all the time. It would make no sense not to always do that.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KyuuRanger Space.12 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Is Kubota still playing Scorpio? Because I may have heard Daisuke Ono as Jotaro.

Again, no thanks, Kizu-san. I'm not gonna bother calling Takumi Kizu by his now dumbass role of his Toei career.

Can we resolve Stinger and Champ's situation once and for all, please??

Decent episode to show off the first two-combiner. Hope that mysterious mcguffin ship Shou and the crew's hunting down has a robot form.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Just noticed your sig. Luna and I were looking at the CM for Ryu and Chun-Li's figuarts the other day. Seems okay enough. I'm surprised they can fit a lady form into that muscle base though.

What's that map behind Stinger? Is that supposed to be the solar system?

I don't get it, Mouri Nobuhiro doesn't seem like an incompetent writer. Is the producer or director forcing him to write the show badly or something? The guy worked on Gaim and Yongou for example.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Post by SacredCultivator »

Guess I'll chime in on this because this episode did introduce some things that really bugged me, most of which takenoko mentioned.

-Still dislike the whole, "Alright, lucky!" stuff but that's going to continue no matter what.
-The combination of both mechas is disgusting as heck. Definitely lacks creativity and used more as a backpack seems like a good comparison.
-Definitely the Futago KyuuTama ruins the entire show really... I mean it may not even be used again in the series... That's the thing I sort of dislike whenever any show utilizes any sort of "cloning" power... Because once you use it, it's like, what's the point of having any teammates, since you render them useless. Especially in this series where it's all about teamwork and yet you have Lucky... who's essentially the star of the show. Also wouldn't the Shou know about that KyuuTama? Unless Lucky was... lucky? to randomly find it and Shou doesn't know of its existence? As that seems like something super useful from the... start?

It's a bit painful to watch this series as a whole solely because of Lucky. As takenoko points out... the way he's written (ignoring the whole "Alright, lucky!" thing) is that you just don't feel anything for him. And he's the "leader" of the team which makes things worse. They try to teach you some morale, but then there's essentially no actual payoff for it.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

Did anyone else notice how they changed the dance during the ending song? I had to check last week's episode to make sure this was a recent change. It seems that adding Kotarou to the rotation made them finally realize that teaching children to pelvic thrust is a bad idea. As a result, they had redo a lot of the dance footage with the actors/suit actors.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

The resolution of this two-parter felt a bit undeserved. Lucky had a bad day and was willing to throw in the towel because of that. Ironically, it was him using a well-thought out plan of attack that ended up saving the day, not his so-called luck.

Personally, I find Garou more annoying than Lucky, but I was all for him punching Lucky this episode. (It was also amusing that everyone was spying on Lucky, Garou and the Commander during that confrontation. They also watched that recording of Lucky getting beat up by Ikaagen at the start of the episode.) It feels like the writers are confusing two different concepts. I can roll with everyone admiring Lucky because he gets them fired up and has charisma. Morale is important when you’re fighting a war, which is what the KyuuRangers are doing. But that is not the same thing as admiring someone because they’re lucky enough to always win a roulette or a magazine contest. Something “lucky” happening in every battle is fine as a running gag, but they need to focus less on that aspect and more on the charisma for this to make sense long-term.

I can’t remember sentai ever having a mecha fight in the rain with water all over the place like that. I would have preferred more of that than the awful combination we ended up getting. (What exactly did Balance, Naaga and Raptor do to stop the rain? Ask nicely?) Worse than a backpack, it looks like RyuuTei-Oh is just standing behind KyuuRen-Oh. They probably couldn't build a suit that big without it breaking the stunt actor's back.

I like this version of Maadaako better. Still wish she’d stayed dead, but I’ll take Ikaagen being permanently dead as a consolation.
TypicalStandUser wrote:Is Kubota still playing Scorpio? Because I may have heard Daisuke Ono as Jotaro.
That’s definitely Kubota's voice. At least I have him to look forward to.
Arigomi wrote:Did anyone else notice how they changed the dance during the ending song?
Yeah. Took me a little by surprise, but it was nice to see Kotarou get to join in. If they didn't have the new characters to add (Commander and Kotarou), I'm not sure they would have changed the choreography, but if they were getting any backlash it made sense to change it when they filmed new footage. (Were they getting any backlash? I've seen that brought up a couple places, but no sources.) Alternatively, I was wondering if we just got the summer movie version of the ending dance a little early.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Question: Why did Madaako have to change personalities? All they said was that she just does when she revives which okay fine whatever but do we really need one more personality in a sea of already frankly underdeveloped personalities?

Fuck Lucky. Just... go die in a fire or something, I am so tired of this fucking shit.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote:Fuck Lucky. Just... go die in a fire or something, I am so tired of this fucking shit.
Le gasp!
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

At least they explain why Lucky said his catchphrase but at the expense of having saying it 100 F****** TIMES THIS EPISODE MAKES ME WANT TO GO PUNCH LUCKY SO DAMN HARD ALL OF HIS OPTIMISM IS SUCKED INTO A BLACK HOLE, but at least Garu did the punch Lucky in the face to keep me calm, bonus points for doing it twice. And I find it weird that everyone is just Shou, Garu, & Lucky in wherever that is

Now for the mech fight, looks good except for the combination of Kyurenoh & Ryuteioh as the latter became a backpack, how disappointing.

Oh and Scorpio is back, as a monster, wait what? But hey it should at least it brought back the Stinger killed Champ's creator plot
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Arigomi wrote:Did anyone else notice how they changed the dance during the ending song? I had to check last week's episode to make sure this was a recent change. It seems that adding Kotarou to the rotation made them finally realize that teaching children to pelvic thrust is a bad idea. As a result, they had redo a lot of the dance footage with the actors/suit actors.
Did Japanese parents complain about the pelvic thrusting? Would be interesting if they did. Crossed a red line I guess
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So they did change the dance, but I've seen an image to suggest that the motorcycle revving is actually the next part of the whole dance. It looks lame compared to the thrusting though.

Episode was kind of lacking to be honest. If you compare, say the first episode of Kyoryuger where all 10 are assembled, it's just lacking. While I did like the idea of them reviewing battle footage to get up over the monster, it turned out to be a waste and lucky saves the day again.

Garu doing something was nice. It's kind of shit that he hasn't really done much since the first episode.

Mecha battle was nice until they combined. The backpack thing is kind of shit. I know they have to shill toys but at least have a 2 vs 1 robot battle for an episode before forcing the combination. It's also a shame they have to kill all these cool villains so early into the series. Squid man and his puns were nice.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Catastrophe wrote: It looks lame compared to the thrusting though.
Right? The thrust was always pretty amusing to me.

So Lucky is just the Law of Attraction personified , eh? If we didn't have so many peppy ass Reds lately I could deal with it. It'd still be annoying but I doubt I'd dislike him as much. Shit, seriously though when's the next time we can get a Hiromu or a Takeru, y'know an actual leader. That being said his speech to Ikaagen was actually kinda cool.

And this is just the beginning and they already have a clusterfuck robo? It's definitely not getting any better either. Hopefully their final robo is something like the Orion. They could each just dock into a spot and the robo could be designed around that. Probably easier than designing a robot involving 11 big orbs.

I'm also kinda hoping they start strictly start enforcing the 5 member limit. If they don't it's gonna cheapen the times when we really need all 11 Kyuurangers. Give the members left on the ship some silly or potentially supplementary plot on the Orion so no gets too left behind
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Yes. More Takeru types. Probably my favourite Red ever. I guess the hotblooded idiots are used more because kids like them better?
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I'm not sure why I voted as high as a 3. Perhaps it's because I've given up on them making two good series in a row for Super Sentai. This one's had a few good eps, but any hopes I had last epiode of Red getting off the ego train just derailed.

Lucky is one of the biggest symbols of what's gone wrong in SS recently. Looking back at the franchise starting with GoRanger, Red wasn't always some seasoned vet. In fact, sometimes they needed Blue to kick some sense into them. Maybe that's what we were supposed to be seeing here, but the difference is those older Reds all had something known as leadership skills.

The mecha designs seem to get dumber every year, and this "combi" was the worst I've EVER seen in a Super Sentai. what we need is a cool modular design like we had in Justirisers (if you haven't seen it yet, go check the torrents page, as T-N subbed it some time ago) where the core robo connects to the others in various ways. Limit a mecha to maybe three robos, but have them all interchangeable so the upper mecha defines the power and the lower defines the mobility while the middle defines defensive tactic (or something similar). It isn't hard to design, has far more playability in the toys, and we can stop getting these "how can we mash two already bricked toys together" that look like the mecha version of trumpcare.

But anyway...

What I hate the most about this show is Lucky. Seriously, this is Ninninger all over again. It doesn't help that we have the magic gumballs that grant random powers but only appear once or twice. And I'm gonna guess there are 88 of them out there for reasons I probably don't have to mention.

And they could EASILY excuse the Futago KyuuTama by explaining that a KyuuTama needs to recharge if not bound to a specific ranger OR that using such a powerful skill comes with a price, Imagine Lucky developing a split personality, or one of his dupes manages to permanently split off like some Jamie Madrox parody. Of course, that would require decent writing, and most of the good writers seem to have migrated to Prime Time toku (Garo, Amazons, etc.) or simply vanished.

At least they had Garou come out of the closet. I had my suspicions about him, but its always nice when the writers deliberately ship two male characters in a toku. Maybe that's why I gave this a 3...
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

I normally don't mind the Red being the focus of the show and getting a lot of attention, but Lucky is even getting on MY nerves. The last time I was this annoyed with a Sentai was Toqger. If he would just tone down the stupid catchphrase it wouldn't be so bad. I don't mind a character who relies on luck to win his battles (Joey Wheeler is a personal favorite of mine to this day), but there is absolutely zero need to give characters catchphrases like this that barely make sense. Hame's, thankfully, seems to have disappeared....along with any chance of characterization for anyone but Lucky, Shou and Kotarou. I'll finish this one out, but it's not getting a rewatch. And this is coming from a guy who loved Kyoryuuger and Ninninger.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”