KyuuRanger Space.14 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
7%
☆☆☆☆
11%
☆☆☆
15%
☆☆
37%
30%

Total votes: 27
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.14 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.48 / 5 (23 votes)

Alternate Title - Hame is picked and shows up in a maid outfit, but is gone for most of the episode because this show has problems

I was going to make this post "Hame appears in a maid outfit and was kid of cute in it" but let's take some time to talk about a few things that seem problematic with this episode.

Garou gets his character episode, but it's really more of a joke on Garou than anything, even if the message is ultimately positive.

Another good point was Balance finding the Urashima Tarou box and turning older (a bunch of stuff in this story is a reference to the Urashima Tarou folk story).

The rest, I dunno?

Let's start with Hame. She was picked on the mission, but then she disappears. She appears briefly to fight, but when the suits come on, she's nowhere to be found (later explained to be plot deviced into evacuating people). It's bad enough that she's the only girl, but she's also terribly written, and her appearances are being cut short. Shou wasn't even picked to go, but he shows up to replace her. Why? Lucky was there and could have handled being the mecha center.

Also, Raptor is sorely underused. She's a ranger now, but she's still acting as a comedic foil for Shou. She's not even helping with the transport of the KyuuTamas. When was the last time she went out on a mission again?

It just makes me feel like there's something regressive about the people who work on KyuuRanger. Like they're writing for their idea of 5 year old boys from 30 years ago or something.

First the monster of the week rants about men dancing not being entertaining. Then the butt of the joke in this episode is Garou getting dressed as a girl and the monster of the week falling for him. I dunno, it makes me feel uneasy?

The plot device of the switch having three buttons that do the same thing, that was pretty lazy too. It can be argued that it was done with repetition for comedic effect, but there are other kind of traps besides pitfall traps. The joke still would have worked if it were different things, but it was probably easiest to do film three pitfall traps. By itself, it's a nitpick. But in view of all the other things going on, it's a symptom of the show's laziness.

I honestly was looking forward to this episode. I thought it'd be a fun romp where we'd get to know Garou and Hame a bit better. But no.

I am tired of seeing the Tsuyodabee characters as monsters of the week. And here they are again, in droves as cannon fodder. What is the design of this week's monster supposed to even be? Is it something related to Urashima Tarou?

Maybe having 11 heroes was too much, so they're backpedaling? Sending off excessive characters away, and hiding the female ones since they don't know how to write for them. I don't see any creativity or ambition in this work.

Maybe this episode deserves better, but I'm giving this a one star. The good ideas are half-baked, and the bad stuff mars anything that could potentially be good.

Edit: Oh, what?! This episode was written by Shimoyama Kento of Ninninger fame. What are you doing, Toei?!
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KyuuRanger Space.14 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I preferred a time when Kazuya Nakai (Garou) was a genderbent Hijikata.

Come on, Hiroya-san, get more screen-time!!

Meh episode. Having Jealushitto in a close-up shot won't save this Sentai.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's nice to have a Garou episode, but the fact the plot is a rehash of Luckys arc from a few weeks back is weak. They seriously couldn't have thought of anything else?

Other than that, for once I actually liked this episode. Balance, Naga and Shou carry the episode even though it isn't about them and Spada and Lucky falling out during the infiltration was cool. I don't know how many episode they film in advance, but I wonder if they realised having 11 characters was a horrible idea because things come across better with fewer characters they need to focus on.

As for Hame doing fuckall, looks like she gets an episode next week. If the rest of the series is any indicator though, Naga, Balance and Shou will still be the best things about the episode.

Also, Ryutei-Oh with Libra and Orp Voyagers has a nice look to it. The Scorpion and Ursa voyagers are kind of shit to be honest.

As for your point about Shou being deployed Take, it's probably more to do with the mecha design than anything. If he doesn't then they'd have to use Kyuren-Oh and leave one member (probably Garou) to fight the monster by himself. Wait. This was a Garou episode. They should have done that!
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Wasn't anything special but I didn't hate it.
Why did Hame even become a maid? She was in the outfit for all of what, 45 seconds? Makes no sense. But like most people I was hoping that she got to do something. Just being the bubbly cutie can't work forever.
I chuckled at Raptor getting frustrated with Shou. I like the shtick the two of them have. Balance and the pigeon thing too.
But Naga jumping for joy with Balance had me actually laughing.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

Yay we got a Garu focused episode, and it felt like a joke that I did find funny at first but now I feel disappointed.

and we get Hammy in a maid outfit for what fanservice? even then it's for 45 seconds so meh
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.

Post by Zerato »

I think this might be the first episode of the series that I actually thoroughly enjoyed. Thus far, each episode has been decent at best to meh at worst. Having less characters let the episode breathe a little more and the result was pretty good. That's not to say the episode is without it's problems (the aforementioned shafting of our 2 female characters being the main one); but when compared to what came before this, my complaints are minor. I do hope we maintain this status quo with our characters for at least a while. It'd be cool if we got a few episodes that focus completely on our absentee rangers (i.e. focusing on Koutarou going through training at HQ or on Stinger and Champ with their mission) without featuring the main team at all. I doubt the creators would ever do that, but it'd still be cool to see.

Also, Lucky used his catchphrase only 3 times this episode. Unless I'm forgetting something, that's the least number of times he's used it thus far. Maybe if we're lucky enough (ugh), we'll get that number down to just 1.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

Most of the stuff i would cover has already been said, however 2 things haven't been brought up, first, i think this is the first time so far in the series that Spada used his pointy visor in a fight, which i found to be a nice touch, secondly I really hope Hame/hammy got Jealoushuto out safely, was highly surprised to see him as the team followed the luxury loving MoTW when they got onboard the floating palace
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

so they wanted to do something with Garou but they were not sure about his background and decided to do some lucky inspired gender bending (which is probably why they removed Hame almost entirely from episode) abominable episode? Also I am not sure if anyone realized but this MotW was one hell of a sturdy one he got attacked from back like what? 4 or 5 times almost by every member on team yet didn't even get battle damage. On a strategic point Shou coming down to help with mecha fight makes sense after al Super Sentai is a team(red) play and since Hame was missing they only had five with Kyuuren-oh they would need to use all of them which would make MotW escape.

Over all it was a decent handling of a very bad written script. Where was Hame taken at the start for example it was not one of kyuurangers that got her out of MotW's clutch and why she didn't just use her invisibility to get close to MotW to steal controller? Once they had it they could try all buttons. Actually why they bothered with pretending to be stuff members if they were going to take controller by force and just press buttons anyway. All they need to be sure is to be in same room with MotW. Overall it was an episode to make Shou and Garou jokes of the show which is kinda sad since Garou was one of serious members of the team at start.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

This episode's first mistake was Garou getting depressed at his lack of luck after having punched Lucky twice for having the exact same reaction to the exact same issue. It wasn't its last.

Advanced LuckyCount Breakdown:
Spoiler
“Lucky”'s by Lucky in episode 14:
  • Spoiler
    “Yossha Lucky”’s: - -- - –- - 5
  • Spoiler
    “Lucky!”’s, “Luck”’s: - -- - 2
  • Spoiler
    In Japanese: -- - -- - -- - -- 2
    Total: 7 English, 9 Both

takenoko wrote:Let's start with Hame. She was picked on the mission, but then she disappears. She appears briefly to fight, but when the suits come on, she's nowhere to be found (later explained to be plot deviced into evacuating people). It's bad enough that she's the only girl, but she's also terribly written, and her appearances are being cut short.

First the monster of the week rants about men dancing not being entertaining. Then the butt of the joke in this episode is Garou getting dressed as a girl and the monster of the week falling for him. I dunno, it makes me feel uneasy?

Maybe having 11 heroes was too much, so they're backpedaling? Sending off excessive characters away, and hiding the female ones since they don't know how to write for them. I don't see any creativity or ambition in this work.

Edit: Oh, what?! This episode was written by Shimoyama Kento of Ninninger fame. What are you doing, Toei?!
All this. Actually, the entire show has been feeling somewhat misogynistic for me, especially as of late--having two out of eleven rangers be female was only the start of it. I want to like Hame, but she really feels like a stereotypical teenage girl. Raptor is a comic relief character who barely fights anymore, and Maadakko is now a typical subservient henchwoman. Last week Hame was zombified and served no other purpose for the entire episode, here she hardly shows up at all, and one of the first things that happens in the next episode preview doesn't bode well either. If Toei want to try to get me to drop a show, taking already-bad writing and adding in themes that go against my principles is a good start to doing it. Maybe I'm being too harsh on the show, but it seems to be cruising further and further from the point where it can make an easy turnaround.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Isn't this show targeted towards 5 year old boys, what will sell more more male heroes that boys can pretend to be or more female heroes. I always assumed the one or two female characters was so the young boys will develop a crush of some sort. The girl they want to be on a team with to be closer too. (Sort of like Kimberly for most power ranger audiences)

The fact they wanted a garou focused episode is great, the fact that they didn't even get into any of his actual backstory isn't. It was almost like we were going to get into it but the whole monster falling in love interrupted it. Clearly Garou feels underused on the team, we saw this in the last Garou/Hame episode. He want to be the leader so he can avenge his species, now that he hasn't been on that many missions he is starting to feel like he should've been killed with the rest of them. I would've loved if the Lucky/Garou pep talked would've happened there and Lucky would've mentioned a bit of his backstory that we also don't know of. Clearly he may be the last of his people as well, with the image of kid Lucky in the middle of destruction. Then Garou suck it up do the stupid ass dance and pick blue.

There's a lot to this show that I don't mind. I don't mind the two female heroes to the nine guys. Do I wish there were more, yes we may actually still get more. There's still a couple of episode marks where Extra Rangers usually appear. (Episodes 17-19, and Episodes 30-33) There may be more female Kyuurangers. Mind you they could also use those markers to reintroduce Champ, Stinger, and Kougma. I'm loving the theme, I love the music, I love the characters (Even if they are poorly written). This is one of those seasons I wish I worked at Nickelodeon and was able to write the scripts because there are so many tiny story elements that if done better would've made the rest work. I wouldn't even change much from the plot. Things I've noticed.

Shou has no idea what he is doing. All the rules he has made are rules he has made up trying to predict what troubles they will have. He had a time limit with his power when he was RyuuViolet. I'm theorizing that the five Kyuuranger rule (other than being a plot point for Lucky and now Garou) is because he also believes that even the transformation Kyuutama either have a group timelimit or their own individual ones. He didn't want to risk it at first because he got screwed by his own time limit. I'm assuming since they've had multiple battles with more than five he is opening up that rule. (This episode had Six) I wouldn't be surprised if he admits it and gets rid of Kyuulette the Chance. (Only to come up in the final episode, who will fight Dark Matter 1v1 while everyone else saves everyone. We all know which Kyuutama is coming out of that one.
Spoiler
Naga

I also like the overarching villains. Too bad they don't have time to have their backstories developed with all the other characters. That would be something I would change though. However with how fast we go through them, I think Scorpio will be getting some big fight scenes in the next couple episodes. Then we get the next big bad for 6-9 episodes. It's a unique style that hasn't been done this way in Sentai. Usually the generals all sit around and just watch the MotW attack the rangers over and over again and then eventually they fight in the last five episodes. Sometimes one of the generals die before the first 13 episodes. (Or episode 1 in Jyuohger's case) I wouldn't mind them adopting a more story driven arc formula that way in future Sentai.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I mean, Mxylv makes a good point, none of the women on the show are any good. Should we excuse it just because all the other characters are also badly written? I don't see why we should, since I probably complain just as bitterly about the other characters sucking. It's just one more nail in this coffin of sucking.

Even Ninninger and Jyuohger, two shows that should never be held up as shining examples of something good, had at least one good female character on it. Kasumi from Ninnin and Amu from Jyuoh were at least smart and personable. Raptor's had two or three good moments early on, and nothing lately. Hame is less than a character. It's bad, man.
zigmenthotep
Adventure
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by zigmenthotep »

Am I the only one who wishes Spada would just kinda go away and never come back? I just hate him more and more with every cooking simile.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Raptor being kind of shafted I kind of get. She's the designated ship pilot and she seems designed to play of Shou.

Hame I don't get. Only other female member, one of the original 3 has so far has done fuck all that is memorable. Like Balance this episode wanting to steal shit, actually stealing shit and having the loot strapped to him while he fights is good because they've shown that he's a thief so it's in character and gives him something to do when the episode is not about him. Hame this episode is in a maid costume for a small period of time for what I assume is fanservice and then fucks off and does nothing? She's a damned ninja, why the hell didn't they just put her on the infiltration mission with Lucky and have Spada go on the mission where they need to entertain some guy that wants luxury? I'm sure his cooking skills would have helped.

Actually, why do they use the stupid Kyulette on a mission like this where you should pick members based on talent? Arghhhhhh.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Could've used Hammy for this episode, but noooo....
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

We've easily had worse Sentai episodes. Still, this isn't a good episode or even a decent episode. It's going to vie with the dancing episode for the worst episode of Kyuuranger (so far).

I like that this episode went with two teams, which is something the series should be doing more often given the large number of heroes. Still, that doesn't make up for the fact that pretty much everything else in the episode was a disaster.

Seriously, why was Hame even in the episode? Even disregarding gender matters, she wasn't used in any meaningful capacity. Balance and Naaga were the comic relief, Garou was the focus character, and Lucky + Spada were the rescue team. It almost feels like someone realized they only have 3 face characters now, so they may as well just use all of them...
takenoko wrote:Edit: Oh, what?! This episode was written by Shimoyama Kento of Ninninger fame. What are you doing, Toei?!
That makes this this first episode not written by Mouri Nobuhiro. Which explains why it's a stand-alone comedy episode with no real stakes.

I get why most series have multiple writers. Still, when it's not done well, you get episodes like this one where it's clear the B team was instructed not to rock the boat while Daddy was gone.
Kuchiri wrote:Shou has no idea what he is doing. All the rules he has made are rules he has made up trying to predict what troubles they will have. He had a time limit with his power when he was RyuuViolet. I'm theorizing that the five Kyuuranger rule (other than being a plot point for Lucky and now Garou) is because he also believes that even the transformation Kyuutama either have a group timelimit or their own individual ones. He didn't want to risk it at first because he got screwed by his own time limit. I'm assuming since they've had multiple battles with more than five he is opening up that rule. (This episode had Six) I wouldn't be surprised if he admits it and gets rid of Kyuulette the Chance. (Only to come up in the final episode, who will fight Dark Matter 1v1 while everyone else saves everyone. We all know which Kyuutama is coming out of that one.
Spoiler
Naga
A word of advice: don't try to apply in-universe logic to a process that has none. The writers have made it extremely clear that Kyuulette is because they can't have more than 6 rangers in every single episode for production reasons. So Kyuulette is the handwavium they use to enforce this limit.

As for why it's a seemingly random lottery as opposed to a logical, thought-out process, that is a good point. I have to suspect that it's because the writers don't want to be pinned down to having to come up with a good in-universe reason for their choices each week. A lottery means they can pick whoever they need to behind the scenes and be done with it.
Eternal_Winterbane wrote:Most of the stuff i would cover has already been said, however 2 things haven't been brought up, first, i think this is the first time so far in the series that Spada used his pointy visor in a fight, which i found to be a nice touch
Good eye! I hadn't noticed that myself. That's actually a kind of cool use of his helmet.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”