Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: Mirai Sentai TimeRanger

Post by takenoko »

Great cop show. Great style and music. Just wish they'd rerelease it cleaned up on Blu-ray or something.

4 from me.

Images
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Ratings Poll: Mirai Sentai TimeRanger

Post by Catastrophe »

Timeranger is fantastic. Characters are great, mecha are great, bad guys also great.

Also love that Time Force was almost a perfect adaption from it.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

A nice Sentai from start to finish. While not perfect, the show encourages to hope for the future and not let one's own life be set in stone.

We're not gonna get a Sentai like this again.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I loved it completely until the last ~3ish eps. I enjoyed its more serious slant, with its heavy focus on worldbuilding and lore. Even more astounding: it had a real, adult romance!

But then we get Naoto dying out of nowhere with almost no character growth (I don't count his last minute "huh maybe you're right Tatsuya"), and the rest of the squad returning to 3000 with little to no fanfare. I realize it'd be cheap for them, story-wise, to be like "we love the year 2000 so much we're staying :D" especially cos it was previously established they want so badly to return to their families. But, I dunno, there's gotta be a middle ground. Domon leaving Honami is just heartbreaking to me, doubly so now that we know from Gokaiger that their kid turns out to be kinda lonely/depressed and Honami sort of an absentee mother! Maybe there was no ending that would've made me happy... I don't like it when teams go their separate ways.

Regardless, I wish we could get another sentai as strong thematically like this again. In comparison to Kyuuranger's attempt at portraying this space-faring future, Timeranger blows it out of the water - with presumably less budget and older technology to boot! Now that's just shameful...
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Spiegel
Adventure
Favorite series: PGSM

Post by Spiegel »

Great series but the picture quality is a bit lacking sadly. I've heard rumors that Toei doesn't have good master tapes anymore. No idea if that's true but it would explain why the DVD footage looks the way it does-
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's a shame that series like this and Go-Busters aren't really given much of a chance by the kids. The dark tones and poor toy sales means that the higher ups will probably want to play it safe rather than try and risk it. Timeranger had the poorest toys sales until Ninninger and was definitely a more enjoyable show.

I also just think 90s and 2000s sentai are products of the time and cannot be replicated to the same success now.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

To be fair, the TimeRanger DVDs were some of the first Toei DVDs sold so they hadn't quite nailed down their formatting. It's a pain in the butt to deinterlace these things. Were they the first Sentai series released on DVD? Hmm, I don't remember now.

Edit: No, GaoRanger was in 2001, while TimeRanger was sold in 2004. Still, those first few years of Toei DVDs were rough.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

One of the best works of Kobayashi Yasuko in Sentai. I enjoyed Timeranger during 50 episodes and the ending of this series make me cry a lot. This series is not suitable for kid because of the dark tones about the life and the death, the business and the ambition to get success... The "true villain" of series who control everything from beginning also make me surprise.

5 star for it.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

It was a nice series but lacked some in the story and the time plotholes. I wish the character development had progressed for all characters though.
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Man, you've been busy! The last time I downloaded an episode (just a couple months ago), you were only in the 20s. TimeFire hadn't even been introduced yet. I'd ask you when the big push came, but I can't read this thread until I get caught up.

Anyway, even as far as I got, Daimon was easily my favorite character. I'm going to be putting each season on a flashdrives stuck inside of a Ranger Key, and I'll definitely be using Time Yellow for this one.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Flashdrives in a ranger key?
Spiegel
Adventure

Post by Spiegel »

takenoko wrote:To be fair, the TimeRanger DVDs were some of the first Toei DVDs sold so they hadn't quite nailed down their formatting. It's a pain in the butt to deinterlace these things. Were they the first Sentai series released on DVD? Hmm, I don't remember now.

Edit: No, GaoRanger was in 2001, while TimeRanger was sold in 2004. Still, those first few years of Toei DVDs were rough.
I'm not sure if Timeranger being an early release is an explanation, as you said Gaoranger was released earlier and Hurricanger and Abaranger as well as they were released when they aired. It's not likely to be a general problem with the older catalog titles either, GoGo Five was released before Timeranger iirc (it got 9 volumes so it was done before Toei switched to two disc volumes for catalog titles) and it doesn't have those problems. Timeranger seems to be one of a kind when it comes to image quality which is significantly worse than the other seasons from its time.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Gundam Spiegel????

Looks like GoGo V was released in 2003. I dunno. I didn't have GoGo V, but I did have Agito and Kuuga and I thought those were kind of bad too. That's why I associate everything before 2005/2006 from Toei to be inconsistent.
Spiegel
Adventure

Post by Spiegel »

takenoko wrote:Gundam Spiegel????
I actually picked it because of Spike Spiegel, I had no idea there's a Gundam Spiegel. :shock:

Looks like GoGo V was released in 2003. I dunno. I didn't have GoGo V, but I did have Agito and Kuuga and I thought those were kind of bad too. That's why I associate everything before 2005/2006 from Toei to be inconsistent.
It's not like I know for sure, but I don't remember such blatant flaws from GoGo Five, maybe different people worked on the Timeranger DVDs? Whatever the reason is, it's a shame Timeranger looks like it does. If they ever do a rerelease I'll be there day one, the box set I got from Japan is one of my most beloved dvd sets but I'd still double dip. I was still in university when I got it and looking at it objectively it was way too expensive, I really had to cut corners to get it but I never regretted it.

Yes, I'm shamelessly showing of my set but I really really love Timeranger and that I can finally watch the entire series subbed is my personal highlight of the year. Thank you SO MUCH for doing this. :D
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

LOL, that's rad. I always thought it was cool that they included Yuuri as the first volume.

Return to “Sentai-Mirai Sentai TimeRanger”