Pic hosting list. Since I hate seeing that Photobucket ugly..

If your problem doesn't fall within the three sub-categories, please use the Feedback Forum above
maryadavies
Go Go!
Alignment: Lawful Good

Pic hosting list. Since I hate seeing that Photobucket ugly..

Post by maryadavies »

I'm not sure where this goes. If I screwed up, sorry mods, please move this to the correct forum.

Anyway I keep seeing this guy with the "PAY $400 or lose your pics!" extortion pic as a avatar from Photobucket around here. I just happen to have run A Newbie's Guide to RPGamer's Message Forums, where I kept a list of picture hosters. Since I figure not everyone's seen me on RPGamer's forums before they closed 'em (the link was in my sig over there) or has been on that site since the beginning, I felt it's better to spread the list around, so I posted it here for everyone to see.

You'll notice Photobucket is missing. They SUCK since they added that fee, they can die in a fire. I do hope tho this helps folks over here since I know you guys depend on pic hosters for things like splashes.

So, here's the big list!. I've moved it to a link for ease of updating (since I've posted this list on 2 different forums!) and because I took the Newbie Guide down due to the boards going down.

Naturally, I'm always looking for more places, since places die, and places sometimes use nasteh policies about direct linking. If you see any more/know of any more let me know, I'll add it to the list! Preference is for those you can actually direct link pics from b/c well, the original list was for posting pics on boards. And of course, since most of us have to pinch pennies..free's better.
Last edited by maryadavies on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:12 am, edited 21 times in total.
My Backloggery
Never forget where you've been...
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Pic hosting list. Since I hate seeing that Photobucket ugly..

Post by Lunagel »

Very informative, thank you!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think dropbox disabled hotlinking to images. Might want to cross that one out.

Just to cover all cases, Hotlinking refers to uploading an image somewhere and using the URL for it on a different site. Some sites are cool with it, most aren't since they don't want to give up their bandwidth to different sites. It also refers to linking to an image in a way that uses up the bandwidth for someone else.
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

Take; I'll do a test embed with Dropbox on my personal site, if that's true, it'll be struck off not only here, but the master list as well.

And yeah, that covers what hotlinking/direct linking is pretty much. Unfortunately, anyone who uses a signature pic, avatar, or displays pictures on any forum needs a place to stash their pics so you can use them/embed them. So finding hosters that allow direct linking is essential.

Luna; Thanks. I just got all "Uggh!" when I saw that..that..ugly extortion pic as someone's avatar. So thought I'd drag this out. I figure not everyone likes to crawl around on RPGamer, after all. ^^

[Edit] They changed the links on dropbox so you can't embed them anymore. So off it goes. Stuff happens. ^^ I mean to keep this updated so people know where to find places to stash their pics.
My Backloggery
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

I use flickr myself. It may be from Yahoo, but I like it as it is simple, has shortlinks, and no money needs to change hands. True, you do need a Yahoo account, but I'm on the Caer Azkaban Yahoo group, so I have an excuse.
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

Thanks Strykor. Did my one pic test (that's what i usually do with a new pic hoster) and it looks really good ^^ I'll be adding that to the master list shortly as well.
My Backloggery
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

Okay. Had to remove ephotobay b/c the link's dead; the site redirects to a "For Sale" sign now. But that takes care of that. ^^
My Backloggery
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

Tinypic cut off due to Photobucket killing them. Happens. ^^

[later edit] I just realized Imageshack's pay. Goodbye! As I keep saying..free's better.
My Backloggery
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

3 new added; I did the boards (this isn't the only board I dumped this list on) first before I updated the site. I hope people like!
My Backloggery
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thanks Mary!
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

NP Take. Sorry about the late but it's been rough for me lately, don't ask.
My Backloggery
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

maryadavies wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:05 pm Naturally, I'm always looking for more places, since places die, and places sometimes use nasteh policies about direct linking. If you see any more/know of any more let me know, I'll add it to the list! Preference is for those you can actually direct link pics from b/c well, the original list was for posting pics on boards. And of course, since most of us have to pinch pennies..free's better.
Hi Mary,

I'm looking for a place to upload splashes at the dimension of 8K (7680x4320). Would you recommend Behance, DeviantArt, or ArtStation????
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Have you tried any of the sites listed in her top post? She updates it so it's fairly accurate
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:36 am Have you tried any of the sites listed in her top post? She updates it so it's fairly accurate
It’s more like I want an online account to show everyone my work, so that they can give feedbacks. Like an Instagram account, a Facebook account, an ArtStation account, or a DeviantArt account.

Not sites generating URL.
maryadavies
Go Go!

Post by maryadavies »

DeviantArt works so you can publish and have such a thing. Facebook..I wouldn't call that a pic hoster, but that works. I haven't messed with Artstation.

As take hinted; I did NOT write this for something where you can display all your pics at once, like what I assume you are looking for. I wrote it so folks have a good place to stash pics/get urls to post on message boards. So far they all work (thank heaven since I've been feeling like crap lately/having sleeping issues) so yeah, most of what you see here WILL give you a url..because that's what this list is for. You need the url to post on message boards.

The only reason I have DeviantArt is it's good for banners, people who make sig pics, and people that do their own art b/c you have to publish it to get a url which is annoying for Average Joes. But that's the only one on the list that will do what you're looking for. You'll have to check out ArtStation yourself.
My Backloggery

Return to “Tech Support”