KR Build 02 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 am

☆☆☆☆☆
48%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
16%
☆☆
3%
3%

Total votes: 31
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Build 02 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Alt title - What Mystery will W solve next?

Last week's results: 4.20 / 5 (44 votes)

I was enjoying the episode up to the point where they fridged Ryuuga's girlfriend. Ugh, gross.

But for the rest of it, pretty good. The characters don't seem dumb. And aside from Ryuuga punching Sento out for no reason, no real missteps for me besides the two I mentioned.

I wonder what the deal is with the little sister in this series. Is she not human? What about her dad? He turned his tablet into a scratching post. What????

I wasn't a fan of Sento magically knowing there was a connection between Ryuuga being framed for the murder and his jailbreak. The two incidents could have been entirely unrelated! As it is, I've got a pro tip for the bad guys. If you want to kidnap someone, just do that. You don't need to frame them for murder, then conspicuously break them out of jail.

I like that Ryuuga is a bit of a dummy, but I'm not too sure I know how I feel about Sento. Besides getting a hard on for physics, I feel like there's not that much known about him. I mean, I guess he gets super depressed really easily and says Saiaku a lot? But he seems pretty perky the rest of the time?

In either case, their joint narrative explaining the previous episode was one of the highlights for me.

I think I like the visuals for the opening!

Is Misora human?

I kind of feel like they got the idea for Sento by watching Sherlock or something. Maybe he's supposed to be a smart, indifferent asshole?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Build 02 released

Post by Lunagel »

That was pretty fun actually. The jokes were pretty pithy and I like that Ryuuga is portrayed as being just a little bit thick. I'm not thrilled at the continuation of the dead girlfriend schtick (come on Toei, you did that last year) but at least this time it'll be mercifully short.

Sento is kinda snarky.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

the opening sequence looks great, its different from the other opening sequences and I like that. The episode was interesting to watch as well.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Sento and Ryuuga bickering in the cold open was super cute. Thanks Mr. Toei <3 I love how sassy Sento has been. So far he's the right balance of smug intellectual and compassionate normie.

Alright so, Misora and CafeDad are clearly not 100% human. This perhaps explains why he can so casually hack into GPS satellites and whatnot.

Ryuuga doesn't quite feel at home yet, and Misora isn't helping that. He's probably still running on adrenaline and feeling a bit persecuted, so I don't mind his repeat attempts to run away. They're also clearly portraying him as kinda thick, so him trying to shoulder everything on his own despite being shown a helping hand isn't surprising.

Re: fridging the girlfriend... It doesn't bother me that much. She was clearly going to be a bit character from the start, and it's kinda Showa-esque to have a lost friend or partner to serve as motivation for our heroes. It's just unfortunate that it follows hot on the heels of some very mishandled girlfriend fridging. >_>
I actually really enjoyed the aftermath of it. Sento doesn't tell Ryuuga to suck it up or otherwise downplay his grief, but he does try to turn it into Ryuuga's strength. Sento is very purposeful right now, so I'm looking forward to him beginning to doubt his path and/or sense of self.
Him going "wat?? a girl??" was pretty good, though. I mean, the first ep title of the show was pretty much "these guys are boyfriends now" so I don't blame him. :D

Not sure what Night Rogue's goal here is. He claims to not be able to remember every guinea pig, but is singling Ryuuga out via his girlfriend. She was approached to bait Ryuuga into a trap, so he's gotta be noteworthy somehow. Guess we'll find out.

Episode preview is interesting. We're traveling to Seito already! I wonder if they'll actually try to show the differences in the countries, or if it'll just be lip service.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

VerusMaya II wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 amRe: fridging the girlfriend... It doesn't bother me that much.
It's gross in a few ways for me. Like Luna and you said, we just had that in Ex-Aid. But also, it felt like she died just because she was weak AKA because she was a woman. I mean, according to the rules set up in episode 1, Build defeats a monster and they're rescued. So it feels weird for it to immediately go "But if you're weak, you die from the transformation." It sounds like Night Rogue knew that this would be the consequence, so it makes manipulating her and then killing her in front of Ryuuga that much more brutal and malicious.

On a meta level, it raises the stakes and it motivates Ryuuga, but I still don't like it. This is exactly why a phrase like "fridging the woman" is a problem. W was an amazing series, but it still bothers me when I think about Terui's family getting killed in the way they were. The over-the-top-cruelty never feels like they completely fit into these shows.

The other thing is, now that the deed's done, will it be handled properly and gracefully? I don't know why people like Ex-Aid, but can we at least agree that the thing with Saki was really botched on a dramatic level? I just hope this high a cost was paid so that it becomes an integral part of Ryuuga's character, otherwise they pressed the nuclear button for a monster of the week story that the guy will forget. Only time will tell, but that wouldn't be cool.

Sorry about the rambling, but it just comes off as an ugly spot on an otherwise near perfect episode for me.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

"But if you're weak, you die"

But she wasn't weak. She was sick. As told through Ryuuga's flashback about throwing the fight to cover her surgery. For all it's worth, at least they tried.

"I wasn't a fan of Sento magically knowing there was a connection between Ryuuga being framed for the murder and his jailbreak."

I just took it as him making an accurate assumption.

Gaim brought me out of lurking. It was also the only Rider series I completed post-Wizard. I have this feeling I'll do the same for Build. 2 episodes strong, double 5.

Sento is quickly becoming my fav Rider of all time. He's smart, yet dumb, funny, nerdy, but also serious. I like that.

Also, let me add, the OP takes me back to the days of OOO. Less flashy, more characters focus. The song is hype as well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>"I wasn't a fan of Sento magically knowing there was a connection between Ryuuga being framed for the murder and his jailbreak."
I just took it as him making an accurate assumption.

I don't want him to luckily guess at things, that's just lazy writing. He's a scientist, look at the data and follow through from there. I want to see him prove to me that he's a smart guy since the show tells me he is one.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Just to be clear, you are referring to the beginning of the episode?

The way he said it there sounds to me like he just thought of it as a possibility.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, at 4:12. He uses hazu which means "must be" so it's more than just a theory for him. I just prefer my Sherlocks to follow a deductive, logical trail of ideas to arrive on his grand hypothesis, rather than just declaring something that he couldn't possibly know.

When I initially heard that, I did a double take. It probably would have been better if he were just coming up with theories like you proposed. It just comes off as "maybe this guy's not so smart" for him to not consider the possibility that the incidents are unrelated. It just comes off as him looking smart because he stole the script and read ahead.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

I liked the episode too, and the plot is interesting.
And i somehow instantly liked Night Rogue when he spoke to Sento, ha ha.

So it seems Faust is choosing specific humans to be their Smash subjects, by going to such lengths to frame Ryuuga and get their hands on him. And i'm guessing that since they use prisoners for experiments, Faust is government controlled.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Does anyone else feel the pacing was a little off? Like after the reporter scene in the secret base it suddenly cuts to scene by the pier. It feels odd. Also, I feel like they could have stretched this out over two episodes.

Other than that, really good episode. I liked the pre-op narration and bickering. The character interactions are great. I think the part I really liked the most is that the episode didn't really focus on Sento, kind of like the early Tendou/Kagami dynamic in Kabuto.

Also, the fact that Batman has a voice filter, you know he's someone we've met. I'm guessing he's actually the prime minster guys assistant.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

No complaints other than the insisted use of floating formulas... Would done better if all of that AR visualization would be done from Build's visor perspective when he used the car leverage force to punch from behind.

Also, speaking of formula usages and graph visualization, that made that debut Rider kick the SLOWEST rider kick in Rider history.... Like a slow slip and slide....

This is how you do a paced episode for those worried about kid ADHD but also set where there needed to be quiet moments. This is how you show character drives over time and build on that.

This is also how you show that a phone motorcycle is not just a gimmick, but actual covertness. And it makes sense that the smartest rider also realized this too - making him not as dumb by SHOW not just tell.

Episode 2, while on its own may not be an impulse, but it is a corrective follow up to a haphazard 1.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

we're two episodes in and we already have a character death. I like it & a new form doesn't take up the spotlight in this episode
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

There are many jabs at online mediums here in this episode. First and foremost of Ryuuga's shirt, but even before that of how Ryuuga was told to explain his past...
Also, the fact that Batman has a voice filter, you know he's someone we've met. I'm guessing he's actually the prime minster guys assistant.
My expectations are indifferent, but even before that, it is also strongly correlated with how that aide screams "I don't care about toys that are broken" line back in episode 1.

Speaking of episode numbering.... F-3=2... does that mean in episode 5 we would be seeing something significant?
Last edited by Renigami on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Catastrophe wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:00 am Does anyone else feel the pacing was a little off? Like after the reporter scene in the secret base it suddenly cuts to scene by the pier. It feels odd. Also, I feel like they could have stretched this out over two episodes.
*raises hand* I was about to say that the pacing seemed off using those exact two scenes.

I'm liking Build so far, but they are dangling too many story arcs in the two episodes.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”