KR Build 02 released

A genius Rider who builds everything.
Forum rules

Kamen Rider Build Wiki Link

< Ex-Aid | Build | Zi-O >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 am

☆☆☆☆☆
48%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
16%
☆☆
3%
3%

Total votes: 31
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: KR Build 02 released

Post by Catastrophe »

It'll be that first arc rush that we're stuck with now. I still feel better after two episodes of Build vs the previous 2 series though.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

This is definitely feeling like the beginning of Heisei Rider Phase 3. We have the outfit and detective stylings of W (Phase 2 opener), and mysterious ancient artifacts of Kuuga (Phase 1 opener). There are also a lot of connections to the original KR. The only thing conspicuously missing is the evidence of a spider-man (the first two villains are traditionally a spider and a bat).

I have to strongly disagree with Take on the girlfriend being portrayed as weak. Here's a character with a terminal illness who's also been modified with a toxin that will kill her if she ever reverts back to human form. These are two things previous Smash didn't share. On to of these disadvantages, however, she's able to overcome her Smash modifications and stop herself from harming her love, even though all previous Smash lost all personality after their transformations. So we have someone overcome unbelievable odds, knowing it would mean she would die as a result. I'd say that's a pretty strong woman.

Having rewatched the first episode right before this one, a lot of my concerns were resolved. It's very clear our shop owner is a lot more than he appears, which is another throwback to W and the existance of Kamen Rider Skull. I have a feeling they are connected to Pandora's Box in ways that won't be madde clear for quite a while yet.

On a side note I feel as though Toei is pulling a classic Japanese move with this show and using it to address real-life concerns. The three nations represent three major concerns, and I find it interesting that the one representing peace is a dictatorship with a large robotic army. It seems like aa direct reference to North Korea. I can't wait to see if the other two nations also turn out to be nods to government and economic problems in current events. It might also explain why people are reluctant to destroy the wall, although I'm going on the theory that the wall is self-repairing based on what we saw at the end of episode 1.

All-in-all, Ex-Aid seemed to focus on ixing what went so horribly wrong with Drive and Ghost, and Build seems to be (if you'll pardon the pun) building off of feedback from Ex-aid. A lot of Showa fans have been aliented, and that affects overall viewership. This series seems to be an attempt to mend those bridges. So far, I think it's doing an excellent job of it.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

What's up with Misora ending everything with "shi" is that some kinda verbal tic or is every word she's saying honestly end with shi?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Ashki wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 am This is definitely feeling like the beginning of Heisei Rider Phase 3.
I hope not, seeing as Heisei ends at the end of 2018
Revorse wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm What's up with Misora ending everything with "shi" is that some kinda verbal tic or is every word she's saying honestly end with shi?
It's a legitimate piece of Japanese grammar.
http://www.imabi.net/theparticleshi.htm
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think Misora was making a bunch of lists? In that instance, she'd end each article in that list with -shi.
Draccy
7X
Favorite series: One Piece
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider
Dreamy: Nico Robin
Favorite Actor?: Liam Neeson
Favorite Band: T-Pistonz+KMC
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by Draccy »

Felt like the pacing was a little rushed, but another good episode.
So Misora can purify the Smash essence. I hope the backstories unfold well and hoping Sento doesn't become another Patient Zero.
Soichi is an interested one as well. Ex-Smash scientist turned cafe owner?

Ryuuga's pretty good with his feet. Reminds me of Bit Cloud.
Though, I don't know if I want to see him eat with his feet.

Opening is good and has good visuals.
ice_leaf
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by ice_leaf »

Good episode! The overall pacing so far is a bit fast, but it's much more attention-grabbing in content then Ghost and Ex-Aid was.

The action is fun! Seeing Build's calculations and the flying formulas, no matter how ridiculous and unmathematic they actually are, is still hilarious!

Café owner (forgot the name) being a probable ex-Smash was a surprise. I figured Misora was adopted, but I'd like it if they were actual blood-relatives.

I had just finished Blade, so seeing the reporter (also forgotten her name) do a Kamen Rider article felt "nostalgic." There's gotta be some consequences for her to be writing those thou.

The thing that was most dissapointing is that the Best Matches are randomized. Hearing Sento refer Ryuuga as a "Best Match" for his memory, it makes you think he would be more obsessive with figuring out which Full Bottles are Best Matches. Having the Driver declare those takes away the scientist aspect of Sento's character! I'd even accept the "Oh! These two are calling for eachother!", because even if it's a cop-out reason, atleast it's a reason.
Granted, he didn't have alot of time to experiment with the Gorilla Bottle, so I'll give next episode a chance to rectify this. And I can't look it up as of writing, but the toys already have a hint to their Best Matches on their labels, did the Bottles in the show have them too? Harinezumi specifically.
Renigami wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am Speaking of episode numbering.... F-3=2... does that mean in episode 5 we would be seeing something significant?
F = Faust? How fast things are going, I wouldn't be surprised some revelation about them happens then.
Last edited by ice_leaf on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

ice_leaf wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 am
Renigami wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 am Speaking of episode numbering.... F-3=2... does that mean in episode 5 we would be seeing something significant?
F = Faust? How fast things are going, I wouldn't be surprised some revelation about them happens then.
The formula refers to the Fibonacci numbers. We have 1,1,2,3,5,8,13... where each new term is the sum of the two previous terms (1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8 and so on) Fn is the nth number in this list: the first is 1, the second is 1, the third is 2, and so on. Now we extend the sequence backwards, and we get ...5,-3,2,-1,1,0,1,1,2,3,5,..., with F0=0, F(-1)=1, F(-2)=-1, and F(-3)=2. That's what the episode number is referencing.

The right side of the formula simply means that to extend the sequence backwards, we get the sequence, put in reverse order, then put minus signs on every other number. Then we add this sequence to 0,1,1,2,3,5,...

Having a mathematics background, I guess I'll be talking about how the formulas work in future episodes then ... as long as I understand it myself :lol:
Last edited by njb on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
ice_leaf
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by ice_leaf »

njb wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:08 am The formula refers to the Fibonacci numbers. We have 1,1,2,3,5,8,13... where each new term is the sum of the two previous terms (1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+5=8 and so on) Fn is the nth number in this list: the first is 1, the second is 1, the third is 2, and so on. Now we extend the sequence backwards, and we get ...5,-3,2,-1,1,0,1,1,2,3,5,..., with F0=0, F(-1)=1, F(-2)=-1, and F(-3)=2. That's what the episode number is referencing.

Having a mathematics background, I guess I'll be talking about how the formulas work in future episodes then ... as long as I understand it myself :lol:
They could still have a secret meaning to them, but it's cool that the showrunners genuinely care for correct math!

Are there any more formulas you understand? Like, the Gorillamond finisher?
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

ice_leaf wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:16 am Are there any more formulas you understand? Like, the Gorillamond finisher?
I only know what the cosh is -- it's a special function related to the hyperbola. But I don't know what the specific formula is. It might be a physics thing.

It will be seriously cool if they managed to sneak secret messages into math formulas :D
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
GenBoy
Go Go!
Dreamy: Momochi Kasumi
Favorite Actor?: Sammo Hung
Favorite Band: Linkin Park
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: ~Searching~
Quote: Every technology ages, John. The only thing that never gets old is connecting with people.

Post by GenBoy »

- What's with the tsukkomi renpatsu?
- The reporter is so desperate for coverage so she uses "that" voice when she says "Mi-Na-To". Toei, is it still safe for kids?
- A Blue Dragon Bottle, eh?!
- We can know how to cross between region on the next episode!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's taken me a little while, but does anyone else find it a little ironic that the government for the pacifist nation has robotic killbots who have been ordered to kill on sight the last two episodes?
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

so, after this episode, I realized something:

Build is supposed to be taking influences from older heisei series as well as the more recent stuff, right? well, it's clearly inspired by Agito.

Build: kamen rider with amnesia, so is basically the Agito of this scenario.

Ryuuga: almost certainly going to end up the secondary rider based on his being given a bottle and the patterns a lot of series go through. because he's been through the same experiments as Build (as far as we know, atm. there may be differences that are important later), and because he'd also be using bottles, he's got roughly the same origin of power as the main rider. the universe apparently LOVES to sh*t all over him. he's Gills.

also, unrelated to my Agito parallels, there's a great theory I found about Build. here's a link, but beware possible spoilers and speculation:
Spoiler
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 pm It's taken me a little while, but does anyone else find it a little ironic that the government for the pacifist nation has robotic killbots who have been ordered to kill on sight the last two episodes?
I think you can be pacifist and still have a military force to protect yourself from threats.

Return to “Kamen Rider Build”