KyuuRanger Space.29 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:37 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
50%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
14%

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.29 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.45 / 5 (11 votes)

Alternate Title - You gotta get back to the future, Marty!

Kind of like Don Armage's skull design.

Oh, of course Orion is Lucky's father. How nice and tidy of the story.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Re: KyuuRanger Space.29 released

Post by Arigomi »

Why couldn't they keep the time travel arc nice and simple? All of these rousing speeches about defeating Don Armage in the past feel pointless.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Looks like my original guess was right - Orion is Lucky's ancestor. (With 300 some years separating the past and the present, I'm assuming there's a couple more generations in there.) My second theory, that Orion was Don Armage/took over as Don Armage, doesn't seem as likely anymore considering they're both on the scene now.

I thought this episode was pretty good. They came up with a decent explanation for why Lucky could be the only one to check on the team in the past, and the original incarnations of the Vice-Shoguns were appropriately threatening. Naaga's plot is stalling a bit in the present, which makes me think that they're waiting until everyone is back in the same time period before they wrap that up.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

How is Orion Lucky's father? Aren't they like 400 years in the past? Unless Lucky gets put into cold sleep as well, which would be super shit.

Ancestor I can get behind. Father would be a huge cop out.
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Malika
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Uverworld
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Garo
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?
"Nobody's Perfect," until you fall in love with them.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Shiki »

You mean it's not obvious that they're father and son?
Spoiler
Or that Don Armage died in the past and his essence probably became one with Orion? And that's why he put Lucky in cold sleep? Because that's what I would do.
Favorites:
Kamen Rider - Black, Agito, W, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid
Super Sentai - Jetman, Megaranger, GoGo-V, Shinkenger, ToQger
Other - Garo, Ryukendo, Rescue Force
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 am How is Orion Lucky's father? Aren't they like 400 years in the past? Unless Lucky gets put into cold sleep as well, which would be super shit.

Ancestor I can get behind. Father would be a huge cop out.
They need not be humans though, just human-looking aliens. Them being father and son might be possible.

On another not, how old is Balance again -- was it 300? If it was, hopefully we get to see his creation story or something (although it's another plot thread to cram into the time travel arc)
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Don Armage is just a clever illusionist. I would bet that they destroyed a giant hologram of him and never realized they never touch the actual body even once.
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

Obviously a hologram. Just like Supreme Leader Snoke in the new Star Wars trilogy what with him making his hologram look much bigger than he actually is (actual size of Snoke is so far unknown to me).
I do like his skull angel design. And also that he seems to be several brains throughout his body.

And according to the Power Rangers Wiki so may this design be based on Sokushinbutsu, a Japanese Buddhist practice where one apparently gets mummified alive to reach enlightenment.
I mean I guess he has similarities to a mummy, but I'm gonna take this information with a grain of salt.
Last edited by Cyborg-Lucario on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Mummies don't generally have their brains out on full display tho
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am Mummies don't generally have their brains out on full display tho
That's why I'm taking this info with a grain of salt. I don't have any idea what happens to the brains of mummies not originating in ancient Egypt (who threw away the brain instead of preserving it in a canopy because they thought it wasn't anything special), but I guess it may have gone rotten like other organs.
While I can see how the basis of previous villains designs made sense to me, so do I feel skeptical about Don Armage being a Buddhist mummy.

I can only guess that the reason why he shows off his brains (maybe they're a singular weird looking alien brain) is probably because he needed to make space so that the size of those won't cause him pain. But I'm just guessing here.
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

im guessing the Tokei Kyutama didnt run out of power, im assuming its a singularity and 2 cant be in the same Era as each other. or since the past will change lucky couldnt have it in the future to use to bring himself back to the past but they dont paradox it thank god.
The vice shoguns looking different and being defeated in the past is interesting. perhaps they die but don armage revives them with newer stronger bodies, but lose their memories. OR they are created like the henchmen, and Don Armage creates newer ones later on.
um so that death wrom has a life span over 300 years?
did luckjy ever say he was from the Leo system? i thought he was homeless and couldnt remember his home? but in anycase, i was sorta hoping Orion gained a Kyutama and became a hero ... but stays in the past a kyuranger. dont think of him as another member think of it more as Dekabright.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Lucky says he's from the Leo system when he introduces himself.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I really want to give this episode a 5. There's a ton I liked about it. However Lucky is not strong enough to carry this episode; not as a character or as an actor (at least, as how he's told to act). So it's a fantastic episode let down by its choice in focus characters.

I have to admit, I spent this entire episode waiting for Orion to do a face heel turn, and he never did. So for once, Toei has actually done a good job not spoiling their own damn show with an obvious cliffhanger or telegraphing. I don't suppose it will last, but if they could be smarter than this consistently, I'd be good with that.:P

Lucky-isms aside, I liked this episode. It had higher than normal production values, and it shows. The future-trashed Orion-gou looked really creepy, and while not quite as flashy as last week, the fighting in this episode was a notch above as well. I also really liked the shot of Tsurugi walking up to the other Kyuurangers in the forest, resolute in joining Lucky. Both how that shot was framed and how they looked to Tsurugi really sold the scene. Oh, and first-person Shou; you can't not love that.:D

The time travel parts are getting a bit messy. This is still better than usual for Toei (whom normally quickly makes a massive mess of time), but it's not as nice and neat as it started. The big issue I see right now is that in order to avoid a massive paradox, Don Armage (or someone posing as the Don) has to live to the present. So he can't truly be defeated in the past. The KyuuRangers on the other hand can, since they come from a future timeline. But there's no chance in heck Toei goes that route. So I can only foresee this getting even messier.:|

Meanwhile, Lucky and Orion triggered an interesting blast. Notice how it went through everything, leaving a suitably-sized hole, and then Don Armage's shot at lucky did the same thing?... It could just be Toei being lazy - showing Lucky getting a hole punched through him in a family-friendly manner - but I'm not sure I believe in coincidences. The strong hints that Lucky is Orion's son are also kind of weird; if he is Orion's son, that's lazy. But if he's a distant descendant, then their connection doesn't mean as much, especially given the roughly 12 generation gap (Lucky would have less than 0.1% of Orion's DNA). So, unfortunately, I think we're going to find out that Lucky is Orion's son, and that those brief scenes of the past we've seen with him are from him being put in (or coming out of) stasis, since that's a thing in this universe.

Oh, and one can't forget Don Armage. I also feel like he's an afterthought in this episode, but he's the cliffhanger for what comes next. I do hope that we get some serious exposition with him next episode, as it's about time we learn just what his deal is. Similarly, we didn't get to see too much of him right now, but I like the design. It's not fantastic, but it's a step above the big bads of the past couple of seasons. Actually, I liked the toned-down design of Akyanbaa as well; her future design is much too large extravagant, whereas this one is actually nimble enough to fight.

Finally, I really liked the BGM they used when Lucky was fighting on his own at first. And I say this in part because Kyuuranger's BGMs tend to be unremarkable. It's as much the scene validating the music as it is the music validating the scene, but I do wish it had gone on a bit longer. I was just a touch disappointed when the rest of the rangers showed up, since that meant the BGM transitioned into the Kyuurangers orchestral score.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Considering they might connect this to usual sentai timeline at some point I think we will see a past defeat for don armage (The dimension travel could be something to traveling to another branch of same history) And we are dealing with time travel here so it is very possible orion being Lucky's father and Lucky might be just traveled in time which would explain why he didn't know about Don Armage or Jark Matter when he first met with others.
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

So much like what others have said, a great episode let down by of course Lucky. Even though i had read the magazine with the final form reveal in which resulted in me being very very ticked off, I finally give the episode a shot and there were parts that kept me interested, Armage and the mystery surrounding him for example, that keeps me interested and hooked as well as the other characters and their interactions and dedication, and Orion (even though he serves very little purpose) However, while the episode served to push the main plot forward the majority of it wasn't really necessary especially the fights with the vice shoguns, given we already know the outcome of that, apart from how they came back in the present. Personally i would have liked a bit more of a spread focus on both sides, maybe show some impact on the changes to the timeline or something instead of giving us a heavy double dose of Lucky focus, tho I will admit I cheered at the end and i really like the overall design for Armage.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”