KyuuRanger Space.43 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:35 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
8%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
17%
25%

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.43 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 3.5 / 5 (12 votes)

Alt title: At least Lucky's story is over

Inside Out isn't my favorite Pixar movie, but it does touch on some interesting psychological concepts. In modern society, we have the happiness industry always pushing the idea that any feeling other than happiness is a negative one. Like Joy from Inside Out, she's constantly scheming to force every situation into a positive one.

But an important lesson to take from the movie is that not only do other emotions have their parts to play, they're essential to the human experience. Anger, disgust, fear, and sadness are all vital to life. To ignore or suppress them under a mask of happiness would be to live a shallow or artificial life.

The fight was goodish, but the rest of this episode did nothing for me. Not only am I tired of the writer cramming Lucky's emotionally bereft story down my throat, they already did the loss of a parent story already and in a better way with Kotarou and his mom. And like I said in the previous episode, fuck Lucky and Aslan for draining any potential out of this storyline by exhausting it with so many fakeouts.

The only good thing that comes out of this is that they're hopefully out of stories to tell about Lucky for the time being. 1/5 stars, the Christmas miracle didn't come this year.

So are there any guesses to Don Armage's true identity that aren't Cuervo?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: KyuuRanger Space.43 released

Post by Catastrophe »

Don Armage is evil Tsurugi from the future.

Seriously though, how the fuck would they even shoehorn Cuervo as Don Armage?
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

I can now speak English fluently by singing songs from Sam Smith, Meghan Trainor, and Ariana Grande! Yay!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 am Seriously though, how the fuck would they even shoehorn Cuervo as Don Armage?
I dunno, but they sure are pointing out Tsurugi's friend who's done fuck all in this series up to this point, except "dying".
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Well if it is the case, I'm glad they didn't pull it earlier and have a 'Tsurugi is evil arc'.

If I was writing, I would make it so Tsurugi has dissociative identity disorder and he is Don Armage but doesn't realise it. That's why all traces of Tsurugi have been erased on Earth and with the generals. Don Armage did it to cover his tracks. He'd have an evil Ho-Oh Soldier form as well of course.

It's stupid, but it's better than whatever the obvious shit we end up getting will be.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Sadly, what appears to be lacking is IMAGINATION
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Man, talk about difficult to download this torrent set because the owner who I rent my room at where I am staying didn't pay the internet bills yet. I have to go out and find a strong internet connection. Sadepoyo T.T

Anyway, to the discussion.
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:35 pm So are there any guesses to Don Armage's true identity that aren't Cuervo?
Seeing that black crow wings spreading out from Don Armage, the first thing that comes to mind was Cuervo. I don't see any other reason to think that Don Armage was Orion or Big Bear. Definitely not Doctor Anton either.

Speculation:

I guess it does make sense in some way. Since Don Armage was Cuervo and vice-versa, he was well aware that Tsurugi and the Kyuurangers will visit Perseus, Cassiopeia, and Cepheus system to get those powers.
The reason why he is still alive? He absorbed the immortality power of Houou Kyuutama.
Reason to destroy the universe/galaxy? Discrimination towards his race/himself/family

Putting this part aside, a few questions to ask:
1. Does anyone think/had a feeling that there will be Kyuurangers/Jyuohgers crossover movie?
2. Blu-ray asides since it was released at the middle/end of that year after it was released in theater/cinema, does the crossover movies release before the series itself ends or after it ends? I'm asking because I only followed posts on TV- and watched Super Sentai after a few years hiatus starting this year. Before this, I download the series from KissAsian since (I am a college student) my college block downloading contents from torrents.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Perhaps it's just me, but I found this a really weird episode with regards to how it was produced.

The entire structure of the episode is almost beat-for-beat a season finale; the OP has been removed, the heroes are immediately charging into battle, they pull off an impossible win against a seemingly unstoppable foe, the stunt choreography is bringing its A-game, etc. Except it's not the season finale. Heck, it's not even close. This show still has another 5 episodes to go! Which makes certain aspects of this episode confusing, and other aspects unsatisfying.

I suppose a better way to look at it is as the souped-up version of the finale episode of an arc. In this case, Lucky's arc (one can only hope). But even then, this episode was a lot more intense than other arc conclusion episodes, as it really didn't hold anything back. Which really begs the question as to what's going to happen in the actual finale, if this is what they pull off 5 episodes earlier? :o

Anyhow, as it was staged like a series finale, the action in this episode was top-notch. We have several great fights here, and in fact they take up a good chunk of the screen time. Better yet, the entire episode isn't spent fighting a foam rubber monster! It's nice to have a more agile opponent for the rangers now and then, as I feel like it makes for more dynamic fights. And I suppose that's what you can always count on with Sentai; even if the story is rubbish, at least the fights are good!

But man oh man, is the story rubbish. Takenoko already sort of hit on this point already. Lucky's arc is not very compelling, and Lucky's father is even less compelling. It's not bad, it's just not interesting. We've had too many fake-outs and false alarms here. So now that Old Man Leo is finally being dealt with, it's hard to care.

In retrospect what makes it sad is this: how do you manage to screw up a Darth Vader story? :( This whole season is Star Wars inspired, and Old Man Leo is clearly meant to be the Vader. But the story misses so many of the things that makes Vader great: the overwhelming power, the fact that he's evil on his own accord, the one-liners, etc. We should have seen Old Man Leo in the very first episode, and he should have been a constant threat. Instead he only comes in at the end, and he's under control of the Big Bad, which really removes his coolness factor. I will however give Kyuuranger credit for at least making sure he sacrifices himself in the end, so that his arc ends on a strong note.

Otherwise, the last couple of episodes have moved so quickly and been so spread out that there were a few different things going on that a better series would have called more attention to and made them defining elements of the series. We now know why Don Armage wants all that Planesium: to build a big bomb. And why does he want a big bomb? Because he's going to destroy the universe and remake it in his image. That's bold; that's a really good villain plot. Heck, it's the ultimate villain plot. It's absolute rule over everything. It's been done in other shows before, so it's not necessarily novel, but it's also not a very common trope. So there's lots of room here to do something cool with it and make a big deal of it without being ironic or cliche. Instead the significance of this revelation is buried underneath the ongoing action and preventing the plan from succeeding.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just being bitchy. But an episode like this is disappointing because it could have easily been a 5/5. They had all the action and all the plot elements for a very cool story. instead the writing fails to use what it has in an appropriately epic manner, making the plot feel a lot more run of the mill than it actually is.

On the positive side, I'm glad they finally did the tako/taco joke with Octopussy. It was too dang obvious not to do, so I am very satisfied they finally made it before she was eliminated for good. Though one must seriously question why she kept fighting for Armage after his plan was revealed. That was the perfect time for a heel-face turn.

Finally, it's interesting that the Christmas stuff was almost a footnote. Most series have dedicated the bulk of an episode to Christmas. So I appreciate that they said on point rather than doing what would amount to a filler episode at this point. (Also, I could go for some more Santa Hame...)
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:35 pm So are there any guesses to Don Armage's true identity that aren't Cuervo?
This episode was like getting hit with a clue-by-four thanks to the feathers. It's Cuervo; it can't be anyone besides him. (Unless it's somehow the 1989 Denver Broncos...)
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 am Seriously though, how the fuck would they even shoehorn Cuervo as Don Armage?
It's Sentai. They'll find some absurd way to hand wave it. Cuervo wasn't the original Don, but somehow absorb's Tsurugi's immortality, etc. This is a show that just had its lead actor saved by a space ball in his breast pocket, so it doesn't stick very hard to realism. :P
Last edited by ViRGE on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

hiro9796 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:50 am Putting this part aside, a few questions to ask:
1. Does anyone think/had a feeling that there will be Kyuurangers/Jyuohgers crossover movie?
2. Blu-ray asides since it was released at the middle/end of that year after it was released in theater/cinema, does the crossover movies release before the series itself ends or after it ends? I'm asking because I only followed posts on TV- and watched Super Sentai after a few years hiatus starting this year. Before this, I download the series from KissAsian since (I am a college student) my college block downloading contents from torrents.
We actually have a whole thread going on about the lack of a VS movie, so definitely check it out: viewtopic.php?f=233&t=22436
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:43 am In retrospect what makes it sad is this: how do you manage to screw up a Darth Vader story? :( This whole season is Star Wars inspired, and Old Man Leo is clearly meant to be the Vader. But the story misses so many of the things that makes Vader great: the overwhelming power, the fact that he's evil on his own accord, the one-liners, etc. We should have seen Old Man Leo in the very first episode, and he should have been a constant threat. Instead he only comes in at the end, and he's under control of the Big Bad, which really removes his coolness factor. I will however give Kyuuranger credit for at least making sure he sacrifices himself in the end, so that his arc ends on a strong note.
There's been Sentai series that have done this properly. The fact that they introduce Don Aslan (seriously, that's his villain name, they might as well put a Darth there) and then reveal it's Aslan at the end of the episode shows total lack of planning.

>On the positive side, I'm glad they finally did the tako/taco joke with Octopussy.

That was like the one good thing in the episode.

>Finally, it's interesting that the Christmas stuff was almost a footnote. Most series have dedicated the bulk of an episode to Christmas. So I appreciate that they said on point rather than doing what would amount to a filler episode at this point. (Also, I could go for some more Santa Hame...)

Eat all the Santa ham

>etc. This is a show that just had its lead actor saved by a space ball in his breast pocket, so it doesn't stick very hard to realism. :P

KyuuRangers was a parody of Space Balls, not Star Wars, all this time???
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

It all adds up. Don Armage is actually Pizza the Hut.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:07 am There's been Sentai series that have done this properly. The fact that they introduce Don Aslan (seriously, that's his villain name, they might as well put a Darth there) and then reveal it's Aslan at the end of the episode shows total lack of planning.
Wait, was his name announced as Don Aslan at the very beginning? I must have missed that. Wow, that's really bad. :|
(Also, I could go for some more Santa Hame...)
Eat all the Santa ham
Right, into timeout for you!
>etc. This is a show that just had its lead actor saved by a space ball in his breast pocket, so it doesn't stick very hard to realism. :P
KyuuRangers was a parody of Space Balls, not Star Wars, all this time???
I'm not sure if the Toei writers have seen Spaceballs or not. But given the overall lighthearted nature of Sentai, there have been a few points where I've been left wondering if a gag/scenario was meant to be a homage to Spaceballs.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, they never say it out loud. But it's Don Aslan on the Asahi website. Too bad it wasn't Darth Aslan.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Don Armage suddenly used "boku" though...
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

njb wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:26 pm Don Armage suddenly used "boku" though...
Maybe this is really a video game world and Don Armage is Emu. :shock:

:lol:

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”