KyuuRanger Space.32 released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:45 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
19%
☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆
31%
☆☆
6%
13%

Total votes: 16
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger Space.32 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's results: 4.24 / 5 (17 votes)

Alternate Title - Orion-gou should have made a thumbs up at the end

I think I would have preferred it if the characters had to sacrifice the ship, rather than the ship being alive. The writer wants us to care about the ship because the characters care about it. There's no need to specifically make the ship alive and sacrifice itself to earn pathos. If you wanted to do that, you should have set up the ship was alive 31 episodes ago when you first introduced it. We don't need a 14th character to feel bad about when it dies, we need better 13 characters.

Specifically, we need better Raptor stories/characterization. I think her flaws are obvious, so there's no need to list them here. It just sucks that we have such a large cast, so her character gets the shaft. Also, they made Tsurugi act like a dick to Raptor, which didn't make either of them look good.

Another thing I didn't like was when the characters on Orion-gou were shouting at the ship, then it cut to commercial. That was awkwardly edited.

Just another bad Raptor episode. I mean, the ship wasn't functional to begin with. Is it really that sad that it got destroyed sacrificing itself? It's this weird mixed message of "Don't feel bad for the ship", but "feel bad because it sacrificed itself and the characters you ostensibly like also loved it". Even the bit at the end where they end the mourning scene with a "I'm hungry" bit. It's like the show runners are scared to show any genuine emotions to kids. It's very shallow and half-hearted.

I just don't get it. If you want to do a comedy show with no stakes, why not do that? If you want to have a series where you're liberating literally the entire galaxy from space Nazis, then maybe make it a more serious series and prepare to have some actual dramatic punch. Take off the kid gloves.

Best part of the episode was Tsurugi doing the Kyuulette song in his ridiculous outfit. Then being joined by Stinger on guitar. No complaints about how nonsensical the Kyuulette is here, because it was used well here. The show can be genuinely funny when they get away from the catchphrases.

Another thing that I appreciate is that Spada and Raptor are hinted to be a thing.

Just a 3 star episode for me. I wish the gulf between comedy and drama wasn't so stark. It's a comedy series, so lean into it and focus on that.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KyuuRanger Space.32 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Of course, the ship has to be replaced with the new thing.

So, what should we call Tsurugi and Stinger's little duo? HawtClaw? Radscorpion?
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm pretty much in agreement with Takenoko here. This episode was all over the place. At one point we have the suit actors pretending they're fighting with a rice cooker, and the next they're playing straight the idea that the Orion-gou is a sentient ship. Which doesn't mean that it's a bad episode, but it spent the entire time tripping over itself when the episode had plenty of potential to be a good episode.

As for the Orion-gou itself, besides the fact that it didn't need to be sentient, I suppose it's a bummer that they're getting rid of it just to replace it. Though it's something new to replace the base mid-season, I suppose.
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:45 pmBest part of the episode was Tsurugi doing the Kyuulette song in his ridiculous outfit. Then being joined by Stinger on guitar. No complaints about how nonsensical the Kyuulette is here, because it was used well here. The show can be genuinely funny when they get away from the catchphrases.
That was indeed the best gag of the episode. And I'm sure all the mamas had fun with that as well. :lol:
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Agreed on that 3. This is a botch of a goodbye Ship episode. The writer either tried to imitate One Piece, or they never saw how it was done in OP.

Not to be a pun to that partner show, but what this lack is proper build up. It's a nice idea though. Just missed that beat.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:45 pm I think I would have preferred it if the characters had to sacrifice the ship, rather than the ship being alive. The writer wants us to care about the ship because the characters care about it. There's no need to specifically make the ship alive and sacrifice itself to earn pathos. If you wanted to do that, you should have set up the ship was alive 31 episodes ago when you first introduced it. We don't need a 14th character to feel bad about when it dies, we need better 13 characters.
I think that was a homage to One Piece episode where Merry-go came to rescue the crew than dying off right after that. One thing that always bothered me was it was being named as Orion maybe old man's soul was in the ship this whole time? I guess we will learn soon.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The issue I have with the episode is that it basically copies the story from the Water 7 arc in One Piece. The ship being beyond repair, the members claiming it is a crew member and it having sentience and sacrificing itself to rescue them. I think the idea of being forced to scuttle it would have had more impact.

How are they able to form the big robot if Champ and Commander are in the past? Does it just pull the Kyutama for the limbs out of thin air?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

well miracle star i imagine can do just that.
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

I remember an earlier episode of the series (it might've been Raptor's ranger debut episode, but I don't remember exactly and I can't be bothered to check) suggested that the ship was sentient, but they never did anything with it until now. It would've had more of an emotional impact if they had built it up throughout the series, which is what's supposed to happen whenever the team loses their base.
Catastrophe wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:06 am How are they able to form the big robot if Champ and Commander are in the past? Does it just pull the Kyutama for the limbs out of thin air?
Most likely, it's because of Lucky's new powers. He's able to summon all of the weapons via his wormholes, it would stand to reason that he can do the same with the Kyutama/Voyagers.

Overall, I give this one a 4. It would've been a 3, but Tsurugi and Stinger rockin' out to the Kyulette song made me pause the video and laugh for a solid 5 minutes which earned it an extra star.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Catastrophe wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:06 am How are they able to form the big robot if Champ and Commander are in the past? Does it just pull the Kyutama for the limbs out of thin air?
Unless they died in the past, they have to be in the present somewhere too anyway. We just didn't see them yet.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Actually, during the Kyutama summoning scene, we can see two of them coming out from a portal.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:45 pm
Best part of the episode was Tsurugi doing the Kyuulette song in his ridiculous outfit. Then being joined by Stinger on guitar. No complaints about how nonsensical the Kyuulette is here, because it was used well here. The show can be genuinely funny when they get away from the catchphrases.
Yeah, the feather boa and tassels. It's even funnier that he always carry that feather boa everywhere when he's on disguise/dance/other costumes.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”