Lupin VS Pat 04 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:43 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
42%
☆☆☆☆
58%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 19
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 04 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4.2 / 5 (20 votes)

Alt Title: Tsukasa's dirty dirty little secret

The opening spoils Tsukasa's secret, otherwise that would have been a funny surprise. Despite wearing pink, I like Tsukasa as a cool beauty. And seeing her repay yellow for the info was nice.

Which sort of brings the fighting between the Lupin and Pats back in the foreground. It makes less and less sense as the series progress. You guys clearly have similar goals. Is it necessary to outright fight each other instead of focusing on the Ganglars? Red cop guy even always shouts "the Ganglars are the real threat, focus on them first" so actually listen to your advice and do that.

The next episode looks good.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Lupin VS Pat 04 Released!

Post by Lunagel »

I wish last episode hadn't spoiled the stuffed animals weakness cause otherwise that would've been hilarious. It was still pretty funny though.

Finally some backstory on the PatRangers. *And* it's not Red-focused backstory either. Are we finally learning?!

Pink and Yellow's little give-and-take was great. Okay, still shouldn't be fighting each other but we've had worse reasons for fighting so I'm willing to give them some leeway.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

I was bothered by the way Kairi was treating Umika this episode. He doesn't give her any respect, messing with her face like that. Kairi then says he understands but follows that up by shoving her head. I understand the desire to create contrast between team dynamics but they went too far in this case. Kairi comes across as mean while Tooma is too absorbed in his brooding to care.

An interesting detail is that Keiichirou didn't make a big deal out of Tsukasa's love of stuffed toys. Despite knowing her secret, he never thought of it as a weakness.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

Hey, just regarding the file names for the episodes and such. I don't think anyone will begrudge you if you just type it "Lupinranger VS Patranger". I mean that's just if don't feel like typing out the stupidly long title every week.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I mostly c/p anyway so it doesn't bother me. I am praying that they don't do a teamup with any other series though otherwise I think we might hit filename limit
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

That wasn't a crème de la crème Sentai episode, but it was still a solid outing. It's great that we're finally getting into the Patrangers (and not staying entirely Lupin focused as I feared), and as Luna already noted, it's even better that they started with someone besides PatRed. Being a red I'm sure he'll get an undue share of the focus eventually, but for now let's go along with the illusion that it's a well-balanced team.

It's nice to have a hyper-competent pink again. Katsumi in Ninninger was smart, but isn't super competent like Tsukasa is. It tends to make for an interesting dynamic, and one we haven't seen in a while. The stuffed animal thing is a bit weird in that I'm surprised it's even a big deal in a nutty place like Japan, and then they took it perhaps a bit too far with the "forbidden love" thing. But it's good to see the characters having interests outside of busting ganglars.

I'm still a bit worried about how the show seems to be stuck in this rut of giving the opposing team a small B-plot though. On the one hand it's insurance against Sentai's bad habit of stupid, unrelated B-plots. On the other hand because it has to involve the other team, it always feels like the focus character of the A-plot is getting shortchanged a bit; that the A-plot can't go quite as deep as it needs to in order to make time for the B-plot. Not helping matters, as has been pointed out, is that these teams thus far don't have a good reason to fight. They're both obviously the good guys, and the police don't seem terribly interested in the collection pieces to begin with. Even though this is called a VS series, sooner or later here the two are going to need to come together as this soap opera-inspired fighting can only go on so long.

Meanwhile, hot diggty was that a fantastic long take near the beginning of the episode! It's only 15 seconds, but for a Sentai fight involving so many stunties that's an eternity. And it wasn't an easy shot since the camera operator was in the middle of all of this, both getting low for the overhead flip from LupinRed and going high over Jaws to get a top-down look at that brawl. Go-Busters was the year that the mecha choreography team brought its A-game, and Pat VS Lupin is well on track to be the year the camera and CGI teams bring their A-game. More please!

Speaking of production matters, so we're 4 episodes in and we still don't have an ED. It's an interesting change, that's for sure. I've timed it against Kyuu episode 4 and pleasantly enough, it looks like the ED time has been given to the show. After accounting for the lack of a giveaway (side note: man am I glad to be done with those!), the actual runtime of the complete episode from start to finish is virtually the same. I do like the EDs some years, but I'll take another minute of story any day of the week.

Finally, a quick question on the translation: did Jaws really say "Loose lips sink ships" when he was blown up for the final time, or was that replacing a Japanese idiom with a western idiom?

PS I'm starting to find Gauche's lack of eyes increasingly disturbing :o
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:42 pm Finally, a quick question on the translation: did Jaws really say "Loose lips sink ships" when he was blown up for the final time, or was that replacing a Japanese idiom with a western idiom?
It is a teeensy bit of a stretch on my part but I think it fits the original meaning fairly well.

口は災いの元 (kuchi wa wazawai no moto) - lit. "The mouth is the root of calamity" which google gives the meaning as "careless talk brings disaster on yourself, so be careful what you say"

I feel like that's a pretty decent fit for "loose lips sink ships" which google says means meaning "beware of unguarded talk"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:42 pmFinally, a quick question on the translation: did Jaws really say "Loose lips sink ships" when he was blown up for the final time, or was that replacing a Japanese idiom with a western idiom?
Nah, it's the idiom "The mouth is the source of all calamity", which is a great fucking quote that I wish we'd went with instead. I've seen it mentioned in English mystery books, it's not obscure. But Luna chose to go with something people would find more recognizable, but more ill-fitting contextwise.

Edit:
>I feel like that's a pretty decent fit for "loose lips sink ships" which google says means meaning "beware of unguarded talk"

But the phrase "loose lips sink ships" is usually in the context of some numbnut in your society blabbering something to someone on the other side. It feels weird having a phrase from like a spy or gangster movie used in this context and erases the mouth pun, since jaws. I feel like people aren't going to recognize that it's supposed to be a mouth pun and assume he said something during the episode that brought about his destruction.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Lips are close to jaws!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Thanks for the responses! :)
takenoko wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 pm But the phrase "loose lips sink ships" is usually in the context of some numbnut in your society blabbering something to someone on the other side. It feels weird having a phrase from like a spy or gangster movie used in this context and erases the mouth pun, since jaws. I feel like people aren't going to recognize that it's supposed to be a mouth pun and assume he said something during the episode that brought about his destruction.
For what it's worth, I knew right away that it was meant to be a mouth pun. So I don't think the relationship is lost. It just caught my interest since that's a very western idiom.
Lunagel wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 pm Lips are close to jaws!
And the jaws to the teeth... :shock:
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

I'm not sure where exactly to ask this: what time zone are the times in the tracker site on? My time zone, GMT, or some other time zone?
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think we figured out it's GMT?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Nice to get a Pat focused episode. I think I enjoy the team dynamic of the Pats over the Lupins and enjoy them better as characters as well.

Love Pat 1. Him picking up that mook and charging Lupin Red with it was awesome.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

Hey, it might just be me, but are some of the Lupin Collection pieces old Sentai props? I coulda sworn the tiki thing from last episode looked like Gunmajin from Ohranger, and I feel like this episode's might be someone's weapon, maybe from Fiveman or something.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

They are. If you have a look at the table shot from either the intro or the 1st episode there are a lot of recycled props.

This episodes one does look like one of the ribbon weapons from Fiveman.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”