Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Princess Jellyfish 10 released

Post by takenoko »

< Prev Ep
Wiki Article

Alt title - It's Morphin' Time

Last week's ratings: Please vote!

What a fitting end to the series. It felt like everyone had their arc. They've transformed internally, with it being represented with their outer appearances changes. Even the "bad guys" get resolved in a satisfying way.

First, how funny is it that Chieko's the only one to be surprised that Kurako and Mejiro are men? I like the "twist" that Mejiro is secretly in love with her.

Mayaya, Banba, and Jiji all have their face open moments. (Roast a taiyaki over an open fire)

Keiichirou tries to be a good husband, Inari finally succumbs to her love, Fish restructures his way of doing things. It's very neat. How good is Inari prancing around dressed as Tsukimi at the end, by the way? Kind of wish Fish and Hwayoung walked out hand in hand though.

Loved the reunion between Kuranosuke and his mom. But it's also good to see Kuranosuke look at the Ama~s and realize that he needs to grow himself, hence his leaving to go train.

Sooo... I know I originally said that I didn't want Tsukimi to end up with Kuranosuke, but this is fine. It makes sense for Tsukimi to choose Kuranosuke, even though he's never explicitly told Tsukimi that he loves her, he does it through his actions. It's a very selfless love, which I can appreciate. And Shuu is too good for this world, telling Tsukimi the words from Kuranosuke's mom.

Tsukimi spends way more time with Kuranosuke and she's more comfortable around him. As much as I love her awkward romance with Shuu, I can see why she'd choose this path. I can be happy with this outcome, although I think I would have preferred it if it were left ambiguous which brother she loved. Since they're both good guys in their own right.

Thank you, Princess Jellyfish! You were fun to watch, but a nightmare of a translation project. Some of the episodes weren't as eventful as others, but thankfully no super saggy middles. And at a firm 10 episodes, it never feels like anything overstays its welcome, and it tells the story it needs to tell.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Re: Princess Jellyfish 10 released

Post by SacredCultivator »

All I can say is.. I came into this series knowing absolutely nothing about it.. and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The ending is just hilarious seeing Inari doing her imitation of Tsukimi. She must've had a fun time acting out her role.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Mmmm, I'm kinda ambivalent about this ending. Kinda wrapped up everything superficially in a neat bow without really hitting the meat of the issue. I'm happy that Tsukimi didn't really end up with either brother, but it wasn't a sound rejection of either, just a "maybe she will maybe she won't~".

My main problem here is Inari honestly. Fun character, lots of laughs, suuuuuuuuuuuuuper creepy at the end. I mean, if the genders had been reversed, it would've come off as harassment, but since she's a woman it's just laughed off. Felt a bit too skeevy to me, especially with Meijiro-sensei actually trying to keep Chieko-sho away from other men by basically locking her away.

However, Hanamori trying to climb up the slide and failing utterly was great. I could watch a clip of that all day.
Urukazuto
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Amazon
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Quote: Whatever

Post by Urukazuto »

I Really Enjoyed The Series. Thank you for your hard work TV Nihon Staff!

I hope there is Season 2 / movie where They continued Making Clothes and Kai Fish Debut as new Landlord.
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

That was really fun to watch. This is why I enjoy mostly watching Japanese dramas. It usually ends around 10-12 episodes. Unlike Hong Kong or Taiwanese dramas, which can stretch out to 40. Great characters, great actors/actresses, great story, great time spent.

Also, very cool to see Ryuta Sato in the Big Motor commercial.
futuresphere
Favorite series: Aoi Honoo

Post by futuresphere »

This show was pretty great all-through-out, I'm glad that I came in cold on a whim.

Thanks a bunch for subbing this.
hush
Dreamy: Kouga Saejima
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by hush »

Hmm, Kuranosuke was about as clear as Japanese storytelling gets that he loves Tsukimi.

I'm really OK with them being into each other, because they grow from each other, and because they are both emotionally invested in Jellyfish Designs. Plus, Kuranosuke isn't going to stick around. He's off to NYC to study and be serious about fashion. Meanwhile, Tsukimi is also going to focus on developing her ability. As first loves go, this one is really healthy, and not likely to end up with them together in the end. Maybe business partners. Maybe good friends. Maybe even fierce rivals some day. But this was a healthy development for them both.

What a good thing that Tsukimi rejected Shu's proposal! Unlike Kuranosuke, who really knew Tsukimi well, shared interests with her, and likes her quirkiness enthusiastically, Shu was more in love with the idea that he could be in love. He was going by the book the entire time, as if love is something that has a formula to it. He's a good guy, but not a deep one.

And he definitely doesn't deserve Inari obsessing over him. Nobody deserves that. Why do the Koibuchi parents keep inflicting her on him? Shu needs to learn about restraining orders.

Kuranosuke finally seeing his mom again was definitely the highlight. A broken little boy, indeed. Now that, thanks to his brother, the mother and child reunion has occurred, he has nothing to rebel against, and rebellion had become so much of his life. Instead, he now has an intact family, both biological and found, that gives him the courage to freely develop his interests in a positive way.

If there could be follow stories, that would be great. I'd love to see the Ama~s as they keep their quirkiness while joining society. Will there be wedding bells for Chieko? Or Banba and Hanamori? (I'd love to see them on a date at least. Please, someone make this happen!) Will Mayaya ever let her poor vocal cords rest?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick

Post by takenoko »

>What a good thing that Tsukimi rejected Shu's proposal!

As much as I like them as a couple, I guess I'd have to agree.

>And he definitely doesn't deserve Inari obsessing over him. Nobody deserves that. Why do the Koibuchi parents keep inflicting her on him? Shu needs to learn about restraining orders.

Hahaha, I know right? What a curse.

>Kuranosuke finally seeing his mom again was definitely the highlight.

I know they mention the part about how Rina couldn't stay with Kuranosuke's dad and his wife, but that didn't mean she had to leave the country. She could still have been a part of Kuranosuke's life in some capacity. It kind of feels like Kuranosuke's dad just paid her off and had her sent far away so he wouldn't have to deal with her.

>Or Banba and Hanamori?

I feel like the age difference would make me uncomfortable. Although I do like the way Banba bosses Hanamori around.

>Will Mayaya ever let her poor vocal cords rest?

That poor actress.
futuresphere
Favorite series: Aoi Honoo

Post by futuresphere »

So I started the anime because of your live sub, but I have only 2 eps left and hardly any of the Jellyfish fashion shows/Kai Fish elements have happened. Are they manga threads or something unique to this version?

I'm digging in anime, and there are a few approaches that are clearer there, but I think in these multi-format properties, the first version youre exposed to is usually your favorite.
hush
Dreamy: Kouga Saejima
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by hush »

futuresphere wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:07 am So I started the anime because of your live sub, but I have only 2 eps left and hardly any of the Jellyfish fashion shows/Kai Fish elements have happened. Are they manga threads or something unique to this version?

I'm digging in anime, and there are a few approaches that are clearer there, but I think in these multi-format properties, the first version youre exposed to is usually your favorite.
The anime and the movie only go up to the first fashion show. The manga ended in, um, I think October of last year, so the drama had a lot more material to cram into its run. Kai Fish, for example, is introduced after the first fashion show.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, sometimes anime or other live stuff (I think Jellyfish also had a movie?) will cover up to the point of where the manga is, but before the manga finishes. It's just one of those frustrating things about Japanese media. Sometimes the anime will just drop off or end suddenly and that's it, since there's no more material lol.

Return to “Princess Jellyfish”