Zi-O Promo released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Zi-O Promo released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Sooo... Decade/Den-O love child?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Zi-O Promo released

Post by Catastrophe »

Looks like they're putting both more effort into the crossovers and the plot this time at least.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I for one am still having PTSD from Decade. So this isn't exactly inspiring me with confidence. Plus, dedicating a whole season to nostalgia just seems lazy. :(
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

Is there really no other way to end the Heisei era than to do a double Den-O/Decade mash-up on a massive nostalgia hype train?

Though, the suits this time around look better than Decade. And at least he will get armor modification to resemble Legend Riders instead of just changing to their suit like Decade.

Fingers crossed the plot and writing makes more sense than Decade.

I kinda want Decade to drop by for an episode or two and fight Zi-Oh. Would be cool to watch. So if Zi-Oh can go into Decade mode can he then transform into other Riders ala Decade style as well? :P
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
LiLAsN
Gao

Post by LiLAsN »

Did you guys notice that there were only 18 watches on the 5:04 second mark of the video. And of all the Riders, it was Decade's that is missing.

Hopefully this could mean Decade has a bigger role to play in this Kamen Rider ZiO series as Decade's was just too short of a series to begin with. And what better way to compensate it by having more Decade. :D

Decade could either be guiding him or become a straight up rival too at the same time.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I kind of have mixed feelings about the armor thing versus just using the original suit with the Decade Driver slapped onto it. On one hand, I like the original suits and it's pretty fun to see them appear again. On the other, even if derivative, it makes more sense for the power-ups to be something unique to Zi-O... except...

We live in a post-Decade world. Instead of putting Decade and Double into a blender and getting Double Decade, we're more getting Decade's younger brother who has twice as many Riders to deal with. It's additive in numbers, but not in originality. The fact that everyone's knee jerk reaction to all this is "Hey, here's how it's like this or that Rider" isn't a great sign, since one of the weaknesses of Decade was that it cashes in on nostalgia but wasn't really strong as its own thing. And if you want the story/characters to be compelling, Decade and Double Decade need to be able to stand on their own two feet.

I mean, Inoue Masahiro is still alive. Instead of smashing our Decade and Den-O together like a Reese's peanut butter cup commercial, why not just bring Decade back? The power-up progression is already there, if we're going to capitalize on nostalgia, at least bring back the original plot/character that did it instead of having a copy of a copy and having it more the derivative for it. It'd also be a chance to redeem Decade and maybe clean up his story, maybe invite old characters to resolve their storylines, it could be amazing if done right.

I'm sure Zi-O will be fun and entertaining too, but is anyone else worried that the promo doesn't talk about his plot/conflict/antagonist in very much depth? Instead, this time traveler from the future is Zi-O's rival... buuuut why exactly?

Edit:
LiLAsN wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:05 am Did you guys notice that there were only 18 watches on the 5:04 second mark of the video. And of all the Riders, it was Decade's that is missing.
No, I totally missed that. That would make sense since Decade's power wouldn't make sense in this context.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

takenoko wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:25 am Edit:
LiLAsN wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:05 am Did you guys notice that there were only 18 watches on the 5:04 second mark of the video. And of all the Riders, it was Decade's that is missing.
No, I totally missed that. That would make sense since Decade's power wouldn't make sense in this context.
It'll be crazy if Decade's serves as some power up item. Enables Zi-O to do Final Kamen Rides perhaps?
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I think the reason Decade didn't work was because they ended up using AUs for everything and it wasn't the nostalgia trip we were all hoping for.

I want to believe that Toei has learned from Gokaiger, and they'll put in more effort into the crossovers. Sento/Banjou and Emu/Hiro being in the promos is a good sign that they will actually try to use older actors from previous series.

In saying that, it is correct to say the concepts are lazy. Time travelling was done before, and so was the previous riders thing. I wish they didn't bother to do Decade 2.0 as a final for the Heisei era, but that is how the past 2 decades of Riders have been defined so hopefully they go out with a bang.

I imagine Decade will turn up in person as well.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I really hope that Zi-O has his own villains instead relying of old villains like Decade did. I don't mind if the series uses old villains but they should team up with any original villains that Zi-O may have.

I'm pretty the Decade watch doesn't exist since W would take up the 2009 slot. Speaking of W, Zi-O shouldn't be Double Decade but W Decade instead.

I'm interested in the distorted version of Build that Zi-O fights with the sword.

I really hope that Zi-O's Natsumi is better than the original Natsumi from Decade.

I'm going to call that the Timemaziin is the love child of AutoVajin and DenLiner.
HarryFA1
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
My boom: GAIM
Quote: "This is OUR stage now!" - Kouta Kazuraba, Kamen Rider Gaim

Post by HarryFA1 »

I'll be surprised if they're able to consistently get any of the actors pre-Drive, especially guys like Sota Fukushi or Masaki Suda.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Given the last movie, I don't think they'll have any issue getting any of the post Decade Riders back cost permitting with the exception of Suda.

If they go back pre Decade it might be a bit trickier.
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

So this may just well be the second half of Decade lol!, Zi-O is basically using the "Riders-as-Armors gimmick" that Gaim/Drive already did in their movie, also people noticing the absence of Decade's watch is probably the only interesting thing i see here as well, i wonder if there's a cool story there, Decade was originally supposed destroy all the AR worlds riders to get their powers so i guess this doesn't sit well with Zi-O's who gets the other riders powers as well via time travel, and i would love to see Inoue Masahiro come back as Decade, in all it's evil glory, who eventually became the destroyer that he was meant to be, destroyer vs savior scenario would be awesome, also, Inoue's killing it on Garo, he's pretty much the coolest bad guy i ever saw, personally, he looks so much better than the hero lol! :)
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Because Shimoyama Kento write this series, so I felt many similar things from Ninninger transfer to Zi-O, so just wait some first few episodes, to see how he improve his writing skill, or just another trash like Ninninger: boring villain, boring story and least favorite character.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... okay first off, some bias establishing, I liked Decade over all in part because they were AUs of the Riders and could try different things with the settings. t didn't work for a lot of it and the fact that they likely re and re-wrote the movie so the cliffhanger trailer was mostly a misdirect was annoying but there were enough awesome moments through out that on the whole I enjoyed Decade as a celebration of ten years of Heisei Riders. That out of the way, my impressions of Zi-o with this promo.

... yea in motion the watchstrap motif on his suit still annoys me even in motion, it had annoyed me since the first scans which, is regrettable. I am unsure what to think about our main characters so far because well, more time was devoted to the gimmick and collectables then to establish what kind of person this 18 year old with a destiny to rule all Riders is, or if Geiz will have any personality other than Terminator but a Rider, or if time travel girl will be more or less than just Grail-I mean the Golden Fruit girl, from Gaim, just more screen time. Like I know the series is about selling toys but, do we need time to talk about yet another sword that turns into a gun? That's so bog standard with Kamen Rider that seems as much like a feature as rear windshield wipers... also what was he shooting at in that scene? Or is that an effect to be added later?

And then comes the armor gimmick... I don't have so much an issue of using armor themed around the Riders, so much as when showing it off, he seemed to be fighting the Cat Greeed, Virgo, and a high ranking Fangire which, makes me worry that for the mooks they will be using the suits of iconic enemy generals... and I am not crazy bout that idea. Though looking at the Build Armor I do have to wonder is, it a spoiler that the main two Build characters are still alive at the end of their series to hand over the plot device to our hero, and that he seemingly met Zi-o in the past? ... Also wait so does that, mean that a year ago the events of Build happened? Man I must have missed the news reports about the giant wall dividing Japan into sections. Can't wait for him to go so far into the past we get to that time a meteor hit the planet putting shapeshifting aliens in our population.

I realize I am laying down a lot but this is what my brain mulls over both when I was watching the trailer a few times over, and as I type things out. As for Decade's watch face not appearing *looks at the toy scans* ... I think it's more likely that the Decade watch might be a part way through upgrade armor that might pull out more power from the other heisei watch faces.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

So, is there any logical reason why Toei decided to translate "ゲイツ" as "Geiz" and not "Gates" (as in "time gates")?

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”