KR Zi-O 01 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:29 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆☆
34%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
6%
14%

Total votes: 35
LiLAsN
Gao

Re: KR Zi-O 01 released

Post by LiLAsN »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:33 am
LiLAsN wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm All in all, the intro music is nice. However the hindu music feels out of place for a battle soundtrack. Doesn't feel 'epic' as was intended. Doesn't blend well with the fight scene.
I feel sad though. This is the year 2018 and going forwards, the same video will be archived mostly for future viewers as well and not just current viewers. However, the video is so heavily compressed on an encoding level that no MadVR upscaling software and even my 4K OLED upscaling can help upscale an already pixelated video at the source level. Look at the scene of the rooftops at 8:20, the snapshot that someone took at the 00:17 mark, as well as the transformation scene at 19:47. The video looks too soft in both instances even though it was encoded at 1080p while the rooftop scene is inhabiting the weird 'netting' effect that was only seen in the DVD era days such as the DVD of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban where the field of grass scene in the beginning will show the same netting effect not seen in actual 1080p blu-ray.

The higher the bitrate such as the other source video that I got it from was only 720p sadly. However, the high bitrate makes up for the lower resolution. Similarly, some 4K movie sources that are encoded below 20GB exhibits softer video overall with lesser details surprisingly than a 1080p Blu-ray source due to the high bitrate that I have had compared to before as well.

But this is just my personal feedback. Still love the animation subtitle effects you guys put in the video. It just blends so well with the video. And that is why I use them for archiving. But there has been no improvement of video source encoding over the years. The loss of detail will get quite noticeable as TV size gets bigger as well as resolution increases. Just my 2 cents. Hope it leads to an improvement.

Here's the comparison between the 1080p T-N source (has TV station watermark) vs a high bitrate 720p source.
So I admittedly had to read this a couple of times before I could completely grok it, especially with the stream-of-consciousness style writing (I'm guessing you're not a native English speaker?). But the screenshots were a big help, and now I can see what you're talking about.

Takenoko & co can talk a lot more about the capping and encoding process. But you're definitely on to something. There's a rather significant difference in image sharpness between those images.

On paper, the bitrate TV-N uses here should be adequate. It could arguably stand to be a bit higher, but with a high quality encoder (e.g. x264 in Slow mode), that should be a reasonable bitrate to work with.

My gut feeling then is that the difference is due to the source rather than the TV-N encode process. That the image was already soft before TV-N even gets it. And this gets into Japanese broadcast specifics that I'm not really familiar with; particularly why your second copy doesn't have the TV Asahi watermark. Is KR rebroadcast later on without that water mark? Or is Toei offering digital downloads? I'm very curious where that raw came from, as that would probably explain what's going on.

As for the Edo lot roof, that's not a matter of bitrate but rather it's a moire pattern. Typically it's a sign of either a bad scaler or a bad deinterlacer. The 1080p encode doesn't need scaled, so that should rule out the former and point to the latter. I'm assuming KR is being broadcast in 1080i, so it needs IVTC'd back to 24fps. But something seems like it was thrown for a loop there. In either case, if it is a deinterlacing problem, then there's a good chance the root cause can be fixed.

Overall though if these screenshots are accurate, then there's definitely room for improvement in the processing chain.
ViRGE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 am
takenoko wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:41 am Appreciated.:) I think first and foremost we need comparable frames taken from the master recording to compare to LiLAsN's screenshots. Along with info about where LiLAsN's raw came from. That way we could at least isolate the matter to being a source problem or an encode problem.
Appreciated.:) I think first and foremost we need comparable frames taken from the master recording to compare to LiLAsN's screenshots. Along with info about where LiLAsN's raw came from. That way we could at least isolate the matter to being a source problem or an encode problem.
Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. Was slightly sick earlier and was finishing writing my post on separate occasions. Thus, my post may seem a bit confusing. My bad.

The source footage was sourced by another fansubbing group called Over-Time that will release the 720p RAWs under the name [THISFILEHASNOSUBS] and then finish the subtitling within less than 24 hours from the RAW release. For example, the last episode of Build's RAW was released at 2018-08-26 12:10pm. On the same Sunday at 15:55pm (3-4 hours later), they released the file with their subtitles on it. So they are more of a speed subbing group which I only got to find out as I was too eager to watch the last few episodes of the series as fast as I can as it was getting too exciting.

You can find the source of the RAW and subs at Nyaa.si by just typing Kamen Rider in the search and letting the search be arranged by Date (descending order from the latest uploads)

As you can see from my pictures, the video has been upscaled by MadVR to suit a 1440p monitor resolution thus even the mp4 file that T-N uploaded may look slightly better than original (though not by much due to blurry edges and pixelation during action-heavy scenes). You can use this and compare the RAWs with the 1080i TS raws that T-N got from. But I am not surprised. If you check 1080i's pixel count, it is actually lesser than a 720p video due to how interlacing works.

As you can see from the screenshot of the gold Zi-O, they have also subbed the words written on the monument of his first Henshin which was missing from T-N's version when I rewatched it again using the T-N's video that they just released.

Oh yes! I forgot to mention, there is an episode 1.5 titled Kamen Rider Zi-O Hokan Keikaku. The source can once again be found at nyaa.si from [THISFILEHASNOSUBS] which is Over-time's RAW.

Also, I do have a .ts TV recording source that has a weird resolution of 1440x1080p. The file title is in Japanese and is 3.61 GB. At the rooftop scene, the source does exhibit the moire pattern similar to T-N's and has blurry edges. And you are right. Based on this TV recording source, the video was just as pixelated during the transformation scene due to interlacing artifacts.

Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Snarkwing wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:12 amAnd you certainly have not gotten that from this writer/Producer team, as we've seen before where they demonize those trying to inflict change or reality onto a protagonist, and glorify their preferred hero over their seniors No matter how awfully they need to write that senior to do so. See: the Taisen films or Kento Shimoyama's various penned 'teamups'.
Shimoyama didn't write the Taisen teamups, though? Shirakura worked as Producer on them so you were right there but the Taisens were written by Shoji Yonemura.

The Sentai teamups Shimoyama has written are:
Goseiger vs Shinkenger
Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters vs Doubtsu Sentai Go-Busters
And Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters.
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

takenoko wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:41 am
stardrago wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:16 pm Say, is the 1.5 special to be released separately? Also, isn't it supposed to be Ziku-Driver and Zikan Girade as seen at the tv-asahi pages?

I went with the audio pronunciation for the items since changing all the ji to zi seemed like it would be confusing and unnecessary. Maybe somewhere down the line they'll show the names spelled out, but they didn't in episode 1.

But in a tv add earlier had already shown the official name for Ziku-Driver and the physical box cover for the item as well.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Someone post the Burning Fucking Magma image.
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

Good first episode.

LOVE the intro theme. Better than Be The One for sure.

Suguo seems.. a little bland.

This... seems like a better Decade. I hope.
NOMarfo
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I liked the character Woz, but they forgot an important accessory: a creepy cat hand puppet named Belzeneff. He should also never be allowed to be in direct sunlight.

There seemed to be a huge Ghost-like plot discontinuity: When Sento wakes up in new Earth he has a Zi-O watch but doesn't think anything about it. Then, he meets Zi-O in old Earth. What was the point of having Sento get a watch in new Earth if Zi-O never goes there?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Catastrophe wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 am Someone post the Burning Fucking Magma image.
I'll do you one better.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Just wait until ep 10 to see how the story progress, if not good, it is Kento's fault, since after 3 years of Ninninger he cannot improve anything in character's personality and logic plot in story.

Chief producer of this show still is Sasaki Motoi from TV Asahi (Ex-Aid, Build, Kyuranger, Lupin VS Pat), but sub-producers from Toei are Shirakura Shinichiro and Takebe Naomi. Since Shimoyama Kento works with Naomi in Ninninger, it is not surprise to put him in main writers of Zi-O.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:04 pm
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 am Someone post the Burning Fucking Magma image.
I'll do you one better.
1) WebP doesn't work on most browsers
2) WTF?
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

LiLAsN wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:14 am
ViRGE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:33 am quotes
ViRGE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 am quotes
The source footage was sourced by another fansubbing group called Over-Time...
Based on this Twitter thread, O-T's raws are from online streams.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

kangchan wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 pm Just wait until ep 10 to see how the story progress, if not good, it is Kento's fault, since after 3 years of Ninninger he cannot improve anything in character's personality and logic plot in story.
The writer wrote NINNINGER?

OK, now I'm scared. Please don't be Ghost.
NOMarfo
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by nanamarfo »

Catastrophe wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 pm Felt more rushed than normal. They should have left the Build stuff for next episode. It looks like they did this episode without knowing what builds ending was, as when they go back to 2017, there is a Sky Wall.
No, Bulid had the Skywall at that point. I don't think Sento even had sparkling at that point.
NOMarfo
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Builds ending completely rewrote the timeline so the Skywall never existed.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah, they shouldn't even be transformed then, cause the Build Driver was based off of Evolt's Driver. Essentially, all of Build was overwritten.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Unless they explain that they can jump to different dimensions as well, which would make sense.

I still don't know why they just had to use the time travel theme again. Almost makes the Den Liner as a concept completely useless.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”