Getting Into Kamen Rider (A Few Questions)

For the Riders we have not graced with our touch...yet
Myrodis19
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Decade
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Getting Into Kamen Rider (A Few Questions)

Post by Myrodis19 »

I have posted here years ago when i was contemplating getting into the fandom. I was introduced to the fandom with Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, from there i went to Kamen Rider Decade (My only finished series). I finished the main show, but no movies. Which brings me to my first question.

1. How do the movies work? (Every-time i try to get into a series or think about getting into a series the movies stop me. They make me feel as if i have to watch the previous series and such.)
2. Which movies are canon? (Aka which do i have to watch and which can i skip. I would only skip them if they include crossovers with other series i do not know.)
3. There are three series i have on my mind as is to start with. Build, Ghost, and Fourze. Which would be a better start for a complete series watch?

Also any other info and such would be great. If there is a current thread or video where this sort of thing is gone through then pplease do link me.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Getting Into Kamen Rider (A Few Questions)

Post by Lunagel »

1) Who really knows? Generally the movies aren't written by the main writer for the series and only tie in very loosely into the canon, if at all. You can honestly skip pretty much every Versus Rider movie without losing much. The movies are pretty much only a cash grab so it's best not to take them too seriously.
2) Anything not a Versus is usually canon. (Though you could argue for hours about what is and isn't)
3) Fourze, definitely. Build's decent but not outstanding. Do not watch Ghost, it was an absolute clusterfuck.
Myrodis19
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Myrodis19 »

Lunagel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:28 pm 1) Who really knows? Generally the movies aren't written by the main writer for the series and only tie in very loosely into the canon, if at all. You can honestly skip pretty much every Versus Rider movie without losing much. The movies are pretty much only a cash grab so it's best not to take them too seriously.
2) Anything not a Versus is usually canon. (Though you could argue for hours about what is and isn't)
3) Fourze, definitely. Build's decent but not outstanding. Do not watch Ghost, it was an absolute clusterfuck.
So when it comes to the movies i can skip the VS movies and just watch the named movies for said series? Can i skip the war movies? I see Decade and a few other series have them.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah the Rider War movies are all Versus, they're not usually canon to the main plot. Sometimes they can be interesting but usually they're a bit of a slog anyway so you're not missing much by skipping them.
Myrodis19
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Myrodis19 »

Lunagel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:36 pm Yeah the Rider War movies are all Versus, they're not usually canon to the main plot. Sometimes they can be interesting but usually they're a bit of a slog anyway so you're not missing much by skipping them.
Alright, thank you. Now that i know that i dont need to watch the VS or War movies watching series will be easier for me.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Honestly, Gaim is probably the best Heisei Rider series. It's got a tight, well thought out plot, great characters, good episode balance, and doesn't require watching the movies.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Good post Decade series to watch are W, Fourze and Gaim. Everything other than that typically comes down to personal preference. Wizard is kind of bland. Ghost is shit and isn't worth watching at all.

Pre-Decade is a little harder to pick, as there are a lot more hit and miss seasons. Kabuto is worth watching for sure though.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

The W parts of Movie Wars 2010 and Core actually gives backstory on Kamen Rider Skull which you should watch.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Core and Megamax are pretty good movies. The crossover ones don't really have that much bearing on the stories and can be skipped if they are rubbish.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I usually like telling people to just watch the series in order. I think the early Heisei stuff tends to be a bit stronger storywise.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Also true. The issue you get front loading with the better stuff is watching other series is more of a slog.

Return to “Kamen Rider”