KyuuRanger VS Space Squad released

SPACE SQUADRON KITAAA!!!
Forum rules

Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger Wiki Link

< Jyuohger | KyuuRanger | Lupin VS Pat

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
42%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
No votes
8%

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KyuuRanger VS Space Squad released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki

Alright for KyuuRanger. Kind of obvious someone at Toei had recently watched Marvel's Civil War when they came up with this storyline. It sorta works for KyuuRanger, since the only real good way of using such a ridiculous number of heroes is to have them fight amongst themselves. Too bad they didn't also take the lesson that if you do that, the heroes should be fighting over some philosophical difference, and not just because they got tricked by the bad guy and there's no real moral dilemma.

After complaining for a year about the lack of Hame content, it's kind of nice to get some. It's not all great, but some of it is pretty decent and it's a heck of a lot more than we had during the actual show. Having Mele act as a big sister green chameleon character was awesome as well. Speaking of which...

It's so good to see Mele's actress back! When she gets brainwashed in the beginning I was worried that she'd be a shallow shadow of her former self, but she snaps out of it quickly and has steals some great scenes for it. The other three revived villains on the other hand...

All the revived villains look great, but after spouting a few lines, Juuzou, Basco, and Escape sort of just become grunts. Which is too bad considering they brought back some choice villains. At least Escape had some great fight scenes in her.

Speaking of great fight scenes, loved almost all the fights Raptor did in this. It doesn't make up for her being benched most of the year, and... it sort of makes me mad because seeing her potential here is upsetting to think of all that squandered potential in the TV series.

Man, I did not recognize Daimon Rinko or BoukenSilver's actors in this at all. When I looked it up, I thought it was Rinko's body double or something, at first.

The KyuuRanger themselves felt like they brought their B+ game. Catchphrases were at a minimum, nothing too annoying happened, everyone sorta did something. They just suffer since there's too many of them and at times, a lot of them feel superfluous. At least during the Civil War scene, the battles were kind of smart since it forced characters who had previous relations against each other.

I don't remember his Space Sheriff name, so Iwanaga being a weirdo pervert really threw me off, especially since I didn't watch the Space Sheriff spinoff movies. Is that really the best characterization we can give Mr. Beefcake?

Overall, it sort of feels like this was the KyuuRanger returns movie with Space Squad/Sheriff shit smushed into it. The Space Sheriffs didn't really contribute that much, and with such a large cast, maybe that time would have been better spent just focusing on the KyuuRangers themselves? The reason I think this is because the premise of Space Squad revisiting past rangers was very potent to me. And seeing them just pop in as guests in the secret KyuuRanger returns movie seems like another example of squandered potential.

I had a good time and it's nice to see the KyuuRangers in one of their better movies. 4/5
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: KyuuRanger VS Space Squad released

Post by takenoko »

Is that Takayama Yuuko doing a double role as Garou's cat girl? Also, wtf, Garou reproduced?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Oh man this was a slog to get through. Not horrible but man I have not missed these guys. As takenoko said, it's basically Marvel's Civil War (right down to the big fight in the airport/parking lot?). Really nice to see all those veteran actors again but maaaaaaaaaaaan were they wasted here and just ended up reminding me of much better series.

MELE MY QUEEN!!!

I swear to god my jaw literally dropped when I saw the Garou baby/plushie. WTF. Why was his wife a dog girl? What kind of species is this? Do I need to pull out that Oglaf comic?

I really hate the "whoops tricked by the enemy and couldn't be arsed to tell everyone so we could make a plan" trope and Toei abuses it a hell of a lot so for me this was just irritating to watch.

HOLY SHIT LUKA DAMN GIRL WHY YOU IN THIS SHIT MOVIE COME BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKKKKKKK
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I thought Garou's wife was a cat girl. Garou's the last of his species so I don't think this is a "the female of the species is just a human with weird ears or something".

Luka's here 'cause voice of Raptor.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

This is alright. The use of Civil War is good enough. Drama's decent.

As for movie 3, Masashi Taniguchi seems active enough to come back as GoBlue. I'm wondering who's gonna be the actors/actresses playing Winspector, the Sols and the Drafts.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Painful. There wasn't really anything that redeemed the series for me and Deka did the Space Sheriff crossover better.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

That was a really great movie. Toei's been doing great with movies lately. Although the Metal Heroes were pointless, they should have just had the balls to call it Episode of Hammie. I own the movie on Blu-Ray so I might watch the making of later.

(Also, wouldn't it make more sense here to translate Uchuu as "universe", given they're literally talking about parallel universes? You wouldn't describe Narnia as being in another galaxy.)
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Maybe. I guess I'm just used to translating uchuu as galaxy in the KyuuRanger context.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

I love how they had Mao Ichimichi do both Raptor and Luka at the end there as a fun little easter egg. Maybe we'll get a Gokaiger 10 years after movie after all x3
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

Nice! Now that we have this is there any chance of the other two Space Squad movies being subbed?
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

I still don't see the appeal of Gavan. Luckily for me he had minimal screentime and basically contributed nothing at all to this movie.

The plot was painful to watch. As a viewer, there's literally no way for them to convince me that Hame actually turned evil. So Lucky, in his usual annoyingly loud self, actually made a lot of sense. I feel like a lot of the movie was just waiting for the reveal of why Hame was working with Demost. From there it all wrapped up rather briskly. I guess I just wanted a bit more out of the movie. It was nice to see the returning villains but they didn't have much purpose outside of Mele. Would anything have really changed if they used other monster costumes? To me, if you're going to go through the trouble of bringing back the actors, you should go the extra mile and make sure there's a reason for them to be there.

Also didn't we already get a variation of this plot where they tried to make us believe a hero turned evil in the last space squad movie? These movies are going to last another decade at the rate they're going.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hmm, what was the plot of the last space squad movie?

I actually thought Tsurugi made more sense than Lucky. Yeah, Hame obviously didn't turn evil, but they still need to bring her in and find out what's going on. It's not like Tsurugi ordered them to take Hame out.

It's nice that Lucky and friends believed that Hame had her reasons, but what exactly was their plan? To just let Hame keep going with her criminal activities unchecked?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

fartboy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 pm Nice! Now that we have this is there any chance of the other two Space Squad movies being subbed?
You mean the ones they subbed back when they came out?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

Oh my mistake, I was thinking of deka ten years after. Situations aren't really the same, but they definitely did the believe in your comrades plot better.

You're definitely right that tsurugi has to stop hame. But at the same time, going directly to proclaiming she's a felon to the entire galaxy is a bit much. There was plenty of mind control and body snatching in kyuranger, not to mention everyone that cooperated Don armage for one reason or another. It's not hard to conclude that there are some larger forces in play. To me, it's odd that they wouldn't give her the benefit of the doubt and try to get to her without causing a large incident.

Oh well, at least we got some nice scenes with mele out of this movie. It probably speaks more about the quality of writing when the cameo guest character contributes more than the main cast.

Also Lucky you're a king now. You should be helping your people, not galavanting around the galaxy, or joining space squads led by insufferable hot heads part of agencies with questionable morals.
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

It was a good movie. Predictable overall plot, but it worked thanks to the relationships between the Kyurangers that they were able to draw from. It gives the idea of a civil war more tension in the midst of confusion when you have people who actually cared about each other on opposite sides.

Some great trademark Koichi Sakamoto action. I remember watching an interview of him and Hammie/Sakurako Okubo where they talk about how he gives her a lot more action scenes in the movie so it was fun seeing lots of that.

My biggest, maybe only real disappointment was not seeing Ronpo morphed at all and not part of the final roll call/battle.

I totally forgot Iwanaga was nuShaider. And it was nice to see Yuko Takayama/Rinko too. Of course, it was fun seeing Juzo, Escape and Basco again, even if as glorified cameos. And even not having watched Gekiranger, I still felt all the Mele-Hammie scenes. Those were really good.

Return to “Uchuu Sentai KyuuRanger”