KR Zi-O 05 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:02 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆☆☆
27%
☆☆☆
45%
☆☆
9%
18%

Total votes: 22
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 05 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 2.68 / 5 (19 votes)

Alt Title: We couldn't afford Gentarou's actor for an episode

That was alright. I still don't feel like I know the main characters very well. They just move from story beat to story beat without really doing anything interesting except fighting. Oh wait, there was that "hilarious" scene of Sougo falling down the stairs. I bet some 2 year olds laughed at that.

The Timejackers are stealing the show. They're only on the screen a little bit, but they make the most of it. Woz, Uhr, Ora, and Schwartz are all way more human than the main three.

I can't believe Oosugi has a picture of Sonoda in his treasure box. Too bad she disappears after her defeat and gets no epilogue.

The problem with lazy nostalgia is that they'll show you things like Amanogawa School, the uniforms, the hints of stuff you do like, and don't bother to hit on the things you liked about them in the first place.

The writing and acting is passable here, but they're still not really doing things that are fun or interesting. We get glimpses of Kusaka and Takumi and Fourze becoming Faiz is a welcome surprise, but the show itself doesn't care about the missing girls as anything other than a way to move to another fight scene.

I'm hoping now that Takumi and Kusaka are revealed that we'll get some juicy drama/acting between the two.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: KR Zi-O 05 released

Post by DaVinci030 »

If it's 2018, wasn't it supposed to be New Amanogawa High School in Fourze's epilogue?

Edit: And also Space Kamen Rider Club?

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did enjoy the Fourze armor, since it's a Transformer.

Oh, but now I'm remembering the badly animated missiles. Man, every good point in this series is such a mixed bag.

Edit:
Do you guys think it means anything that the sign behind the uncle is written backwards? It's not like we're seeing the opposite side of a window or something, the kanji are facing the correct way, it's just ordered backwards.

It's hard not to nitpick at the writing. They tell you three times to pay attention to the word "shooting star", but there's no pay off for it in this episode. And the over exposition is kind of painful sometimes.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I guess Toei didn't expect anyone to go frame by frame because there's amusingly a Yuuki during the intro that is easily visible if one goes to do so.

Also, there's a CM during this episode promoting Da Pump's new song called "USA". I've seen nothing official but, there's been talk about it being the reason why Toei went with ISSA for the OP duet (them wanting to jump on his popularity bounce) rather than TM Revolution. Un?-fortunately, some of the early toy flyers still had "Sueyoshi and TM Revolution" listed for the singers and later had to correct themselves and put "Sueyoshi and ISSA". Whoops!
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Jacker #3 makes his debut. Looks like he’s not kidding around. He’s made a tough MOTW!!

Sougo really wants to be friends with Geiz, eh? If only Gentarou helped them…

So to find any potential Another Riders, the time travelers have to find around the net/around the city strange incidents, investigate said incidents and hope to find the culprit. OK.

We meet the 2018 roster of the Kamen Rider Club and Chuta-san. How heartwarming that the production staff kept pictures of the 2011 roster.

So now Woz decides to protect his Demon King BEFORE the king changes costumes. Yeah, Woz IS the contingency unit.

So, what does the girl have in common with the MOTW?? And why is-

Faiz and Kaixa better explain themselves next week!! Ok episode.

One more thing: the evolving credits featuring all the Jackers facing the 4th wall... There better be retake for #3 because that’s an easy meme and unbecoming of his stoic persona.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So if the events of Fourze were erased, shouldn't that mean that there isn't a Kamen Rider Club? Sure, Gentarou would have gone to the school and still made friends with everyone, but the KRC was formed because Tomoko saw Gentarou as Fourze.

I liked the line about the Shooting Star. Sure, you're probably supposed to think it's talking about Ryusei (Meteor), but in Faiz the school that Kusaka and the others went to was called the Ryusei School, so Woz was probably talking about Takumi and Kusaka the whole time.

I also forgot how cool the Amanogawa uniforms looked. That shade of blue is sweet.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Personally I'm of the opinion that they just shouldn't have shown Fourze or Gentarou at all. It's obvious that's not the actual actor, and those movements he makes just don't look the same.

Oh so I figured it out. The conversation between the victim of the week and the time jacker was very strange. But now I get it. He already made a contract 10 years prior, and became Another Faiz. Then in 2011, his power was running out, and he knew what the time jacker was on about because he's been through it before. So he made another contract, and now he is both Another Fourze as wel as Another Faiz.

Idk maybe it's obvious but for me it took a while to click.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

That was the best episode yet, and not just because it's Fourze. It was the first one that felt like a proper tribute, paying loving homage to the show. Build was ruined by huge plotholes, Ex-Aid just felt bland, with no substance. This really went for it. They explained why we can't see Gentarou in the modern day too. Wanna bet the student they mention he's gone after is Rumi, the girl Kasumi played in Ultimatum, hence her absence here? We even got Hayabusa-kun.

Also Yuki in one of the photos we see. That's more than I ever expected.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

You can also tell its a Sakamoto directed episode on account of the explosions after the Fourze Armor.

Not that its a bad thing.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:41 amWanna bet the student they mention he's gone after is Rumi, the girl Kasumi played in Ultimatum, hence her absence here? We even got Hayabusa-kun.
Sadly, we get to see one of the flyers he's handing out, and it's for a girl named Hoshino Ama-something. Rumi or any of the girls from that movie would have made a lot of sense, since those other club members are there, but I guess they weren't able to get them. As far as I know, Hoshino is just some random other girl.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

The new Another Rider should have been called Ninez but had Fourz powers. Then when Ninez is defeated he becomes Faiz. And when Faiz is defeated he become 000's.

This crap is starting to grow on me. Tsukuyomi is no Natsumikan but she does have her own styling thing going on. If they are going to use pre-hensei riders then they can bring back the ultra-rider and have an excuse to combine the time machines into a megazord. Since Vince Russo is writing this show, more time jackers should appear since Uhr and Ora aren't getting the job done and Uhr and Ora turn baby face when what's his name lead character offers to let them kill him if he turns heel. The five of them form the Plot Hole Sentai TimeTravel-gers. What's his name - oblivious Red, Geiz - moody Blue, Tsukuyomi - earnest White, Ora - composed Pink, Uhr - childish Green.
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:02 pm The problem with lazy nostalgia is that they'll show you things like Amanogawa School, the uniforms, the hints of stuff you do like, and don't bother to hit on the things you liked about them in the first place.

For those that DID like it, you mean. I honestly hated every second of Gentarou's existence and I was dreading Zi-O retreading the series. Mercifully it seems they cut it short and are going straight into Faiz.....

Overall this episode was just flat. We didn't even get a flashback to Miu's most excellent legs, which were the only reason I really kept watching Fourze. I do agree that the TimeJackers are the most interesting part of the show so far. I'm usually more positive and try to enjoy what I'm given regardless, but Zi-O just isn't living up to expectations and is likely going to join Toqger, Jyuohger, Go-Busters, Kyuuranger, Den-O, Fourze and Ghost in the pile of "crap shows I'll never watch again".
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Shrugs. To each their own.

I just liked Fourze because, while it was a simpler story, the characters were all fun and it hit the story beats that it tried to accomplish. It felt sort of like a good sentai series that way.

Build and Ex-Aid were both ambitious, but because of that, they felt like they overextended their reach, so when they don't hit the story/emotional/character beats that they need to, it really stands out. I dunno, maybe it's just how Toei shows are going to be made from here on since they've got to focus on merchandising and saving money? It just feels like it really affects the quality of their storytelling, which is unfortunate.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:54 am
HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:41 amWanna bet the student they mention he's gone after is Rumi, the girl Kasumi played in Ultimatum, hence her absence here? We even got Hayabusa-kun.
Sadly, we get to see one of the flyers he's handing out, and it's for a girl named Hoshino Ama-something. Rumi or any of the girls from that movie would have made a lot of sense, since those other club members are there, but I guess they weren't able to get them. As far as I know, Hoshino is just some random other girl.
Oh yeah, I remember that now, Hoshino was one of the other girls that went missing because of Another Fourze, wasn't she? I assume Rumi's not there because Kasumi's one of the most successful sentai actors in recent years and is much too busy to come back for that.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
nanamarfo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Yuki Jojima
Favorite Band: RIDER CHIPS
Quote: "My life is burning bright!" -Takeru Tenkuji

Post by nanamarfo »

Takumi, WHY are you alive?

This was a good episode. Though the Fourze callback felt rushed.
NOMarfo

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”