☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 9
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Re: Kami no Kiba Jinga 00 released

Post by TokuCasual »

Masterful comeback. That was among the stronger opener to the franchise for me. Everything about it just clicks with me. From characters introduction, world setups, directing and cinematography. It just works.

Of course, the action and CGI are nicely done as well. An easy 5 for me. Oh, and Fuusa is the cutest Makai Priest. Useful as well I might add.

Another season of my fav toku, I'm back on board.
HyouRetsuzan
Adventure

Post by HyouRetsuzan »

Dragonfan wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 am I don't really understand your question, or maybe there are two questions mixed. Bronze Makai knights are just Makai knights who have not inherited an armor. As far as we know, there's no evolving, but they are made of soul metal, so it is possible if the knight is strong enought.

And they pop out from Makai.
i mean each protagonist has unique makai armor and then we saw bronze/nameless makai knights on makai senki. that brings the question, do all makai armors starts from bronze/nameless or from the start its already unique, ex: golden knight garo, etc. those armors that has titles you know. if they start from nameless, do they need undergo some sort of ritual or test to evolve/determine their titles? ex: nameless>test/ritual>passes>gain title golden knight. and to tie in with jinga, since his armor closely resemble his former, past life horror form, surely he inherited the armor from his father, mikage mizuto, as most makai knights do, then how come their family lineage armor, roze could resemble jinga past horror form?
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

takenoko wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm
Fat D wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 pmI actually thought about this since some of the characters seemed to pronounce Jinga a bit like Zinga. Maybe Asian languages show us something there; how close phonemes that we do not really think of as 'alike' can really be. R and L is the most famous example, but maybe Z/J are not that far behind.
Hmmm, I really don't hear the J/Z thing. I always feel like that's more of a legacy of old English romanization standards.
Rewatched it at my PC now, and I did not hear it anymore either. Might have been the mediocre earphones I was watching it on. I have heard "chinga" and "tsinga", but no clear "zinga"s. Back with the other headphones, I had a feeling that the new Priest whatshername used "Zinga" quite often, but on speakers, it is more of a "Tsinga" to me.

Yes, old romanizations use the Z=J a lot, but it has to come from somewhere. Mandarin/Pinyin uses zh for a sound somewhere between "j" and "ch", but with a different tongue position than either.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

So that's why it sounds "Jyuranger" but it is written "Zyuranger"?
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate

Post by Fat D »

Dragonfan wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:18 am So that's why it sounds "Jyuranger" but it is written "Zyuranger"?
And Zi-O, Time Mazine, Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, Kyoryuzin and so on.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Alright, time for me to brush off that one semester of linguistics I took in college like 10 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_r ... ion_charts

Hepburn is the typical standard form of romanization used today, and the one we like to use the most often since it's fairly easy to, at a glance, see what exactly a word should be pronounced as.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon-shiki_romanization

The Nihon-shiki, on the other hand, was designed for Japanese speakers to write their own language with. It's the most regular in terms of how things are written but thus makes it hard to English speakers to pronounce.

Now let's get into the actual pronunciation of things. If you take a look at this chart here you'll see that the z- column is pronounced either with a z and the vowel, or with a ʑ and the vowel. Now, the z is pronounced the same as our z in zoo, but that funny looking curly ʑ is the "voiced alveolo-palatal sibilant fricative" which is a very linguistic way of telling you how to pronounce something. However, here's the fun part, the voiced alveolo-palatal sibilant fricative does not occur in any major dialect of English.

That's right! We can't pronounce it correctly cause we have no equivalent sound in English! So what do we do instead? We find a different, but similar sound and just shove it in there. Hello, voiced palato-alveolar fricative ʒ pronounced like the si in vision! What? "Although present in English, the sound is not represented by a specific letter or digraph, but is formed by yod-coalescence of [z] and [j] in words such as measure." Well that's just a pain, let's write it as a j and call it a day!

So yeah, you know how Japanese has that [ɾ] sound that's a mix of l/r without being either one? Have fun with its slightly less famous younger brother, ʑ, a mix of z/j without being either.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

What?
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate

Post by Fat D »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:21 pmWe can't pronounce it correctly cause we have no equivalent sound in English!
Pronunciation can be learned. In German, there is no such thing as a postalveolar approximant (English "r"), and my local dialect does not have an alveolar tap (Spanish r, Japanese r/l) either. Both can be mastered. My native r is a uvular fricative that turns into a trill if sustained.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'm not saying you can't learn it, but it's not something that is gonna come immediately or easily. It's always very difficult to completely master a new sound that doesn't appear in your native language. I'm just saying that this is the reason why some people think "oh I hear more of a z sound" or "it's a j sound" when it's really somewhere in the middle of the two, it's just your brain trying to give you the best equivalent.

There was an interesting bit on a variety show I watched about 2 years ago about an African tribe (I believe it was the San people but I'm having issues finding the episode again) who have a huge number of sounds in their native tongue so that they can sound instantly like a native speaker in most any other language since they can hear minute distinctions.

Return to “Kami no Kiba -JINGA-”