KR Zi-O 20 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:58 am

☆☆☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆☆☆
64%
☆☆☆
27%
☆☆
9%
No votes

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 20 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 3.36 / 5 (11 votes)

Alt Title: Fuck the rules

Sometimes, if something is cool enough, it's worth breaking the rules because it's just worth it.

This story arc breaks it because it's lazy and inconsistent. First, they establish early on that Another Riders and original Riders can't coexist. Now, I thought there'd be some explanation for why Quiz is still around. Don't wait for the answer, there isn't.

The reason for that rule is, if the original exists, he can just break the Another Rider. Points for the writer for actually acknowledging that. But it doesn't fucking work, because Woz needs to ultimately steal the power and make the Watch. There's no consideration for the writing or story, because there are these obvious plot beats that need to happen.

Worse yet, Mondo doesn't lose his memory. I mean, that sort of happened with the OOO arc anyway, but it doesn't come off as an intentional subversion to the pre established canon. It just seems lazy.

Bitchy nitpicking aside, it's good to see Sougo and Geiz have an understanding. But no great story beats happen that I can recall. The father doesn't even learn his lesson or come across as making any sort of sense. Does he really love his wife if he chooses to abandon his family? And how smart is he after stealing all those brains? We never really see, do we?

Like if his father's half assed answer was all he wanted, then he could have just lied to his mother. The ultimate result will be the same, since the father's words and actions don't line up. I think the ending is supposed to come across as a satisfying conclusion for all parties, but there's nothing happy about it since the implication is that the father is just going to be a nobody who ends up alone and dies early. Mom's still dying of future cancer. Mondo loses his powers BUT NOT HIS DRIVER.

Also, let's talk about how lame Quiz is. Lame pun-making, riddle asking, 2-bit Batman villain ripoff. What exactly is a Quiz's power anyway?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Zi-O 20 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

The main riders have devised a gambit to help Mondo deal with his father. Heartwarming at the least, but Another Woz anticipated it.

Seems Oma Woz has caught wind of Another Woz’s plan to create the Savior and resumed being the Demon King’s contingency unit. Good.

The W Armor is basically two big Phone Bravers? Nice.

We’re diving into the Mirror World next week.

OK episode, could be better.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Quiz's episodes were better than Shinobi's at least, because Quiz himself actually got some focus.
Spoiler
Next time, we're back to the tribute episodes for the first time in 2 months. A shame, the show was beginning to be somewhat decent. Looking forward to Kikai after that though.
Last edited by HowlingSnail on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

My theory on the whole Quiz breaking the rules things.

1. Quiz and Alternate Quiz came from two different realities. Which is why they both are allowed to exist at the same time. Sort of like how Black and White Woz exist.
2. Quiz created another timeline when he told his dad everything about him dying and abandoning his family. Which is why he was able to keep his memories when the Ride Watch was created.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

How are they going to explain Shougo having a W watch? I thought Geiz only stole Ghost and Drive from Oma-Zi-O.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

resop2 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm How are they going to explain Shougo having a W watch? I thought Geiz only stole Ghost and Drive from Oma-Zi-O.
Spoiler
Its from the movie Heisei Generations Forever. He got it along with Den O and Kuuga.
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

the rule didnt break actually(yet), it just apply for past rider but not future rider
and also becuz another shinobi&quiz are created in 2019 before their og rider even debut yet

in past ep, another rider always created in their respective og rider's debut year thus it change their history and they cant coexist
but quiz is from the future, and of course we all know another quiz will defintiely defeated in 2019, so thats why they coexist...

A-Quiz created in 2019 > A-Quiz defeated in 2019> KR-Quiz debut in future as intended> KR-Quiz travel to 2019 from future
just my thought XD
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Kuchiri wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:39 pm My theory on the whole Quiz breaking the rules things.

1. Quiz and Alternate Quiz came from two different realities. Which is why they both are allowed to exist at the same time. Sort of like how Black and White Woz exist.
2. Quiz created another timeline when he told his dad everything about him dying and abandoning his family. Which is why he was able to keep his memories when the Ride Watch was created.
Okay, but why does Quiz keep his belt still, even after his power was taken?
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:57 pm
Kuchiri wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:39 pm My theory on the whole Quiz breaking the rules things.

Okay, but why does Quiz keep his belt still, even after his power was taken?
Because this show is incapable of showing any sort of consistency.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I knew it, but hearing the truth is still painful!
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

So no tribute episode for W? Lame...
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
RoxasXIII
Infinity

Post by RoxasXIII »

CheetahLynx wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:33 pm So no tribute episode for W? Lame...
not sure have to spoiler it or not
Spoiler
another kuuga, den-o and w are in the movie
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this episode fell flat. It had all the right pieces - an interesting guest, some good character drama, good fights - but the whole didn't live up to the parts.

If nothing else, I'm happy that for as frumpy as Geiz gets, the writers didn't make him a total dick in this episode and backtracked off of last week's ending. There's plenty of time to get Quiz's power, but for now he needs to do the right thing and let Mondo resolve his own issues. It's moments like these that make Geiz bearable, as all too often he's made a pain in the ass to be Zi-O's foil.

But could the writers please remember that Sougo has his nifty, super-powerful Zi-O Decade form? The show is falling into the same trap of the main character getting his ass kicked week after week. It gets old after a couple of episodes.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I've long since accepted that Zi-O is a show where I have to be willing to let details slide often, and I have been enjoying it a lot thanks to that. With that in mind, this episode is almost... bold in how it so blatantly disregards established rules right in the viewer's face without even so much a passing excuse.

I have to assume Mondo loses his memories, but it's just taking a bit to kick in. I say I 'have to' in the sense that what little immersion I have built will crumble if I don't make these kind of assumptions often.

That said, some nice character stuff from most of the cast. I think it's really amusing that Geiz got to payback Zi-O for the beatdown he received back during the OOO tribute arc, even using the Build Armour just like that time too. And also just like then, it was (sorta) part of a ploy that the one getting beaten down wasn't aware of.

W armour will probably have a better showing when we see where it actually debuts from eventually, but in this episode, the little USB people assisting Zi-O for this wide 'triple' kick is one of the most surreal finishing attacks I've seen.

Futuring Quiz funnily enough, left a lot less of an impact on me despite this being it's debut. I don't like the look as much as Quiz himself, and there's no way the gimmicky 'question' power is going to see much actual practical use down the line, compared to Shinobi's ninja techniques.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

BreadToku wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:09 am Futuring Quiz funnily enough, left a lot less of an impact on me despite this being it's debut. I don't like the look as much as Quiz himself, and there's no way the gimmicky 'question' power is going to see much actual practical use down the line, compared to Shinobi's ninja techniques.
One scenario where it would be useful: Super-Geiz is ready to finish off Zi-o. Geiz says "Question: Will the reign of Super-Geiz be better than the reign of Oma-Zi-O? The answer is 'O'". Then he goes to do his finishing move and nothing happens (his suit shows that 'X' lit up). White Woz then admits that he came back in time to stop Geiz from beating Zi-O because the Geiz timeline hit a dead end.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”