Lupin VS Pat 51 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:21 am

☆☆☆☆☆
55%
☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆
16%
☆☆
No votes
6%

Total votes: 31
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 51 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Whole series discussion
Poll

Last week's rating: 4.21 / 5 (14 votes)

Alt Title: Fin!

Really liked this episode. The Pats get a chance to save the world (with the help of the LupinRangers).

The Lupins get a chance to sacrifice themselves.

The hint of Kogure moving on to Kairi's bro, Aya, and Shiho to be the next Lupins is pretty good. I want a spinoff where we get to see that! Come on Toei! I mean, it's dumb that they take a year to figure out how to save the original Lupins, but at least the implication is pretty tantalizing.

Kairi crying and apologizing to his brother. Give that boy the tokusatsu version of an Oscar. Acting!

It's weird they gave the power up to the PatRan X form, but at least Kei finally gets his armor.

Don Yaabun or whatever his name is, are we going to see him executed now that the Lupins are saved? I really like that the implication that just because the big boss is dead, that there's still stragglers left in the organization (kind of refreshing compared to other Sentai endings). And that the Lupins and Pats are still at odds. That's the kind of ending that I think is satisfying. One chapter is completed, but the heroes haven't completely given up their act because there's more work to do.

And can I say that the art direction and poses and everything is just style, style, style. The LVSP one line summary: Show's got style. And that's what I loved about this series. Thank you for giving me a sentai series that I could really root for this year. 5/5 stars for the finale
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Lupin VS Pat 51 Released!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

The Patrangers are struggling against Dogranio while the Thieves contemplate their last moments together. Yet, both teams have made sure to stop the otherworldly mob boss!!

The Thieves’ gambit continues with THE BOOK!!! And Keiji Fujiwara hit Blackjack!!

Interesting move from Noel and Kogure involving them.

Good episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thanks to davinci for pointing out that group of ladies are old school 80s sentai heroines:

Ooishi Mai was ChangePhoenix from Changeman
Tanaka Sumiko was YellowFour from Bioman
Nagata Yuki was YellowMask from Maskman
Makino Michiko was PinkFive from Bioman
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

That was a finale way beyond my expectations. I was expecting a generic ending where they somehow finally manage to open the safe, get the LupinRangers out, defeat Dogranio, and then the LupinRangers are pardoned for their crimes and they live happily ever after. So them transferring the collection pieces by the book was a really nice twist. I initially expected the PatRangers to just pool their equipment together with the Lupin family to wish the LupinRangers out, so it was a nice twist too that they were saved by their partners.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'll admit to tearing up a bit when the three new thieves stepped out of the shadows (Aya, dayum girl! rockin those heels) It was a good reunion of the Lupins and their loved ones that they fought for a whole year (possibly more) to restore.

An emotionally satisfying ending, with just a bit of plot left for the inevitable Returns in a few months.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah Aya's actress is hot. But got to love kid's shows. Tooma and Aya hug. They back off a bit, will they kiss?

Of course not. Back to hugging we go!
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Wonderful finale. There are of course a few various oddities (How did any of the thieves carry that book on them?) or little nitpicks (You couldn't flip Siren Striker down this last time!?), but what worked was so great that I walked away greatly satisfied all the same.

You know, Dogranio was only off screen a few meters during that touching reunion. I have to imagine he was grimacing at how sappy it all was. Also that whole scene was great and I too really want a special seeing these three doing some phantom theivery.

That last scuffle between the two teams is particularly a delight. They're fighting again, but it feels a lot more like a 'friendly rivaly' sort of thing. And all the little nods to earlier episodes (Umika tossing that bucket across a bar, Tsukas holding Touma at gunpoint, Kairi doing his twirly gun move) were all really nice touches.

This episode rocks. This show rocks.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

With the preface that I'm definitely going to be in the minority here, I actually came away a bit let down with that finale. It did a lot of things right (if not fantastically), but it also irked me in a few specific ways; shortcomings that really weren't necessary.

The strongest part of this episode was definitely the emotional side. This is the series finale, and by and large it delivered. As Takenoko already noted, Kairi's actor knocked it out of the park. And the Pats were no slouches either. Seeing their reactions when the Lupins came back was priceless, only exceeded by the reaction of the Lupins to see their loved ones had come to save them to begin with (and how cool was that for them to be the next generation of thieves?).

But where's Noel's payoff? Granted, he's not our favorite Ranger by a long shot, but he was oddly absent in all of this. He wasn't at either reunion, even though he's been missing the Lupins as well. And while the other Lupins got their wish - their loved ones are back - Noel got screwed in service of a "the adventure continues" ending. I can't recall the last time a sixth was shut out like this.

Weaker was the plot. The Lupins being in the safe was clearly going to be an aspect of all of this - and despite the implausibly large size of the collection ledger - I can work with that as a Rule of Cool matter. I'm more bothered by the fact that the Lupins were locked in the safe for a whole dang year, no worse for the wear even though there doesn't seem to be any food or water (being an ethereal plain in the form of a field).

And then there's Jackpot Striker. The show setup a perfectly good solution to the problem: use the entire power of the collection to free them. Instead we get the stupid movie-exclusive figure that hasn't been seen or even mentioned in the entire TV series up until now, who conveniently can get in the safe and has the power to get the Lupins out. It just feels like too much of a hindquarters pull here; that the writers wanted to do something different and also realized they hadn't used Jackpot Striker in the show. I might give the writers some credit here if Jackpot Striker had been found in real time, or previously collected, but showing it as a flashback really undermines things.

The finale fake out also rubs me the wrong way. It's executed well enough, I suppose. But it feels like a fake out too far? Promising a total party kill and then not delivering on it is kind of a tease. It denied the Lupins a chance to die in a blaze of glory, as they originally vowed to do. And it denied Kei the chance to eliminate the biggest Ganglar threat once and for all. I feel like the fake out undermines his character here, as it denies him the ethos moment he'd get if the fight ended in a more straightforward manner, and we saw him decide not to kill the Don and instead resolve to haul him in to pay for his crimes.

I do however like the not-so-subtly sadist nature of what they did with the Don. So many other series are concluded with the heroes killing the Big Bad in a blaze of firepower. Instead this one gets to live a most miserable existence. A fitting end for a mafia Don accustomed to leisure, and a bit of retribution for his hypocrisy in turning on Gauche for being so reliant on the collection pieces.

Finally, the action was great as always. I especially liked the credits fight. We haven't had a long, set piece brawl like that in a long time, and those are always fun to watch. I also rather liked what they did with the OP; it wasn't just the usual cut to the title card, but instead we got those low-saturation shots for all 7 Rangers.

Overall it was a good finale. But it could have delivered more on both the plot and even the emotional fronts. Instead it went big on style, as Takenoko put it, causing it to come up short elsewhere.

Hand-off: So the annual hand-off was interesting. I believe that's the first time they've ever done it in a "real" location? If I recall correctly, all of the previous hand-offs have been in a black void. Actually, if anything there's a noticeable lack of an actual hand-off, since LupinRed and PatRed are busy fighting...

Returns/VS Movie: Since this war buried in the CM pack I almost missed it! VS movies are back. But they're now being combined with the Returns movie and put in the Returns release slot? Granted, I'm not in a hurry to see the Kyuurangers again to begin with. But I am especially disinterested in them when it's been a year and a half since their show ended. If Toei wants to do a VS movie, they need to release it mid-season like they used to.

Worse, does this mean we're not getting another Space Squad movie?! This movie is taking the slot that Kyuu VS Space Squad held last year. This is extremely disappointing if it's true.:(
takenoko wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 pm Yeah Aya's actress is hot. But got to love kid's shows. Tooma and Aya hug. They back off a bit, will they kiss?

Of course not. Back to hugging we go!
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to notice that. That scene unintentionally got a good laugh out of me. Touma is an engaged man who has been locked in another realm for the last year with a woman and a madman. And the year before that he was fighting to get his fiancee back. He should be a lot more excited to be reunited with his fiancee! :o
Lunagel wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 pm I'll admit to tearing up a bit when the three new thieves stepped out of the shadows (Aya, dayum girl! rockin those heels)
I almost did a double-take there for a second. Sentai has never been one to shy away from implausible footwear, but a stealthy, phantom thief running around in those things is on a whole other level. :lol:

Edit: I almost forgot: cheers to the TV-N crew for once again subbing a season of Super Sentai! <3
Last edited by ViRGE on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I assume Jackpot is from a movie?

Pretty good ending. I like the idea that the Boss got rusty from coasting on all his collection pieces for years.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Catastrophe wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:18 am I assume Jackpot is from a movie?
Yeah, he's from the summer movie. He's a clone of Good Striker that forms the body of the movie robo, LupinRex. LupinRex was pure CGI, and very good CGI at that, which is why I'm not surprised it didn't show up in the series proper.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So Toei, when can we expect to see female Lupin Blue?

Also, who else is looking forward to the Lupinrangers
Spoiler
becoming the Patrangers
in the VS movie?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

That ending was just Feels Good Man.

I also like the fact that it was the Patrangers who ended up being the ones to save the day. Up until this point it was always the Lupinrangers who got all the cool toys and whatnot.

I like that Dogranio didn't die and was just locked up underground somewhere. Serves him right.

X and Red swapping powerups may have something to do with the nature of their armor. Victory Striker might just fit better on a "Lupin Style" uniform, whereas Siren Striker might fit better on a "Pat Style" uniform.

X has the build of his uniforms swapped.

Idk, it's just a hunch, I could be totally wrong.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

I was on the side of the ending falling flat. I was screaming "come ON, kiss the girl, man!!!" at Tooma, loved Kairi breaking, I admit I too many feels at that moment, and yes, LOVED the "new lupins", and would definitely kill to see an ep or two of them in action.

good ending to the series, but I wanted a little more, and also felt Noel got screwed.

in summary, I think I felt a lot of the same things that have been mentioned, and I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one.

the "changeover" makes me cringe... dear god, RyusoulRed is gonna be an annoying type. he'll be hated by ep3, for sure.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

and because it deserves a separate post:

all the love and thanks to Lunangel and the crew for all their hard work on this series!!!!
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

I'm not quite sure how X got screwed over. He's still alive, working to complete the collection so he can revive Arsene.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”