Lupin VS Pat 51 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:21 am

☆☆☆☆☆
55%
☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆
16%
☆☆
No votes
6%

Total votes: 31
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Lupin VS Pat 51 Released!

Post by ViRGE »

Dengar wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 am I'm not quite sure how X got screwed over. He's still alive, working to complete the collection so he can revive Arsene.
In the end his character arc didn't really go anywhere. He's more or less right back where he started at episode 20. Arsene still hasn't been revived, and there are still collection pieces that need to be recovered to make that happen. Despite his character's dual-side status (mostly in service of the VS plot), he was fundamentally a Lupin. So his story is primarily about getting his loved one back. He's not an adventurer or a hero specifically out to save the people, and as a character he didn't really change throughout the series. He kind of ended up being an ascended support character at times.
takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 am >If Toei wants to do a VS movie, they need to release it mid-season like they used to.

I think one weakness of the VS is that they tend not to have anything for the current team to do, and mostly focuses on nostalgia from last years rangers. At least by combining it with the Returns, the current team can do wrap up on unfinished storylines.
You're not wrong, of course. But smashing the Returns into the VS now means that the movie has to serve multiple masters. Either one of those has generally been enough to fill a whole movie, so now we have to worry about whether the VS gets shortchanged for the Returns, and vice versa.
>Worse, does this mean we're not getting another Space Squad movie?! This movie is taking the slot that Kyuu VS Space Squad held last year. This is extremely disappointing if it's true.:(

I guess it depends on what space squad movie they'd be doing. Frankly, give me a Shinkenger 10 years after. Another year and we can have a Gokaiger 10 years after. Shock!
Right now the answer would appear to be none. But as a sort of dedicated nostalgia spin-off for all things Toei, they could be doing anything they want. It's unfortunate to see Space Squad reduced from an excellent stand-alone pair of movies, to squashed together with the Returns, to written off entirely. It's one of the few nostalgia projects Toei has done this decade that actually worked well, IMO.
HowlingSnail wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:41 am
takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 am>Hand-off: So the annual hand-off was interesting. I believe that's the first time they've ever done it in a "real" location? If I recall correctly, all of the previous hand-offs have been in a black void. Actually, if anything there's a noticeable lack of an actual hand-off, since LupinRed and PatRed are busy fighting...
Magi Red was outside when he called up Bouken Red, and Go-On Red and Shinken Red were outside for their clash.
Ahh, so they have done it in a real location before. It's just been the better part of a decade. Thanks!
takenoko wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Catastrophe wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm Were the Pats taking the collection pieces during the year that the Lupins were MIA?
I think the implication was that Lupin Gen 2 were doing the thieving, probably in the hopes of rescuing the original Lupins via Dragon Ball.
That whole exchange is very brief and very vague. We're not given any sense that the police and the public have seen any phantom thieves since they first disappeared. It's the Pats that are now popular, and the phantom thieves have lost their popularity. "They're going to make a comeback soon!" So I don't get the impression that they've been out looking for other collection pieces. Rather it seems like they were specifically tasked with finding Jackpot Striker, in order to bust out the original Lupins.

So if there were any other collection pieces, then yes, it sounds like the Pats have them?
Eternal_Winterbane wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 pm I absolutely loved this ending, I don't really have much to add, apart from the fact i love how the final collection piece collected is the same one from the opening, a nice touch i think
Oh hey, I thought it looked familiar! Thanks for pointing that out.
takenoko wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 am Speaking of which, what are they doing a year later right before they're rescued? It looks like Umika is giving Tooma a haircut, and he's wearing some kind of covering that's different from his phantom thief uniform.
Specifically, he seems to be wearing an apron designed to look like MagiGreen?

Your guess is as good as mine as to where Umika got the scissors.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>So if there were any other collection pieces, then yes, it sounds like the Pats have them?

But how would they have them? Unless they just let Noel grab them as a courtesy for the work he's done for them?

But what would the point of having Neo Lupins exist be then? Kogure wouldn't hire them to just faff around and not do anything for a year while the Pats are destroying Ganglar remnants and the Lupin Collections they carry.

I just like the idea that between the span of the beginning of the finale to the end, another year of LVSP adventures happen that we don't see.

>Specifically, he seems to be wearing an apron designed to look like MagiGreen?

It does look like MagiGreen's cape doesn't it? I guess they needed something to look like a barber's thingy and they grabbed the first cape available?
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Poor Touma having to deal with Kairi and Umika's nonsense without any break for all that time. I'm sure he loves them, but I wouldn't be surprised if after getting free, he's going to spend a ton of time away from those two.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 am It does look like MagiGreen's cape doesn't it? I guess they needed something to look like a barber's thingy and they grabbed the first cape available?
I have to imagine it's meant as some kind of shout out. But heck if I can figure out what that shout out is meant to be.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 amIn the end his character arc didn't really go anywhere. He's more or less right back where he started at episode 20. Arsene still hasn't been revived, and there are still collection pieces that need to be recovered to make that happen. Despite his character's dual-side status (mostly in service of the VS plot), he was fundamentally a Lupin. So his story is primarily about getting his loved one back. He's not an adventurer or a hero specifically out to save the people, and as a character he didn't really change throughout the series. He kind of ended up being an ascended support character at times.
I (personally) do not really see a problem here. Arsene simply hasn't been revived yet. There is no reason to believe he will not be revived ever. He also spent time offscreen training the new phantom thieves. It's true that he spent more time developing other characters than himself, but I don't think that makes him the type of character who you could remove from the story without anything changing. Not everyone needs to go through a whole hero's journey, imo.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I agree with Virge though, Noel comes off as less a character and more of a mechanic of the story. He's there to supply new vehicles and to help the main characters.

We don't even learn about his goal till like 5-10 episodes ago. It's almost like they made up his alien thing just a few months ago. He doesn't have to go through a hero's journey, but this lack of development just makes him feel less interesting (and gives him less screen time) as a result of it.

Also, presumably the Lupins collecting the last piece of the collection means Noel will try to make his wish directly after the end of the episode. Why isn't he there joining the fight? Or why don't we even mention his wish to save Arsene in the last episode?
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I mean they could've kept on having Goody go through the book with a bunch of food in him, they make him big and get the food out of him. Which is how Kogure knew Jackpot could go through. However they couldn't do the return trip because Goody had to be his regular size to go through the book?

I personally think this topped my favorite Sentai list by a landslide.
Eric
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Poppy Pipopapo
Favorite Actor?: Iijima Hiroki
Favorite Band: something else
My boom: music, cheese stuff
Quote: "Hello there." -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Eric »

Quick tip: I do really like how the ending was, the reunion of the loved one who the thieves lost and Kei-chan's thoughts of pure regret (as well as Sakuya, Tsukasa and Noel too) to put an end to Yabbun's insanity after all.

I want to see Yabbun dead but instead he got captured by the cops, ikr? There might be remaining Ganglar survivors out there a year later after the cops' final battle. At least Super Patran Ichigou and Super Patran X debut in this episode after all but only once (also Jackpot Striker had his only TV appearance).

Remember that Kogure-san left the Lupin Collection Book to the thieves in Number 44? That was a clever idea for cops to defeat Yabbun easier.
Spoiler
Congratulations Toei, you just broke the Sentai tradition of defeating the last enemy and his/her death in the last episode of every Sentai season by just arresting Yabbun-sama instead of getting dead after his defeat.
For that record Lupin VS Pat broke 2 traditions in the entire Super Sentai series. The one with 2 rival Sentai teams in one series and the one I mentioned.

Spoiler
At least next week there will be a Super Sentai special miniseries this month before Ryusoulger in March. I'm so hyped to see Kei-chan again, and also Kagura from ToQger.
Discord: Eric the Gaming Guy#2407 | Deviantart | Tumblr

Watching: Zi-O, Saikyou Battle (Miniseries), Tokusatsu GAGAGA (Jdorama)
Completed: Gaim, ToQ, Ghost, Zyuoh, Ex-Aid, Kyuu, Build, Lupin VS Pat
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

ViRGE wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:10 am Since this war buried in the CM pack I almost missed it! VS movies are back. But they're now being combined with the Returns movie and put in the Returns release slot?
Technically, the Space Squad movie last year was Kyuranger's VS movie- I think the Japanese Wikipedia also states such. Although I don't know if Toei ever said anything regarding this, I personally like to think that the VS movies didn't take a break last year.
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
CaptainTalon449
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: "This is our stage" -Kazuraba Kouta
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CaptainTalon449 »

You know Umika brought up a good point in the episode. It's a bit disappointing that for all the effort the Lupins themselves put into gathering the collection they never got to meet Arsene himself
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

my only moan is how don gorios safe was opened. i really felt Good Striker was the key there as he is both Trigger Machine and Dial Fighter. hence he can open any safe since he can rewrite the combination to open it. or perhaps even if not on that, using good striker to enhance a Dial Fighter to it could force open the safe. I mean thats what Good Striker does, enhance the powers of the collection pieces.

but over that year they didnt need food? and no collection pieces got destroyed? or did Noel collect those? or the stand ins? so many questions.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

midorininger wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:52 pm my only moan is how don gorios safe was opened. i really felt Good Striker was the key there as he is both Trigger Machine and Dial Fighter. hence he can open any safe since he can rewrite the combination to open it. or perhaps even if not on that, using good striker to enhance a Dial Fighter to it could force open the safe. I mean thats what Good Striker does, enhance the powers of the collection pieces.

but over that year they didnt need food? and no collection pieces got destroyed? or did Noel collect those? or the stand ins? so many questions.
The problem wasn't the safe itself but the chains that bind the safe. The Patrangers couldn't destroy the chains and can't open it without removing the chains. So your solution of Good Striker wasn't going to work.

The Don had a Ferris Wheel inside of him. So I easily imagine that they can find some food and water in there.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Phoenix512 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:57 am The Don had a Ferris Wheel inside of him. So I easily imagine that they can find some food and water in there.
I can imagine the division of labor: Tooma: "Okay, me and Kairi will look for food and water, Umika, you guard the book." Two hours later, Tooma has already brought back food and water. Kairi comes back. Tooma: "Any luck?" Kairi: "No, couldn't find any chicks."
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

It was a good final episode but overall this show is barely a 3 at most and without a doubt Kairi is up there in the top 3 of worst reds with Alata and Righto.

They did a great job with the new Lupins but for what? they did one mission and they were done...

The show still used the PatRangers as jobbers the entire time and Noelle was also a very bad character..

I watched this one in batch of 10 episodes (1-10) months later 10-20 and so on but it was very difficult to enjoy.

Lets hope for the next show to be better.
Final Vent!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Kurow wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:41 am It was a good final episode but overall this show is barely a 3 at most and without a doubt Kairi is up there in the top 3 of worst reds with Alata and Righto.
Why do you think that Kairi is a terrible red? Was he annoying? Was he a bad role model? Was he a power up hog? Was his suit bleh looking? Was the actor bad?
Kurow wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:41 am They did a great job with the new Lupins but for what? they did one mission and they were done...
Jyuohgers had the hanging plot line of Leo vs Sela at the end of the show but they resolved it in the follow up movie.
Kurow wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:41 am The show still used the PatRangers as jobbers the entire time and Noelle was also a very bad character..
As far as I know, there has never been any show or book involving phantom thieves were the main focus of the show was on the police. Also, the Pat's got their heat back in the final episode and gave Big Evil a fate much worse than dying in a big explosion.
Kurow wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:41 am Lets hope for the next show to be better.
Are you looking for anything in specific?

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”