Type: ISFJ Protector

Tokusatsu GAGAGA 06 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: N/A

Alt Title: Rough

Oh man, one of the things I appreciated about this show versus AkibaRanger was how it was a lot more grounded and realistic. But man, I did not expect it to go places.

But to go in order, I'm not sure if I feel jealous of the copier dude. Does Nakamura actually like him or is she just using him because he looks like Shishileo's actor? Pretty impressed that the guy went and did that in public though! So romantic!

Poor Onoda, so ignored.

Does Nakamura's brother's family play a bigger purpose in the comics? They feel very superfluous here. They do little more than act as exposition and aren't very good allies for Nakamura.

On the other hand, I love Ninkyou's mom. It's an interesting comparison to Nakamura's situation.

Can't deny that Nakamura's actress is a real cutie. We only see her wear her big glasses when she's in her home, but she looks cute in them too. Also, it's hard to tell that her hair is as long as it is outside of that setting too.

Poor Damien, his first heartbreak! Not sure what's going on with Yoshida??? I guess we'll find out in the next episode.

Small note, it's cool to see Kitashiro checking out Nakamura's kid's movie even though she's clearly not interested. Now that's friendship!

Really appreciate Nakamura asking her friend's permission before using her cellphone. Wish some of my friends had manners like that.

Finally, Nakamura versus her mom. I mean, I get it. Sometimes as a kid, your parents throw out stuff you like and you get mad about it, but you get over it. But you don't expect them to sneak into your room as an adult and go through your things. That's just wrong.

The series has always compared the mom to Genka Shogun. And with Ninkyou's mom, we were primed to believe that maybe Nakamura's mom is misunderstood.

But man, no. I'm not surprised the mom breaks the toy, but I wasn't expecting slapping to get involved. But man, Kano's mom totally deserves it. She crosses so many lines in this episode. Going into her room, taking her stuff. Slap your adult child and you get slapped back!

Only one more episode!

Does the manga creator draw the pics that occur between scenes? I hope he's not the one drawing the Lovecute stuff though.

Edit: Nice detail. If you watch the Nakamura packing her stuff scene, you can see that Shishileo is already missing, but the camera is positioned so that it's not super obvious.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Tokusatsu GAGAGA 06 released

Post by Lunagel »

Oh man. Wow, that was a hell of an episode.

It's nice to have some of those dramatic moments in a show and DAMN does it deliver here. I think it hit particularly close to home since the vast majority of us are or know someone who's a closet ota. I'm still at a bit of a loss for words over how powerful that ending was, especially with snapping the Shishileo figure and then the slap.

I know it's been said before, but this is really clearly a labor of love for someone on production staff cause it's just so *real*.

When the mother burned those TV-Kids I nearly cried. That was just too far.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, like I don't know how this is going to end. But the mom might be redeemable, but she's such a clearly toxic person in Kano's life. If you're afraid to be who you are with this person, and they're family, and they'll just slap you for nothing, that's no good. I'm rooting for Kano to get out of there, because fuck the mom. She may have sacrificed to raise Kano, but she doesn't have a right to do all that shit.

And speaking of close to home, when I was Kano's age, I fought with my mom about stuff like this too. She'd wreck my stuff, wrinkle a limited Sailor Moon poster I had. When I bought things and had them shipped to my house, she'd scribble screeds and stuff on my package. Incredibly shitty behavior. Like nowadays, we're good with the occasional "You should save more of your money." but I was incredibly mad at my parents for the longest time growing up. Fortunately, mom's mellowed out since retiring.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

Aww, there are only seven episodes of this? Usually a J-drama lasts around a dozen episodes.

How well is this doing in Japan? Are there any hopes for a second season?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Guess they felt like the story was adequately told in a half quarterly. I honestly kind of like it, since nothing feels drawn out.

No idea how it's doing. Whoever's updating the Japanese wiki isn't uploading ratings. Has anyone read the manga? Does it have storylines that go beyond this one?
Rashef
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W, Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger season 2
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Monkey Island

Post by Rashef »

My eyes are sweaty. :(
My Copyright Infringing folder with random assortment of ripped Kamen Rider SFX is found right... HERE.
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

takenoko wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:59 am Guess they felt like the story was adequately told in a half quarterly. I honestly kind of like it, since nothing feels drawn out.

No idea how it's doing. Whoever's updating the Japanese wiki isn't uploading ratings. Has anyone read the manga? Does it have storylines that go beyond this one?
manga only has 17 chapter translated, no clue how many there are raws

edit: after searching, found at least 162chapters are out there
Last edited by Cross on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I was waiting for Kano to freak out on her mother, so I'm glad she did that.

Also, this is from Moritaka Ai's (ToQ 5gou) Instagram this week. She and Koshiba Fuka are good friends:

Kano: OMG! It's ToQ 5gou! I can't believe I'm this close to her! She's from one of my favourite Super Sentai non-trademark-infringing tokusatsu series!

Ai: Why this hell is this weirdo this close to me?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Heh, both of them are very cute.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I keep thinking about this episode, especially Kano's mother.

The really insidious part is that in her own mind, she's the good guy. She's trying to make sure that Kano has a secure future with someone taking care of her (old fashioned but a common mindset) because to her, that's stability, that's the ideal. In a way, she's living vicariously through her daughter, having her wear the cute, fashionable clothes she had to give up as a single mother, and driving her towards getting married soon because she's afraid no one will want an older woman, like with her (unsure if she was unsuccessful finding another partner or just didn't look, but either way). She can't understand why her daughter is pushing back against everything she's giving because it's all stuff she herself wants or wanted.

In comparison, Ninkyou's mother, while she finds her son's obsession with Precure Lovecute odd, and by her own admission thinks he's a weirdo, doesn't try to dissuade him from it. She realized that while she may not like or understand Lovecute, it doesn't matter what she thinks because clearly it's helping her son through some tough times and that's the most important part.

While both clearly love their children and want the best for them, the difference here is that Ninkyou's mother allows him to be his own person while Kano's mother tries to force her daughter to become what she herself could not.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>The really insidious part is that in her own mind, she's the good guy.

I mean, that's kind of true of all really evil people.

>and driving her towards getting married soon because she's afraid no one will want an older woman

Speaking of insidious, you can almost kind of see how the mom has a point. It kind of sucks trying to meet people when you're older. It's certainly a lot better now, but since Kano's a woman, she might want to consider her relationship prospects sooner, especially if she wants to have kids.

>While both clearly love their children and want the best for them, the difference here is that Ninkyou's mother allows him to be his own person while Kano's mother tries to force her daughter to become what she herself could not.

There's certainly a difference in methods, for sure. I mean, both moms are probably coming from the same place and probably have similar concerns. Letting the child be their own person is definitely a strong difference.

I think the thing that makes me hate Kano's mom so much is that she fundamentally doesn't treat Kano like a person who has her own preferences, feelings, and individuality. Kano's mom is just guilty of so many things, that it's easy to hate her as a person. I kind of wonder how the author came up with this storyline, since it seems very reminiscent of a conservative parent not approving of their homosexual child. Part of the reason I went with the term for "closet ota" for "kakure ota" was because it seemed to draw from similar parallels with LGBTQ issues.
KamenRiderAsh
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by KamenRiderAsh »

This episode really hit home. It legitimately made me angry, and that doesn't normally happen to me with fiction. Knowing two people who act like Kano's mom didn't help (not about toku, but other stuff). Sad to see this end next week. Thank you for subbing!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It might be worth talking about how names are used in this series. Since Kano's our perspective character, a lot of the names are from her point of view.

Like Ninkyou-san means thug or yakuza. Damien is the son of Satan from the Omen. Charahiko comes from "chara/frivolous". Charahiko in particular is funny, since no one calls him that except Kano in her head.

What I think is neat is the mom. She doesn't say "I", she uses the word "Mom" instead in a third person kind of way. For example, instead of saying "I think you're cute" she's say "Mom thinks you're cute". Now that we know her backstory, we can kind of see how "being mom" has become her identity. That's why it's doubly insidious since it has a real "Mom knows best" vibe.
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

Wow. This show never ceases to amaze me. I don't know how good the manga is, but they built a believable, fun, and deep world in these 6 going-on-7 episodes. This is my favorite show on TV right now. It's really, really good.

I have to agree that I appreciate how this is really grounded compared to Akibaranger. I still love Akibaranger, of course, but this does something different and I think it's important. I mean, this is a drama that is presumably being watched by many non-otaku in Japan every Friday night, right? I don't know what the viewership totals are, or what normally airs at that time, but it'd be interesting to compare this to other Drama 10 that have aired.

I think that Kano really did like the copy guy, or in the very least find him cute. It's a simple crush just like Damien's toward Yoshida. She just doesn't know how to interpret those feelings or deal with them. On a base level, he looks like Shishileo, and she "took a chance" and overcame her shame to ask him to roar. But she didn't see that he liked her back, and probably wouldn't know what to do if she could see it anyway.

I do like how Kano's brother and even her sister-in-law are understanding and support her.

Heh. Was that a Baby Alive doll?? I'm pretty sure the label said "Pee Pee." Why any little girl would want one of those is beyond me! I mean, do parents ever actually want to change diapers?

Yoshida...so she has a handsome and likely successful boyfriend. It appears as though she hides her tokusatsu love from him. I'm sure he encourages her to do photography, go to school, etc., and she genuinely likes that stuff, too. She is looking towards marriage and feels like maybe it's time to "grow up" and say goodbye to toku, just like she was musing in the 2nd (or was it 3rd?) episode. It's a sad place for her, because she feels like she has to say goodbye to one to have the other. The actress does a really great job of expressing emotion without talking. Her eyes were glossy and she swallowed that hurt in the back of her throat after she got off the phone with Kano. Of course when Damien asked openly about Jyushouwan and was very familiar with her in front of her boyfriend,she didn't know how to react and ran off.

So, surely in Jyushouwan, Shishileo and Genka Shogun will end up being related, considering who they mirror in the real world? Surely there's a chance at redemption for Mom. It happens in toku sometimes, especially if the big bad is related to or has a strong connection to the hero. But then, they often don't get redeemed until they die... :shock:

Those slaps at the end spliced with scenes of the swords clashing...I think even though we can justify Kano's retaliation, she knows inside that she's fighting evil with evil. The Jyushouwan swords are both cursed. They're not meant to do good. In the West, we're pretty familiar with the idea of "toxic" people, and many of us have them in our families. But this is Japan, and even though times are changing, there's still a big cultural and societal emphasis on respecting your parents and adhering to their wishes, isn't there? Kano tried very hard to stay hopeful, and even when that hope was crushed, she still bowed, as it were, to her mom after the slap, after she insulted her and her friends. It wasn't until Mom broke Shishileo that she snapped and stood up to her. That was just the final straw.

This show has really taken us through all of the great emotions, hasn't it?

Regarding the Emerjason karaoke challenge, the official NHK page for GaGaGa has a page of various videos related to the show, and one of them is the karaoke for Emerjason. Not the scene from the show, but the actual video on-screen that Kano and the gang sang to, so it could be useful for anyone who wants to try singing it. It's the 6th one down (as of right now) on this page:

https://www.nhk.or.jp/nagoya/gagaga/movie/

There are other cool supplemental videos there, too.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Regarding the Emerjason karaoke challenge, the official NHK page for GaGaGa has a page of various videos related to the show, and one of them is the karaoke for Emerjason. Not the scene from the show, but the actual video on-screen that Kano and the gang sang to, so it could be useful for anyone who wants to try singing it. It's the 6th one down (as of right now) on this page:
https://www.nhk.or.jp/nagoya/gagaga/movie/

Oh wow, I'm so used to the video page on websites being useless that I totally missed all those. Thanks for pointing that out! I know what I'm going to be doing toinght.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's a list of Drama10 shows
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%89 ... E3%83%9E10

Let's see, in 2010 there was a drama with the name Second Virgin. But yeah, I don't recognize any of these titles. I thought Friday night was considered one of the worst time slots in American television.

Return to “Tokusatsu GAGAGA”