My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Super Sentai Saikyou Battle 03 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's SSSB rating: 4.5 / 5 (8 votes)

Alt Title: TOQ 5 VS DekaMaster

Where does the time go? It feels like not a lot of stuff happened in this episode. Maybe they focused a bit too much on exposition? With all the Sentai characters they could have used, we didn't really need to have Stinger and DekaMaster fighting a bunch of putties.

And the ZyuRanger references are pretty undeniable at this point.

I wish they didn't waste this series as a promo for Ryusoulger, since those segments are such a waste of time.

On to the big event of the episode. I enjoyed the fight, but wish there were more to it. Kagura has a fun set of imagination powers, I wish she had used them to counteract Doggie's swordplay.

Can we talk about how good the suit design for DekaMaster is? Also, why is Doggie naked when they're talking during the fight. Does his clothes disappear when he's in the DekaMaster suit. Look, if they can fit his snout in that helmet, his clothes should be able to fit too.

Props to the actress for really getting through how creepy Rita is.

Would it kill them to show Luka's face? We know she's in the show, it's not a mystery.

Oh Marvelous, you're always so extreme.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Super Sentai Saikyou Battle 03 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Wondering if Issei Takahashi (Kai from Zyuranger) is watching this miniseries, considering who Rita really is and her ulterior motives being a reference to Bandora.

Kruger's in good form this episode. Kagura's awesome!

Of course, Gaisorg is a host-less shell that loves to possess the strongest. Hope you know what you're doing, Captain.

Good episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
DarknessRanger
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W

Post by DarknessRanger »

I wonder if there's any reason they're going for the Zyuranger/MMPR references beyond it just being the first Dino season.

Also, the SD episode is missing audio.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

ok, is the guy who shows at the end RyusoulRed, or is he someone else?

Otherwise, nothing surprising. although I now wanna go back and watch TOQGer again >.>

I saw TOQGer, Shikenger, Gokaiger.... trying to think what other foot troops, I saw, I know I didn't recognize a LOT of them. >.>

Edit: also props for the old theme songs in the background... heartwarming.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:56 pm < Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's SSSB rating: 4.5 / 5 (8 votes)

Alt Title: TOQ 5 VS DekaMaster

Can we talk about how good the suit design for DekaMaster is? Also, why is Doggie naked when they're talking during the fight. Does his clothes disappear when he's in the DekaMaster suit. Look, if they can fit his snout in that helmet, his clothes should be able to fit too.
I feel like they did that sort of thing in Deka as well. For some reason he doesn't have is coat when he is transformed and they do those weird inner thoughts and he was always shirtless.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

/me makes an out of context pic of Doggie and Kagura
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

We see Doggie without his shirt to remind us that he is ripped.

Anyhow this was another great episode. The ToQger theme song is really good at getting me pumped, and I didn't realised I missed Kagura's trademark self-motivation.

Our reds beating on Gaisorg was also very cool, especially those stylish shots of Marvelous side-stepping those energy slashes.

This big fanservice nostalgia fest is honestly delivering to me in just about every way I thought it could. Well, I guess Stinger and Takaharu haven't done too much that was amazing like the rest but uh... I'm fine with that, really! They've been both doing fine enough so far, personally.

And Rita is a bad guy! Maybe my expectations were too low on that front, but I was pleasantly surprised there was more to her after all.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Nothing about this series has truly wowed me thus far, but this episode was another good entry. We got some fighting, some more fighting, some mooks, some exposition, some more cameos, and the inevitable villain reveal.

Rita being an evil mastermind was telegraphed so far in advance that it was hard to miss it. But the show is handling it decently. It's a nostalgia series first and foremost, so the plot isn't being treated as terribly important. But on the flip side it does connect from episode to episode, and the writers are making it work.

Speaking of the writers, they at least gave us a throw-away line for why there are no mecha in the series. I still want some giant robo action, but I appreciate that they at least bothered to give an in-universe reason for their absence.

I have to say, even compared to the other episodes thus far, the fight choreography was really good in this episode. The ToQ 5 vs. Dekamaster fight clearly had a lot of care put into it. Even a normal episode sets a high bar, but they really did a lot of two-man stunts here, and it just looked and flowed great. We don't see that too often, especially since it's usually not appropriate for most characters/fights.

Kagura's wish is really weird though. On the one hand it's actually less trite than Yamato's, but on the other hand it's very vague? She wants more time and energy? I'm actually not quite sure what part of all of that requires an extra-dimensional power to achieve.

As for Gaisorg, that was telegraphed almost as obviously as Rita's villainous nature. Though I have to admit I forgot that Gaisorg fought Stinger, so the reveal that he was in the suit the final time actually caught me by surprise. And what a beat-down fight that was; the poor sod took the whale cannon directly to the chest! (I still say that thing is practically cheating!)

... and Rita is trying to bring back Dai Satan. There's our Zyuranger connection, right on schedule.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:56 pm And the ZyuRanger references are pretty undeniable at this point.
Yep. Though I was actually a bit surprised we didn't see any actual putties when the mook fight broke out.
I wish they didn't waste this series as a promo for Ryusoulger, since those segments are such a waste of time.
I kind of like it. They're short pieces and they don't mean much on their own, but I'm interested in seeing where all of this is going.
Also, why is Doggie naked when they're talking during the fight. Does his clothes disappear when he's in the DekaMaster suit. Look, if they can fit his snout in that helmet, his clothes should be able to fit too.
Well Sakamoto is directing this one. So given his quirks, he probably tried to do that scene the other way around before someone on the crew smacked some sense into him... :shock:
Would it kill them to show Luka's face? We know she's in the show, it's not a mystery.
I don't think the issue is that it's meant to be a mystery. Rather they don't actually have MAO for filming. So they're using a stand-in, which means they can't show her face as it would give it away. It's similar to the other "cameos" at the start of the series, where we saw Bouken Yellow and the like, framed in such a way to hide the obviousness of the stand-ins.
DarknessRanger wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm I wonder if there's any reason they're going for the Zyuranger/MMPR references beyond it just being the first Dino season.
Right now I think the answer to that is no. They want to hype up the new dino Sentai, so Zyuranger references it is.
Sinkuu wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:16 pm I saw TOQGer, Shikenger, Gokaiger.... trying to think what other foot troops, I saw, I know I didn't recognize a LOT of them. >.>
I recognized most of them. Mooks from all of the recent series, plus Turboranger and Ohranger. However I didn't recognize the blue ones with the long hair; apparently they're from Changeman.
BreadToku wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:27 pm Our reds beating on Gaisorg was also very cool, especially those stylish shots of Marvelous side-stepping those energy slashes.
Right? That was a really cool shot. And I don't think they ever did something like that in Gokaiger, so that's "new" power for Denjiman.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Also, why is Doggie naked when they're talking during the fight. Does his clothes disappear when he's in the DekaMaster suit. Look, if they can fit his snout in that helmet, his clothes should be able to fit too.
Well Sakamoto is directing this one. So given his quirks, he probably tried to do that scene the other way around before someone on the crew smacked some sense into him... :shock:

Ha, I snorted when I read that.
I don't think the issue is that it's meant to be a mystery. Rather they don't actually have MAO for filming. So they're using a stand-in, which means they can't show her face as it would give it away. It's similar to the other "cameos" at the start of the series, where we saw Bouken Yellow and the like, framed in such a way to hide the obviousness of the stand-ins.

But they do have her. She's credited for the voice of GokaiYellow and we see her picture on the guest star page on the website.
jabsjab
Number 6
Number 6

Post by jabsjab »

Why is Doggie naked? Not to mention that Kagura is still underage right? :o :o
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:39 am
Ha, I snorted when I read that.
My work here is done. :lol:
But they do have her. She's credited for the voice of GokaiYellow and we see her picture on the guest star page on the website.
They have her in the ADR booth. That's not the same as being able to get her on set to actually film a scene. Even if she was available I'm sure that would have cost extra, and Toei may not be in a mood to pay it.
Last edited by ViRGE on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Boo!

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/saikyo-battle/character/

Wait, she's clearly got makeup on and stuff and in costume though. If she was just dubbing, she'd have a filler pic like RyuuRanger or NinjaWhite
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:18 am Boo!

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/saikyo-battle/character/

Wait, she's clearly got makeup on and stuff and in costume though. If she was just dubbing, she'd have a filler pic like RyuuRanger or NinjaWhite
Interesting, and good catch. Maybe they were only able to get her for the final episode? Toei pulled something similar in Jyoohger: only Marvelous's actor actually showed up in part 1 of the two-part anniversary special.

On a related note: Takeharu was conspicuously absent most of this episode as well. We didn't see him with the other lead actors at any point. I wonder if Toei wasn't able to get him for a day or two of filming?
zigmenthotep
Adventure
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zigmenthotep »

Loved the cavalcade of grunts. Also this series is making just making me want to rewatch series that I do not have time for. I'm not even caught up on all the Heisei series yet.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

zigmenthotep wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:13 am Loved the cavalcade of grunts. Also this series is making just making me want to rewatch series that I do not have time for. I'm not even caught up on all the Heisei series yet.
dude, you and me both

Return to “Super Sentai Saikyou Battle”