LupinRanger VS PatRanger series discussion (Spoilers)

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Re: LupinRanger VS PatRanger series discussion (Spoilers)

Post by Kuchiri »

I loved just about everything with Lupinranger vs Patranger. It will probably be the Toku I recommend to newbies now.

I first started talking about how I loved everyone had a 'mask' a while back.
viewtopic.php?f=240&t=23086&start=15#p259546

New Amendment X is honestly an avatar of Lupin masquerading as a carefree man. That's his mask. We can assume his personality is the same as Lupin's. You can see cracks in his mask whenever he has to be serious, you can tell all he wants is the Lupins and Pats working together because that will get him to his goal he's trying to hard to be his mentor but can't.

I also love how they were able to bring in the Lupin's loved ones so many times over through the series. It makes me wonder if they already wrote all of the scenes out. (Including the reveal of Lupins V2) and filmed it all in one day. If not. that's major dedication for all the loved ones.

Everything about the plot is relevant. While there were some moments that felt like cop outs. I feel like they tried maybe one too many plot threads... It would've been cool if like around episode 43 the Lupins while seeing the Pats getting their butts kicked by something go. 'Where's Jackpot?!' and you know, being sentai watchers that know around episode 40 they do the movie tie in go. 'Oh this is the movie tie in episode...' and Kairi goes 'Oh he ran away... I don't know where he went.' with Noel saying. 'That will be something we deal with later.' Would've been a great enough set up for the Lupin V2 intro. Plus it would subvert our expectations. Which is what this season did a pretty great job in doing.

We are used to Sentais throwing away interesting plot elements early. Remember when the Kyoryugers had no clue who each other were? For.... four episodes? I can probably look at the episode discussions from 1-6 and see all the theories of the Lupins and Pats working together and throwing away that plot element. I also remember the assumption was made around Noel's introduction that he would be the key they work together.

We only go their clusterfuck mech 4 times this season... previous seasons when they introduce the big papa. It's basically used every episode. Hell, we went the final 9 episodes without it. When you'd expect they use it the most!

Things I wish they did.
1. I would've loved at least two episodes with similar plots.
a. An episode where Kei has like a flu or something and when a monster attacks. Nigou and Sangou has to team up with the Lupins. We end up getting a Red-Blue-Yellow-Nigou-Sangou-X roll call and pose like they were a regular sentai.
b. A similar episode with Kairi out of commission with a Ichi-Ni-San-Blue-Yellow-X rollcall.
2. I actually would've liked it for the teams work together more around when Destra got defeated.
3. It would've been cool to see the Lupin V2 transform at least once.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

That's a pretty good list of missed opportunities. Yeah, some different character combinations between the two teams would have been real cool. Also, Lupin Generation 2 transformations would have been nice. They probably didn't want to make a female LupinBlue costume though.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Kuchiri »

I mean I think we only had the two team's roll call twice? Three times if you want to count Sangou/Yellow early on.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

They were definitely going in a "Kogure has something else going on" direction, and then the immediate next episode after "Kogure smirks at the end and the show makes this seem menacing somehow" was "lol Kogure was bosozoku when he was younger, but also a fundamental part of his personality is being pathetically helpful, because those character traits totally mesh with what we've seen thus far" which was, I think, the point where they decided to abandon whatever they had planned for him and go with "no he's actually really a good guy who isn't going to betray the Lupins at all because he's just so earnest and caring."

I've read some of the original Arsene Lupin stories, and they're very careful about showing Lupin as being a thief who will steal anything from anyone and play games with his pursuers and victims, but to also take a minute (even to his own peril) to stop and help people who need a hand because he's a gentleman as well as a thief. I was really expecting Kogure himself to be Arsene, that he had staged his own death and was using these angry children as cat's paws because he'd already been trounced once.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

They definitely did try to make it seem Kogure had some ulterior motive early on. It actually really annoys me that they did that without doing anything with it at the end.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Kuchiri »

I mean, now you can take that smile as he leaves Jurer that he's happy he has a group of thieves who he can rely on. Instead of the whole "I'm evil!"
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I dunno, I think a lot of people just expected him to have something going on but I never really saw it. The support characters rarely get any kind of game-changing backstory and once Noel showed up it was pretty clear any sort of story Kogure was gonna get would be tied into Noel's story.
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

when does the batch download usually done after the show ended?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Honestly, it's pretty arbitrary. I can try to take a look at it tomorrow since it's my day off.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i really enjoyed the series, i especially liked how the 6th is a double agent.

The Lupins, omg the capes MAKE those costumes but the somewhat in-consistence with their the heels was puzzling. i had to wonder if Kairi was taller than his suit actor or if was part of the hiding his ID so he would appear taller as lupin red, since his top hat would visiually add height too?

the poor pats had rather ugly costumes. i got they were police uniforms .... but Dekaranger > Patoranger.

the CGI mecha fights were great, and the fact that Goody was the shared mecha so they could never giant robo battle was a nice touch. although Jackpotstriker .... i wish we saw more of that and Tricolor, or maybe 3 PatoranIchigo.

The 2 Team Role call was a neat 2, as they quashed it down to 5 members, and even solved the fact that arent the same team, "neither Police or Thiueves will back down to the ganglars!" not wuite as good as "united ninja alliance" from Hurricanger, but it was powerful none the less.

FINAL THOUGHT
i wish they were a little clearer on what crime the Lupins were wanted for. like taking from the scene of a crime is a crime, but we never saw them really steal except in the intro. and even the ending, i had iwshed France branch had made them honory agents to paredon them from their charges, but it seems no. if anything id like for Kairi to remain at large, while Touma and Umika return to their normal lives; leaving Keichiro chasing Kairi. but alas no. i really hope hasbro doesnt bring this series to the states because i dont think theyd translate it well, and the charm of the series comes from the interactions at Bistrot Jurer. not to sound a certain way but the Lupins being japanese could have played off never seeing a black guy before when Hilltop came in and knew all of them by name, playing off the shock that a cop came in knowing their names. PR makes weird casting choices, and given the distinct difference between Go-Busters and Beast Morphers (UGH) im not confident theyll capture the charm of the series. hopefully they go back and give us jetman PR.
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

TL;DR - Show was great, core 6 characters & action were outstanding, would watch again & any spin-offs/follow up movies would be welcome and I'd watch them as soon as they became available to me.

Having just finished it, I REALLY enjoyed this series overall. I can see why it was rated so highly during the polls recently. All of my main misgivings about the show have already been discussed at length, so i'm not gonna beat the dead horses (Pats getting fucked over, Noel's problems, Clearly Evil Butler not being evil, Zamigo, Ganglar, the wobbly episodes around 30, etc).

As someone who assumed "Oh, it's sentai, they'll put the teams together by the halfway point" The fact that they stuck to their guns on the VS part really works in it's favor. The core 6 were all enjoyable characters for me by the end (even Sakuya) and if they did a spin off of either team, i'd watch the hell out of it. The times when both teams DID work together felt even more special and awesome because it wasn't happening every week since episode 20-something. It didn't feel by the numbers here's your 7 man sentai team each week, it felt like two opposing sets of heroes occasionally putting their personal beef aside temporarily for the greater good. Sure, i think they could have been even stronger moments if the pats weren't so resolutely screwed by executive meddling, but i still think they were really strong moments. We only saw everyone team up to use all the super forms ONCE and it was plot relevant, destroying one of the generals. They didn't do it every episode after all the super forms were introduced, or only do it once in a superfluous filler episode with only half of the team.

Talking of the generals, i think the Don was a way less... asspull-y villain than Genis & Gauche was better than Naria. the Don has a legitimate reason for sitting on his arse the whole season until the end and you can believe his reasoning for not doing anything until then. Gauche actually did stuff other than grow the monsters, not much but still, more than Naria ever did. I liked her frankenstein ganglars and how really sinister she got played as. Didn't like her having her pieces taken to allow her to be defeated, felt a little bit like a cop-out (as did much of Ep48 honestly), but that was immediately swept under the rug by the teams coming together with roll calls, "it's an emergency", Lupinred channeling captain marvelous and an all 7 members in the name of the moon we'll punish you.

Thinking back that last example might be why i liked this show so much. Basically every irritant or negative IMMEDIATELY gets covered up with massively stylish awesome right after. Usually in the form of roll calls, team ups, emotional moments or dakka. I don't even care about the asspull with jackpot striker, i'm too busy in my glass case of emotion with the Lupin B-team arrival. The only episode where this wasn't the case (to my memory) was episode 11, but the less said about that the better.

The 2-part finale was pretty damn great, with loads of awesome fist punching the air moments and i legit bawled my eyes out when Lupin B-team appeared (would also watch the shit out of that show). It was really interesting to have the mafia boss not get blown up and then grow to fight your cluster mech, but to instead have him arrested and miserable in jail forever. It felt refreshing and more like an actual punishment than the usual MOTW go boom formula. The credits brawl between both teams being playful rivals with loads of callbacks to previous episodes did make me smile too. I look forward to the (hopefully inevitable) Ryusoulger vs Lupin vs Pat movie putting a neat little bow on this show.
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”