Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Super Sentai Saikyou Battle 04 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

Last week's SSSB rating: 4.5 / 5 (9 votes)

Alt Title: Luka to save the day!

What's with the audio between Stinger and Yamato? It's like they tried to add reverb but it sounds terrible and low quality.

Kind of an okay final boss fight. I would have rather had traded the time to see more Sentai guys beating each other up.

Guess the real highlight was our final sentai guest star, Luka. She did things particularly befitting her character and it was the best part of this episode.

No explanation for the ZyuRanger references, eh? That's a pity. Call me a greedy fan, but I always want more, and I don't even know what I wanted in particularly from this episode/series, but I wanted more of it. Oh, I know one thing that I would have liked more of was more Kagura. Besides the last episode, she really doesn't get to do or say as much, besides being a cheerful girl.

Still, always glad to see these actors again. Till we meet again, Super Sentai veterans!

Stinger has a legit question, what happened to the actual guardian? Is it anyone we know?

Edit:
Well fuck me, looks like they announced a director's cut. Give me more me hearties. Arrrr.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Re: Super Sentai Saikyou Battle 04 released

Post by SacredCultivator »

Err damn, for the RyuSoul attack, that sure was a long sequence just for 1 move.... If that's how it is during the actual show, that's a lot of wasted time honestly.

But I did like the ZyuRanger references, "Make my monster grow!" staff throw, and the parting of the ground.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

tell me that wasn't bandora.

TELL ME THAT WASN'T BANDORA.

jesus suffering fuck.... weak ass ending, no one goes home, no threads wrapped up.... yawn.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

The series overall was pretty decent. I agree we could have gotten some more stuff (Wasted potential not having Kyoryu Grey and Washi Pink), but I still enjoyed it overall.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

if this is supposed to hype up the upcoming kishiryuu sentai, they failed really badly imo
that long ass boring attack sequence just killed my desire to watch it, not that i have any to begin with when i know its another dinosaur instead of dragon theme
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Was Ultimate Great Satan the final boss of Zyuranger?
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Blade »

Luka, still SEXY!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Dengar wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 am Was Ultimate Great Satan the final boss of Zyuranger?
Dai-Satan was the ultimate villain, the one who gave Bandora her power, but it was her son Kai in a giant robot that was the final villain to face.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Binged through this today and overall, I liked it. It had issues but, it seemed like someone on staff was trying at least. While it was far from my favorite Sentai teamup, I wouldn't say it was the worst. Kind of a shame we can't get 10 more episodes of this instead of Ryusoulger but what'cha gonna do?

Also, Marvelous and Luka are totally dating.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm Also, Marvelous and Luka are totally dating.
I'm not 100% certain because Japanese doesn't distinguish singular and plural nouns but after the fact, I think perhaps we should've used "Your treasure is your friend." Singular.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Oh, I see. Anything regarding it in the Japanese whizzed right by me, I was mostly just basing my thoughts on how... well, I can't imagine many people would react to their teammate shooting them with a "Heh, I knew you'd do that" if there wasn't something going on. :lol: And yeah, their ending.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

This was a fun and nostalgic ride and I'm impressed that they managed to fit in as many cast members as they did. It seemed like they were having fun in their roles again. I hope we get more of these kinds of side stores in the future. Also it was a great excuse to not have some of the older characters appear by having Marvelous go and borrow their powers.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I really loved this entire month-long special. I went in with the simplest of expectations and got exactly what I wanted and more. I think every character got to do something cool or notable, including the actors who only returned for a single episode. Luka in particular was really great in this finale, and I loved the others being confused by her and Marvelous displaying their bond in their own piratey way.

The big final fight was decent, though it was surprising how quickly the Super Forms got stomped. Maybe not a bad thing because I hate that combination animal form. Also, I admit that seeing the big football attack again put a big stupid smile on my face.

The Ryusoulgers do the typical thing of showing up and showing off, a lot like scenes we used to have in VS movies where the next team cameos. It was simple but worked fine enough. I think it goes without saying that sometime into their own show, those sound effects are going to be cut down significantly like in Ex-Aid.

All in all, this whole thing rocked and I wouldn't mind seeing something like it again sometime down the line.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

To me, this felt like the weakest episode of the series. Yeah, it sort of wrapped everything up. But it also didn't do anything particularly well.

We actually got Luka, in the flesh...
Who was off doing her own thing half the time.

We got a big bad in Dai Satan...
But he was literally big, so it wasn't much of a real fight.

A ToQ girl finally got to properly use ToQ Rainbow after 5 years...
And was promptly knocked out of it.

Rita threw her wand and made the ground split...
But her backstory apparently doesn't have anything to do with the series the writers were drawing inspiration from.

Some Ryusoulgers showed up and fought...
And most of their screen time was calling out their attacks.

GokaiGalleon showed up...
But we didn't get an actual, proper robo.

The heroes got a piece of the wish stone after all...
But we don't actually get to see how that turned out.

Etc, etc.

Admittedly I didn't come into this series with high expectations. It's basically glorified filler with a nostalgia shine. But outside of the proper battles (Sakamoto's stunt choreography remains second to none), it didn't really do anything impressive. If not for the need to have distinct chapters so that it could be aired as a 4 part special, this may as well have been one of a dozen Toei nostalgia movies (shot on a slightly lower budget). Lots of cameos and explosions, but also a plot that just doesn't seem all that consequential.

On a side note, I was thinking to myself "damn, it looks cold there" while everyone was outdoors. Then I saw the photos Takenoko posted. Yep, it was cold.:o
Did Takaharu have to leave early or something? Why does he get flowers and then disappears for the rest of the shots. Is that why he’s the one who got possessed first?
It sure seems that way. He was also absent from the group for the entire length of episode 3. His actor must be busy doing something else as well?
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 pm What's with the audio between Stinger and Yamato? It's like they tried to add reverb but it sounds terrible and low quality.
I noticed that as well. It looks like Rita's palace was all green-screened. So I guess they were using audio filters to try to make it sound like a real marble hall?
Kind of an okay final boss fight. I would have rather had traded the time to see more Sentai guys beating each other up.
More Sentai guys beating each other up (where's the Bracket B team?!), more Sentai guys beating up monsters, etc. The problem with a CGI fight is that you can't do anything any kind of cool hand-to-hand action, because the combatants aren't actually engaging each other. The CGI work on Ultimate Dai Satan was interesting though; it didn't clearly look like either a suit nor CGI. I'm thinking maybe they had a guy in a suit, and then CGI enhanced it?
Guess the real highlight was our final sentai guest star, Luka. She did things particularly befitting her character and it was the best part of this episode.
I tend to agree with this. Mao is a fun actress. But I'm not sure what it says for the series itself if a non-regular was the best part?
Edit:
Well fuck me, looks like they announced a director's cut. Give me more me hearties. Arrrr.
Interesting. It's been quite a while since we've had a DC of anything Sentai-related. It should be fun to see what it includes. I don't expect anything that changes the major plot points of the series, but perhaps there will be another fight or two?
Sinkuu wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:58 am tell me that wasn't bandora.

TELL ME THAT WASN'T BANDORA.
Weren't you paying attention? They outright told us that was Rita, not Bandona. :P

In all seriousness though, I don't get the impression that she's meant to be Bandoa. Just someone who happened to find heirlooms of Bandora's past, and opted to use them to fill her own desires. (Sidenote: what is it with Stinger always going after the bad girls? :lol: )
Lunagel wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:56 pm
Go-On Macaroni wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm Also, Marvelous and Luka are totally dating.
I'm not 100% certain because Japanese doesn't distinguish singular and plural nouns but after the fact, I think perhaps we should've used "Your treasure is your friend." Singular.
Purely my $0.02, but from a plot standpoint that feels like it would make more sense. In particularly it would better explain Marvelous's recklessness; this wasn't about the team, it was about a single person.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>On a side note, I was thinking to myself "damn, it looks cold there" while everyone was outdoors. Then I saw the photos Takenoko posted. Yep, it was cold.:o

Oh yeah, I saw all those coats but didn't really think about why everyone was wearing them. I guess everyone must have been pretty cold.

On a tangent, I'm thinking about starting a collection of photos of Sakamoto posing next to a pretty girl with a big thumbs up and a silly grin. I think it'd be fitting

>It sure seems that way. He was also absent from the group for the entire length of episode 3. His actor must be busy doing something else as well?

Toei probably wants to kick me for bringing up adult circumstances for a kid's show

> noticed that as well. It looks like Rita's palace was all green-screened. So I guess they were using audio filters to try to make it sound like a real marble hall?

Well the filter they used sounds like shit

>combatants aren't actually engaging each other. The CGI work on Ultimate Dai Satan was interesting though; it didn't clearly look like either a suit nor CGI. I'm thinking maybe they had a guy in a suit, and then CGI enhanced it?

I dunno, I assumed it was just a guy in the suit. But that'd explain why there's not a lot of close ups on him

>I tend to agree with this. Mao is a fun actress. But I'm not sure what it says for the series itself if a non-regular was the best part?

I mean, I also had fun seeing Yamato become the character that I wish he was in his original series. And Doggie VS Kagura was interesting too.

>Interesting. It's been quite a while since we've had a DC of anything Sentai-related.

*coughs* http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category:Director's_Cut
Looks like the only one we had was Go-Busters. Although I could easily have skipped something since we make the wiki ourselves, but DC tends to fall on Rider stuff more than Sentai stuff. (And even then, the last one was years ago, probably around when Toei figured out that the disc industry was dying off)

>I don't expect anything that changes the major plot points of the series, but perhaps there will be another fight or two?

I hope so
Sinkuu wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:58 am tell me that wasn't bandora.TELL ME THAT WASN'T BANDORA.
Weren't you paying attention? They outright told us that was Rita, not Bandona. :P

Hahahaa, yeah

>In all seriousness though, I don't get the impression that she's meant to be Bandoa. Just someone who happened to find heirlooms of Bandora's past, and opted to use them to fill her own desires. (Sidenote: what is it with Stinger always going after the bad girls? :lol: )

Yeah, it's sad that Rita's backstory has nothing to do with ZyuRangers. It's just a visual homage and a few name drops, but nothing more. Also, it feels like they should have had a fifth episode where the dinosaur warriors come and pass the baton off to the Ryusoulgers. The fact that ALL the dinosaur sentai members were absent felt like they were planning something, BUTTT didn't get around to doing it.

G reat, now I have that nakama line to look forward to arguing with luna about when the DC comes out.

Return to “Super Sentai Saikyou Battle”