Rider Time Shinobi 03 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Rider Time Shinobi 03 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

Fun and goofy. Doesn't overstay its welcome. There was no need to do Shinobi, but since they did, I'm glad they got it right where it counts.

Love the scene with the castle and the ninjas. I don't know if we need more Shinobi, but it certainly got me hyped for more.

Who predicted that the electric bill thing from episode one would come back to save the day in episode 3?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Rider Time Shinobi 03 released

Post by Lunagel »

I dunno, I was kinda irritated by this. First off, because there was really no reason to have Iroha be a princess? WTF was the point of that? Secondly, while it's kinda nice to put in all that extra background stuff, was it necessary? They're not going to continue this so it's just a lot of buildup for something that's never happening. I'd much prefer a more concise story without all the extra fluff for the non-series.
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

I personally liked this show, i'm really interested to see if they'll actually follow up on this later and have this be like... a prequel to next year's official season or something. If they DON'T follow up on this, then yeah there's a LOT of wasted time setting up future events never happening and i'd probably be kinda bitter about it. I'm a bit wary that the ending montage of all the possible future ninja riders was just concept art and not actual suits, but why would they spend so much time building to something that doesn't exist? even toei aren't THAT stupid right? i mean they don't foreshadow this much in their main rider show...
Spoiler
what with one of the main characters suddenly having amnesia for no reason with no previous hints
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I enjoyed that and wish it was longer. Honestly it was kind of pointless branding it as Rider time, given it's got basically nothing to do with Zi-O. I certainly liked it more than Ryuki, given this one actually made sense. I just wish Shinobi and Hattari would cut the side parts of their Drivers off so they don't look obviously based on the Ziku Driver. Certainly I now hope we get mini series for Quiz, Kikai
Spoiler
and Ginga.
Lunagel wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:24 pm I dunno, I was kinda irritated by this. First off, because there was really no reason to have Iroha be a princess? WTF was the point of that? Secondly, while it's kinda nice to put in all that extra background stuff, was it necessary? They're not going to continue this so it's just a lot of buildup for something that's never happening. I'd much prefer a more concise story without all the extra fluff for the non-series.
I agree that it's kind of annoying that this was basically a glimpse into a full show we're never going to see. Also annoying that in a show with only 3 main characters, the girl still doesn't get to be a Rider. At least one of those other 4 look like a girl though, so that's something.
KRDangerousZombie wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:03 pm I personally liked this show, i'm really interested to see if they'll actually follow up on this later and have this be like... a prequel to next year's official season or something. If they DON'T follow up on this, then yeah there's a LOT of wasted time setting up future events never happening and i'd probably be kinda bitter about it. I'm a bit wary that the ending montage of all the possible future ninja riders was just concept art and not actual suits, but why would they spend so much time building to something that doesn't exist? even toei aren't THAT stupid right? i mean they don't foreshadow this much in their main rider show...
Spoiler
what with one of the main characters suddenly having amnesia for no reason with no previous hints
This is 2022. Assuming a theoretical start in September, that would mean 3 more shows in between. Or if we assume it began in 2021, that's still 2 shows.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

I don't usually complain about stuff, I try to keep an open mind. but unless they make the show and explain how that guy saved Rentaro, it was a waste to produce it. especially if any of the three main characters end up dying. and that dark ninja. seriously? all that for a love-struck old man? *groan*
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I dunno. I'd agree with people that it's a waste of time if it were BAD like most of Toei's other spin off shows. But I thought this was genuinely a fun non-commital ninja show that had some moments that made me laugh. It's like a short story. You get a complete sub arc, and maybe it hints at some world building. That's fine, since not all short stories needs to be novels.

Yeah, the dark ninja just being an old pervert is goofy, but this is in a context of a world where the law is that everyone is a ninja for environmental reasons.

And I'd argue this has some of the best world building in a Toei show in the last five years. Think about how every part of the show is used. The environmental thing leads to the high electric bill to Iroha literally using ninjutsu to power the house to Shinobi using that to power up. Is there anything in Zi-O where even three parts of the world building are connected in any way like this?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I think we're more disappointed on a general level than with this spin-off in particular. It was kinda fun and with pretty good storytelling and therein lies the problem. It's proof that given some freedom, the writers *can* come up with an engaging story, interesting setting etc and yet *haven't* done so as often as they should in recent years. It's frustrating to see a one-off that no one asked for get so much effort when the main story has literally said "fuck u don't ask about the rules"
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:37 pm I think we're more disappointed on a general level than with this spin-off in particular. It was kinda fun and with pretty good storytelling and therein lies the problem. It's proof that given some freedom, the writers *can* come up with an engaging story, interesting setting etc and yet *haven't* done so as often as they should in recent years. It's frustrating to see a one-off that no one asked for get so much effort when the main story has literally said "fuck u don't ask about the rules"
It's definitely a shame that these (not even full length) 3 episodes seem to have had more thought put into them than the whole of Zi-O. Especially compared to Rider Time Ryuki, which was a crossover between 2 shows notorious for not explaining things. Granted it wasn't written by the normal Zi-O writer, it was written by a lady who wrote some Lupato episodes.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I didn't even check to see who the staff was. Looks like Shinobi was written by new writer Kaneko Kaori
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kaneko_Kaori

Her only other credit is she wrote 9 of 51 episodes of LVSP and Girlfriend's army, which I vaguely remember liking?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Mmm, looking at her LuPat episodes she tended to write kinda standard episodes ranging on the dull side. Also the badly done gender swap episode.
RangerJustify
Quote: Where there is life, there is the roar of justice.

Post by RangerJustify »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:24 pm I dunno, I was kinda irritated by this. First off, because there was really no reason to have Iroha be a princess? WTF was the point of that? Secondly, while it's kinda nice to put in all that extra background stuff, was it necessary? They're not going to continue this so it's just a lot of buildup for something that's never happening. I'd much prefer a more concise story without all the extra fluff for the non-series.
This is probably building up to another way to visit this story. The warriors on the castle were too big a tease to leave that money on the table. I predict a movie or Amazon prime series to wrap it all up.
RangerJustify
Quote: Where there is life, there is the roar of justice.

Post by RangerJustify »

HowlingSnail wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:24 pm This is 2022. Assuming a theoretical start in September, that would mean 3 more shows in between. Or if we assume it began in 2021, that's still 2 shows.
Remember... Different timeline! This was clearly stated to ensure viewers didn't expect to follow this story in 2022. I still think more media will be produced to continue following this timeline's story, though.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

i look forward to seeing more shinobi in 2022. i'm straight up loving that concept art.
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:37 pm I think we're more disappointed on a general level than with this spin-off in particular. It was kinda fun and with pretty good storytelling and therein lies the problem. It's proof that given some freedom, the writers *can* come up with an engaging story, interesting setting etc and yet *haven't* done so as often as they should in recent years. It's frustrating to see a one-off that no one asked for get so much effort when the main story has literally said "fuck u don't ask about the rules"
I agree completely. I don't even feel like it's "fuck u don't ask about the rules" anymore, it's full on "fuck u we make up the rules each episode" at this point. Some things ripple through time INSTANTLY as they happen and change the timeline in front of us as we're watching
Spoiler
Zi-O destroying his driver, taking Geiz's
other things just fix the immediate problem as if the problem has been solved and ignore how the problem should not have happened in the first place now the timeline has been changed
Spoiler
Another Fourze, Another Gaim
some things that SHOULD immediately ripple through time are treated as "all according to keikaku" and don't ripple, even after those events are EXPLICITLY STATED to have been caused from when the timeline is supposed to have changed drastically
Spoiler
Geiz Revive, Zi-O Trinity
....It's a complete mess and that's not even getting into how Ridewatches function. I think if we weren't watching Zi-O to contrast, we wouldn't have any issue with Shinobi cause it's just a really fun little distraction.
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

hey, did anyone else get a Naruto feel during the battle when Shinobi used the kage bushin? because that looked a lot like the Naruto Uzumaki 2K Barrage with swords

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”