Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Sentai Saikyou Battle 90's

Post by takenoko »

I've only seen ZyuRanger, DaiRanger, and MegaRanger from this list. Mega's an easy first, it's just fun and a great Sentai series on so many levels. I also really like Dai simply because it's so weird.

I watched Zyu, but I can't say I think it was very good, when not looking at it through Power Rangers nostalgia glasses. I don't want to take up a spot that should go to a different series so I'll abstain from my third vote.
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

I haven't seen all of these either, but I chose 3 I have seen: Megaranger, Jetman, and Dairanger. I agree that Megaranger was really good. The team worked well together and they were willing to sacrifice everything to do what they needed to. Dairanger had great choreography and I just think they kick butt. Jetman, while many may say is overrated, really is good. The team was sort of chosen randomly (4 out of 5 anyway), all from different walks of life, and had to work together to be a team. There was personal drama between them as well, and a lot of emotional turns. The villains also had a lot of personality, and one of them is probably the moth ruthless Sentai villain ever (at least from what I've seen), which makes for a great enemy. Just good stuff! I was tempted to choose Carranger because I think I will really enjoy its zaniness, but in the end I didn't.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Jetman got too much romantic dramas (and there's a kiss scene for red and his ex girlfriend too, WOW) so it's mostly different than the usual Sentai tradition of fillers that involved the bonding between the members. Ohranger is probably the best one I like among the 90s Sentai, so many robots and toys (Ohranger Robo, Red Puncher, Tackle Boy, and the Oh Blockers). Carranger, well maybe I can handle it somewhat somehow but it is pure comedy as a whole. Megaranger is something I say Que Bom? Just a bit of hate is for the fact that the entire school and people just turn their backs on them simply because they bring danger, while forgetting that those same teenagers risked their lives and future to protect the people there. I might also hate this part in Zyuranger as well when people simply turn their backs on the heroes.
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

Jetman and Megaranger all the way
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

I was watching Fiveman and got bored about halfway through and just watched the last few episodes.
By contrast, I watched Jetman in about a week and absolutely loved it. Definitely in the top 5 for me.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman - Sigh. There's good in this show with Remi's episodes and episode 39 but otherwise, it's just a waste, man. Hirohisa Soda was quite burnt out and it's really no surprise it almost killed Sentai..

Choujin Sentai Jetman - Sentai's Jdrama. That's a compliment though because for better or worse the love triangles and Gai effin' Yuuki really help it stand out. Toshiki Inoue kicked this show to its current trendy status and while I didn't agree with every choice it made, I'm fond of it.

Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger - Indifferent. There's good to it and the franchise definitely needed a shake-up like it but I also just think it's kinda odd to watch more than a few at a time.

Gosei Sentai DaiRanger - Gets strange as hell sometimes but the action makes up for it and Keiichi Wada owned being a Red (with the awesome Naoki Oofuji as his suit actor) to where I'm thankful he wasn't stuck being yellow. Urgh.

Ninja Sentai Kakuranger - Good show. Kenichi Endo does great as Prince Junior and the youkai plots are crazy and fun. Jiraiya gets hooked on a TV show so he boxes a youkai? Sure. Daimaoh makes a copy of himself to where Sasuke has to rescue the gang? Sure. Neither would seem out of place in that show, for the better.

Chouriki Sentai OhRanger - Sigh. Another one I want to like but it just gets too up itself at points. And yes, I know why but it still bites trying to enjoy the show and you just get tossed trash like Gunmajin to eat up screentime. The casting was good, though. Hiroshi Miyauchi ruled as the team mentor.

Gekisou Sentai CarRanger - Love this show-dappu. A sendup to everything Sentai had been up until then and it does so with heart-dappu. Worth watching with a glass of coffee milk-dappu.

Denji Sentai MegaRanger - I need to rewatch this one in full but I remember liking it. While it aged weirdly, the idea of basing it off the advent of technology was an interesting choice and the Core 5 heroes were fun.

Seijyu Sentai Gingaman - A show that I grew to appreciate. The storybook and the "Ashita no Legend" vibe helped set it apart from others.

Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGo V - The practical effects in this show are so gorgeous, zomg! *ahem*. I like this show and the whole dueling families deal it had going on
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Jetman and DaiRangers are probably the best two equally, but for different reasons. Despite being two years apart, Jetman still feels like an older Sentai Show while DaiRanger follows Zyu and breaks away from some super common tropes.

KakuRanger gets my third vote. Is was tough between this and CarRanger but I love KakuRanger when it gets serious.
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Blackcondorguy »

Dai is an obvious win for me. I love that show, it has such personality.
Jetman is a piece of sentai history and helped the franchise evolve, so it deserves a vote too.
My last vote went to Kakuranger, which was an excellent series with a lot of character work.

Ginga, Mega and GogoV were all good series in their own right with likeable characters and satisfying plots.
Carranger is completely unique, but it's just a comedy series, even if it's a good one.
Zyuranger was all in all just ok
Ohranger and Fiveman could have been good if they didn't leave aside their dark tone after some episodes in. Fiveman ended up being the worst sentai series up to that point.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Gingaman and GoGoV, the first head-work of Kobayashi and second head-work of Takegami Junki in Sentai. These Sentai has good cast, emotional story and many remembered moments.

I prefer GoGoV is best work of Junki, above Megaranger, Gaoranger and Go-Onger.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

90s poll results
Gosei Sentai DaiRanger 22 votes 24%
Denji Sentai MegaRanger 21 votes 23%
Choujin Sentai Jetman 17 votes 18%

Kind of surprised ZyuRanger or Kakuranger or OhRanger or GoGo V weren't higher on this list. I haven't seen Kakuranger or GoGo V, but they seem pretty cool. And ZyuRanger is obviously the thing that made Power Rangers a thing.

Return to “Sentai”