Rider Time Ryuki 03 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Rider Time Ryuki 03 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki

Alt title: And Ryuki gets another alternate ending (that might also be bad?)

Like on a structural level, the filming and acting was all great. But the story? How many unsatisfying endings to Ryuki do there need to be? Is it just because of the way Ryuki is set up as a story that prevents it from having a satisfying ending?

So as people thought, Gorou was faking it. He takes his big chance to kill Asakura, and fails to do it (but at least he dies thinking that he did).

So Asakura lives to kill Ren, only to succumb from his previous wounds seconds later.

Oh, also that one new guy got eaten by Monsters, because why not. Did the Timejackers bring Kanzaki Shirou back to life? How did Sara get the power to trap all the Riders in the Mirror World?

Wait, so Ren really is dead? Wait, how long has he been dead? Why is Eri wearing both their rings? It feels like I missed something, and that's really unsatisfying. It's really too bad since there's a lot of stuff that is good and does work.

I just feel like Inoue Toshiki is just too cynical to be the one to end this story. If you step back, Tatsuya kills a bunch of people to save no one, Sara kills a bunch of Riders to prevent Tatsuya from saving her (maybe Shinji's appearance spares some civilians that would have otherwise died), and Kanzaki Shirou doesn't get what he wants either. Eri's a widow. And Shinji is left alive to ponder the meaningless of war.

You know the Trolley Problem? It sort of feels like Sougo, Geiz, and Kido are on one track and everyone else is on the other, and the person on the switch says "You three, you're the protagonists, you'll live. The rest of you, you're gonna die." and that was all there was to it.

I like a sad ending or a Pyrrhic victory, but it has to be earned. And I don't think Inoue is good enough a writer to get there. I kind of wish they had Inoue set up the story, then brought in Kobayashi to write the ending. Inoue is "wouldn't it be dark if people died". Kobayashi is "sacrifice is necessary, but it's to an ends". No one walks away from this story happy, and it's kind of too bad. You survive the events of Ryuki only to randomly die from the same circumstances 17 years later.

Like the stuff between Shinji and Ren, that's the heart of Ryuki, and they get that part so right. But it feels like in the rush to get to that big scene, they didn't put as much thought into how the other characters would end up.

The stuff with Zi-O and Geiz is okay, but what exactly is going on here?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Rider Time Ryuki 03 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

I imagine somehow when the Timejackers created Another Ryuki in 2002 that it allow Shirou to restart the Battle Royale in 2019. Also did the Timejackers basically forced a Ride Watch into a preteen Tatsuya and waited 17 years for him to use the power to try to save Sara? I imagine the Ride Watch insertion conversation was weird.

*Insert Favorite Timejacker Here* - In 17 years in the future, you will cause an accident that almost kills a girl. In that guilt, you fall in love with her but eventually she dies because of injuries from the accident. But I change the future by giving you this watch.

Preteen Tatsuya - WHATTTTTTTTTTT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got to see an actual Odin Henshin along with the three Survive Cards all line up in the specter.

I also find it funny that Shinji just peaces out of the fight against Another Ryuki. "Hey guys, you got this. Peace!"
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Alas, a bittersweet ending while Sougo has obtained the Demon King's 3rd Ride Watch. Though more bitter in that no one can use that card to reset everything unlike before. Unless the young king does something to the timeline...

It's alright but Inoue did not win a home run with this one.

I blame Schwartz. He may not be in this miniseries but his ulterior motive to get Sougo to defeat Another Ryuki as one of the steps to become the Demon King is active.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

Asakura's Card Deck has no cards when he raises his Deck and transforms into Ouja. Does anybody notice this production error?

It's a pity for losing actress Tsunogae Kazue who played Kanzaki Yui's aunt on Ryuki, she passed away last year on October.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

She was also Priest Gara from the Garo Beast of the White Night Special.

It looks like there are cards in the deck, unless there's a second transformation? What's the time stamp
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

Asakura raises his Card Deck at 05:10. You can clearly see the hole of the Deck.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

So does this special establish that the TV ending is the canon one? Though it still leaves questions.

At a guess, in the reversed timeline, the Rider Battle still ended up happening, but with different participants (Hence the different Scissors, Imperer, Tiger and Verde). Of course, anyone's guess who won, unless it was no-one, and the last 2 wiped each-other out. Seems like Odin still wanted to revive Yui even though the Kanzakis decided against it.

Although Eri was alive, so did Ren win again? But I took the rings thing to mean they were married in this timeline. So maybe the Rider battle didn't take place in this universe? Or it did, but much later, so Eri was never injured?

To add to the confusion, Another Ryuki says 2002 when he's quite clearly a recent creation.

I enjoyed the special, but it didn't do anywhere near enough to answer questions. I wanted an explanation for all the Ryuki Rider appearances since the show ended.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I do still ultimately like RIder Time Ryuki as a nostalgic revisit to this old show that's dear to my heart... But the story definitely could have been a lot tighter. Or heck, even individual scenes feel kind of off in this one. From a narrative standpoint, it's just bad to have Gorou's big moment be invalidated and also have Asakura illogically survive for juuuuust long enough to kill Ren. Now, Ren sacrificing himself to save Shinji, a reverse of what happened in the show, sounds good on paper, but how it happened felt too contrived for me to get into it. I honestly would have preferred if a monster just stabbed him like in the series.

I don't even want to think about the logic behind Kanzaki. They are heavily implying it is him as Odin, but there's no warping of either Ryuki's or Zi-O's messy rules where I can even pretend it makes sense. But if he was going to be here, I really wished they let Ryuki be the one to beat him! Let Zi-O handle the Another Rider, that's expected, but the original final villain should be taken down by our original lead character. It would have a pretty perfect callback to how Knight was the one who beat Odin last time!

That's not even getting into how the whole premise for this is rather shaky to begin with. I'm pretty sure most if not all of the riders brought to this new fight were living peaceful lives, and now all but one of them is dead because of Sara. She's clearly the biggest villain here!

I did say I liked this special right? I did, but it just needed some tweaks to also be a decent story in it's own right too.
HowlingSnail wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:45 pm I enjoyed the special, but it didn't do anywhere near enough to answer questions. I wanted an explanation for all the Ryuki Rider appearances since the show ended.
I can give you one. Crossovers are only as canon as you want them to be.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The first two episode were great. This one not so much. I felt the end of the Ryuki conflict was a little bloated with Asakura coming back and then dying again. Nice mirror of the main series with Ren dying and Shinji surviving.

The problem is that it negates the point of the main series with everyone being given a second chance. Ren had it best because Darkwing never existed to put his fiancé into a coma and therefore when time was rewound he was all good, but now he's dead and she's none the wiser.

Was kind of hoping that Ryuki would go survive and kill Odin in a mirror of the end of the main series, but I guess it is a Zi-O spin off at its core so the main riders need time to shine.

Overall, the series was much better than I thought initially, but I am a little gutted about the ending being lacking.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Seems like Odin still wanted to revive Yui even though the Kanzakis decided against it.

Question, do we think Kanzaki Shirou is Odin? It feels like the stand-in they had was dressed like Kanzaki.

>Although Eri was alive, so did Ren win again? But I took the rings thing to mean they were married in this timeline.

That's the confusing thing. If this is the TV ending, did they all die? Why does Shinji need to be brought back to life by Sara? And if you notice, Eri is wearing both rings, like Ren has been dead a long time. Why would Ren ask Shinji to check on Eri WITHOUT TELLING HER HE'S DEAD if he's newly dead?

>I enjoyed the special, but it didn't do anywhere near enough to answer questions. I wanted an explanation for all the Ryuki Rider appearances since the show ended.

Like you did so many things right to do this Ryuki special, but fumbled the last third. It's a pity.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

takenoko wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:07 pm >Seems like Odin still wanted to revive Yui even though the Kanzakis decided against it.

Question, do we think Kanzaki Shirou is Odin? It feels like the stand-in they had was dressed like Kanzaki.
It's definitely the intention for us to believe it's him, considering he says Yui's name. Not meant to be more than one last bit of fanservice, though still a bit fumbled.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I din't notice Eri had both rings.

Now it makes even less sense.
Izanagi_Izanami12345
Gao
Favorite series: Toqger + Shinkenger + Lupat + Gaim + Hibiki 1st Part
2nd Favorite Series: W + Build + Kyoryuger + Gobuster + GARO
Favorite Band: It changes over time, but the longest I like was Paramore
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by Izanagi_Izanami12345 »

Wow, this spin off was really a nostalgia fest. I enjoyed it. Though it definitely had some changes and some directions that were questionable but overall it some-sort gave us a closure to the story. I also want to address several points.

1. Tezuka and Gai were okay I guess, not bothering me that much, it was just out of nowhere, and who Toei tried to cater with that and did it work ? hmm....
2. The new actors for already existing riders were okay because they basically were just stand-ins (for Scissors, Tiger, and Imperer, Abyss and Verde were not actually in the main series. Also where the hell Takaiwa Seiji went to lol)
3. I still don't understand why Sara collected the original Riders and started the 7 days war, what is the correlation of that with stopping Tatsuya in the real world.
4. I guess Kanzaki showed up again because of the creation of Another Ryuki (or Ryuga, i'm not sure which started first) created back the mirror world which allowed him to return. I think one of Timejackers created Another Ryuki but was taken over by Kanzaki, and he's the one who manipulate Tetsuya into his killing spree that supposed to save Sara, as for Kanzaki it's to save Yui. At least that's my take on that.
5. As for Eri, as she never went dying, I think she and Ren's relationship just didn't work out, but still love each others, therefore Ren thought about her before he died and Eri wear the two rings, or maybe it worked out and Eri just wear the two rings by herself, or maybe it didn't work after all because Ren was SECRETLY IN LOVE WITH SHINJI !! HARR DUR DUR DUR !!!!
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

To be fair I don't think it's any worse of a mess than the narrative of the original Ryuki.

I know Shiro Kanzaki was involved with some weird science stuff but they still did a poor job explaining how he was able to give rider powers to people. So not explaining how he exists once more to restart the game to save someone who has been dead for years now is.... Well okay I guess it's a little worse than the narrative of the original Ryuki but not by much.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't think that's a fair comparison. There's a difference between Rider tech which isn't story relevant, and explaining how Sara's stuff is related to stopping her boyfriend. At least the original story had the explanation of Kanzaki having the Rider Battle in order to choose whose life to give to Yui.

We don't know how Sara kidnapped the Riders, why she needs only one of them to stop Tatsuya, why some of them were Riders from the past, etc. etc. I know it's just three episodes, but that doesn't mean some of these criticisms of the story aren't relevant or true. I still think it's a really good remake of Ryuki as a series, but there's definitely a few things that I can't help but feel let down by, especially the ending and the explanation for the story.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”