KR Zi-O 34 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun May 19, 2019 11:24 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
15%
☆☆☆☆
23%
☆☆☆
23%
☆☆
15%
23%

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 34 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 3.91 / 5 (11 votes)

Alt Title: It's no Hibiki World from Decade

Props to kid Sougo's actor. You can see him trying to throw in some Sougo mannerisms.

But overall kind of a phoned-in episode. They got Todoroki and Kiriya, but they really don't do anything interesting, despite their plentiful screen time. The story's a mess, I'm not even really sure what the moral of the episode was supposed to be. Don't give up? Work hard? Don't take in little kids while using a fake name? No wait, the episode says that's a good thing.

Sad to say, but it seems like since people didn't care about the show originally, they didn't put in any effort here. Which is too bad since they showed that it didn't have to be this way on Decade. It's the same plot about a pupil taking over for the master, but it's so much more emotional and meaningfully done in the Decade version. I mean, you can say that about a lot of Zi-O stuff, but it feels especially pointed here.

To go into it in more detail, think about the story. It only "works" because Kiriya is essentially stuck in time. He's still a shitty, arrogant, rude brat, despite the fact that he's been an Oni since 2006. Arrested development is a thing, but are you saying he learned nothing in 13 years?

The ending feels bad because it doesn't look like a master with his pupil. It looks like two peers who aren't that different from age from each other. Kiriya barely has a character arc, and honestly, do we really think he's matured enough to give a kid or younger man the stability needed to be a father figure? Not to mention that Kiriya lies and uses the name Hibiki to impress kids. Ugh, this episode just sucks.

"I wasn't able to be like my master Hibiki-san. That's all."
I said it before in episode one, but I don't know if it's a lack of imagination or just laziness, but man is that lazy writing. There's a total lack of any sort of specificity.

Preview:
Spoiler
What you got Zanki back for the Kiva episode, but not the Hibiki one??? What timing...

Everyone prepare for a collective forehead slap, Inoue writes the next episode.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: KR Zi-O 34 released

Post by windfall »

Definitely not as good as the Hibiki episodes from Decade. I still don't like Kiriya, so I'm glad this is over and we can move on with our lives.

The reactions from Geiz and Woz were great when Sougo went right to trinity.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Nothing can top Giant Enemy Crab, sadly.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

At least it seems Kiriya was only Hibiki temporarily, via the Ride Watch. He's still only Kamen Rider Kyoki, which is for the best. A shame they still refuse to use that name, even though I'm fairly sure magazine scans for the episodes actually called him that.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I think that it is kind of consistent with Kiraya's character to still be an obnoxious spoiled brat after 13 years. He's 13 years older but not 13 years better.

Too bad that Kamen Riders don't have signature colors like in super sentai. Then Sougo-chan could have been wearing that color like Umika-chan wore yellow in the LvsP flashback.

Too bad that the show's budget seems to be low. The Oni carried around their Onshikigami but never used them.

Rejoice! For a new chapter of The Melancholy of Shougo Tokiwa is here. The SOS is faced with a new challenge that they might be a Decade too early to meet. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13233129/4 ... ugo-Tokiwa
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It is an absolute travesty, TRAVESTY I SAY, that the birthday episode wasn't given to OOO. Get cake man back just for the one line please!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by resop2 »

^
But, if they use Den-O for the episode that Sougo becomes Oma Zi-O he can sing happy birthday then.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm At least it seems Kiriya was only Hibiki temporarily, via the Ride Watch. He's still only Kamen Rider Kyoki, which is for the best. A shame they still refuse to use that name, even though I'm fairly sure magazine scans for the episodes actually called him that.
I can't recall ever seeing that. I've only ever seen them refer to his oni form as "Kyousuke's unnamed oni form".
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

Heads-up: Front Page says Ep. 33 and not 34.
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well, that was an unimpressive ending to an unimpressive arc. It didn't do any worse than part 1, in that respect, but it also didn't do anything better. So it wasn't a bad episode, but whatever the writers were going for, it definitely fell short of the mark. Which I suppose is unfortunate, since this is the first episode of the Reiwa era.

Speaking of disappointments: Geiz, you have super speed! Go chase that monster! Seriously, that was Wizard levels of letting the MOTW run away and not give chase.

Also, since Sougo failed to put out all of his candles in a single blow, does that mean he doesn't get his wish to become king now? :P
Dengar wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:21 pm Nothing can top Giant Enemy Crab, sadly.
I beg to differ. Butter! You can totally top Giant Enemy Crab with delicious, delicious butter. :lol:
Lunagel wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 pm It is an absolute travesty, TRAVESTY I SAY, that the birthday episode wasn't given to OOO. Get cake man back just for the one line please!
That admittedly would be nice. Though is he even still acting?
takenoko wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:24 pm Sad to say, but it seems like since people didn't care about the show originally, they didn't put in any effort here.
I don't know if it was a lack of effort. I've seen no-effort episodes and this wasn't one of them. But whatever they were going for, it definitely didn't work, unfortunately. :oops:
Spoiler
Everyone prepare for a collective forehead slap, Inoue writes the next episode.
Spoiler
Oh lord...
Last edited by ViRGE on Fri May 10, 2019 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:27 am
Lunagel wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:51 pm It is an absolute travesty, TRAVESTY I SAY, that the birthday episode wasn't given to OOO. Get cake man back just for the one line please!
That admittedly would be nice. Though is he even still acting?
Oh heck yeah, I just saw him in a bit part on an NHK drama
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by resop2 »

I think they should rename the character Kamen Rider Zi-O as Kamen Rider Alfred E. Neuman.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

Highlight of the episode for me:

CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

While not as good as the Agito arc, at least it was better than the first arc of tribute episodes.

Still doesn't top the Decade Hibiki arc, but mostly because that crab battle song attack was fantastic.

Preview
Spoiler
I like how they get Sugita to voice Ginga in the Kiva arc considering he voiced Kivat
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:51 pm
HowlingSnail wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm At least it seems Kiriya was only Hibiki temporarily, via the Ride Watch. He's still only Kamen Rider Kyoki, which is for the best. A shame they still refuse to use that name, even though I'm fairly sure magazine scans for the episodes actually called him that.
I can't recall ever seeing that. I've only ever seen them refer to his oni form as "Kyousuke's unnamed oni form".
I believe it was used in stage shows and things, but I'm like 95% sure I saw the name Kamen Rider Kyoki in the magazine scans advertising the episodes.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”