Ryusoulger 08 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 pm

★★★★★
9%
★★★★
55%
★★★
9%
★★
18%
9%

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 08 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 3.7 / 5 (10 votes)

Alt Title: Tanaka Reina is cute

I enjoyed this episode besides a few dumb spots. Here's a list!
1) They have a great moment, then they pause everything for core trio to laugh and fist bump with the two new guys. You guys have been fighting together for almost a month now, get over yourselves already.
2) The Ryusoulgers have this great plan to deceive the bad guy. Then before they get the hostage back, they almost instantaneous reveal it was a rouse. Like literally seconds after blowing up fake Kishiryuu-Oh they give up the con. What the fuck was the point???
3) So the Ryusoulgers use their brains to beat the monster, knowing what they know about Pheeta. But wait. That Pheeta was Wiseau in disguise. So he wouldn't have an allergy to singing. So what's the deal with that?
4) Green jumping into the monster, pausing in the middle of the explosion to ask if Pheeta is okay. Not waiting for an answer, because why the fuck would he. And then getting her out of there. You're not Quicksilver here, grab the woman and haul ass.

But the rest of the episode was fun. I enjoyed Asuna being the butt of a bad singing joke. It felt very old school sentai to me.

Not sure what the deal was with all the bad interruptions to the pacing.

Why Cepheus? If we want to go with a story about a girl trapped by a monster, wouldn't Andromeda have made more sense?

Red is still a dummy. He literally would have let Tyramigo explode if the others had let him. Blue as the smart guy of the group is starting to take shape, so it's nice to see him get some characterization. I mean, he's done smart things in the past, but it was never obvious whether blue was smart compared to red, or just smart in general... So having more characters to act as contrasts helps.

And it looks like we'll get a blue-focused character episode next week. So I'm looking forward to that.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Re: Ryusoulger 08 released

Post by SacredCultivator »

I still can't quite like Red's character, he's just too... I don't quite know what the word is that I'm looking for, but it's hard to actually like him is all I can say.

And overall, it seems they have a Soul / answer to every given situation to the point of, "Why are they struggling?" just take out the appropriate tool for a given task and win.

I guess for me, I just feel that there shouldn't be as many "struggles" as they formulate to provide conflict.

We need to sneak past guards... Bam, we can go invisible. Just open with that in every fight, and if the enemy can de-cloak them, there'll always be another answer in which they can use to counter. It's not like other series where they are given/ find new skills to use, thus far it seems like they already have them, and only pull them out when the situation calls for it.

Again< I don't know if that's just me that feels that way.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:26 pm4) Green jumping into the monster, pausing in the middle of the explosion to ask if Pheeta is okay. Not waiting for an answer, because why the fuck would he. And then getting her out of there. You're not Quicksilver here, grab the woman and haul ass.
Lol

I enjoyed this episode and somehow I didn't find it weird like last week that two strangers from space are interacting with the Ryusoulgers.

"How naïve can you be?" Spot on, Bamba. What was Koh planning on doing before Melto suggested his plan? I'm indifferent to Koh so far. You can take him out and it wouldn't make much difference.

Really enjoying the small bits of development Melto is getting and
Spoiler
I'm looking forward to next week.
Asuna's scenes are always funny and enjoyable. The signing one in this episode reminded me of a similar ep in Go-onger with the G3 Princess song.

I'm glad they still haven't introduced a new mecha or random power-up for KishiryuOh; it gives Five Knights time to shine.

Where was Creon in this ep? Wizul is still nuts, I'm looking forward to seeing his sneaky tactics in the future.

Also some superb piece of OST in this ep - when the Ryusoulgers appear to Wizul on the rooftop.
Behold the Emperor!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So they can endlessly duplicate themselves and the robots? Surely this would come in handy all the time?

At least this new general has more of a presence than the last one. More of a personality as well.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I kind of feel like they blew all their energy on the first part here. This second part wasn't to the same level in terms of action; the giant robot fight in particular was all but absent. And the pacing was definitely a bit off due to just how much talking/exposition there was. It was still an enjoyable episode, but not as strong as last week's.

I'm still somewhat at a loss for the answer to last week's question of "why a two-parter now?" Nothing in this episode really helped to answer that question. We had a new general, but those are fairly disposable. And no new toys were introduced to hock. So in absence of anything else, I guess it was just something they did for the Heisei/Reiwa transition? That's the best explanation I have, at least.

And just let me say that I'm terribly disappointed in Bamba. Not only did he not threaten to kill someone this episode, but he promised not to kill them. Come on man, we're counting on you to solve the problem once and for all! :P

As for the action, even if it wasn't very high octane this episode, I do have to give the stunties credit for one thing: it's legitimately impressive to see a guy wearing a 40lb foam-rubber suit do a body roll and land on his feet.:o That must have taken a lot of skill, and a lot of strength.
takenoko wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:26 pm 4) Green jumping into the monster, pausing in the middle of the explosion to ask if Pheeta is okay. Not waiting for an answer, because why the fuck would he. And then getting her out of there. You're not Quicksilver here, grab the woman and haul ass.
I got a good laugh out of that, too. The monster she's standing in is exploding. Don't stop to ask if she's okay. In a second, she definitely won't be! :lol:
SacredCultivator wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 am I still can't quite like Red's character, he's just too... I don't quite know what the word is that I'm looking for, but it's hard to actually like him is all I can say.
I wish he was smarter. He's thankfully nowhere near as bad as Lucky or Takeru, but he's also not the sharpest tool in the shed. More than anything, I'd just like to see a Red on the level of Gokai, Bouken, or Shinken Red; a competent leader who can (usually) stay calm and collected.
Catastrophe wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:49 am So they can endlessly duplicate themselves and the robots? Surely this would come in handy all the time?
It's the Gemini problem from Kyuuranger. If you can just keep duplicating things and spam to win, why not do it all the time? Sentai, of course, will completely ignore the issue. So at least they're being consistent.
kevinlafriday
Infinity

Post by kevinlafriday »

Look's like I'll have to bear with this Takaharu-Lucky-mix character for this season.
The only enjoyable character of this show is the black ranger, who shows acceptable decency of how a normal person's logic should work.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Black is an early Heisei Sentai team member in the Reiwa era. He's serious and stoic without coming across like a Sasuke type.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

i still want to kill whoever came up with the concept for this sentai
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

It's too bad that they used those two girls this early in the season. Since they are not using a female "Monster Grower" general, how cool would it have been if they had came along halfway through the season as the secondary villain team? They could have been similar to the Black Beauty Sisters from Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, monsters who could incapacitate the heroes with their singing who use their MOTW's as a set up to lure the heroes in. Clearly, both of them could have easily handled being creepy heels. Also, they could be defeated by Asuna's bad singing, or have Asuna not be able to defeat them at first so she would have to Rocky montage over several episodes before she could defeat them. But instead, they return us to the regularly scheduled sausage-fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhJKSmhAi-4
takenoko wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:26 pm Alt Title: Tanaka Reina is cute
On twitter she has been posting TicTok videos that she has done that have been pretty hilarious.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Aeikozz wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 12:28 pm i still want to kill whoever came up with the concept for this sentai
You want to kill ZyuRangers?!
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

I prefer if you kill the stupid reds like Lucky and Takaharu, not the actors but just the characters.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Overall, Melto's character seems to be treated a little better here than he was in prior episodes, but maybe that's because there was basically nothing defining him earlier. With that said, this feels like the second episode (after #3) where it feels like human life having value should be part of an argument/dilemma but isn't.

On top of that, the Ryuusoulgers' way of getting by the energy core issue felt really contrived. Having a gadget for just about anything starts to feel like plot armor, and the cloning issue raises an extraordinary number of issues, in terms of plot and morality--why not use FueSoul as often as you want and have infinite soldiers to fight the druidons? Were the Ryuusoulger clones controlled by a shared consciousness or were they independent people? (And, if the latter, were they okay with getting blown up?) And, for those really inclined to overthink things, what if some of the real Ryuusoulgers volunteered to go so some of the survivors are clones and we'd never even know for the rest of the series? (Also it seems kinda weird to have a slow-motion fist bump/high five sequence when the druidon's right next to them.)
SacredCultivator wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 amAnd overall, it seems they have a Soul / answer to every given situation to the point of, "Why are they struggling?" just take out the appropriate tool for a given task and win.
Yeah, I also feel that way. I think they need a set list of 8-12 ryuusouls/abilities and go from there, because as it is the tools feel like a McGuffin/deus ex machina.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Mxylv wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:29 pm On top of that, the Ryuusoulgers' way of getting by the energy core issue felt really contrived. Having a gadget for just about anything starts to feel like plot armor, and the cloning issue raises an extraordinary number of issues, in terms of plot and morality--why not use FueSoul as often as you want and have infinite soldiers to fight the druidons? Were the Ryuusoulger clones controlled by a shared consciousness or were they independent people? (And, if the latter, were they okay with getting blown up?) And, for those really inclined to overthink things, what if some of the real Ryuusoulgers volunteered to go so some of the survivors are clones and we'd never even know for the rest of the series? (Also it seems kinda weird to have a slow-motion fist bump/high five sequence when the druidon's right next to them.)
SacredCultivator wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:07 amAnd overall, it seems they have a Soul / answer to every given situation to the point of, "Why are they struggling?" just take out the appropriate tool for a given task and win.
Yeah, I also feel that way. I think they need a set list of 8-12 ryuusouls/abilities and go from there, because as it is the tools feel like a McGuffin/deus ex machina.
I can easily imagined that the clones aren't as powerful as the originals and everytime you clone yourself, they just get weaker and weaker. There's actually a character in My Hero Academia who had a brawl with all his clones and wonders if he's the original one or a clone.

We have seen various one off McGuffins in other Sentai shows like KyuuRanger and Kyouryuuger and don't really recall the heavy criticism those shows got for that mechanic (not saying that was the only heavy criticism for those shows). I like to think of it as the Shark Repellent joke in the 60s Batman movie. Why they have this? Just because they can.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”