KR Zi-O 35 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon May 27, 2019 12:50 am

☆☆☆☆☆
45%
☆☆☆☆
32%
☆☆☆
23%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 22
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 35 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 3 / 5 (11 votes)

Alt Title: Waiting for the Inoue other shoe to fall

Okay, I'll admit that I really liked this episode. It has strong characters, it has interesting characters, and they're sort of doing interesting things. Inoue is bullshit on a lot of things, but he's usually pretty good at setting up scenarios that draw the viewer in.

At the very least, you have to admit Yuuko is pretty fun to watch. I don't know if she's truly innocent, but the fact that she might be instantly draws on sympathies from the viewer.

Matsuda Kenji's guest appearance is sadly a bit part though.

Suddenly a meteor falls from the sky and here's Kamen Rider Ginga to fight everyone. If that transition was sudden and awkward, well, that's how it was in the episode as well. It doesn't break the episode for me, but what the heck??? "Be sure you sell this toy at the end."

So with anything Inoue, I'm just waiting for him to fall into his usual bad tropes. Fortunately, there's only one that really stands out, with the ladies getting into a ridiculous cat fight 17 minutes in, but that's really all there is, thankfully.

What I'm worried about is that this will end in a dumb/tragic way and be kind of nonsensical with how things resolve.

Other random thoughts:
-I think this is the only other female Another Rider besides Blade?
-I'm amazed they bothered to create a theme song for this one character for this mini arc, but it's a pretty good song.
-What's the deal with that one scene of Zi-O seeing through time. Is this another new power or just some random thing that will never get explained?
-I can't help but notice that in the Another Kiva profile on TV-Asahi it says 2019. I just don't know what the numbers mean anymore. Also, her special power is Armed Monsters... and Garuru is a character from the series so... her special power is other people?
-Sougo is 19, his actor is 18. Kitajima Yuuko is 28, her actress is 40. Pretty funny reversal of the Hollywood thing, since she is literally old enough to be his mom.
-What is going on with this pie scene. Is Tsukuyomi a spicy foods lover? Was that ever mentioned before?
-Geiz, I'm pretty sure you're just as virginal as Sougo, who are you to judge?

Concerns
-Despite putting up the framework of an intriguing backstory, I worry the details will be where it gets fucked up
-We've established this is Sougo's first love, but nothing in the story reflects it. Sougo isn't emotionally moved to be reunited with her, and to her, he's nobody. Soooo... how is this going to play out given that intro?
-Despite knowing her backstory, we really don't know any details about the crime Yuuko was accused of committing. Like we know it's murder, but that's it.
-Either way, Ginga is going to suck. Either he'll have no backstory and he's just there to be a power-up, or he's going to have a rushed backstory which no one will care about. Stick to the making the Kiva storyline good please?
-Please don't underuse your guest actors...
-Please don't make Yuuko like a total bitch for no reason. Knowing Inoue, she's going to end up being a terrible person who dies at the end for some reason. Also, bandaging up kids to suspected murderer to ungrateful queen sounds like the kind of broken character arc that Inoue would bring to the table. (Maybe Inoue watched Sherlock and went "I could do that")
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Zi-O 35 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Ginga should've been a separate arc, rather than some giant space flea from nowhere that the gang must solve while dealing with the MOTW. Sugita's bringing his A-game because he sounds kinda like Wakamoto!Cell.

An interesting tidbit: based on flashbacks involving Yuuko/Tetsuya in different years, Sougo may've unlocked the capability to look into someone's past. If he tries, he may be able to know what happened to Yuuko or who framed her.

Speaking of the MOTW: she wants to be a queen so that she can change the legal system... Interesting that she's fulfilling what the Jackers want the Another Riders to do while she's doing it on her own terms. I like her sewer hole cover usage.

I hope "Master" Kido isn't dead in this timeline.

Eh episode. The premise of Sougo's nostalgia about his first love is not my cup of tea.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

So... Who is this Inoue guy?
The M
Infinity
Favorite series: Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Fumika Baba
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: EARNEST DRIVE
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: "Now, shall we begin the experiment?"

Post by The M »

She is 40 years old ??? She is the simply the best definition of a Milf !!!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I was really surprised when the comet/thing from the sky didn't level Shibuya.

Interesting parallel since the "queen" character in Kiva was supposed to be judging Fangires who stray from the path and fall in love.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Dengar wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:35 pm So... Who is this Inoue guy?
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Inoue_Toshiki
He wrote stuff for like Jetman, Changerion, and Agito.

But somewhere along the way he became like a weird edgelord. So everything became a forced tragedy for him, like 555, Cutie Honey THE LIVE (this I liked despite), Kiva, and Gouraigan. He recently wrote Rider Time Ryuki.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

This episode was peak "Sougo is a complete fucking moron how the fuck has he gotten to age 19 without being hit by a car he's that dumb". I agree Ginga should have been his own arc. Ora vs Another Kiva does make me wish the Time Jackers had monster forms, although I suspect that might end up being the case later on.

Also, are they really getting Kivat's voice actor for the Kiva arc without having him voice Kivat? But then, I suppose they'd need Kiva himself. Unless they have Kivat fly in and become the Ride Watch in a sort of Signalman situation.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

she minds me of the peachy lady from gaim.
I absolutely love her. But i'm kinda sad this random ginga guy is breaking into her story.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The Ginga thing definitely needed its own arc. I guess because they want to do the rest of the rider arcs they didn't have space for it?

Shit, they should have saved Fourze for it and it may have made more sense. When he appeared I thought it was the Neo-Fangires for a split second.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Wow, so I knew from the preview that the different elements of this episode were going to clash, but I really didn't think it'd be this hard.

The episode progresses pretty interestingly, and I'll even say it actually does remind me of the tone of Kiva a little bit. I'm interested to see what happens with Yuuko. I think I'd be disappointed if it turns out it really is just as simple as her being completely innocent, but then the other extreme of her just being plain evil is probably worse.

I'm not too hot about Another Kiva's design though. It looks more like just a strong Fangire rather than a distorted version of Kiva. In fact, I wonder if the intention was to make the suit look like the Fangire King from that series? It is really cool to see her use the Arms Monsters though. Speaking of them, since Jirou looks to be our only returning actor from Kiva, I really hope he plays more of a part in the next episode.

And then an alien Kamen Rider appears and beats up our heroes. Like, what? There's not even a throwaway line about why he's here or why they're fighting. Our cast doesn't even take a moment to express confusion at his sudden appearance before they're all 'let's get him'! Or are we just meant to immediately assume that all Riders from space are evil like Evolt? I know there was no way to make Ginga showing up feel natural, but I'm simultaneously impressed and shocked that they didn't even make an attempt.

I'm morbidly curious about how all of this is going to wrap up in the next episode. I'm sure it'll be a total mess, but it's bound to be a fascinating mess at least.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Holy weird characterization Batman.

I mean I was kinda invested until Ginga showed up. I'm sure Inoue will disappoint me again next week by killing off the "first love" (really, does that even work *inside* a manga anymore?) and we'll be treated to a host of bad trope writing.

Seriously, wtf is with Tsukuyomi liking spicy food? Why mention it now? I'm assuming this is some sort of Chekhov's gun for the next episode but geez, way to shoehorn it in.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I initially thought Zi-O was going to do the Neo-Fangires but realized that they don't appear until 2023.

I want to know how Yuuko is able to use the Arms Monsters. I don't believe they would blindly follow Another Kiva.

Kiva is getting the short end of stick of the new type of Zi-O stories. Where's Wataru? The previous stories had a connection to the original series. This is just a Zi-O story using the Kiva style of storytelling.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

I'm assuming that through some plot contrivance he'll receive the Kiva watch from Jirou. Signs are pointing to Wataru's actor being unavailable.

Also the Inoue guy wrote Agito? But that was so good. I mean I guess one of its characters went through a bit too much unnecessary suffering.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Gills was used as a template for every character in 555.

It's striking how different Jetman is to Kiva. You wouldn't think it was done by the same writer.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that was a bit of a moody episode. That said, it's definitely an interesting chance of pace from the usual Zi-O episode, which is nice. This is one of the advantages of having a year-round season; there's time to do something a bit different.

Everyone else has already hit on the big problem for this episode: it suddenly grinds to a halt to deal with KR Ginga. There's really nothing nice I can say about this; it was handled horribly and makes an otherwise interesting episode a mess. Ginga should have been his own episode.

As for the A-story itself though, I find the contrast to Sougo interesting. Here is a person who wants to be a ruler, and it's even for not entirely selfish reasons. But ultimately, as Geiz points out, it's still rooted in revenge, so it's not coming from a noble place. Still, she knows exactly what she's doing and has a plan to accomplish her goals, which is very much unlike happy-go-stupid Sougo. It's almost a what-if-Sougo-was-smart-and-motivated kind of story.

The show's logic on how Another Riders behave is entirely broken, though. Most of them have been brainless beasts or berserkers at best; however Another Kiva is fully aware and is essentially using her power as a Rider would, rather than becoming a mindless monster.

Also mindless: everything about "first loves". Man, that was ham-fisted.

Please don't suck, part 2.

PS Can anyone tell what KR suit(s) Ginga was kitbashed from?

PPS Now I really want some Apple pie. Damn you, Decade Zi-O!
takenoko wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:50 am -What's the deal with that one scene of Zi-O seeing through time. Is this another new power or just some random thing that will never get explained?
My money is on the later. "Oh, this guy is a time rider? Okay, well then let's have him see the past"
-Sougo is 19, his actor is 18. Kitajima Yuuko is 28, her actress is 40. Pretty funny reversal of the Hollywood thing, since she is literally old enough to be his mom.
That's actually something that left me a bit uneasy throughout the episode. They clearly cast the actress based on her abilities and presence first and foremost, so she totally kills it as this mature, collected woman who wants to dominate the world. She does not, however, pass for being 28 (if you had asked me, I'd guess 33, which is admittedly still well under her actual age). So juxtaposing her against Sougo is just really weird; it's pretty much impossible to buy her as being Sougo's first crush.
-Geiz, I'm pretty sure you're just as virginal as Sougo, who are you to judge?
:lol:
BreadToku wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:51 pm I'm not too hot about Another Kiva's design though. It looks more like just a strong Fangire rather than a distorted version of Kiva.
That's actually a really good observation. I like the suit and I really like the face (as is usually the case with ARs), but it sure doesn't look like Kiva...
Last edited by ViRGE on Thu May 16, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”