Ryusoulger 09 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon May 27, 2019 12:45 am

★★★★★
33%
★★★★
22%
★★★
No votes
★★
33%
11%

Total votes: 9
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 09 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 3.36 / 5 (11 votes)

Alt Title: Don't be so smart, smart guy

I'm not totally sure I understand what to take away from this episode. Don't be a Hamlet and just think your life away? It's okay to be smart, just have the confidence to tell your idiot friends what to do? I mean trust your idiot friends?

This episode needs a real "Oh yeah, Melto, your brains really saved the say." rather than the smart guy in the group going "Oh, my friends aren't that bad, maybe I should trust them" all while Asuna eats her life away, and Koh is knocking Towa out for the flimsiest of reasons.

Not that the episode didn't have enjoyable moments, but there's times I wished these guys weren't all dumb all the time. Y'know?

That witch character was pretty good, kind of sad to see it underutilized by just being the new guy's disguise.

That salaryman has been in a few toku:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Mizuno_Tomonori

Poor Bamba, totally left out. But there's no thinking put into how it's set up. Bamba, by happenstance, happens upon a guy who just has the key to solving the monster problem. Did the actor get in a fight with his costars and get sent off on his own or something?

Poor Kishiryuu-Oh Triken. Not only should have this been introduced sooner, but it doesn't even get its own category on the official website, since it's just Three Knights with Triken as the head. (How are you getting the Triken sword out of Ankyrose? Oh, stop asking reasonable questions, got it.)
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Re: Ryusoulger 09 released

Post by resop2 »

https://twitter.com/MurotAngerme66/stat ... 0597486592

The super sentai we should have gotten...
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Finally, a Yakumo episode! I was starting to think we'd just skip over pink and blue entirely.

Anyhow, this episode unfortunately wasn't very good. In order to focus on Melto, the writers made everyone else pick up the idiot ball. Not that the others are especially sharp to begin with (in fact Koh was probably at his normal level this week), but everyone else had to get taken down a notch so that the smart guy could look extra smart.

I think the moral they were going for is that the others needed to learn to trust Melto's brains, and Melto needed to learn to trust that the others could do what was needed of them. But if that is indeed what the writers were going for, then unfortunately they didn't succeed in creating an engaging script from those ideas.

And I wouldn't otherwise be too hard on this episode since it's clearly a budget-breather after the two-parter, but then we were hit with the bombshell from Bamba's quest: Minosaurs can also be created from inanimate objects. I very rarely say this, but WTF? Nothing about that makes any sense within the series' lore. The whole shtick for the minosaurs is that they're fueled by negative emotions (a Sentai trope if there ever was one). Except that a diorama in a box can't have negative emotions, because it's a damn box!

Plenty of other Sentai series have created their MOTWs from inanimate objects, so the idea itself is fine. But that concept is outright absurd for Ryusoulger; you can't combine those two tropes in this fashion because they're inherently incompatible.

If it wasn't for next week's preview, I would have assumed that the writers are pulling an abort maneuver and getting away entirely from making minosaurs out of humans. But that's clearly not the case. So other than providing an excuse for why there wasn't a suited MOTW this week, I don't know what the writers were thinking here.

At least Bamba got to kill something, I suppose. But destroying a box doesn't come with any moral quandary to make it interesting.
takenoko wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:45 am Poor Bamba, totally left out. But there's no thinking put into how it's set up. Bamba, by happenstance, happens upon a guy who just has the key to solving the monster problem. Did the actor get in a fight with his costars and get sent off on his own or something?
Speaking of happenstance, the Ryusoulgers just happen to casually show up at the one event where the Druidons were hanging out and working on an evil scheme?
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

There's a common concept of animism in Japanese culture, about applying souls and feelings to inanimate objects such as belongings and furniture. I think Ryusoulger playing on that would felt better had they established a more spiritual focus of the show from the beginning though.

Anyhow, I really liked this episode. There's a question raised about whether it's better to think things through or to take action, and neither is always the right answer. The characters other than Melto were acting kinda dumb but not to an absurd degree in my opinion, and I really liked the scenes he had with Master Blue. Plus his method of figuring out the dimensions of the 'box' they were in and where the keyhole was located was kinda cool.

Bamba's subplot was brought down by how much it relied on happenstance and coincidence, but I do at least like that the day wasn't entirely saved by the focus character while everyone else was just completely helpless, which would have usually been the case for these kinds of episodes.

This really needed to be episode 2 or 3 for a variety of reasons though.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I can't believe they actually did it. After all that build up. Bamba actually killed the host. So edgy...

But actually, this episode was kind of strange. Like, Melto was actually in the right the whole time and just had to yell at his idiot team mates to get them to follow his plan that worked? I don't really get it.

Thank fuck Bamba is actually hyper competent and saved the day once again. It's amazing how much more enjoyable a Sentai season is when there is at least one character you really like.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:54 amSpeaking of happenstance, the Ryusoulgers just happen to casually show up at the one event where the Druidons were hanging out and working on an evil scheme?
I mean, that's just how it is otherwise there's no episode where the good guys beat the bad guys. I mean, how else will good guys stop crime, investigation and preventative measures? Of course not!

What bugs me is that these two random events just happen to be part of the same thing. Bamba pulling a deus ex machina just feels the slightest bit unsatisfying due to how random everything is?
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

preview discussion:
Spoiler

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK IS GOING ON WITH THE SUICIDE DISCUSSION???

I mean, holy shit, the stuff with Ui is one thing, but a guy that is ACTIVELY trying to kill himself??? did I miss something where they're trying to change mental attitudes about suicide??? this is getting a BIT dark....

btw, if this needs to be deleted, I understand.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

takenoko wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:45 am Poor Kishiryuu-Oh Triken. Not only should have this been introduced sooner, but it doesn't even get its own category on the official website, since it's just Three Knights with Triken as the head. (How are you getting the Triken sword out of Ankyrose? Oh, stop asking reasonable questions, got it.)
The second sword or rather two blades is not from ankyrose but rather from Triken's butt, (the torso of Kishiryuu-Oh Triken). The chest glow together with the sword
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I'll say this much: the beginning felt extremely cliche until it didn't. My main issue with the plot is the same as other posters'; it feels like the rest of the Ryuusoulgers should've realized that something was afoot earlier on, and making Melto average enough to notice that magical treasure chests seem suspicious after you're eaten by a giant one isn't the same as making him *smart,* per se (thankfully, this improved for me during the final act of the episode with Melto figuring out how to escape the pocket reality). It feels like the directing was at fault here more than the overall story in the first half, but then it switched to better directing/weaker story in the second half?

The intent of the episode was probably to give Melto some much-needed fleshing out, and I think it succeeded to a good (if not too great) degree. He's far easier to define as a character now and he's a bit more human. With that said, my main issue with it was same one that made me find Koh's revenge complex problematic: there was hardly anything to set up his reuniting and/or flashback with his master from an emotional perspective. Focusing at least a little on the masters may become tiring if they did it every episode, I admit, but knowing so little about Melto's past up to now subtracted from the experience.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

hiro9796 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:14 pm
takenoko wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:45 am Poor Kishiryuu-Oh Triken. Not only should have this been introduced sooner, but it doesn't even get its own category on the official website, since it's just Three Knights with Triken as the head. (How are you getting the Triken sword out of Ankyrose? Oh, stop asking reasonable questions, got it.)
The second sword or rather two blades is not from ankyrose but rather from Triken's butt, (the torso of Kishiryuu-Oh Triken). The chest glow together with the sword
Ah I missed that, thanks for the correction. Also, I have follow-up questions.

>there was hardly anything to set up his reuniting and/or flashback with his master from an emotional perspective.

I could have seen it being a lot more impactful if the setup were better, but yeah... The series isn't terrible, but it really hovers on the "that was sorta bad" to "that was sorta good" at best.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by resop2 »

Kudo "Lupin Yellow" Haruka will be the cover girl for the July UpToBoy magazine.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

resop2 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am Kudo "Lupin Yellow" Haruka will be the cover girl for the July UpToBoy magazine.
What's that have to do with Ryusoulger? You know you can create threads right?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by resop2 »

takenoko wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 12:39 pm
resop2 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 am Kudo "Lupin Yellow" Haruka will be the cover girl for the July UpToBoy magazine.
What's that have to do with Ryusoulger? You know you can create threads right?
She was just dancing in the ending credits of Ryusoulger.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”