Ryusoulger 10 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:34 am

★★★★★
45%
★★★★
45%
★★★
9%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 10 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 3.29 / 5 (7 votes)

Alt Title: Pink Power

I ended up really enjoy that episode. There were a few dumb parts, but Asuna's antics ended up winning me over. Got to love the surprise during the mecha fight when she Rube Goldbergs her way into victory.

And her human level fight was good too. Loved the use of the moving camera and laughed when she threw a mook to his death.

I notice the writer and director were both different this time. Never heard of Director Kashiwagi Hiroki but nice job with the camera work. Kaneko Kaori did a great job with the writing this time. When dealing with a serious subject like disability, this could have easily fallen either into either being overly saccharine or overly naive, but it luckily doesn't do either.

Like you can't fix a broken hand, but be there for your boyfriend and hopefully he'll forgive you.

Easily the least stupid episode yet, 5 stars.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Ryusoulger 10 released

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Personally, I thought this episode sucked. The whole feel of "Oh look, Asuna's a girl who can't do anything right" just permeated from every pore from the guys ignoring her when they're discussing the Minusaur - and then Melto having the gall to claim that she was the one talking about snacks - to her having trouble picking Mori up over the railing despite having super-strength. Yeah yeah, I know afterward, she threw him up really high but well, are they ever consistent about her needing to be angry to use it? Doubtful because there was that moment before where she was dusting that old dude's dino knick-knacks and she broke one by accident. So, the whole dramatic tension they were going for just felt fake to me and didn't help in any way.

Was it even too hard to give Asuna the mecha fight? Even though she was the one the formation centered on, she still had to be guided through it and only won because "Oh, tee hee, I goofed". It didn't feel any special to her and all the "We made the strategy, you just hit the joystick and follow orders" felt, I wanna say patronizing to her and maybe me as a viewer.

Gag, there's been better Girl power episodes in the franchise. Even Goseiger had done better with Cheerleading Moune and the Gosei Girls episode. I'll end this with that bit right there.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I did have similar concerns watching it, but it bothered me less because the guys being a jerk to Asuna wasn't her fault and it mostly just made them look bad. Same with the Asuna using her monstrous power thing, if the writer had forgotten she had it, I would have been pretty mad at the inconsistent representation. It did seem a bit weird to have it play out as long as it did, the dramatic tension did feel fake because of that.

Definitely a borderline problematic episode for me, but I ended up enjoying it. I could have easily ended up on the other side of the track, given how recent sentai series have been (Like Hame from Kyuu had all terrible character focused episodes as far as I recall?) And I did like that episodes 9 and 10 were both written be female writers. (Where are you, female Toei directors?) Here's hoping Asuna's next character episode will be stronger.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The guys shutting down Pink when she was talking was strange. It doesn't really fit in with any of their characterisation. Also, are Pink episodes all going to be about her stopping people from killing themselves?

The robot fight was dumb. They figure out the monsters gimmick and then Red just goes and jobs?
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I think this episode was on par with last week's, which is to say I thought it was pretty good. For being her first focus episode, I feel like we didn't really dig into Asuna's personality or learn anything new about her, so that's a downside, but I think it is made up for a little by the standalone victim-of-the-week story being above average (especially compared to the ones we've already seen on this show).

All the action was really nice too, from Asuna's beatdown of those mooks along with dynamic camera work, to the mostly comedic mecha fight. All in all, just a decent outing, which is really all I'm asking for the show at this time.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

im liking how its pretty dark despite the Ryusoulgers being rather light hearted (mostly) themselves. all the victims seem to embrace death or are willing to die; but this week was the first that the VOTW fed into his minusaur and was fully aware of it. the wiseru angle was good too .... except that Asuna's brute strength felt forgotten up and until the very end. i guess they wanted to make her seem like the Lucky klutz girl ... who cant sing. next i bet she cant cook making only poison. hmm ... shes basically Akane Tendo at that point.

ALSO Asuna has those Tsukasa double long fingers!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Overall it was a decent character focus episode (certainly better than Melto's), though it definitely struggled a bit with the plot. As everyone has already noted, it undermines the character to have Asuna win on dumb luck, and having the guys ignore her is definitely not consistent with how she's been treated previously. The saving grace in terms of writing definitely the victim of the week, who had an interesting backstory and the resolution, while open ended, wasn't incredibly convenient or incredibly stupid.

I'm not sure what to make of the suicidal victim, however. He was passively suicidal, which is less awkward than actively suicidal Ui (which felt like a Very Special Episode). But still, that's the second one in 10 episodes.

As for the action, that was ace. The long take was well done, and I'm still impressed how they're able to transition from a drone shot to a handheld shot as smoothly as they do.
johnnytalker
Adventure
Favorite series: Super Sentai Series

Post by johnnytalker »

I was waiting for Asuna to say, "Yosha, lucky!"
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

johnnytalker wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:17 am I was waiting for Asuna to say, "Yosha, lucky!"
Don't bring me that evil, lest I hunt you down.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

This episode was more satisfying than I was expecting. I'm glad the could've-been kinda-romance subplot I was fearing went nowhere, and Asuna's more comedic angle didn't seem to interfere with the story's (and, in fact, her own) more serious moments. Unlike the last episode, which seemed to want to define who Melto already was, this felt more like it aimed to develop and grow Asuna's character, and the growth/arc (even if we probably won't see its impact directly in future episodes) was definitely well done. Other elements (particularly the host of the week literally addressing his own monster) also felt like a breath of fresh air. Human dignity/value still feels awkwardly absent as an argument against death, but I'm certain that's a different culture thing. Overall, this was quite solid and I'd definitely appreciate more standalones if they're more like this.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

Wow, first good episode. Hopefully they continue this.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

The moment I saw the Rube Goldberg go off, I though "Why are they giving Pink BokenYellow's klutziness?"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Was BoukenYellow clutzy? Because she was also supposed to be a strong type
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:54 pm Was BoukenYellow clutzy? Because she was also supposed to be a strong type
Yes. IIRC, she hijacked DiaBouken once and promptly made it trip.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”