KR Zi-O 38 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:58 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
25%
☆☆
6%
No votes

Total votes: 16
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 38 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 4.21 / 5 (14 votes)

Alt Title: I'm seeing double Kabutos, 4 Kabutos!

So I don't think this was a bad episode, but the key to it is based on a trope that I highly dislike. When someone gains more power only because someone else told them they could do it.

It's a gross trope because it usually takes the form of a man telling it to a woman, like giving permission (Metroid Other M is an example of this). Instead of Tsukuyomi gaining power by learning something or having character development, she just gains more power because Schwartz said so.

It's also bad when Sougo does it for Kagami. Are you seriously telling me Kagami never became Kabuto before because he didn't have enough heart? Because Kagami is a pretty hearty guy. Again, instead of Kagami growing on his own, he just gains the power to become Kabuto because Sougo said a few shallow lines to make him feel better.

Zi-O tends to be weak nostalgia because they often traffic in bad nostalgia. Instead of characters growing or continuing on with their lives post-series like in Gokaiger, most of the Rider guests here feel like they were plucked out of their series, flaws and all.

Whoa, what a jarring way to return from the CM break. I thought I fucked up the cuts.

Points for the spinning transformation sequence.

4/5 stars? It's not a bad episode, but it feels like Kagami's guest role was a bit wasted, like he was only there to give Sougo the Kabuto Watch. Think Yaguruma did the best here, since he at least came off as pitiable at the end.

And Sougo's yet to use the Kiva or Kabuto Watch. Not to be an impatient kid, but show us the shiny new toys.

Pat yourself on the back if you guessed Tsukuyomi and Schwartz are siblings, I guess?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Zi-O 38 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

To get rid of the insanely huge meteorite, Woz and Sougo must get to it and Woz must use Ginga, but the Hell Brothers escalate the problem.

Kagami finally becomes Kabuto, but of course, he doesn’t fight like Tendou & bows to Sougo.

Tragedy strikes for Yaguruma once again. Welcome to hell.

Care to tell what happened to your sister, Schwartz? Are you hoping that she’ll be rid of her amnesia once she’s proficient with time manipulation?? Can't wait to see Heure & Ora's reaction in the event they find out.

I'm guessing Schwartz's other line about Sougo & Tsukuyomi's growing powers was the hint Another Woz left his Oma counterpart with.

OK episode, though for the b-plot, it’s getting interesting.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

#NotMyKabuto #NotMyHibiki

I really wish they'd quit it with the Replacing of Main Riders.

I'd much rather them just did something with that specific character versus replacing the main rider.

siiiiiiiiiigh... I feel like these Zi-O is more being used more for Plot Hole Filler than telling a story in the style of that series.
Decade was so good. The kabuto episodes of Decade Crapp all over this one.

I'm ginually sad about all this. I was REAAAAAALLLY looking forward to these episodes.

arrrrrrggggggghhh... Maybe i'm getting old.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Well, they bring back who they can since they have to do all the Heisei Riders.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Once again, I quite liked this episode. Action was good, story was excitingly fun enough, made for a fun tribute with it's heavy use of Kabuto characters. Just a neat and satisfying package all around.

That said, I am one of the people who think Kagami turning into Kabuto is kinda iffy for a variety of reasons. If it was purely treated as it being a necessary thing to beat Another Kabuto (since Another Riders are beaten by that same rider's power), then that'd honestly be fine and I'd have no problem with it. But they treat it more as a thing about Kagami needing to find confidence in himself and also being 'worthy' of the Kabuto Zector, and I don't like either of those things. Him turning into Gatack already was the solution to both those issues he had in the original series, after all.

Also the stuff with Tsukiyomi and Tsukasa honestly isn't badly done but... I just don't care? I only just barely care about Tsukiyomi and I definitely don't care about the Timejackers, so this revelation of their connection still means nothing to me. My biggest hope for now is that she does something cool later on. Although it's hilarious that Schwartz didn't immediately recognise his little sister a long time ago considering she still looks and dresses exactly the same except taller.

That all aside, I still had a really good time. Although I have to say how they've been continuing to show off Ginga Finally is strange. Not bad, but strange. Woz's first proper transformation into it doesn't get the camera's focus, instead being shared in that (admittedly really cool!) six-man henshin. And then his insert song plays for the first time in a place you wouldn't expect it. Granted, saving the planet from a giant meteor is a pretty triumphant thing, it was all just strangely not what I'm used to.

Random note:
-Geiz's ringtone is Revive's standby music!? And that was a regular phone so he had to have recorded it himself and then set it as such, which is amazing to imagine.
-Zi-O can just suck the others into Trinity Form even while he is in space. That's kind of scary to think about! Imagine if either Geiz or Woz were in the bathroom or something, and Sougo on the other side of the city suddenly decided 'It's Trinity Time'!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

BreadToku wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33 amRandom note:
-Geiz's ringtone is Revive's standby music!? And that was a regular phone so he had to have recorded it himself and then set it as such, which is amazing to imagine.
-Zi-O can just suck the others into Trinity Form even while he is in space. That's kind of scary to think about! Imagine if either Geiz or Woz were in the bathroom or something, and Sougo on the other side of the city suddenly decided 'It's Trinity Time'!
Both of these comments are excellent lol
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

takenoko wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 am
BreadToku wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:33 amRandom note:
Both of these comments are excellent lol
Its suck for them if that really happen since Sougo hold that watch and my impression of worry was true on this rather than Kamen Rider W. Theoretically, Geiz can initiate it too if he want to but since Zi-O form the centre and the name would become Geiz Trinity instead of Zi-O. That aside, its awkward enough as it is with men, but I would be very worried if the ability of ZI-O Trinity watch that forces others to unite and transform with you from human form without any warning were in Good Striker/Jackpot Striker when using Patran Ugou/Lupin Tri-Colour. Not to mention, Lupin and Pat had chicks. My concern is that if the users are all females or males only, its nothing to worry much but having a mix, Oh La La. I can see what is going to happen if at least, one of the members, regardless of gender are taking a bath at the time the unison is initiated :shock: :lol:
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

They messed up Gatack's sounds AGAIN. They used the wrong Clock Up, much like last week, and they used the wrong Cast off, much like last week. EXCEPT the second Cast Off of the episode uses the correct one! It's level of not caring about stuff which makes me mad at this show.

Anyway, Den-O next week. Please don't suck.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I kind of wish that the Kabuto Zecter transformed into the ride watch so Gatack could summon a Kabuto to fight alongside.

Kagamis whole arc was always that he was different from Tendou, and thus Gatack and Kabuto were opposites. But when they joined forces, nothing could stop them.

I did enjoy Geiz this episode. He realised Yagurama was full of shit and decided to kill Kageyama himself. Kagami Kabuto saving Geiz with a rider kick to that music was pretty neat.

It's a shame they wasted the insert theme on Woz doing nothing in the meteor as opposed to Full Force or Lord of the Speed.

Worse arc than Agito, better than Blade and Kiva. Definitely better than the Decade one.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Chibi Tsukuyomi wore all white. Chibi Umika wore all yellow. Umika was Lupin Yellow. Does that mean that Tsukuyomi is a White Ranger?
Last edited by resop2 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger

Now, count up your sins!

Post by hiro9796 »

I just hope the arc onwards would improve and will be made interesting. To be honest, I totally lose interest on Zi-O story since the introductions and the fillers are rather messed up. I don't even know what is going on. By episode 16, I felt rather bored of the story about being King, this and that. At least, from when White Woz make his debut, I do get the interest of this series again and my favourite arc so far would be Kiva and DiEnd/Blade. While I thought its hard to catch up since I just download the episodes and not watching them. I never thought I catch up to now by watching (the main episodes) in just a few days.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Man, they really couldn't just do something unique or at least decent to the canon, could they?

Kagami as Kabuto literally nullifies all of his character development in growing to become Gatack, the whole point to him being Gatack was that he was different from Tendou but could still achieve the same kind of greatness through his own methods and principles. But nope, Kagami apparently never outgrew the complex of the Kabuto Zecter rejecting him the first time wayyy back at the very start of his series and resolving that ego damage was worth tossing away all his other growth :/

Yaguruma being a broken, fixated shell who never moved past being in Hell all alone was somehow more on point with the series than everything else with Kagami was, so I suppose thats something. The sideplot with Schwartz and Tsukuyomi is trying so hard to be important but its just coming off as slow and boring. They managed to wedge Kadoya Tsukasa into a dull bit role and its infuriating.

Hoping Den-O is at least entertaining, if nothing else.
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:58 pm It's a gross trope because it usually takes the form of a man telling it to a woman, like giving permission (Metroid Other M is an example of this). Instead of Tsukuyomi gaining power by learning something or having character development, she just gains more power because Schwartz said so.
but she already has the power since young, and its been implied that her power is growing gradually over time since she first used her power on the show
contains discussion of next episode
anyway, do they actually have Drive ridewatch or not? cuz woz saying they still needed 3(kabuto,den-o,drive) in the opening, and next is den-o but sougo already getting the final form next episode
hiro9796
TQG
TQG

Now, count up your sins!

Post by hiro9796 »

Cross wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:40 am
contains discussion of next episode
anyway, do they actually have Drive ridewatch or not? cuz woz saying they still needed 3(kabuto,den-o,drive) in the opening, and next is den-o but sougo already getting the final form next episode
They do have it anyway but it is stolen by Geiz. If I am not mistaken, they do need to obtain Ghost Ride Watch during Ghost arc. Supposedly they will need it either way because whatever Sougo had is the requirement mentioned by Oma Zi-O and Woz. But do remember that Sougo had yet to obtain Drive Ride Watch officially from Tomari Shinnosuke or his allies. They could just cramp the whole thing anyway if they decided that Den-O will be the last arc for tribute episodes. Final Form does not necessarily mean they need all 19 Ride Watches (the primary Riders) from Kuuga to Build to create the watch for Final Form Zi-O.
Layton13
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Quote: It's showtime!

Post by Layton13 »

Dante ShadowRoadz wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:32 pm
Kagami as Kabuto literally nullifies all of his character development in growing to become Gatack, the whole point to him being Gatack was that he was different from Tendou but could still achieve the same kind of greatness through his own methods and principles. But nope, Kagami apparently never outgrew the complex of the Kabuto Zecter rejecting him the first time wayyy back at the very start of his series and resolving that ego damage was worth tossing away all his other growth :/
I personally disagree. It doesn't really throw away his character development through the series, it pretty much just bookends it. The series showed him that he didn't need to be Kabuto to be a hero and that him being him was all he needed to do. This feels more like the Kabuto Zekter acknowledging his growth as a person and hero and accepting him as someone worthy of wielding him when the times call for it. It's not that he needs to be Kabuto, but that in the eyes of the Zekter he is just as worthy a hero as Tendo is.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”